Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

I ... don't even know where to start with that

I'm gonna start by having a sensible chuckle at the idea that the G1 Supercard was New Japan's "biggest show they could possibly hope for".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DarkstarIV posted:

That article they linked is...well its a thing. Example paragraphs:

Has whatever brain genius that wrote this poo poo even seen any wrestling newer than 80s WWE?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
He's kinda correct in that NXT isn't really developmental either, it's more of uncle Paul's private indie promotion.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Exactly, you'd think that sort of thing would have him on the permanent shitlist, not getting this type of push simply by moving brands.

I guess this was before Vince decided that the good Baron is actually the ideal alpha male that will draw endless hordes of horny ladies to the shows.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

What's all this "actually blocking and checking strikes" poo poo, that only happens in vidya games!

You see in a real fight you just take every punch on the chin like a manly man.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

This Fiend guy sounds real loving strong if he can kill someone twice by laying on his back and getting his face smashed in for like ten minutes straight.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There really isn't anything so bad that blind fanboyism won't find a way to defend it, is there?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Punch McLightning posted:

My dude, have you heard of the people denying Jerry Sandusky's guilt and Joe Paterno's complicity?

No, I get making excuses for people who make you personally feel good no matter how horrible they may be. That's just regular old FYGM assholery. What I don't get is making excuses for people who are obviously contemptuous of you and just poo poo all over the fans on a regular basis.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Leaving the stanning for genocidaires aside, I like the implication that the plucky Saudi government was finally able to get a women's match as if the reason for why they didn't have any previously wasn't the Saudi government themselves.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Now I'm no expert, but I'm pretty drat sure that Cody diving onto the entrance ramp and eating poo poo was more legit dangerous than anything they did in Mox vs Kenny.

Also you don't even need to continue the Mox/Kenny feud right away. Like, just keep them separated for a while and then do another match when the craziness of this one has faded into memory. This isn't hard.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I haven't even been posting in this here subforum for super long and even I immediately realized that rovert was like a million times more interested in trying to make people jealous of his supposed secret knowledge than he was about actually informing people. Basically he was the forums gossip and good loving riddance.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Kenny is a big ol' dweeb and that's OK.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

You know your argument is solid when it literally hinges on the quality of the match itself being a non-factor.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Vince has poisoned peoples' brains to such an extent that they can't comprehend any subtlety whatsoever in wrestling stories and not always even when they have things explicitly spelled out to them in some 30 minute Triple H promo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
To this day I'm still suspecting that the Iizuka retirement angle actually was a shoot.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The only explanation for WWE hardcore fans that I have at this point is that they realize on some level that what they're watching is just plain poo poo and that better alternatives exist, but are also so invested in being WWE fans that they develop this desperate compulsion to tear down everything else so they can pretend that the alternatives are equally bad and hence they're justified in eating up whatever rancid turds Vince's misfiring brain produces and asking for seconds.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hope somebody replies to this dorkus with that Ospreay/Hiromu gif. Would do it myself, but I ain't got no twitter.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I found the worst comment on Cagematch.

Imagine not liking Minoru Suzuki

:rip: whoever this is, as he has no doubt already been murdered by Minoru Suzuki.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's cool that the man's got hobbies besides murdering people, but he will never forsake his biggest love.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

coconono posted:

Unhappy NJPW fans are my favorites

I guess it's WWE brain poison or something were losing one feud means that you'll be stuck treading water in midcard limbo forever.

Like motherfuckers, have some patience and enjoy Violence Kota murdering people in the meantime.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

The discourse around Ibushi for years was that he just needed to sign and he would get a rocket strapped to him. So his first year after signing being that he got some wins against main eventers and then gave them all back within months is hilarious. Even if it was all technically the right booking, it's hilarious.

He should go to AEW though because that would rule.

As I recall, the discourse was that he didn't get any major titles because he wasn't under a real contract. Since he signed he's been IC champ and won the G1, and he hasn't even been under contract for a year. That ain't exactly a burial.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

extradite THIS! posted:

Naito's title run should be exactly like Tanahashi's

I think 404 days might be a tad long, but hey if you insist.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Imagine if you had to spend your entire working day looking into how people behave online. Now imagine that you're the kind of person who wanted this job.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The observation that only things that are actually bad on some level get the fanatical kind of fandom continues to be eerily accurate.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My dream match is that Yano finally gets his title shot and whoever the champ is comes in all relaxed and wearing a cup and all smiles because they'll just win real easy.

Then about one minute into the match they suddenly realize that it's serious Yano.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

This surely violates some kind of anti-bullying law. Just imagine moving away from there and having people ask where you're from. Imagine having to admit that you're from a place named after a lovely WWE second-stringer.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gonna go out on a limb and say that this here dude wasn't actually going to ever give AEW a chance.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I was gonna say that said opinion didn't seem as dumb as the usual fare, but of loving course it turns out that it takes one to know one.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jericho and Cody are such good carnies that they literally poo poo all over the laws of physics in order to cram more people into their show. Now that's some dedication right there.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Jericho boat turns out to be some kind of demented metal iceberg-esque structure where you can only see the very tip above the water.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
They should still be on the boat, yes.

Davros1 posted:

I was thinking about that Cody/MJF promo where MJF dropped the mic and kicked it away from Cody. If that had been WWE, and HHH, HHH would've Pedigreed MJF after he kicked the mic, and then revealed that he had a second mic in the pocket of his jacket, showing just how much smarter he was than MJF.

Instead Cody showed that he's smart by enlisting the Bucks to come help him because he knew that MJF would get arrogant and because he's a babyface and has friends and they look out for each other like friends do, thus getting everybody involved over, giving the audience what they want and moving the story forward organically all in one relatively short segment.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

And advanced the story without damaging anyone in the story.

So many of the AEW stories would have been burned through in a month or less on WWE. Page and Omega would have tagged for one week, maybe two, before Hangman turned on him, and they'd have the blowoff match the week after that. I like seeing a story breathe

Yeah, as I said everybody left that segment more over than they were when it started. Cody proved that he isn't an idiot and he's not gonna take this poo poo lying down which is loving awesome, and also something that WWE would never do. MJF got humiliated and now he'll definitely be out for revenge and I want to know what he'll come up with. This also easily lets them stretch the story out until Revolution without it feeling contrived because the suspense is there. The Bucks showed they they're there for Cody and now they'll be written into the larger story as well as a counterweight to MJF's henchmen.

It's loving great, is what it is. Simple, logical booking is such a breath of fresh air.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Well yeah, you're a cop.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The WWE thing where they make the promotion itself into a heel character is just so loving weird. Like, why would you as a wrestling fan want to give money to a promotion that's lovely and actively screwing over the people you're supposed to like?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

It worked once because everyone hates their boss on some level. So yeah we identified with Austin and it saved the WWF from irrelevance and Vince has never come up with a second thing to do after that.

"It worked once so let's do it forever" is pretty much Vince's motto, huh?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Reminds me of that old Onion headline that went something along the lines of "local man passionate defender of what he imagines the Constitution to be".

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I have never had a Twitter account. I see this as one of the few unambiguously correct life choices I've made.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Edited my post, that might have been who I was thinking of. I know very little of WWE/WCW history and even less about any of the Japanese promotions. I got back into wrestling from a goon posting a link to AEW Dark after previously having watched Smackdown on TV before I even had broadband internet. Most of the stuff people talk about in these threads ends up being vague memories attached to things I do know the meaning of, which ends up being pretty AEW-centric because that's the only thing I consistently watch. Although I picked up a fite.tv subscription so I don't have to deal with commercials for Dynamite, so maybe I'll start watching more Indies.

New Japan is probably the best promotion in the world right now and you should do yourself a favor and check it out.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

What's FYAD?

Finally dead thank God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's also a dumb opinion because the eyepatch just makes Mox look even more badass.