Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lamuella posted:

"real" or not rarely comes up for people I talk to, but "believable" does. For example (to pick a complaint I personally don't agree with) I've heard some people have reservations about Riho as women's champ because of a disparity of build between her and, say, Kris Statlander, or because they don't think her strikes look hard hitting enough. This makes it tougher for them to suspend disbelief, despite appreciating her skills and athleticism.

(I disagree because I like Riho a lot, but it's at least a coherent objection much as I don't share it)

I'm honestly one of those people that feels like Riho needs more practice making her strikes look good. It's kind of not fair, but someone selling a sloppy strike from a bigger person looks better than a sloppy strike from someone tiny like her.

I feel like Marko Stunt is actually really good with making his strikes look real. OTOH 90% of his strikes get no-sold so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Kenny definitely taught her how to throw a knee, and I feel like she does the stomps better than a lot of people. Probably because she's coming down with less force so she doesn't have to skip straight off like a larger person.

It's more her elbows and hand strikes that seem kind of wild and sloppy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Let's hope.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Saw this on reddit lmao

I mean Kenny mentioned in his Wrestlers on the Road Eating Room Service video that he felt kind of offended at first that when he signed to NJPW he was automatically slotted in Bullet Club like that's just where all foreigners are supposed to go. I mean just because foreign heel is a common thing doesn't make it less lovely, and Japan definitely still has an issue with xenophobia.

One of NJPW's executives ended up working for Shinzo "nothing happened in Nanking" Abe, right? And part of why the Elite left was getting jerked around on contracts because they were foreigners?

I don't even know who Lacey Evans is so maybe the bad opinion is that part.

E: had this on my phone at the end of work and like a whole page went by during my drive.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

source the new japan exec working for abe thing or be presumed to be posting shootnamejustin fabrications because i've never seen it elsewhere

I read it in this forum. IIRC it might have been the same guy that booked his wrestlers in real fights with MMA fighters but didn't tell the wrestlers it was real.

E: looks like Inoki was in politics during Abe's tenure as PM, but I know nothing about the Japanese parties so I don't know if he had a post in the same party or a coalition government or what. He was out of NJPW by that point anyway.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 31, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Alaois posted:

antonio inoki hasn't been involved in new japan pro wrestling for 15 years

Edited my post, that might have been who I was thinking of. I know very little of WWE/WCW history and even less about any of the Japanese promotions. I got back into wrestling from a goon posting a link to AEW Dark after previously having watched Smackdown on TV before I even had broadband internet. Most of the stuff people talk about in these threads ends up being vague memories attached to things I do know the meaning of, which ends up being pretty AEW-centric because that's the only thing I consistently watch. Although I picked up a fite.tv subscription so I don't have to deal with commercials for Dynamite, so maybe I'll start watching more Indies.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are all NJPW matches best of three? The Omega vs Okada (not sure if it was '17 or '18) that I saw was best two of three and went for like 45 minutes. Best 2 of 3 taking 25 minutes doesn't seem that long.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, wasn't sure if that was just a Japan thing to do 2 of 3, I know very little about wrestling in other countries because before people were going crazy for the first couple episodes of Dynamite all of my experience with wrestling was Smackdown in '03.

Which is also why I'm not super excited for the Iron Man match I'm a couple weeks, the only one I've ever seen dragged on way too long.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was really sad to hear about how lovely he is, a couple years ago I watched a video about how pro wrestling has a unique aspect to its storytelling due to everything happening by necessity in real time and the example he used was about why the streak ending was so monumental for so many people. Part of what he talked about was how he apparently had a reputation for being really supportive to new talent and helping other people get over. As someone who was a fan of his for the brief period I watched wrestling in the early '00s I was happy to hear good stuff about him behind the scenes

Then I heard the rest of the story :smith:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nick Gage just lost his brother, he doesn't need to get sent to jail for killing an elderly man.

Something something casket match.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lamuella posted:

yeah, I've never enjoyed those things in part because they always seem to set themselves as superior to the product. It's very "look at these dummies and the bad thing they made".

I'd contrast this with something like Botchamania, which calls attention to fuckups but does it without seeming above the product. It's much more in good fun. Which is why wrestlers will do things like bumpers for Botchamania etc, because it's a joke they're included in.

Excalibur even made a Botchamania reference on the last episode about Nyla failing to put Riho through a table. And there's a good 2-3 minutes per episode of Botchamania that's just the AEW commentators tripping over their words and JR using the wrong names.

Knowing JR's reputation as a color commentator more than his actual work outside of AEW, was he always that prone to malapropism? Them making mistakes is kind of part of the charm for me, like they're so excited by what they are seeing that they start making mistakes.

The Emi Sakura Freddie Mercury thing was a pretty big "Jesus, Grandpa" moment, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Son of Man posted:

1. Do any of these people care about how 'natural' a competitor Brock Lesnar or Ryback is? I think those guys are replacing more hormones than nyla.

2. Wrestling is fake. The belts don't have any prestige outside of kayfabe you loving marks

Look at Brock's stomach, that turtle belly is the biggest symptom of abusing HGH. I don't know what causes it, but it's a dead giveaway.

And yeah, even if there was an advantage (I didn't know that about the 1 year mark, good to know), it's loving scripted. They could have Orange Cassidy Kid pin Luchasaurus if they wanted.

The whole argument they bring up also shows how trans men are basically invisible to the world. You want to talk about unfair, making cis women compete with trans men who are on HRT would be unfair, because testosterone is literally a banned PED in basically every sport out there, and unless my understanding of the process and 30 second search of the Mayo Clinic website is wrong, that's the primary hormone used in HRT for trans men.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I popped super hard for the OWA-snapdragon spot. I don't know how obvious it is to people who only watch dynamite that Riho is Kenny's protege, but Nyla trying to humiliate Riho by stealing her mentor's move for the finisher and then having Riho counter with a double shot of one of Kenny's other signature moves worked extremely well for me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

Including literally the previous week

See I can never remember if they just show them as friends or if they spell out the teacher/student relationship. Part of it is In usually half asleep when I watch Dynamite because of my schedule.

Apropos of nothing but Kenny needs to bust out his pink and white tights more often, I loves his matching outfit with Riho for the mixed gender tag match.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is XFL fixed too, or is it an actual sport rather than "sports entertainment"? I feel like it would be hard to fix a football game but OTOH I feel like McMahon would go insane not being able to control which team wins.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jungle Boy and Jurassic Express in general are also a good example, everyone loved them and they hadn't won a single match.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen it but I assume the first half of the story of a greatly talented and celebrated wrestler who suffered brain damage and did something tragically horrible is that he was a greatly talented wrestler and that weirdo things that's a problem instead of just accurate storytelling.

I watched a 2002-era match posted in the GOAT thread that was Benoit, Angle, Mysterio, and Edge. Maybe it was because I knew what was going to happen in 5 years, but Benoit looked like an actual ball of barely-contained anger. Like actually angry, wrestlers generally aren't good enough actors to be that convincing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is getting tired of this why they just uploaded an official version of Bryan's "Golden boat" rant today? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHLbdFcd9Yo

I didn't recognize Heather Monroe when someone posted that tweet in another thread and I didn't see the context, so I looked her up to see if she was one of the people that got axed from WWE. Weird thing is she did wrestle for a promotion called Respect, but it was in Colorado, where looking at the creeper's profile he's in California. Is stealing the names of other small promotions a thing, or is this just a glaring lack of creativity? Or maybe the guy moved to California. I don't know, I'm thinking about this more than I should.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

Everyone gets paid equally but some people get paid more equally than others

Lowtax was going to spread it to everyone, but the mod and admin staff insisted on keeping it for themselves and he didn't have the spine to stand up to them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Venomous posted:

why would you take pride in not reading?

Basically anti-intellectualism turned into a point of pride.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

super macho dude posted:

Cant believe Bix kicked off the country wide protests and riots by tweeting

Just imagine having that kind of power.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Turn on your monitor.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, there are times where female is actually a good adjective, and it's a shame that incels have created such a kneejerk reaction to it.

Also it seems to be fairly common in AAVE without the connotations from what I can tell, and I'm not going to judge black people for how they use anything that isn't an outright slur in AAVE because that would be extremely lovely for a white person to do.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it because you two couldn't agree which was better, a boat made out of gold or an airplane made out of silver?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I’m not well-versed on age of consent laws but isn’t the intent to make sure that a person isn’t charged with statutory rape if they turn 18 prior to their partner? I don’t think it’s supposed to justify someone in their 20s for loving a 16 year old.

It's just different absolute ages of consent in different states, although in my state (at least 12 years ago when I looked this up because of the above just about to turn 18 scenario) there is an explicit age range difference allowance for under... 17? 18? I forget.

Age of consent doesn't matter at all if he was trying to get the kid to send him nudes, though, that's 100% illegal in the entire country. I didn't think I would advocate sending a black man into the judicial system today, but here we are.

E: I also hate how lovely people have made it feel gross to even know that part of my state's laws even though seriously I looked it up when I was about to turn 18 to make sure there wasn't a felony and registration on the horizon.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 21, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

That is what I did with the original Clinton Foundation invoice (stapled with other blank sheets you couldn't see and random lines highlighted) but I am glad I didn't this time or Hannibal couldn't print it out.

I might send him a picture of an innocuous page 2 printed out tomorrow if I have time.

Pull a Mad Kurt and make the second page have no thumbnail, but when it opens up it just says "You're a dumb baby."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At least AEW employees are, you know, employees, right? Unionization would be great, but offering people healthcare and poo poo is a major step up. Also only having them work one date a week and letting them take indie dates, although I wouldn't be surprised if they clamp down on that until COVID is gone after the Collective Clusterfuck.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's still disappointing tbh, healthcare has to be stupid expensive for wrestlers that are likely to need it but getting it for 50-75 in a group deal is probably still cheaper than getting it individually. Especially if they could somehow tack it on to the Jaguars' plan, or Billionaire Shahid's bumper plant plan.

I know they have a lot of behind the scenes people also part-timing as wrestlers, Daniels is talent relations, QT is the do-everything guy, Leva books flights and does media stuff, I think Avalon does something, Cutler does BTE and probably some other media stuff. But I still feel like an ethical wrestling company should be providing all of the people that are risking life and limb for their company with healthcare. Maybe not vacation days since they're only working 1-3 days a week for the most part, but at least healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

OTOH a lot of WWE matches would be better if you as the viewer were blindfolded.

Also with the volume muted so you don't have to listen to commentary.