Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vaguido posted:

Yeah I understand not wanting to put Balor in 205 because they clearly see it as the weakest division, but if they keep adding established WWE stars to it, they could definitely turn it around.

Worst case we get amazing matches between Finn and Neville.

Worst case is a Finn and Enzo fued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

American pop culture has pushed the narrative that white blond women are the most attractive for a very long time. I went to a live Smackdown like a year ago and some dude behind me obviously had not watched the product in a while and kept bitching about all the women and foreign wrestlers. I think of him everytime I see this forum.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Any event in about 70% of the world would be this though

China also imprisons dissidents and censors its media. Like, what is the ethical line when a country is ok to perform in vs. not ok to perform in.

This feels like a really edgy version of "no ethical consumption under capitalism". It's not just that they're performing there. They're performing in KSA because they were given a ton of money to be part of a propoganda program to make KSA look progressive when they're still anything but. WWE is then trying to have their cake and eat it too by pretending that the women not performing is good and great for them because WWE doing business with them will someday open things up so that the women can perform. That's the same backwards logic companies used to do business with aparthid South Africa.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

people should be bitching because this looks like they sold out an arena on a the promise of a Nick Aldis match.

This seems like a really stupid take when you look at everyone making an appearance. I know I decided to buy a ticket when I knew Okada was on the card and in an arena that is a lot closer then the west coast. It could be Okada vs. The invisible man and probably still worth it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Holding it in Chicago was smart. It's petty cheap to travel to Chicago no matter where you are. They also did a great job at selling it as a must see event.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My GF doesn't really follow wrestling but was an Enzo fan when he was in NXT. His shtick was fun when he showed up every few weeks and only did it for a couple minutes. It turned to poo poo when he had to do a 10 minute promo every week.

She was sad but unsurprised that he is a sex pest.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"But what about the people with more power then him?" I cry.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

Nazar has gone too far this time

https://twitter.com/ATVS_JakeNazar/status/1004828400618483717

I don't understand how anyone can attack Zack Sabre Jr. for promotion Corbyn while defending a company that does propaganda for Saudi Araba but there you go.

Defending an oppressive authoritarian monarchy like WWE while hating the Labour party makes sense to me.

Also Saudi Arabia sucks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Contrarian takes of "That thing everyone likes is bad" have always existed.

Edit: All these carnies likes Republicans is a blisteringly bad take if you think about it at all.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kane's been on infowars. You can't be on infowars and smart.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kane believes in the state's monopoly on currency and the scary "globalists". He thinks everyone on welfare is a parasite. He has some incredibly bad political beliefs and it's good that all he won was local racist figure head. The Knoxville mayor and city council holds the majority of power in the country.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That dude thinks AAA is having the best year. His brain is broke.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That guys has a lot of opinions

https://twitter.com/ATVS_JakeNazar/status/1028899550797459457

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I mean other than some stuff about tone, isn't this kinda factually accurate?

saying that it's not an issue is dumb. Card subject to change means that things might change because they can't reveal storyline or someone might get hurt. WWE uses it as an out to not feel obligated to give what they advertise. Advertising your biggest names and consistently not having them show is an issue.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That's a lot of words to say "I don't care about workrate and don't like white meat babyfaces".

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Arbitrary rules are how they keep an illusion of legitimacy.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Counter argument, should the year 4000 be allowed to know about bronies?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm not a fan of Satin but his bread and butter is writing about wwe because it gets the clicks. He should of probably googled who Puma King is but it's not surprising the dude doesn't follow CMLL. Feels like smarks smarking.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Uh does this dude know that Kenny is openly bisexual and that accusing a bi person of 'playing gay' or being 'fake gay' is borderline hate speech?

His beat appears to be college lacrosse so I'm pretty sure he's a nazi.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sci-fi is toxic but it's mostly the authors themselves who have splintered into a faction of fascists. No one actually reads genre sci-fi anymore so the fans are fine.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm just going to repost that tweet everytime someone says WWE isn't creating propaganda for KSA.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WWE doing a show in KSA is a complicated issue where you'll need to make your own moral choice on if it is ok or not.

WWE doing a show in KSA and taking time to show propaganda videos about "look, we let women drive and not need a chaperone for everything" is very bad and if you think otherwise you're an idiot.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I'm trying out this thing called agreeing. You don't see it online that much.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm surprised no one has used yoshi-hashi tripping as an example of the dangerous njpw.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eh, he has a point in that all 3 are considered low class art forms.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I mean I have to say I kinda sorta agree on the Kevin Hart thing if only because it reminds me of the James Gunn thing which I think is kinda bullshit. I will admit I haven't dug deep into Mr. Hart's comments so I don't know how gross they are but many comedians are some degree of edgelord while on the job and with someone like a comedian I lean heavily on "is it an ongoing tenet of their bit" and "how recently did they do so" when judging how thoroughly they should be dragged for it.

Don't blame people for being mad though, and the wrestling analogy is dumb as poo poo.

Nah, Hart's stuff is different. Gunn was obviously writing some crummy edgelord jokes. Hart was just writing hateful stuff and saying he'd assault his son if he played with dolls because it'd make him gay.

The difference between him and Gunn is that Gunn's comments were self-depricating. They were edgelord jokes but they were all about him implying that he was a pedophile, making himself look bad. Hart's "jokes" are just him saying hateful stuff about gay people. Punching down is never going to be funny or useful, its just hate.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I also wasn't aware of Hart's reactions since then beyond the generic apology but I'm not surprised. Okay, the things aren't alike at all! I do think there's a space to discuss the nuances of offensive comedy but this is NOT one those instances at all. drat, Kevin Hart. This shouldn't be that hard.

Oh totally. There is 100% a place for offensive comedy and the success of things like "It's Always Sunny", "Broad City" and other stuff proves it. But if any comedian ever bemoans "comedy is dead now" it just means they're old and got bad at their job.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

Chikara did a whole bunch before Beyond launched Kimber Lee into a turnbuckle and they were fine. Nothing really amazing either. LuFisto regularly kicked the poo poo out of men. Those were pretty awesome. Same with Mickie Knuckles before she turned into a pain pill weirdo or whatever the hell is wrong with her. ONe the guy's side, Chris Dickinson has been a huge boon for intergender wrestling. Same with Sexxy Eddie.

Nowadays, you see a lot of garbage intergender matches because promoters know they can get away with doing a poo poo match and no one will complain it being a poo poo match because people will defend it because its an intergender match. Like any good match, a good intergender match plays to both sides strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. Both sides can't do their favorite moves if they end up looking contrived or forced.

Yeah, this post petty much covers it. Lots of good indies have done good intergender matches.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the fact that he keeps phrasing everything through wrestler catchphrases is really weird to me

also

https://twitter.com/CharmCity25/status/1080977432696504320

a good legal women's body

He has a bad brain

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Becky Lynch winning the Rumble was a higher high then anything on Takeover but boy is that a bad opinion.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Aja Kong is a good get and it feels way too early to blow them off as not taking women's wrestling seriously. They're at least taking it more seriously then other top promotions and they're in a position to make stars of women who currently are not.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

rovert posted:

Dixie is 50 something born into massive wealth from Dallas, Texas.

And Linda never owned a small business.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I got stranded in the parking lot after All In so I know what its like to have been at Fyre Festival.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Being a public company and having the network throws out a lot of the reasons thinking where something needs to be a draw because the only way to turn a profit is butts in seats. Their biggest income comes from tv deals and network subs, producing lots of content is honestly more important to them then producing great content.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think WWE preferred him to be Samoan and I think The Rock toed the company line but I think also think outside of that he's been open about how his heritage and how he views himself.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SatansOnion posted:

I have consumed some pathetic-looking repasts in my day, because there’s lots of food that tastes better than it looks, and anyway the most important parts are that it nourish you and that you enjoy it with folks you like and respect

but that plate, hoo boy

a chunk of potato-like material, re-reheated chicken from the discount table at the grocery store deli, macarubber and cheesesque sauce, and a heapin’ helpin’ of vomit with mango chutney

that is how you tell someone that you have nothing but contempt and disgust in your heart for them, in the language of food

There is somehow too much food on that plate and also nothing that should be called food on that plate.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think that's the strongest defense of RoH I've seen and even then that's pretty luke warm

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"Listen guys, I just think everyone who gets mad about being dehumanized isn't human. Seems perfectly normal and acceptable to me"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think he's mad they're doing a charity event for shooting victims. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, if his point is that wreddit is hypocritical he's 100% right. If his point is "so we should defend the Nazi" then he's insane.