Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Time again to Cook or Die!

Curry is generally understood to be a dish primarily influenced by complex combinations of herbs and spices. Curry can be wet or dry, involve meat or not, be mild or anus-searing, be eaten with noodles or rice or bread. Curry originates in southeast Asia, and the specific combination of spices used is a matter of regional tradition, but may include cumin, coriander, mustard seed, curry leaves, fenugreek, turmeric, lemongrass, tamarind, cardamom, garlic, ginger, onions, mace, bay leaves, fish sauce, or coconut milk, along with about a hundred other flavors, and lots and lots of chiles. You can curry almost any vegetable, including tomato, cabbage, lentils or beans, chickpeas, eggplant, and pumpkin.

There are a billion types of Indian curry, and I'm going to leave that taxonomy up to dino., who I'm sure will appear in this thread shortly.

Vietnamese curry is often very soupy, and frequently eaten with baguette.

Cà ri gà, by Mich

Burmese curry is very heavy on turmeric and onions, and tends to be less spicy.

Khao Soi

Thai curries use many fresh herbs and frequently peanuts, and come in three main types: red, yellow, and green.

Rogan Josh is a famous Kashmiri lamb curry that takes its bright red color from de-seeded chiles.

I'm no curry expert, but I had a huge craving the other night and made a pot of Khao Soi-type curry. I didn't feel like loving around with noodles so I ate it with rice.

Ingredients:

2-3 TB vegetable oil
1/2 onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, diced
3 TB Thai red curry paste
2 TB turmeric
~1/2 tsp crushed ghost chile
~5 whole, dried bird chiles
1/3 cup cashews
2 chicken thighs, diced
1 small can bamboo shoots
1 can coconut milk
1/3 cup white wine
~4 TB fish sauce
~1 TB sugar
squeeze of lemon or lime

Method:

Heat oil in a small pot and fry onion, shallot, and garlic at medium heat. When softened, add turmeric, curry paste, both chiles, and cashews, and fry until fragrant. Add chicken, bamboo, coconut milk, wine, fish sauce, and sugar. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked completely. Taste at the end and add more fish sauce or sugar if necessary. I like mine very savory and spicy, so beware.

Serve over rice with a squeeze of lemon or lime, chopped scallions, pickled red onions, and some angry lady.

So everybody go make a curry! Remember that posting in this thread obligates you to make a curry, any kind of curry, by the deadline of APRIL 21st or face dire consequences including internet mockery and a pox upon your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
April 21? I better hurry.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Dear friends, https://www.youtube.com/user/vahchef/videos

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Yeah, I'll cook a curry by then for sure so why not.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hold onto your butts, everyone.

I'm in.

Captain Kurt
Apr 24, 2007
Do you want a banana?
I'll step in with my Japanese Curry. For those not familiar, Japanese curry is generally not spicy (hot), but rather more of a "stew" type dish - though I make it thicker than most. It's commonly sweetened with Apple or peach or pear, depending on region or time of year. Fuji or Gala apples work best imho. Took me five years to nail this dish, makes me fap every time:

Ingredients
Servings: 12

Curry Powder:
------
4 teaspoons Coriander Seeds
3 teaspoons Fenugreek Seeds
2 1/2 teaspoons Cumin Seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons Green Cardamon Pods
1/4 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Whole Cloves
1/8 teaspoon Star Anise (grind pods and seeds into a powder)
1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon Sticks
1/2 teaspoon White Peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon Black Peppercorns
1/8 teaspoon Allspice
1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
5 teaspoons Turmeric Powder
-
Roux:
-----
3/4 cup Butter
3/4 Cup Flour
4 Tablespoons Curry Powder
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
-
Curry:
-----
1/2 cup Butter
2 large White Onions, finely minced
2 pounds Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, chopped into 1 inch cubes
2 Tablespoons Garlic, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon Fresh Ginger Root, grated
1 teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Curry Powder
6 cups Chicken Broth
2 Beef Bullion Cubes, or Bullion Substitute
8 Carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
4-5 White Potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
2 Gala Apples, peeled and grated
3 Green Bell Peppers, chopped into 1 inch cubes

Directions

Curry Powder: In a large skillet or frying pan set to low heat, lightly roast the Coriander Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Green Cardamon Pods, and Fennel Seeds for 1-2 minutes. Add Whole Cloves, Star Anise, and Cinnamon Sticks and roast for another 1-2 minutes until pan smells "fragrant". Remove and open Green Cardamon Pods and put the seeds back into the pan and discard the empty pods. Place all the spices for the Curry Powder into a blender, spice grinder, or coffee grinder, and grind to a fine consistency.
Roux: In a medium saucepan set to medium heat, melt 3/4 cup Butter and add Flour. Cook until golden brown, around 30-45 minutes. Add Worcestershire Sauce, Tomato Paste, and 4 Tablespoons of Curry Powder. Stir and remove from heat.
Curry: While Roux is cooking, in a large stock pot set to medium heat, melt 1/2 cup Butter and add Onions and caramelize until golden brown, about 30-45 minutes. Turn heat to high and add Chicken, Garlic, Ginger, Salt, Soy Sauce and 2 Tablespoons Curry Powder and saute until browned, about 5 minutes. Add Chicken Broth and Bullion Cubes and bring to a boil.
Once Broth is brought to a boil, add Carrots and boil for 5 minutes. Add Potatoes and boil for 5 minutes. Add Bell Peppers and Gala Apples and boil until all vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in Roux until thick.
Serve over steamed rice or noodles.

Captain Kurt fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 6, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I am a capsaicin addict. What's a good recipe for vegetarian curry that will destroy my taste buds forever and make me feel something again, however briefly?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Make mirch ka salan with habaneros and eat while considering how dumb it is.

bru
May 7, 2006

pampering lifes complexity

atomicthumbs posted:

I am a capsaicin addict. What's a good recipe for vegetarian curry that will destroy my taste buds forever and make me feel something again, however briefly?

I've made this a few times recently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vegetarian_curry_with_66421

And loaded it up with as many chillies as I thought my arse could handle, which it turns out wasn't as many as I thought it would.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
in

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Sounds like a fun one

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I'm down

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I made cheese, then I made curry:

Mutter paneer; no rear end destruction (unless you are lactose-intolerant), just cheesy peasy tastiness .

bru
May 7, 2006

pampering lifes complexity

Pookah posted:

I made cheese, then I made curry:

Mutter paneer; no rear end destruction (unless you are lactose-intolerant), just cheesy peasy tastiness .

Looks badass. Post the recipe if you wouldn't mind.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bru posted:

Looks badass. Post the recipe if you wouldn't mind.

Not at all :)

The cheese is very easy to make, I just use Manjula's recipe from here:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2008/05/24/how-to-make-paneer/

and left it under the weight for 3 hours to get it as firm as possible.

To make it into mutter paneer, I started with a 2 person serving of a curry base sauce something like this:

http://www.greatcurryrecipes.net/2011/06/24/how-to-make-restaurant-style-curry-sauce-for-use-in-many-different-curry-recipes/

I can't find the recipe I originally used to make a big batch for the freezer a few months ago, but I'm pretty sure it was broadly the same as the one linked above. Anyway, you take your curry base, then add about 1.5 tablespoons of tomato puree, a heaped tablespoon of whatever curry masala spice mix you like, about a tablespoon of cream and 6-8 cashews mashed to a fine paste.
Heat this gently until it thickens a little and the cashew mix is cooked. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Then add about a cup of peas (I used petit pois for extra sweetness and tenderness) and finally the paneer. Most recipes call for pre- frying it to stop it crumbling in the sauce but I didn't feel like dealing with the mess so I just cubed it carefully and sort of nestled each piece into the sauce to warm through, and they didn't crumble at all.

Edit: VVV That was careless of me, fixed now - thanks :) VVV

Pookah fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 8, 2014

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
You posted the curry link twice. Panner link is here: http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2008/05/24/how-to-make-paneer/

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
I love Jamaican curry goat, loads of scotch bonnets, all spice and thyme with indian style curry powder.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok I'll make a curry. Probably something with a yogurt sauce.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I'm in. Not sure how authentic I'll be, considering I just had to move my spice cabinet into storage, but I'll be damned if I don't try.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm going to make that Burmese curry tonight, it looks delicious. I've made Thai and Indian curries and that looks like a fascinating combination of the two.

Done! I used tofu not chicken, which I pan-fried to get a golden crisp. I also added some carrot and broccoli to get our vegetable quotient, and used the full tin of coconut milk, three shallots, and six cloves of garlic. It was delicious. What a great recipe! Thanks for the link! It's a definite make-again, and one of the best things I've made for a while. My Asian foods sometimes lack some depth of flavour but not this time. I was so pleased with it.

Oh, I also added extra turmeric, which made me say repeatedly "true meric is best meric!"

therattle fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 10, 2014

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Count me in too - if I say this then I can't/won't back out/forget. Lots of great stuff so far :kimchi:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

A bit off the beaten track with some Balinese fish (bumbu bali ikan) I made on Sunday night and had for supper on Monday. I'm cleaning out the fridge, so I got rid of some fresh turmeric, lemongrass and ginger, sautéed with garlic, kaffir lime leaves, cumin seed, sweet soy/ketjap manis/dark soy and sugar, tamarind water (crucial), bay leaf, shrimp paste and fish sauce, a little more sugar to taste and the stems and roots of a bunch of fresh coriander (the leaves I added right before serving). I like dishes like this very much with a light salad of shredded cabbage, if I can find good juicy cabbage, just dressed with a little vinegar, salt and sugar. I thicken the sauce with ground macadamia or cashew nuts.

You can fry the fish first, but it splatters so much so I don't always fry it myself.

I guess this qualifies as a curry in if not name, then at least in spirit? And it's so delicious with the sweet-citrusy-sour-aromatic sauce and a mound of fluffy, steamed rice. I just add my Thai birdseye hotsauce for the sake of the kid, but you can add them during cooking if you like - the dish is so aromatic in itself that it doesn't really require chili to be feisty.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Just had the leftovers of the Burmese curry and I've been told that I have to make it again, soon, and in greater quantities. It's really delicious. What an excellent recipe - thanks again.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
I was in such a scatterbrained rush last time I made my one-skillet vegetable chicken curry, I forgot to put the potatoes in! Still was fine, though.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Tomato curry from the new moosewoods cookbook. I've made it a few times recently and I think I prefer it without the bell pepper and ginger.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Left over curry pie. Excuse the terrible instagram filter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
DnF, I think you put another thai curry for the burmese one. Burmese curries have WAY more turmeric. They're using curry powder, and thai curry paste. And they say it's a thai dish. :gonk: Khao Soi is Thai.

If you want a Burmese one, check out this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjn3jRGOU4Q

Burmese food doesn't use a lot of varied spices. It's mainly turmeric, lots of coconut, a bit of ginger, garlic, shallot, and cilantro (from time to time), fish sauce (as you like it) or salt, and that's about it. You can tell a Burmese recipe that's using meat, because they'll marinate the meat itself in turmeric, then add a boatload of turmeric to the hot fat, and then do anything else. It's also a hella oily food. They use a LOT of oil to cook with.

You can tell that a Burmese dish is done when enough water has evaporated off that the fat separates out to the top. When you see the fat come back, you know it's done cooking.

dino. fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 13, 2014

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Hm, been awhile since I Vietnamese curried, think I'm gonna do that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I made eggplant curry last night. It was kind of mediocre :smith:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I made eggplant curry last night. It was kind of mediocre :smith:

Your avatar is sad for you.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pretty basic moong dal curry. About the most exciting thing in there is some fenugreek.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
In the south of India, curry just means something dry-cooked/stir fried with spices in. So this is potato, chayote, and collard greens curry.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anamaxis
Nov 20, 2012
Made Lima Bean Tomato Based Curry:

I really wish someone had sat me down as a child/teenager and told me to shut up and try most beans again, lima beans are so good and I missed out on them for the first 20 years of my life.

Anamaxis fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 13, 2014

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

This is based on a curry recipe from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything: The Basics." It's probably horribly inauthentic and dumbed-down, but it tastes pretty good and I make it regularly. The original recipe calls for lamb, but I use fatty pork shoulder because it's cheaper. I've also made it with chicken. Anal danger: 0/10

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I made a Rogan Josh. I think that I over-yogurted though. Was goddamn awesome however.

Edit: Didn't actually use the potatoes.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
So I got a week left? Cool, I'm'a get all Souf Effrikan here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobotie

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
So any dish with "curry" in the name qualifies? I should have a fun one to share tonight.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I done made a curry:

Thai red curry with lamb, topped with everything I could find including a quick pickle of cauliflower and carrot.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Squinty posted:

So any dish with "curry" in the name qualifies? I should have a fun one to share tonight.

It cannot have been made in a slow cooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Laksa lemak, aka curry laksa. I'd make this every day if peeling pounds of shrimp wasn't such a pain in the rear end.

• Locked thread