Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gumball Gumption posted:

The only thing I can think of is that the gross stuff in UFC and non-death match wrestling is accidental while in a death match it's the point. But even that feels a bit disingenuous.

In wrestling it’s accidental. In UFC it’s the drat point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That match had a suplex where omega has to flip around in midair to not smash his head on the mousetrap spot, and that brain buster or whatever at the end was nuts as well. Omega’s head was a bit protected but yikes.

To Brian’s credit he also didn’t like the Omega head through the table spot that set up a good chunk of the storyline for this match.

During the match I was thinking there’s a good chance that I’ll look back on some of this wrestling and regret having enjoyed it for the same reason guys feel that way about boxing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gumball Gumption posted:

His main complaint seems to be that they can't instantly have a 2nd match because there is no way to escalate. Which, fair, you can't. But that's only a problem if you're looking WWE style where every feud is a best of 3. WWE has absolutely narrowed people on what they think wrestling is.

The logical escalation would be to have a normal Kenny match, which he wins, setting up the rubber match.

This could happen six months or a year or two from now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just want AEW to be able to sign the cool indie wrestlers I’m watching matches of and wwe’s pocketbook makes this less likely. Otherwise I don’t really care about wwe.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stunt vs Lindeman was interesting cuz they’re basically the same height. If Marko took some roids he’d fit right in.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

I think there's better reasons to dislike Bliss, but I do think its kind of poo poo to call it "food coloring."

You don't get anyone over when you make your opponents look bad or lame. That should be Promo 101.

That’s my biggest problem with some wrestlers in AEW on commentary (Britt, Brandi). Jericho and MJF, and to a lesser extent Spears and Nyla talk lots of poo poo, but it’s always couched in “so and so is really good, but”. Get them over even as you’re talking smack. Last week Britt basically just badmouthed Swole.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think it’s more noticeable in AEW when wrestlers do it because of how good Jericho is at never burying / always talking up his opponents.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

It just kind of makes me sad to read someone express that you shouldn't have great matches on their regular wrestling shows. That's such a bizarre and sad standard to have. Even as just a bullshit tribalism criticism.

It’s so weird to me. Committing to a weekly two hour time slot, giving up an evening on a regular basis, is a big deal. I can’t imagine doing it for boring television.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goldberg was cool as gently caress in the mid 90s. Just come in, hit a jackhammer, improve the winning streak. Wow!

I didn’t watch wrestling after that so I don’t care if he actually sucks as a wrestler. I also have no interest in watching a guy that old wrestle unless he’s in Billy Gunn tier shape.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

i'm pretty sure this a troll post but still, lol

I feel like this one could be coming from the forums.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the guy admitted he was wrong and left the tweets up so it’s not like he’s dodging it :shrug:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny Nox posted:

I have noticed when people on youtube take a serious look at AEW from outside they start by praising the long-term storytelling.

Then poo poo on all the stuff I love because they weren't there for the long-term storytelling.

I'm looking at you OSW.

also, if you don't at least follow a good AEW thread you'll miss a lot of the storytelling they do on youtube and twitter.

Luckily subtext is for cowards and the promos get increasingly explicit as you near the fireworks factory. Like if you don’t understand the Hangman / Omega story at this point there is something wrong with you. They’re flat out recapping it in the promos.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

I wouldn't expect Jamie to split from Britt any time soon

They turned MJF on Cody very quickly, and they’ve pushed some other stories pretty quick too. I think Hayter was brought as Britt’s muscle as a way to elevate her right away, but Britt really doesn’t need muscle. I think she’s away from Britt by the end of the year at the latest, and could be as soon as Full Gear.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i hope they never turn and remain friends forever through thick and thin

I would love this so much, I just don’t expect it

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

rotinaj posted:

Yeah, just didn’t want anyone to assume this person sucks and should be made fun of, they seem good

They really like the fiend and really don’t like John silver. Their tweet about changing the dark order got a chuckle out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

D.N. Nation posted:

I like that guy. Posts his half-marathon PR in his bio, live tweets the World Snooker Championship to no engagement.

I was expecting a better PR.