Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I guess it could, depending on how the camera systems works (which I have no idea). I'm guessing the camera's either save a video of you running the light, save a compressed image of you running the light, or if it's really sophisticated, it could look up your license plate on-the-fly.

The first 2 options are probably human verified, so the SQL wouldn't work. It would have to be an automated system.

code:
SELECT *
FROM DMV_MASTER_DATABASE
WHERE LICENSE_PLATE = ?;
If the camera software was as simple as this, then you could throw something like ' OR 1=1; and it wouldn't ever grab your plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

stuxracer posted:

It would read, but would return every record from the table since 1=1.

Yeah, I probably should've put AND 1=2, which is always false. Then it wouldn't grab it.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I'm a little sql illiterate but wouldn't it just look for the string "OR 1=2" from the license_plate column in the DMV table?

You can read up on SQL injection on your own time, but the initial ' is to close the license plate WHERE clause early and then attach some kind of extra qualifier (AND 1=2) so that the full statement is false and never queries your license plate.

IE: The camera ticket would be saved normally, but if you attach a false statement, then the whole query brings back 0 results, instead of the speeders information.

• Locked thread