Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Sounds like Balor is working on some sort of Al Jolson style jazz based gimmick...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I like that one of Show's normal moves is just destroying guys with body shots that look way stiffer than his KO punch

you'd think every match would end with his opponent dead from internal bleeding but it's pro wrestling so they completely no sell them most of the time

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
My favorite part of that wasn't anything he said, so much as the entire giant thing makes it sound like the dedication would be a big deal, possibly controversial, and then at the end it's like 'I'm actually just talking about whether they'd play a tiny graphic at the start of the show'

well loving wow

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I would loving love to see Baron Corbin try to get over Brock's 'I can just kill anyone I want and I love it' charisma/aura

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

hey so I just realized that the main event ended up being a three way

DAVE MELTZER 1
METSFAN 0

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah, not exactly a glass house from which it's great to throw stones from, Bob. He works for the company for which nothing is offside. Didn't they crassly bring up Ferguson to further an angle in one of their episodes last year?

I'm not sure if they did this, but they definitely had Kenny King cut a heel promo related to the cops choking Eric Garner to death

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Sanguinia posted:

Yeah, but the guy's argument was that the 2 to 4 syllable range is the limit for good wrestling names, which is why Hulk Hogan got to keep his name instead of being just Hogan. Randy Savage is also four syllables and is an example he cites specifically as being within range. According to his theory, which lists Rusev, Cesaro and now Adrian Neville, literally every guy who's had one of his names taken away is 5 or more and that's the reason. He conveniently never once mentions Big E Langston, probably because he couldn't think of a totally bullshit excuse for it not fitting his pattern, (or even a non-excuse like an unspoken "exception that proves the rule" like he did Bruno and DiBiase.) I was also amused that he mentioned Bruno but left out Larry Zybyzko who also breaks his dumb theorem.

Or it could be that no one thinks about, cares about, or remembers Big E in any way.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I think it's funny that wrestling fans go nuts on Meltzer when any "journalist" of a "reputable" sport is wrong just as much if not more than him and is also routinely fed utter bullshit by agents/players and regurgitates it with no thought behind it.

Imagine if the only dude writing about pro wrestling was Jon Heyman or Adam Schefter

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Under the vegetable posted:

Yes, this is why Kevin Nash is the greatest wrestler of all time.

This is also why I get such a laugh out of Al Snow, since he has the same philosophy about wrestling as Nash, that it's an artless business existing only to make money, but Al Snow never really drew a dime even in the heyday of Head, and as far as I know was never really a particularly well paid guy.

Well, Kevin Nash never drew either, so they have that much in common

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I don't disagree but Punk is not in any position to say that.

They're not even in the same weight class, it's just pointless grandstanding

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
In general moving from Friday to Wednesday is a good thing

the network talking about 'building around you' and then canceling all of your extra programming immediately and moving you around on the schedule is probably not a good sign though

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
TNA should repackage James Storm as ECKANKAR for a cool product tie in

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I know that more competition is good for the wrestling business, but I want Impact to get canceled so bad just to see how these guys try to spin it as Meltzer still being totally off base

'with Impact now free to be released for free on Youtube, it can reach a far bigger audience than ever before. Destination America was just holding TNA back'

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

modern villian posted:

I feel like it's the day after the 2012 elections when I was so excited to read the cries of the GOP but they just doubled down on the insanity and refused to admit they lost

Well if this proves a good comparison watch out in 2 years when TNA Mecca will be proven right

I would love to hear how reporting a tv show might be canceled is 'defamation of character' though.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Given that a lot of people talked about how good the Nikki Bella vs Naomi match was I'm not sure that's a 'nxt vs main roster' thing so much as 'people really want women's wrestling to get a fair shake'

at least in this case the match actually was really good

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
'A safe space for TNA fans'

lol all of those microaggressions by mean dave meltzer are just triggering the TNA fans with WCW flashbacks.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm seriously confused as to how that guy thinks it is an obvious fact that TNA has more revenue than RoH. I mean out of all of the crazy things he's saying, that one just stands out to me.

They don't sell tickets

They don't hold PPVs

Do we think Destination America is paying them a bunch of money? I feel like I'm missing some key aspect of TNA that makes them seem like a well run and financially secure company to another human being.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Ben Miller is literally a bigfoot

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Skinty McEdger posted:

They have 5 weeks of tv already in the can. They know this isn't going anywhere and there's no continuation of this, that there's absolutely no follow up. And yet still they persist.

TNAMecca is a NO SPOILERS ZONE so maybe they really don't know

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is Meltzer being worked about the relationship between Destination America and TNA? Trust. The. Process.

It would be the most ridiculous carny bullshit to think that a television network would get involved in a worked storyline involving three wrestling companies solely to support a tv show that they've already moved time slots and cut all extra content for

so yeah it's totally happening. destination america are working the boys - disco inferno, 2015

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Every show is comprised entirely of King of the Road matches

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Maybe we could just have cool matches without over the top stupid Face/Heel dynamics? Like how in real sports people root for their favorites and only the New York Yankees are literally hitler.

Or we could have Bray Wyatt be Bray Wyatt and THE AUTHORITY exist so we can have cool badass heels because that's what wrestling was in the 1980s and must always be.

You can have someone like AJ Styles or The Young Bucks be heels simply because they're cocky assholes. If you want to talk about 'reality' or people hating a heel be what draws, then gently caress, how is that not better anyway. I know a lot of people like heel AJ Styles. I sure don't know any loving legitimate sociopaths in real life which seems to be the basis for completely irredeemable evil no likable feature heels.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It's lovely writing but the point was everyone in WWE is just a parity booked midcarder no one cares about or a star created 10-30 years ago

which is true but write an article about it don't spam a recap people are only reading for the results with it

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Bob Ryder beat out Vince Russo, Jon Heyman, and every political figure to be the first person to block me on twitter. loving TNA

Maybe people wouldn't think wrestling was so obviously fake if you didn't have things like <every TNA storyline ever>

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

When are they going to make potato chip flavored lays?

Submit that in the contest next year and you could win a ton of money!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
If Raw was entirely what Vince McMahon wanted it to be, I'm sure it would just be 2 hours and 50 minutes of some bodybuilders flexing while Vince and a co-commentator hyped up how strong and incredible they looked.

And then there would be a 1 v 1 match in the main event ending when someone Vince didn't like was humiliated in the ring.

See you next week on Monday Night Raw!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
She should come to WWE and beat Nikki Bella with a roll up after Charlotte appears on the entrance ramp and distracts everyone

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
He's a talented guy and all, but I don't really want to see a near 50 year old in a poo poo go nowhere gimmick wrestle 1980s territory style in the year 2015

WWE/NXT aren't exactly lacking in talent. When people who might actually have a future can't get a push at all, the last thing we need is guys sticking around 10 years past their sell buy date.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Alain Post posted:

might be the best guy of the last 30-or-so years to never get a real main-event push.

ok I think our issue is that you like this guy a looooot more than I do

so yeah if you think he's like a legend of the business then sure bring him back. To me he's a guy who found the proper level for his talent (midcarder in a dumb gimmick) and got to enjoy it for a long time. He had a good career. I don't doubt that he has the skills to be a good trainer or agent, let him do that. Just keep him off my TV.

Stardust is dumb enough, I don't need a second one. Hopefully the first one gets killed off in this celebrity match and they let Cody Rhodes have a non cartoon gimmick

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I like that both for the crazy opinion about Ambrose, and the fact that 'indy' fans are basically the only reason the WWE is still solvent

The entire product can basically be geared towards 'hardcore' fans now that the Network is the only money generator they have

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Alain Post posted:

The "indy" fans are so important that they gained subscribers after #CancelWWENetwork.

When I say 'indy' fans I mean the people who show up to Summerslam and other events and boo John Cena and chant for Blue Pants and all that poo poo

Imo outside of children the WWE has very very few casual fans now (hence the constant attempts to get mainstream attention lately) they're pretty much dependent on the hardcore fan base that will watch Raw and subscribe to the Network no matter how lovely things get.

There's a reason NXT can sell out a giant stadium.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

I don't really care about the person's taste in wrestling, but did they just not watch Raw or Smackdown for 6 weeks before Summerslam?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
They're doubly dumb because Cena vs Rollins was a great match so even if you take star ratings seriously it was still accurate

I loved Sasha vs Bayley but some of the spots in the match were completely hosed up (like the one where Sasha somehow didn't paralyze herself) so 'near perfect' seems pretty right to me.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

#Taryn'sBottomBitch

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
There's no way that guy isn't being sarcastic right? I mean he obviously is taking a dig at TNA defenders who insist they'll never go under despite them always losing money every year?

No one could be that obtuse as to defend TNA by saying a detractor will have to go out of business due to constant financial losses

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Lots of people have bad taste. For example, I'm hearing scattered reports that Family Guy is a hit show and TNA still has a vocal fanbase

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I think a big issue with women's wrestling is that it's way harder to push people who are poor workers.

Traditionally when you have a male worker being pushed as a top guy despite being limited in the ring, they look like Braun Strowman or Ryback. You can in kayfabe terms put it over that they're just ridiculously strong and tough so they don't need technique.

No one is going to believe that about Eva Marie, so if it's also clear that she's slow, awkward, and lacking in technique, it just destroys any match where you're trying to put her over someone who is clearly way better than her.

I guess that's, you know, the mentality, of an old school kind of person and normally I find that irrelevant, but it just makes me groan watching her matches

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
If the Observer Hall of Fame is supposed to include MMA (is it? or are they separate, shows what I know) I don't really see how you can't put Brock in. He was a top guy in real wrestling, MMA, and fake wrestling. I can't say I know enough about lucha to judge the other part, but at least on the face of it that doesn't seem an insane ballot.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Dave Meltzer was wrong, TNA weren't going off TV until that DASTARDLY EC3 filed his injunction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Lucha Underground isn't really my thing but it has a ton of awesome matches.

If you don't like awesome matches OR crazy over the top storylines, how the gently caress are you a wrestling fan?