Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

WeaponX posted:

I have almost no doubt that Vince, though perhaps knew of it's existence at some point, at some time, would have know idea what TNA is if you asked him today.

"No, we're PG-rated now, we can't do T&A anymore..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sanguinia posted:

This. I love when Kevin Owens refuses to do moves and takes his opponents on a trip to Chinlock City Bitch, but I love it because it's a fitting move for his character. Yes, it's objectively a heel tactic designed to get you to boo him, but I don't boo him because "Arg, I want cool moves," which is the traditional understanding off heel psychology. I boo him because his character is an rear end in a top hat and he makes me hate him, and excessive chinlocks are an extension of that persona and it's relationship to the audience just like rolling out of the ring constantly is. His corner cannonball is a "cool move," and it gets a ton of boos.

Compare Randy Orton. When he does the same sort of over-use of restholds as a heel, nobody enjoys it, it's go-away heat rather than proper heel work. I personally believe that's because that kind of thing doesn't fit Randy's "Viper," character. Moves where he goes from zero-to-60 in an instant, where he can spend a couple of seconds mocking the crowd, making faces, stalking his opponent in the background so the crowd can boo because they don't want to see him win before delivering a nasty shot, those are the moves that get him REAL heat when he's a heel, those are the extensions of his crazy ptsd snake man heel persona, not lazy rear end headlocks.

For a more historic example, look at Jake Roberts. The DDT was the most over move ever, the cheers it got were nuclear... unless Jake was a heel. Lance Storm might argue that's because the DDT is not a "cool move." Except if you see Jake do his spinny finger signal thing and watch 60,000 people lose their loving minds, you know that's not true. Jake's moves always matched his CHARACTER, and he changed the presentation of the character to match his alignment, whether it was bible verses or Trust Me, Trust Me. But at the end of the day he was still doing the DDT, and the reaction to it always matched what he was doing.

If someone is being a proper heel, they can do cool pop-creating moves all day and people will still despise them.

Johnny Mundo had a good discussion on Steve Austin's podcast this week about ring psychology, and he said one of the approaches he takes in terms of face/heel psychology is "The face gives the crowd what they want; the heel takes that away." I thought that was neat. It doesn't have to be avoiding entertaining stuff. Not doing your high-flying moves is certainly one way to not give the crowd what they want. But there are also other ways, it's not just moves and anyone who gets locked in that mindset is boiling it down to just one aspect of what you can do.

Interestingly enough, Austin and Mundo both agreed that they actually felt more free to experiment with moves as a heel, since if something sucked they weren't messing up at being the perfect hero.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CoolCat posted:

What the gently caress did I just read here?

A duelling crowd chant that accurately represents the last three pages of the thread

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

WE ARE AWESOME

NO WE'RE NOT

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Guys, you're usually supposed to be posting terrible stupid unsupported crazy opinions from other people in this thread, not just making up your own.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Aesop Poprock posted:

I dunno how you can watch anything Matt has put out at least since at least the final deletion build up and tell me it hasn't been self aware the whole time

But yeah for all we know Jeff probably thinks this is reality and he's actually battling his brother and his fleet of drones with fireworks to save himself from being physically deleted

Imagine Jeff laying in bed awake all night, shivering in terror, eyes on the window for drones

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I could see Baron Corbin becoming like the Undertaker of 2016, good only at kicking people in the dick

I want Baron Corbin's torso-face to be the new Undertaker while Baron's head looks on horrified.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I feel like that has to be a parody of a post about Cody taking the lashing

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I mean AEW fans are out there publicly LIKING the product they watch, what kind of monsters do that

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

No one aside from the Mountain Goats should be allowed to make songs about wrestling, unless it’s specifically a wrestler’s or PPV theme song.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
(Edit) wrong thread

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

STAC Goat posted:

Like, yeah, its silly to call NWA a major promotion. But its NWA doing it so you know... I'm willing to just laugh and roll my eyes at that self aggrandizing. And then any one in the space between AEW/ROH and NWA is just kind of "eh, do we really wanna argue that Impact is a major promotion?"

But NJPW is kind of a big one to skip past. They should have at least said "North American". Then they could have been closer to not actually technically correct but kinda getting their point.

Impact has a show on TV. Somewhere.

Mexico is part of North America so even that doesn’t work (Omega is under 40 and still holds the AAA belt). Would have to specify United States only.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hurrrrrrrr big guys good, vanilla midgets

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
those drat millennials, refusing to watch a poo poo product

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Oh man it would be cool if someone else did that

https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/firefly-funhouse-match-breakdown-references-meaning-john-cena-bray-wyatt-best-and-worst-of-wrestlemania-36/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1247979400873697280

Ryan Satin sucks so much. He's not wrong he's just such an rear end in a top hat.

Jake's "quarantined" in a hotel room, because DPP told Jake that if Jake did the AEW appearance, he couldn't come back into DDP's place for a couple weeks because there is a baby there:

quote:

Jake also revealed he’s currently quarantined in an Atlanta hotel room for a few weeks following his last live appearance on Dynamite in the makeshift crowd of talent.

“I’m quarantined in here. I was living with Dallas [DDP] and whenever all this started Dallas was one of the first people to say ‘I’m locking down. If you leave, you can’t come back.’ Well, AEW wanted me to come out, so … what did I do? I went and did it but then I couldn’t go back to Dallas’ house,” stated Roberts. “He had a baby in the house and nobody needs to be sick, especially around a baby. He took the hard line and said, ‘Dude, if you leave, you can’t come back.’

Leave it to Satin to make it sound like Jake is showing symptoms or anything.

And not to mention from the article:

quote:

AEW has reportedly filmed content to last the next few weeks, while WWE is reportedly set to resume filming at the Performance Center soon to film another batch of footage.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MassRafTer posted:

The Ryan Satin Memorial Thread for Stupid Wrestling Fan Opinions

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1248773936944308224

there are a lot of questions being raised about my "NOT ACTUALLY A RACIST" shirt that I feel are already answered by the shirt

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1247979400873697280

Ryan Satin sucks so much. He's both wrong and an rear end in a top hat.

By the way, for anyone who was worried about Jake's hotel room "quarantine," DDP relented and is letting Jake come home early, and just keeping him in his own room for the rest of the week.

https://twitter.com/RealDDP/status/1248981661636866049?s=20

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MassRafTer posted:

Just an incredible string of @s.

I’m assuming that’s the list of people who messaged DDP and were like “hey don’t be a dick”

Or maybe he just chose six @s at random, who can tell with DDP

MassRafTer posted:

If there was anyone in wrestling I'd be more concerned about being alone it'd be Jake, but I also fully understand why Jake would feel compelled to go to a show even when he didn't have to because he feels he needs to prove himself after 3 decades of burning promoters. Alls well that ends well.

He said in that article that he felt he had to do it because he "wanted to help those guys," so aside from wanting to prove himself, he may just like the idea of helping the new promotion succeed.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 11, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MassRafTer posted:

It's much, much safer to tape 2 months of shows in 2 days than to fly wrestlers in three times a week for 2 months. It's not even in the same league of risk. AEW used a limited roster for two days, WWE is using almost the same amount of wrestlers every freaking live broadcast! And on top of that taped a Smackdown they never even used because Vince mandated live shows! So those wrestlers and crew risked being in the building all day because of Vince.

On top of which, looking at who is there and who isn't, I'm a lot more confident that AEW's "stay home if you aren't comfortable being here" thing is legit. Like, they've been missing half of their tag team champs, their women's champion, Santana and Ortiz who were major parts of the Inner Circle angles, Matt and Nick after the first week, two-thirds of their announce team, their ring announcer...it seems to go up and down the roster on who is voluntarily not there, and for a lot of those people there's no particular indication that they were at any special risk. Meanwhile, the people who are there are a lot of front office people and their friends and family who would be in contact with each other anyway -- you got Kenny and Cody, Brandi (Cody's wife), Dustin (Cody's brother and a coach), QT Marshall who is involved on the front end and a coach, a bunch of people from QT's school which is where they were taping anyway, Billy Gunn who is a trainer and his son, etc. On top of that there's a couple of young dudes who would probably be pissed if you told them they couldn't be there (Darby who is local to Atlanta anyway, Sammy), and some new debuts who are eager to show their stuff -- Archer, Brodie Lee. And Brodie said they specifically told him he could wait to debut if he didn't want to do it in empty arenas.

I know that doesn't make it much more safe, but there's something to be said for assumption of risk in all this. I have a lot less confidence that WWE would be okay with someone just saying "I'm not sick and I don't have any underlying conditions, but I don't want to come because I just don't feel safe." There's already rumors floating around that Vince is pissed at Roman, and Roman has all the reason in the world not to be risking it.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 13, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
it wasn't even a moonsault, so he's not only racist, he's terrible in general

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ringo Roadagain posted:

imagine defending vince and fed. I mean, its been known forever that vince was a piece of poo poo. but in the last week there has been like half a dozen things to really reaffirm just how terrible of a person he really is.

the amount of WWE cultists over on reddit defending today's firings in the middle of a pandemic could fill the next ten pages of this thread

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, clearly its just impossible the ignore the basic reality that WWE could not have continued to operate if they had continued to employ Heath Slater and Eric Young. Its just a difficult decision WWE made to save their existence... nay, to save the very existence of wrestling... nay, to save us in our difficult time.

Also if Vince in his infinite wisdom had to make these cuts today then clearly AEW will have to do the same soon and what will you all be saying then, huh

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

For some reason this made me more uncomfortable than just straight up tweeting sex stuff at her would have

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vandar posted:

https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/1251361058687680513

Of all the people to poo poo on, you're really going to try and poo poo on Sami Zayn? Really?

I mean at least in opposing Sami Zayn he’s siding with someone reliable like...oh, Trump

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MassRafTer posted:

Shitball indie wrestling shows are typically set up by the wrestlers and promoters will even threaten to hold pay until the ring is torn down. So yes, he is ironically praising a group for doing unpaid labor. Beyond the obvious tone of the tweet, knowing rovert's actual political opinions and feelings on the exploitation of wrestlers makes it even more obvious.

That and even if you adamantly believed rovert was a MAGA Trump supporter do you really think he is trying to rally support for right wing beliefs based on the fact that people are setting up rings? Maybe he was right to point out how nuanced and deep his jokes were.

rovert posts so much stupid, toxic garbage that it's not worth the mental energy to figure which of his posts are supposedly "ironic humor" and which should be taken at face value

it's sifting through poo poo to find other, different forms of poo poo

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Can we post more about gogurt and possibly frogurt instead

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What's the story with Ryder's shirt? I don't get the reference

https://lastwordonprowrestling.com/2020/04/16/stillhere-to-notthere-to-1-zack-ryder-rules-pwts/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Yes, I’m sure Kairi approached Nia before the match and said “is there any way you can try to concuss me AND break my hips at the same time? It’ll be great for your heat”

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Steve Austin was like "just break my neck, Owen"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MrBling posted:

I know it's sort of cheating to post Ryan Satin, but I'm just astonished at how often one person can be wrong about wrestling.

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1253357261193273345

Meltzer has now dunked on Satin to the point that Satin is reduced to this

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1253358788490321920

This all started because Satin was concern trolling about last night’s jobber kicking out of Omega’s V-trigger — which isn’t even his finisher

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

OFFICER LIGER posted:

the thread is a problem and actively hurts my interest in interacting with other aew viewing posters.

Make your own “no horny allowed” AEW thread for you and Eat My Fuc to hang out in together

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ICHIBAHN posted:

He does what now?

You know, the title picture he is never allowed to compete for again.

I suppose he means Cody is in the TNT "Not a Midcard Title" Midcard Title tournament, which seems to consist of everyone they could scrape together for the pre-tapings. Even so, complaining about MJF not having a follow up feud when like 75% of the roster, including the Women's Champ and half the Tag Champs is off TV right now due to pandemic is some source your quotes type business

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 29, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
(edit): wrong thread

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

coconono posted:

nearly every woman I've met out of the socal area in America has some sexual assault story. Its not a good place.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Joey Ryan and Sienna talk about consent during a match: https://youtu.be/HpgQ3NYAFQI

I’ve never heard any of the women who have worked with him say anything negative about him, and that includes women like Ivelisse and Taya who aren’t shy about speaking their minds. He also frequently responds to twitter trolls calling the dick flip stuff gay with “what’s wrong with being gay?”

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, there's definitely something "weird" about it but I dunno. Like that seems like its verging into the idea that he's "the patriarchy" and the crowd is society pushing people to do something they don't want to do. And I just don't think Joey Ryan is really that deep. And most cases I've seen the opponent is in the heel role grabbing Joey's dick as a cheap move or to prove they're stronger. Mostly I think Joey is just an idiot who wanted to "Hulk Up" with his dick.

Joey is the heel a lot of the time but in those cases the face usually accidentally stumbles into it or goes for it as a test of strength. But you’re basically right about the hulk up with his dick part, although it wasn’t even something he came up with. I’m sure most have heard this story, but it was originally a spot Danshoku Dino told him to do to play off the stereotype in Japan that Americans have big dicks. Then the spot went viral and Joey ran with it, not even expecting it to last. He did an interview about it here: https://411mania.com/wrestling/joey-ryan-details-the-origin-of-his-penis-flip-and-how-it-went-viral-talks-treating-it-seriously-in-the-ring/

Joey’s gimmick is questionable in this day and age but I wouldn’t lump him in with a slime like Cornette.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

coconono posted:

He still a dweeb tho

Absolutely

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/JoeyRyanOnline/status/1262136380118806529

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

STAC Goat posted:

I'm somehow even more annoyed at Kane for making the very obvious "this is just like Nazi Germany" bullshit argument without the courage to actually say it. Kane is not only a poo poo person, he lacks the courage of his convictions.

He's a libertarian. It's like being a nihilist. These men are cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Venomous posted:

This all comes back to that age-old question: if Charlotte were released tomorrow, would she do a Moxley and become infinitely better in, say, AEW, than she is in the Fed?

I could be wrong, but I don’t particularly feel like Charlotte has some deep, untapped well of talent that is being wasted by the way WWE books her. It’s not like she’s been stuck doing midcard comedy routines that don’t fit her.