Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

TheJoker138 posted:

Hulu is such a weird loving place for the Criterion Collection to have ended up online. I feel like a venn diagram of the people who want to pay $10 a month to be able to stream Big Bang Theory or whatever from their iPhone and the people who would want to stream Criterion movies are just two separate circles, drawn on totally separate pieces of paper, by different people.

On separate continents, even.

That said, I'm one of the people who pays the £6.99 for Netflix regardless of how much I use it, so… :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

NBC should air SmackDown on basic television instead of Syfy, it's the only way they'd get viewers on a Thursday evening :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

In all seriousness, Smackdown can consistently draw in two and a half million viewers, on basic cable. There are some NBC comedies – Community included – that struggled to get that in a Thursday NBC slot.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

It's lovely to chant what they did at the women even if it was Cameron and Eva Marie and Kelly Kelly in a three-way Stairs match.

For some reason, I thought I was in the UKMT in D&D for a second, and I was just imagining David Cameron doing a stairs match with Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg. :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

OK, so I know doxxing isn't really approved on SA, but since this is actual insider news I figured it might be alright. I did a bit of detective work to track down MetsFan4Ever recently after all the r/SquaredCircle stuff went down, and there was some stuff I really didn't expect. Believe me or don't, I don't care, but I like PSP so I thought I'd share it.

I figured it had to be someone from the Northeast US, most likely in the Tri-State area. Who else would want their very prominent online identity to be known as a "Mets fan forever" but a NY/NJ/CT resident? You get that sort of fan devotion when it's something you grew up with in your own region. So that shrinks down the geographic location at least.

So I dug a bit further. He claims to be either a current or former WWE employee, so that narrows the search quite a bit. While this part is admittedly very dubious, he claims CM Punk is a personal friend and that he wrote his promos, which although probably bullshit would be a small subset of people if true (mainly because I'm pretty sure creative control of his onscreen character was in Punk's contract). But regardless he'd have to be a part of WWE Creative at some point if any of this stuff were actually true, and he'd have to be someone employed by the company at least somewhere between 2006-2014, Punk's years with the company. If you assume he was referring to the bigger promos at Punk's peak, this means closer to 2011-2013. If you look at WWE's employee records within those years, there are very few people who fit all of the criteria here.

Whether or not you buy that part of his story is another matter - bear with me a minute. If MetsFan is even telling a modicum of truth, that's a really short list. Who would risk being exposed in the company like that? Well, you'll note that he also posted on Reddit that there are definitely people from WWE leaking deliberate misinformation and misdirection. That adds a bit of credence in my book because I'd totally believe they're trying to work the internet. Everyone knows Reddit, like it or not.

The last bit I'll mention is that in his comment style, I noticed he's incredibly defensive (the butthurt over people calling him out), has a big ego (the Jesus self-comparison), it's easy to rile him up, and he's extremely petty. I don't know how well this is known in wrestlefan circles, but in my many years of talking to people in or around the business, WWE's own employees have routinely described a specific member of their Creative team in a very similar way, and he is in fact still an active part of the company.

So here's the thing - I confronted him to see if he'd make some sort of statement, and he did. You can see what he had to say right here (copy/paste, because I probably shouldn't direct-link it):

youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

:golfclap:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, TNA is on a free-to-air digital terrestrial channel, whereas Raw and SD are on Sky's premier sports channels that cost £25/mo. To their credit, that's a seven-channel line-up with most Premier League football, half of the Formula 1 schedule, and a poo poo lot of cricket, and we do get six "free" PPVs (we even got Fastlane on the basic package!) and the rest discounted against the States, but still. :smith:

Incidentally, if you're wondering why Main Event got booted off the Network and onto Hulu, it's because of Sky having first-transmission rights for it here in the UK. Because geofencing or not showing live TV has never been done with on demand services ever.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

Another thing is that TNA is on at 9pm on a Sunday, while Raw is 1am on a Monday. Though most of the time if I'm flicking through channels and get to Challenge and TNA is on I'll just move on because that's not what I'm after if I'm that far down the EPG.

Raw is basically half of Sky Sports 3's programming anyway, I imagine the combined viewing figures aren't that bad.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's actually not that stupid tbh. It's TNA's awful commentary and low rent production values that brings it down.

And Dixie's inability to get a good contract that makes Vince look like a genius.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

CoolCat posted:

Out of interest, what are your guys thought's on the r/squaredcirle community?

r/squaredcirclejerk is funnier.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Legit curious, are there any trans wrestlers?

There's very few trans people in sports, entertainment, or any combination thereof. :v:

But in seriousness, none famous enough for the Wikipedia's wrestling nerds to write about. There's Fallon Fox doing MMA, though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The whole foreign heel vs American face thing is so overdone by now that I was half of the opinion that Rusev was a massive parody of those types of heels. And then the Cena–Rusev feud just kept dragging on…

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

I'm just shocked that people think McMahon ever has an agenda that isn't "More money" or "Petty bullshit regarding whatever the gently caress is going on in Vince McMahons head." And you are a wiser man than I if you can determine what the gently caress that is.

Quite. It's quite clear that Hogan got Benoitized because of fear of the sponsors rather than the strong social justice credentials of Vince "what's good in the hood, my nigga?" McMahon. Even if Uncle Terry was basically everyone's wingnutty grandpa.

(It's me, I'm the stupid wrestling fan.)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Montreal was a shoot designed to look like a worked shoot. :tinfoil:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

#BrooklynScrewjob

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

DynamiteKidd posted:

I think TNA never looked more minor league than in early 2010 when the Outsiders, the Nasty Boys, and Val Venis were on TV winning matches, actually.

I nominate early 2011 where Sting very clearly called the main event of a pay per view bullshit after winning said main event by pinning down someone who was clearly unfit to walk. This being only a month after they botched resigning some of their top stars so badly they appeared in the Royal Rumble instead.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So inspired to kill my family then myself. :swoon:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

TNA probably couldn't fill Academy 3 in Manchester, England.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Not stupid or a fan opinion, but…

:allears:

:vince:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

In the comments of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPQXcgWcGXU

I have no idea what the gently caress that guy is smoking but I want some. He goes from THAT SELFISH ROLLINS TAKING ROMAN'S TITLE AND CURBSTOMPING PEOPLE TO DEATH to using "WWE is fake" as a defense. :psyduck:

Ah, the Daily Show defence.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

this isnt a stupid opinion but i had to share it because tumblr is so batshit loving insane

http://wwe-oneshotsandimagines.tumblr.com/post/130238810817/so-much-love-to-give-9

tumblr delenda est

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Had to go potty but sethie take too wong.

mods, new title

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I thought the longest novel was Fallout: Equestria?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

EC3 is no Paul Heyman. :colbert:

e: Bahahahahaha, EC3 even "filed" in the Seventh Circuit – the same one Heyman threatened to go to on the Raw After Mania to nullify Rollins cashing in. Neither San Jose (9th), Orlando (11th) or Concord (4th) are anywhere near the Seventh Circuit. Unless Wisconsin is really nice to faces.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 6, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

gonna guess "jokes"

This sport containing an undead mortician with magic powers who has a weird relationship with his demon half-brother has no room for levity. :colbert:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The indies can't fund Jeff's habit, even with a ridiculous name like "Organization of Modern Extreme Grappling Arts Championship Wrestling".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It depends on the match. Dolph Ziggler gets some credit for rescuing the IC match at Elimination Chamber from Mark Henry, but it was still a bad match.

Anyway, have an article about how for women's wrestling to be taken seriously, the NXT Divas need to stop crying after winning.

I'm just gonna leave this here. No reason:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Noted girls Shawn Michaels all the time (as above, Mania 12, etc), Edge, Daniel Bryan, Mark Henry, Ric Flair, and so forth are making their gender look bad with their horrid weepy ways.

Mania XX too, but the less said about Chris Benoit, the better.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

TL posted:

The women's matches on NXT have done a better job than pretty much other match WWE has done in years at making you feel the competitors really care about winning the match they're in.

I also get the feeling the NXT women could even pull off a Hell in a Cell match if they were given the opportunity.

(Dear Vince, please book Bayley and Sasha for a Hell in a Cell match at Wrestlemania)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

natetimm posted:

NXT must be a lot better than the WWE women's wrestling, because I caught some of that last month and goddamn is it bad. Granted, the men's wrestling isn't super great right now, either.

Sasha Banks and Bayley had an Iron Woman match at TakeOver Respect and it's a strong contender for Match of the Year.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Sasha Banks got called up and she's been criminally under-utilised in the Divas Revolution. As have all of the women whose last names don't end with Bella or Flair, let's be honest.

Revenant Threshold posted:

No, you were right the first time. It's just that WWE has hosed up the call-ups of each and every NXT guy or girl so far.

I think they've booked Kevin Owens pretty well, considering. I want to see more of Neville and Kalisto, though. The latter without Sin Cara. :v:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 15, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Sasha also understands basic ring psychology more than most people on the roster. She got nuclear heat for stealing Izzy's headband during the Iron Woman match. :allears:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder how much of it is down to Triple H and Stephanie, how much is down to Vince, and how much is down to NBC. I get the feeling that Triple H and Stephanie would be more amenable to treating the women on the roster like athletes, perhaps just simply because they're younger than Vince "what's good in the hood, my nigga" McMahon.

One of my favourite things about Sasha stealing Izzy's headband is not just the basic ring psychology of "do heel things, get heat", but the more advanced psychology of "how to turn incredibly cheap heat nuclear". It was as cheap, and as amazing, as the famous Shawn Michaels promo in Montreal, or the Rock's concert in Sacramento.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 15, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Meanwhile, from Tumblr.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Great White Hope posted:

Baron Corbin: secret incest love child of Undertaker and Kane is the most Vince McMahon angle ever.

No, that would be the secret love child of Kane and Katie Vick. :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

On suicide by sex:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Intruder posted:

The Brogue Dick

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

CM Punk. :allears: