Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

This is admittedly an opinion from a stupid wrestler instead of a stupid wrestling fan, but it's worth remembering that you don't have to look for whackjobs on social media and wrestling boards to find idiots blaming other parties and Satanism for the Benoit murders:

quote:

Hogan, who last saw Benoit in March, says he wonders what pushed the wrestler over the edge. "I think it had to be something personal, a domestic problem between him and his wife."

And Hogan tells US the wrestler's wife (and WWE costar) had a dark side. "She was into devil-worship stuff. It was part of her [wrestling] character, but [she was] somebody who gets so close to their character, someone who gets into their character too much. Sometimes these people believe their own publicity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

SylvainMustach posted:

That's awful. Beyond none of these men looking alike, at least one of them, Caprice, wears tights whereas the other two, if I remember correctly, exclusively wear trunks these days.

I can maybe understand getting Coleman and Alexander confused since they used to be tag partners until recently, but Tadarius looks nothing like either of them.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Is it sad that I Ctrl+F'd for "bruno" before trying to read that?

Hahaha, I did the same exact thing when I saw the article on the F4W/WO site.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I honestly don't get why TNA fans are so desperate to paint the company's business in a better light than is remotely accurate. I mean, if you like the product that's your right although I may question your taste. But you'd think they more anyone would want the company to do better so they can survive and get better people.

As a huge NJPW fan I was super disappointed when the gate for their Yokohama show ended up being terrible. I'd love for them to recover and show continue to show signs of growth but I certainly don't get pissed when Melzer or others note that they have some issues and question the sustainability of their current success.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dimebags Brain posted:

Then where does the hate boner for ROH come from?

That I actually get more than stubbornly insisting that the company's doing great and ignoring all contrary evidence.

A lot of it probably stems from the fact that most "smarkier" internet wrestling fans like the ones found here who think that TNA's a terrible company much prefer ROH.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Stone Cold drew a hell of a lot more kids than Cena ever did in a similar time window. 1998 was when Raw pulled ahead of Nitro in the ratings but it was still WCW's most profitable year ever and they were ahead in the adult demos. WWF was just a lot more successful in getting kids to watch.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I can understand that some people genuinely love the product although I may question their taste. I don't get why that means you have to be in denial of reality though. Go ahead and mourn the fact that more people don't appreciate this "great product" if you want, but it's insane to deny every piece of evidence out there that the company's struggling at best and could possibly die very, very, soon.

I'm a sad NJPW mark and I don't get pissed when Meltzer questions their business decisions or points out that this current run isn't going to last more than a few years if they can't develop some new talent.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's tough to sensibly project where ANY business is going to be 20 years from now but WWE's a long way from going out of business

Any company that has 20 straight years of decline is going to obviously be in serious trouble. He's right in that the global wrestling industry is in a weak state right now and that no matter how much I love them NJPW being the only real major league fed would be horrible for the global industry, but one major fuckup (Network so far) isn't going to kill the WWE.

Not that they really matter for much in the grand scheme of things other than entertaining smarks and serving as a developmental territory, but ROH is actually doing rather well this year and their future looks a hell of a lot more secure than it did a couple years ago. Not fair to say at all that they're at their nadir.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

edit: sorry wrong thread

Thauros fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 18, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

That reminds me, I so wish they'd have a virtual HoF up with bios for each honoree.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I voted for Raw for worst show on both my WO and PSP ballots. Impact may be a worse show (i don't watch it), but Raw was inexcusably terrible for the majority of the year when you conisder that they're actually able to put on an enjoyable show when they pull their heads out of their asses.

Impact's bad because TNA's bad and they deserve worst promotion more than worst show imo.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 27, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Look if I had extra time to watch an irrelevant wrestling show I'd watch Lucha Underground before I'd watch Smackdown.

Yeah. I'm sure Smackdown's probably a better paced and more enjoyable show but one big WWE weekly show is the most I want to watch and Raw is much more important for building storylines.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I hated the Last Ride at the time, if only because the Tombstone is so much better. I can appreciate the Last Ride more now though, since we've had so many Play of the Day type finishers since.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Last Ride except for that it replaced an iconic great finisher. I'd be all for giving it to someone else.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

These men would be more stable if they stopped investing in helpless franchises.

The Mets and the Dolphins not the WWE ha ha ha ha.

thecubsfan turned out alright though. WWE and the Cubs even have similar developmental policies albeit for different reasons too

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Do these guys realize that Dave's actually been finding the show entertaining, said it's better than Raw, and would be thrilled if TNA was actually a competently run company with momentum that could be a serviceable #2 US fed?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

A wrestling and old game show channel on free tv actually sounds really loving awesome. Shame they don't have better wrestling.

gently caress, instead of lovely but still expensive new programs the WWE Network should acquire old episodes of Press Your Luck and Let's Make a Deal. I'm sure they'd be dirt cheap.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Hell even Dave didn't know you could check the Paddy Power odds easily from the US, he thought you had to be overseas

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

lol at literally anybody being above John Cena

If you're looking long term, Seth is at least arguable(still dumb), but Bray Wyatt? :lol:

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 30, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I wouldn't put Orton at #2 currently. He doesn't seem like that much of a draw anymore, and it's not like he's a guy you can build around for a lot longer anyway with his concussion issues.

Cena is #1 just because he's the only business influence they have

Yeah, Orton brings some name recognition but Dave has said many many times that there hasn't been proof in years that he's a draw.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Does TNAMecca think that, if we lived in a world where Meltzer didn't exist, TNA would be a big success? Do they just not like the mean man telling people bad TNA numberes?

It seems like they're just convinced he's lying and TNA's doing just fine!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

The first thing they did after being hired by ECW was show it off to Paul Heyman!

Now, now, let's be fair, that's not true. They showed it off to Raven first (real name Scott Levy)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

HulkaMatt posted:

Do they sell them now? For years you just had to bring them yourselves and then eventually the one fan who goes to every show became STREAMER GUY and just shared about 100 with fans.

STREAMER GUY's still around and passing them out in his custom t-shirt, but yeah they sell them now too.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Renaissance Spam posted:

That's what I'm thinking, which is stupid because at this point it's scuttling the ship. "If TNA can't be #2 then damnit no Indy can be either!"

Also, I thought that if the Univision deal went through it was LU that was going to be #2.

Yes, but based on the last couple weeks I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I Before E posted:

If NXT can't be considered a separate promotion from WWE, does the same apply to LU and AAA?

E: Hell, LU doesn't even have a touring schedule.

If I had to vote now, I'd give LU my vote for best weekly television series for 2015 but I wouldn't put them on my ballot for best promotion because it is really just a TV show.

It's not just an AAA tv show though. There's obvious overlap in talent and one of the Roldans is involved in it's production, but there's definitely US TV people involved in production and creative as well. It's more of a partnership than a AAA brand.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I don't know where to look for these things, but are there legions of Hulkamaniacs and/or white supremacists flooding the internet to defend Hogan?

@nasboat found a ton of them eariler today if you check out his account.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Concussions get easier the more you get. Getting one off a clothesline ain't a good sign for how well you're taking a punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMX3_lzITE

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

goc posted:

Are you really trying to compare Kofi Kingston to STAN loving HANSEN? I can only assume if he'd gotten a Lariat he would have gone into a coma.

I'd obviously rather take one from Kofi than Hansen but I still find it funny when people treat clotheslines as some ultra safe low impact move that could never hurt someone.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

You know on TNA's budget it would be six stray tabby cats pulling a children's sled.

Teddy Hart would still be happy to play the role at least

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I genuinely do want a Miz/Rosa Mendez love storyline simply because the subsequent rants from Dave would be amazing.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

super macho dude posted:

wtf is up with TNAMecca's boner for Shynron?

at least he's someone that TNA could plausibly sign for a change.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TinTower posted:

It's almost as if the results in professional wrestling are predetermined.

Hey now, just because there's been some shady poo poo including occasional match fixing doesn't mean there's cause to go all :tinfoil: and cast aspersions on the total legitimacy of this great sport.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I hate that all the UFC belts look the same. They should at least have the weight division on them. But no title should ever look like the crap ones they use in boxing.

MassRafTer posted:

I like that all champions are created equal.

The UFC's approach is absolutely correct for an MMA organization but I don't think it's the right approach for a pro wrestling fed. Thought they did a really nice job with the new women's belt and I'm generally not a huge fan of the WWE's aesthetics.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TinTower posted:

I know he's on the payroll, but can we add the fact that Billy Corgan was plugging TNA on InfoWars to this thread?

Maybe Alex Jones will return the favor and buy an ad spot.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/765901381513408513

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

AJ's promo work has noticeably improved IMO. I used to dread anytime he had a mic but he's playing the arrogant hillbilly rear end in a top hat on the mic very well.

He's probably a more natural babyface as far as in ring work is concerned but his character work is definitely better as a heel imo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sorry wrong thread

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

new japan and wwe were on pretty friendly terms in 2015. liger worked an nxt takeover held the same day as a big roh show with new japan talent i attended on coney island and they let them use footage for a finn balor doc. then the 1.5 raid happened and that put an end to all that.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

this is all true esp given the roh show the same day. roh got pissed and didn't book liger the next tour or two despite his popularity over here. still, it never would've happened at all even under those circumstances a year later despite technically being possible

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i remember wwe was trying to get "kingslayer" over as a nickname for someone on the roster at some point. rollins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

they def play up sexual tension between men even if it's designed more to appeal to women than men attracted to men so it's kinda a semantic thing based on how you want to view it