Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

the entire roster, wrestlemania is 45 minutes long
That's a lot of armbars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'd like to tell you what they REALLY think backstage about Metsfan, but I'm not prepared to break the privacy of the many important backstage figures that I personally know and am friends with.

It's really juicy though. Such a pity.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The booking does have a role to play, though. It's unfair to chant at the wrestlers when they don't have any power over Vince saying "Ok, you're getting a minute each of a 6-woman tag match", but then it's also unfair to chant poo poo at Reigns when his big problem is booking, too. There just isn't a simple and easy way, when you're in a crowd, to get across "I have no issue with these wrestlers but the booking of them is terrible, it's entirely possible I'd be enjoying these people with a better match."

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

TinTower posted:

For some reason, I thought I was in the UKMT in D&D for a second, and I was just imagining David Cameron doing a stairs match with Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg. :v:
There's no way Ed wouldn't be stuck in midcard hell in a tag team with his brother.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
TNA is on a channel (Is? Was? Can't be arsed to check but I would imagine still is) that you can either get with a one-time purchase of a box to sit on your tv, or is just built into your TV now. WWE is on the equivalent of cable. So assuming TNA are pushing some hilarious bullshit like "number of households that could watch TNA" (which of course they are), that's probably most people in the UK now.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I like at least how happy Miller is to reveal that the argument behind that article is "Uh, well... I don't like ROH, ok?!?"

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
So that "don't be negative about other promotions!" rule lasted.... how long?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
He said a load of dumb stuff, isn't willing to take it back, and so now is saying a whole load of dumber stuff in order to try and justify it.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Renaissance Spam posted:

For some reason I think of it as a the Popomatic Powerbomb. Cause you know, someone's in Trouble.
Federline returns, feuds with Owens over the rights to the PopoZão Powerbomb.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Huh. So there was a line.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is Meltzer being worked about the relationship between Destination America and TNA? Trust. The. Process.

I like that he doesn't seem to think through what having 400,000 viewers who will not ever drop TNA says about the quality of the show. "It doesn't matter what dumb poo poo TNA pull, there's all these diehards who'll watch it! They don't have anything to lose from being fuckheads, because professionalism and quality isn't important to us!"

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
That's distressingly close to admitting that mistakes might possibly have been made.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Oprah Winfrey Network
You get a new contract! And you get a new contract! Everyone gets a new contract!

It's a perfect fit.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
It's time to draw the line. This far, and no further. Apparently.

Chris Regal posted:

If you're a regular reader of my columns, you know that I've consistently said that the behind the scenes matters don't concern me simply because they don't ultimately affect the television product. A few weeks ago, however, I began to have my doubts and shared with you my thoughts about that in one of my Randomania pieces and in particular TNA's inability to get away from the Impact Zone and other issues starting to affect Impact. Unfortunately, this week's show was a complete mess and I think it's time to recognize that there's something rotten in the state of TNA.

The behind the scenes matters have begun to affect the way much of the staff does their job and more importantly it's affected those on the creative and production team as well as the wrestlers. I've spoken openly about the disaster that was last month's tapings schedule that essentially rendered this year's Slammiversary PPV a lame duck as well as other decisions such as taping so many shows in one set or tapings in the Impact Zone. As bad as all that is, however, the fiasco that is the Hernandez contract mess is simply inexcusable. It's incompetence at its worst.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is something that truly needs to be emphasized because when you start to screw with the wrestlers' ability to do their job, you start to lose their confidence in you and sadly, you start to lose their loyalty. And the wrestlers start to rethink their options. And they even start to contemplate asking for their release. I think you know where I'm going with this. I'm as big and loyal a TNA fan as you'll find. But like the wrestlers themselves, there's a tipping point for the core diehard fans as well. And I'm afraid that many have reached theirs...and regrettably, I'm reaching mine.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Is there a hall of fame for making GBS threads in things? Waltman is a lock for that one if it exists
There is one, but they've been having some nose pollution issues.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Magnus's AMA is not being taken entirely well on Mecca.

That TNA, always cunningly swerving their fans to make people think they're a terrible company with many backstage problems. I can't wait for the payoff on that one.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Jake the Snake is a good example of a heel using their flashy move well, to frustrate and anger the audience by suddenly bringing the match to an end. A lot of heel finishers are like that, just "no matter what, I can drop you immediately."
Or not using them, because the face finds a way to power out/get their knees up/hit some reversal.

Really there's nothing wrong with someone you're supposed to boo having a cool move so long as the reaction you get is begrudging respect. "I really don't want him to win, but that was pretty great, I have to admit." You can have a heel using impressive or flashy moves all day long so long as the desire of the audience for them to lose (or the face to win) is a stronger impression. Just have some big storyline or character point that makes them hateable.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The "being John Cena" championship needs building up more, dammit.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
My favourite part is still "I'll take the word of people who work for TNA over internet news", because sure there's plenty of bullshit online but I don't think there's ever been a promoter who hasn't lied and lied again even to the locker room, let alone to the fans. And TNA and Dixie have a reputation even in the wrestling industry for lying (and being caught out lying).

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
"Dean Ambrose is only popular because he appeals to over half the population"

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
It seems like every piece of bad news out of TNA makes Regal "excited for TNA's future". I mean, self-delusion that everything is going to be fine and everyone backstage are happy and trying their best to fix issues is one thing, but being so thrilled for the future goes to a place I can't even pity anymore.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
This story doesn't hold up. Why is he still friends with a person who listens to Shave Seltzer?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not only that, but some dudes are able to mitigate poor ring work with mic skills. The women on WWE's roster who are poor workers are also poor promos.
Everyone that's on NXT that's a poor worker is a poor promo. The only exception I can think of was Enzo, and he's getting decent in the ring now.

It's not that you can't have women who are poor workers promoted as monsters - look at Chyna. It's that WWE for years gave zero shits about a) any level of wrestling ability and b) any kind of consistent booking. And women who were the physical equivalents of someone like Strowman or Ryback weren't ever going to get signed.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

natetimm posted:

That's good to hear. Hopefully they get called up soon and shake up the main roster.
Oh dear.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

natetimm posted:

Sorry, was that actually WWE? I thought he was talking about NXT.
No, you were right the first time. It's just that WWE has hosed up the call-ups of each and every NXT guy or girl so far.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

natetimm posted:

Maybe it's me, but I can't really discern any real difference in personality or character between most of the divas currently on WWE programming, except Flair's daughter. None of them seem to have a real gimmick or unique thing and their interviews all seem to bog down into them all being similarly bitchy to each other. Without the crowd noise and having seen some stuff on the internet, I wouldn't even be able to tell who is the face and heel most of the time. Obviously, most of that is piss-poor writing on WWE's part, but man is it bad.
Basically all of the currently-used women on the main roster excepting the Bellas and Alicia Fox have shown in NXT* that they've certainly got the capability for interesting characters and interviews you give a poo poo about. It's 100% the piss-poor writing, sadly.

*Or social media, with Naomi and Tamina, though that's to a lesser extent.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Plus she got a very split crowd (because who doesn't love Sasha?) to get solidly behind Bayley. The sort of mind that says "I'm being cheered, but that's not what I want right now, I should do something about that." is one that should go far.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm sure in Vince's mind the New Day are still exactly the dancing, singing black men gimmick he wanted, and that he considers it a total success.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
For all the talk about how real wrestling fans wouldn't want a wrestling company to fail, there's a lot of sticking it to WWE and Vince in some form over there. A Super Bowl ad would be the holy grail, but no, it's all about how much it'd make McMahon and his marks poo poo bricks.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

Why can nobody on ringsideconfessions spell Bayley?
It's not just there. Bailey is everywhere.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm not sure I want to know what "allow" means in this context.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

super macho dude posted:

if WWE is just going to anagram the new signee's names, then I hope Nakamura gets SUKKEN MARIHUANAS.
It's not like it matters, he's just going to get jobbed out to keep Mr Reasoning look strong.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Nitpicking, but I never got how that was meant to work. Twin Magic is dumb but the ref is unaware, so at least it works. Brie pulling out tissue stuffed in her top is admitting they cheated.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I get that. But she wasn't supposed to be in the match, no? "Yeah, I got pinned, but I was just pretending to be my sister in this ruse to make sure a fresh wrestler was in the ring" is still cheating, even if she hosed up.

\/ Oh, that's true. Duh.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 19, 2016

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I am a moron who doesn't know anything about ratings, but wouldn't keeping your TV on have exactly zero effect unless you're a monitored household?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Yeah, they might loudly boo the main event or something.