Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I got a live one commenting on my youtube channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wrestling is sirius bizness

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anyone who does't recognize that wrestling is silly is an idiot. Yes, within that silliness there's the room for compelling narratives and emotional content that really can touch you. But it's all just pretend fighting that spend 80 years pretending very loudly to not be pretend.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Didn't Ric Flair literally show his rear end on the reg back when he was on the top of the mountain?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ric Flair: woo
someone in the crowd: boo fake

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Didn't Ric Flair literally show his rear end on the reg back when he was on the top of the mountain?

Flair would go out of his way to make people look good, up to and including getting his tights pulled down.

Bob Holly wrote about how Flair was the first big name guy to give him a chance to look good in a match, even though he had no need or reason to, considering he was supposed to be a jobber there to get smacked around to make others look good at that time in his career.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Hellblazer187 posted:

Anyone who does't recognize that wrestling is silly is an idiot. Yes, within that silliness there's the room for compelling narratives and emotional content that really can touch you. But it's all just pretend fighting that spend 80 years pretending very loudly to not be pretend.

Wrestling is a narrative form. It isn't any more inherently ridiculous than ballet or theater. "It's just grown men playfighting in their underwear bro" is an incredibly lazy cop out to avoid critically thinking about the medium

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cerebral Bore posted:

ric flair sold for madusa in an intergender match and made her look good

how many other guys of that generation would sell for a woman let alone put her over

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ballet and theater have good music, which is more than can be said for WWE's output in at least the last 8 years (when was the Deuce & Domino tag theme? 12 years ago?)

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 27, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think Poppy was the most cutting edge musical artist to work with WWE in the last 20. And even then they used her jokey angst song with a straight face.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, wrestling is only inherently silly if you're going to make the argument that pretty much all stage fighting is inherently silly.

To me personally wrestling is theater in the round and one of the most interesting performance arts out there. It's an art form that not only asks you to imagine those few hours in the arena as real but to imagine it all as real. That the performer off the stage is the same as the character on it. Wrestling asks you to connect with the characters in a way that is very different from other types of theater and performance in a way that doesn't have to be silly.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

coconono posted:

I think Poppy was the most cutting edge musical artist to work with WWE in the last 20. And even then they used her jokey angst song with a straight face.
They did BABYMETAL once as well which wasn't bad at all

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

They should go back to Limp Bizkit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
NXT was the first place Judas was heard, I think.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, wrestling is only inherently silly if you're going to make the argument that pretty much all stage fighting is inherently silly.

I'd be willing to make that argument, but only really because all fighting is inherently silly.

Your vision of wrestling as an art form feels the very correct.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Chris James 2 posted:

Ballet and theater have good music, which is more than can be said for WWE's output in at least the last 8 years (when was the Deuce & Domino tag theme? 12 years ago?)

STS did the Prime Time Players theme 8 years ago and Sugar Tongue Slim is art

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

coconono posted:

They had Code Orange who are very good. Maybe not cutting edge in the sense of pushing boundaries, but I don't think Poppy really is either.

There's a time & place for dumb angsty metal & lets be real here, wrestling is one of those.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

forkboy84 posted:

They had Code Orange who are very good. Maybe not cutting edge in the sense of pushing boundaries, but I don't think Poppy really is either.

There's a time & place for dumb angsty metal & lets be real here, wrestling is one of those.

Yeah I guess multimedia artist with an elaborate metaverse isn’t really that cutting edge anymore.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

coconono posted:

Yeah I guess multimedia artist with an elaborate metaverse isn’t really that cutting edge anymore.

Someone should get Bal-Sagoth to do their entrance theme

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 27, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

coconono posted:

If that's what her deal is, it definitely didn't come across during the show. All I saw was a band come out and play a song.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

coconono posted:

Is that what she is? I thought she was just a Youtuber with a music career because that's how the world works now a days.

I mean fair enough if that's what you're into but I just listen to music for the music like the out-of-touch old fart that I am.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/viqqyy/status/1264704446791065606

whats this dumbass poo poo even supposed to mean?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They keep thinking there's a conspiracy theory behind why Kylie Rae isn't in AEW anymore, despite her herself repeatedly saying she didn't leave because of anyone

"Something terrible happened to someone and everyone is covering it up" is more of a juicy story than "she's pretty shy and felt more pressure than she felt comfortable with among that large of an audience", but that doesn't mean it's more believable

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ringo Roadagain posted:

https://twitter.com/TheRiottKick/status/1264704811414573057?s=20

We all know stardom pays fumi off

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ringo Roadagain posted:

So it's bad that no one reported on Kylie's bullying but also bad that reporters reported Hana's bullying? Huh, ok.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ringo Roadagain posted:

She's talking about Dave mentioning the suicide method, which isn't really what he should have done but he was far from the only person to do so and not even the first to do so even in English. She and her friend spent like half a day arguing and quote tweeting people about it. It felt pretty gross to me at the time like they were using the whole tragedy as a cudgel to feel morally superior and grind that axe that everyone seems to have with Meltzer so I blocked them both.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

:rant: “Grrr Dave is always putting New Japan over, Bushiroad MUST be paying him off!”

:smuggo: “Ugh, Dave isn’t going down a conspiracy rabbit hole. Must be because Bushiroad isn’t paying him off...”

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/WrestlingInc/status/1265813712105082881

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

Wrestling is a narrative form. It isn't any more inherently ridiculous than ballet or theater. "It's just grown men playfighting in their underwear bro" is an incredibly lazy cop out to avoid critically thinking about the medium

I've probably done more thinking about wrestling than any other subject in my life. The conclusion I draw is that it's silly. And that's OK. Silly doesn't mean bad. Silly does mean you shouldn't get all in a huff when it's not serious enough.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ok, I can agree with that definition. It doesn't have to be serious in the same way it doesn't have to be silly and there is no reason to be mad that either exists.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Chris James 2 posted:

They keep thinking there's a conspiracy theory behind why Kylie Rae isn't in AEW anymore, despite her herself repeatedly saying she didn't leave because of anyone

"Something terrible happened to someone and everyone is covering it up" is more of a juicy story than "she's pretty shy and felt more pressure than she felt comfortable with among that large of an audience", but that doesn't mean it's more believable
Yeah, I get why there was some initial skepticism, but...we all looked into it. There was nothing. And the only thing I've heard from people who actually talked to Kylie about it was exactly what you said: She didn't feel she was emotionally ready to be the face of the women's division for the big new startup with the big new TV deal. There was absolutely more floating around, sure, but nothing confirmable. And even if it was? None of these idiots could ever get it through their skulls that reporter with any scruples would ever report on just about any of the dark poo poo they thought it might be without Kylie's cooperation.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

She's talking about Dave mentioning the suicide method, which isn't really what he should have done but he was far from the only person to do so and not even the first to do so even in English. She and her friend spent like half a day arguing and quote tweeting people about it. It felt pretty gross to me at the time like they were using the whole tragedy as a cudgel to feel morally superior and grind that axe that everyone seems to have with Meltzer so I blocked them both.
EDIT AFTER SOME TWITTER AND GOOGLE SEARCHES: Wait, she didn't die of the cuts? Then yeah, he shouldn't have reported the method if it wasn't public, the family asked it not to be shared, and it doesn't add anything. Report that she didn't die of the cuts maybe, but not that.

EDIT AGAIN: It looks like the police did the thing where they put out details without linking the details to the person but it was obvious it was her? I can't find any timestamps as to whether that or Kyoko Kimura's press conference came first, but if the police didn't actually release the info as details surrounding Hana's death, then nobody should report it that way.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 28, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It was public because I ended up coming across it on like Yahoo Japan or something.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Neodoomium posted:

It was public because I ended up coming across it on like Yahoo Japan or something.
Yeah, I think you replied right as I edited again, but from what I'm seeing the police didn't explicitly say that Hana Kimura was the person in that prefecture who died in this specific suicide? (It also seems like her mom's press conference asking that nobody report the method got almost no English language traction, which is unfortunate.)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I mean hell, they're already competing for eyes with outlaw mudshows, might as well go with it.

And also seriously, its Dave Meltzer, so we should know the drill by now. He isn't doing this poo poo to be mean spirited, he just word vomits sometimes.

coconono fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 28, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

davidbix posted:

Yeah, I think you replied right as I edited again, but from what I'm seeing the police didn't explicitly say that Hana Kimura was the person in that prefecture who died in this specific suicide? (It also seems like her mom's press conference asking that nobody report the method got almost no English language traction, which is unfortunate.)

I think you're seeing that right. People just saw the police report and put two and two together. Like, it's almost assuredly what happened but Kyoko specifically asked for people to not dig deeper and ultimately what does it matter?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah don't go against Kyoko. That woman is dangerous in the best of times.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kyoko's request for the media not to harass Stardom officials or the police came after WOR was released.

I think the media were trying to interview the neighbours because one of the neighbours told them that Hana left a warning on her door and that's how they corroborated it.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 28, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Kyoko's request for the media not to harass Stardom officials or the police came after WOR was released.

I think the media were trying to interview the neighbours because one of the neighbours told them that Hana left a warning on her door and that's how they corroborated it.
It looks like Stardom's English statement noting Kyoko's request came out after WOR, too. But it looks like Dave also shouldn't have reported what the police said as definitively being about Hana. I don't necessarily have a problem with outlets that reported the police statements in the correct context, but it's tricky and I could find myself being easily swayed to change my mind on that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think Dave is probably repeating what the Japanese media outlets were saying (who also shouldn't have gone into the method either). I don't think there's any need to report the grisly details like that. BUT I think weaponising someone's death to go after a wrestling journalist you hate is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How did she kill herself?

Also that crotch chop is the worst