Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Babinsack is wrestling's Thomas Friedman and talking to Bruno is his riding in a Bangalore taxi

Please do not peep the new Babinsack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Cardboard Box posted:

Cm puck was right

Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call;
So, good night unto you all.
Now take my hands, if we be friends,
And tell me what my loving knuckles say.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Writer Cath posted:

Hell's Kitchen!

On RAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Shine posted:

3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!3D!

Fabulous

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
So Dave says TNA are cancelled while saying nothing about going out of business, Ryder says they aren't going out of business while saying nothing about being cancelled, and the latter is supposed to be an ironclad rebuttal of the former? Jesus h christ

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

I swear I've seen someone post this here, or something similar anyway.

DeathChicken posted:

The only lame thing about it is Popup Powerbomb sounds like either a lottery ticket or a board game from the 90s. He needs something clever that Cole can yell "HECALLSTHATTHE" to.

It sounds like "Papa Powerbomb" which is great because it reminds everyone that Kevin Owens is the best dad

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

god bless

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Blast Fantasto posted:

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2015/7/21/9008155/from-enchantment-to-disenchantment-in-two-short-nights

The post itself is whatever, but holy poo poo: there are people on this Earth who became wrestling fans because they liked Fozzy

I know one guy who got into wrestling because he was a Lizzy Borden fan

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Not sure where the best place for this is, but it's definitely about Stupid Opinions so this is as good as place as any.

I was at a PROGRESS Wrestling show in London on Sunday, and it was excellent as always. The champion was a guy named Jimmy Havoc, who's been the nastiest most evil loving bastard of a heel for two years. Everyone wants to see him lose the belt, but every time he manages to hold onto it. Havoc turned heel by attacking the babyface promoter Jim Smallman, and since then he's been taunting and tormenting the guy by not only holding onto the belt but forcing Smallman to count his pinfalls just to rub salt in the wound.

At the same time they've been building up this high-flyer called Will Ospreay. He's young, good looking, the most babyfacest babyface in the world. About a year ago he went to the top rope to do a 630 and ended up hurting himself, and since then they've done this angle where he's too scared to do the move so he does other finishes instead. Ospreay had a couple of shots at the belt before last weekend, but he either got screwed by Havoc's minions or got tripped up when he hesitated hitting the 630. At the last show he won a 16 man tournament to win another title shot, and every single person in the crowd was dying to see him win at last.

Like I said the show was great, and it ended with Ospreay hitting the 630 for the first time since his injury and Smallman counting the pin. Everything made sense, it was built up perfectly, and when Smallman counted 3 the roof came off the place. It was a perfect moment.

The reason I'm writing this here is because the first half of the show was ruined for me by this loving guy standing right behind me, who spent the first few matches talking very very loudly about how he books his own promotion, and how he could do certain things better than PROGRESS, and how he knows Vince Russo. Turns out Russo actually works with this guy and gives him booking advice. He said that while the beloved babyface beating the hated heel to send everyone home happy would be the expected ending, both he and Russo agreed that it would be better to do something unexpected to ~~swerve~~ the fans. The idea that these intellectual titans came up with was a double turn, with the heel-turned-face beating the face-turned-heel to retain the belt, and continue the chase for another few months with the roles reversed. The only justification he gave was that people wouldn't see it coming, and so it was intrinsically better. Plus even though fans said they wanted to see Havoc lose, they fact that they kept coming to shows proved they didn't really want that at all (???). There was no hint of a double turn before the match, there's no shades of grey in either guy's character, no-one wanted or would have appreciated a double turn in that match.

When I asked the guy whether he'd be worried that fans would get pissed off with that finish and stop coming to shows, his response was that since the show had sold out quickly they could afford to lose a couple of hundred fans (out of 700 there that night) because there'd always be plenty more to take their place. I was literally speechless. This guy is responsible for trying to draw as many fans as possible, and he's telling me it's ok to drive a significant proportion away for no real reason. A businessman who fucks up the simplest most elementary aspect of business.

I've occasionally asked myself what kind of idiot would hire Vince Russo in 2015. Now I know.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Mob posted:

Russo has never had a booking idea that wasn't "book the heels as faces, book the faces as dumbos"

Sure, and that stuff wasn't surprising I guess. But what really got me was the thing about "ah, it's ok to lose a huge chunk of our fans, there will always be more of them". I mean not only is that obviously nonsense, but Russo himself has disproved the notion several times. I know I shouldn't expect that he'd have learned from his mistakes but... Jesus Christ

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

rovert posted:

TomWaitsForNoMan was it this guy? The promoter for IPW:UK:
https://twitter.com/danieledler

I agree with you on PROGRESS's booking of that match. Pretty much perfect.

Although PROGRESS has it's Russo moments with swerves, turns and factions to be fair.

Oh wow, yeah, that's the guy.

And you may well be right about PROGRESS booking, I've only been into it for a few months so I might have missed some bad stuff. I haven't found anything objectionable recently though, with the exception of the interminable Faceless angle leading to Cruz/Ligero becoming tag champs without winning a match, losing them on their first defence, and then seemingly doing nothing

goc posted:

I sent a tweet to Russo saying I heard he wanted to do that double turn and I'm glad he's out of work. I hope this will inspire a rant from him, perhaps explaining that "Look bro, I know this business people want to be surprised and pissed off not go home happy and planning to come to the next show"

Hahahaha, well tbf I don't know how much of that lovely idea came from Russo and how much came from the guy Rovert linked to, but w/e

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
The guy I spoke to looked exactly like the guy in that twitter account's photo, introduced himself as Dan, talked about booking shows in Kent with Russo, and was wearing an IPW:UK T-Shirt. That last thing should have been a giveaway but I perhaps unfairly thought wearing your own promotion's shirt to someone else's show would be kind of gauche.

My point is if he did spend the night in a cell it was either sometime after the first 3 matches of that show or I was talking to the world's most talented impersonator doing the world's most obscure act

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 29, 2015

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

rovert posted:

NO.

This was after the PROGRESS show. I guess he spent the night/early morning in the drunk tank. Not disputing you at all.

Didn't mean for my post to be hostile or defensive at all, sorry. I didn't think you were casting aspersions, I was just saying that I was pretty sure the guy you linked to was the guy I spoke to because I misread goc's last post.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

goc posted:

I'm not really sure why I ended up quoting rovert in that post, all I was really doing was trying to say I think your story about that dude & Russo checks out since it's right there on his company's twitter page.

Oh I know, I misread you the first time and thought you were saying the opposite. Sorry, my mistake

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

He only made this bet because he knows they won't make it to Slammiversary

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
jfc he's still going

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

haunted bong posted:

anytime someone has a take like this, i always interpret it as reading "God, why can't I just be an rear end in a top hat for no reason anymore?!?!"

like seriously, how hard is it to just NOT be a shithead?

idk, mclevy's never managed it tho

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Speaking of poo poo Saudi takes

Comparing WWE having the blackface tradwife on a blood money show to Rosa Parks is some real galaxy brain poo poo

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Rarity posted:

Please stop posting the awful boomer in this thread

I'm sorry, I hate him

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

sticklefifer posted:

Wasn't "who says I'm Gabe" also literally the same thing the other account tweeted verbatim when he got called out?

100%. He's so bad at this

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Vandar posted:

He has an unhealthy obsession with Becky so naturally he's going to twist everything around to try and justify her winning last night.

An unhealthy obsession with Becky AND weird views about race. Perfect combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

STONE COLD 64 posted:

conversely im of the opinion that they should just refer to the womens belt as the World Championship, no women's delineation needed, common sense would tell you which division the world champion is in.

I've always thought the opposite, that they should start calling the world title the men's world title as well, like they do in tennis