Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

I'm trying to get Cortana to actually find me restaurant recommendations. All the natural-language queries I could think of from seeing people (in commercials) talk to Siri, like "I want pizza" or "Show me some mexican food" or "Cortana, find me Thai food" or "Where can I get pizza around here?" just takes me directly to a Bing search for that phrase, which is about as useful as you'd expect. Am I doing this wrong or is that just what it's supposed to do in that scenario?

"I want pizza"

"Find me Thai food"

"What are the best Japanese restaurants within walking distance?"

Totally disagree with the third one, but that's yelp for you :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Naffer posted:

Has anyone with a Lumia 521 or 925 with wifi calling on T-Mobile updated yet? I'm a little apprehensive about updating if it might break Wifi calling/texting.

Wifi calling works fine, texting is another issue, but I've always had issues with MMS and WiFi calling even before the update.

loquacius posted:

e2: Uhhhhhhhh it lost all my pictures. They're still visible on OneDrive, so they're not gone forever, but they sure don't seem to be present on my phone right now and I don't see an option to mass-download them.

Do they show up in the Photos App?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do I still need a third party app to show me battery percentage on a tile, or am I missing how to show that on the battery sense one.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Totally disagree with the third one, but that's yelp for you :v:.

I never added Yelp to the Notebook. Maybe that's it?

(how do I do that)

(also could I do it with Urban Spoon instead because Yelp is some shady poo poo)

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Anyone manage to find the setting for the new lock screen layouts? It doesn't appear to be...anywhere

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 14, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

I never added Yelp to the Notebook. Maybe that's it?

(how do I do that)

(also could I do it with Urban Spoon instead because Yelp is some shady poo poo)

Interests > Eat + Drink? I don't think you should need to add it though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Do I still need a third party app to show me battery percentage on a tile, or am I missing how to show that on the battery sense one.

If you bring up notifications via swipe, it will show you the battery percentage in the top corner under the battery icon.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Interests > Eat + Drink? I don't think you should need to add it though.

Yeah that's in there, no luck. Weird. Maybe I'm an edge case somehow and this is a bug.

I never got prompted to do initial setup either; I had to dig into settings to set my name. Maybe that's why?

I do really like that tapping Search brings up Cortana in text mode but holding it brings it up in speech mode. Handy.

e:

monster on a stick posted:

Do they show up in the Photos App?

Nope. Again, it's more of an inconvenience than anything since they're all still in OneDrive, but it's inexplicable.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

loquacius posted:

I'm trying to get Cortana to actually find me restaurant recommendations. All the natural-language queries I could think of from seeing people (in commercials) talk to Siri, like "I want pizza" or "Show me some mexican food" or "Cortana, find me Thai food" or "Where can I get pizza around here?" just takes me directly to a Bing search for that phrase, which is about as useful as you'd expect. Am I doing this wrong or is that just what it's supposed to do in that scenario?
Doesn't do that for me - I just tried "Show me the nearest Mexican Restaurant", Cortana voiced "I found this one", shows me a map with the location pinned, contact details and a button for navigation directions (and it was indeed nearby).

There will likely be growing pains with it over the next months, MS has said as they get more data from participants the variations allowed for sentence structure will increase.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

Nope. Again, it's more of an inconvenience than anything since they're all still in OneDrive, but it's inexplicable.

That is odd since they weren't deleted off my phone (though I went through a different update process.) Your music is still there right?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Anyone manage to find the setting for the new lock screen layouts? It doesn't appear to be...anywhere

Sounds like this isn't there yet.

Anyone know where the ability to control background tasks went?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Liking the update so far. Love the built in podcasts app.

I wish that Cortana was auto listening when I hit the search button, but a long press isn't too bad.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Yeah don't have it on my 520 either. Wonder if that requires the combined firmware update - hope not, as that will be late summer most likely.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope that the new podcast app isn't a day late on all my feeds, I'll be testing this week.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That is odd since they weren't deleted off my phone (though I went through a different update process.) Your music is still there right?

Yeah, music's all still there, and so are apps (after the expected round of reinstalls). Just the pictures. I just took one, and it is showing up as the only thing in my camera roll. No idea what's up with that.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Doesn't do that for me - I just tried "Show me the nearest Mexican Restaurant", Cortana voiced "I found this one", shows me a map with the location pinned, contact details and a button for navigation directions (and it was indeed nearby).

There will likely be growing pains with it over the next months, MS has said as they get more data from participants the variations allowed for sentence structure will increase.

Nah, this is definitely an edge-case bug, since Drastic Actions was able to put up screenshots of Cortana doing the right thing with my exact word choice and structure.

This was all done via typing rather than through voice since I'm sitting in my low-walled cubicle at work and don't want to be that guy talking to his phone in the middle of work. I'll try again via voice sometime later and see if that works any better.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

This was all done via typing rather than through voice since I'm sitting in my low-walled cubicle at work and don't want to be that guy talking to his phone in the middle of work. I'll try again via voice sometime later and see if that works any better.

I just typed it in rather than speaking it, and it brought up Bing web results. So you may be right there. :shrug:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

Yeah, music's all still there, and so are apps (after the expected round of reinstalls). Just the pictures. I just took one, and it is showing up as the only thing in my camera roll. No idea what's up with that.

Does anyone else have this problem?

FYI on the Podcast app, since a few people have been asking to play podcasts at a faster speed, there's a toggle next to the podcast 'picture.'

Should be under settings->lock screen. What feature are you looking for?

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone know where the ability to control background tasks went?

Try Settings->Battery Saver.

FYI I'm not on the phone team, I'm just an employee who has had WP8.1 for a few weeks.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 16, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Should be under settings->lock screen. What feature are you looking for?

The custom lock screens, like the ones they showed off at Build. I don't see it there either.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FYI I'm not on the phone team, I'm just an employee who has had WP8.1 for a few weeks.

Better file me a dogfood bug then -- anyone who takes a lot of pictures and turned auto-upload off might be a little bit madder about this issue than I am.

I suspect it might be related to that weird half-updated state my phone was in briefly as of this post, but of course that's pretty much unsubstantiated conjecture. Honestly that's probably bug-worthy in and of itself.

(for the record I was an SDET from July '10 to August '11)

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 14, 2014

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Drastic Actions posted:

The custom lock screens, like the ones they showed off at Build. I don't see it there either.
I think what they showed was an app, which hasn't been released yet. Though when I looked at APIs I didn't really see anything new related to lockscreen so who knows.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
There was a guy complaining earlier about playlist management, it does seem to be better w/ 8.1. I can go to an album, multi-select a couple songs, say "Add to..." and my playlist comes up as an option. I still wish I could copy playlists from the desktop to my phone, but *sigh*.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Probably missed this in previews but I was under the impression the "extra tiles" setting was restricted to phones beyond the smaller screen size models, but nice to see I get an extra medium-sized row on my 520 even. Makes a huge difference in the usability of live tiles when I can have far more at the largest/medium setting without scrolling, all are perfectly readable even with the limited 800x480 res.

Disappointed in the background photo option though. It looks "neat", but the problem with tiles is the users inability to customize them, and this doesn't really change that. I expected you could at least choose which tiles to be transparent, but nope. If MS isn't going to allow groups/folders I would think they would at least let you select the colour or background image per tile to help organize your apps, plus as the white text/icon doesn't have a colour outline if you choose a particular wallpaper you can completely obscure the tile.

It's definitely nice and an improvement, but still needs more end-user customization in this area. Having the ability to select a hue/shade instead of black/white for the background colour of the interface as a whole would be nice as well.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It just shows me Taco Bell when I do that. I tried "show me a different one" and it still showed me the same taco bell. I said I don't like taco bell and it showed me taco bell. I said "I'm looking for a restaurant called el Palenque" and it actually found that one, which says "Mexican grill" in the title - but it must not be in whatever database it's using at the moment.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Something neat I noticed:

Check out the "tiles" on the Wordament tile. They're transparent as well. Neat little touch, and I love the scrolling background stuff.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Partycat posted:

It just shows me Taco Bell when I do that. I tried "show me a different one" and it still showed me the same taco bell. I said I don't like taco bell and it showed me taco bell.

I choose to believe that this showed up in a bug report at some point but was resolved "Won't Fix" due to being objectively hilarious :v:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

I choose to believe that this showed up in a bug report at some point but was resolved "Won't Fix" due to being objectively hilarious :v:
My local Taco Bell has Mexican people working there, so I'm pretty sure that means it's authentic and Cortana knows what she's talking about. :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As long as I'm making a million posts today -- anyone know how to make Cortana track a flight that has not been mentioned in an email? I'm considering writing myself an email with the subject line "Flight info" and the body "<date> <flight number> <seat number>" and seeing if she figures it out, but there's probably a non-stupid way to do it too.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
For some reason, after I upgraded to WP8.1, once I had fully charged my phone then turned it off and on again the battery went down to 32%! I take it that's not normal, right?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

MyFaceBeHi posted:

For some reason, after I upgraded to WP8.1, once I had fully charged my phone then turned it off and on again the battery went down to 32%! I take it that's not normal, right?

Nope. Mine has gone unresponsive after locking it a couple of times but I assume this is because it is still loading and doing poo poo in the background

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

JPrime posted:

Check out the "tiles" on the Wordament tile. They're transparent as well. Neat little touch, and I love the scrolling background stuff.

Because those parts of the PNG are transparent, the rest are colored in. If anyone wants more transparent icons, they have to annoy the developers to get them to either make their icons transparent, or get rid of the background color code on their images.

Anyway, because I just got back from PAX I had to go to the store to get some things so I set a reminder to pick up some things. Originally I asked it to remind me to buy gyoza, but it kept getting "Giosa" or "Go buy this" so instead I went with "Remind me to buy milk when I go to the supermarket." After asking me which one or any of them, I went to the store. It did not ping me when I pulled up, but as soon as I walked inside...

So that's really cool.

Oh, and I must say again that Xbox (Resuming... Resuming...) Music still sucks.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

a couple questions.

1. Previously all the games I had were only visible in the games hub. Now they are all in the alphabetic app list. Is there a way to hide them all back into games hub?

2. I uninstalled the facebook beta app in favor of the new facebook app. However now all my contacts are no longer synced with their facebook pictures. Reinstalling the facebook beta app did not fix this. How can I get this to resync?

Malmanous
Mar 28, 2008

JPrime posted:

Yeah, I love the scrolling background, but so many of my Apps dont have theme aware live tiles so ive had to resort to pinning all the system apps to get the effect. I hope developers are quick about updating to 8.1.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Mine went down 50% in about 2 hours. I think part of that is I have 17GB of music on it and it was taking it's time re-indexing everything.

Gotta say the home screen is awfully pretty now with the backgrounds and the new columns. I think for the 5"+ 720/1080p devices you could actually fit another medium-sized row on there with how well it works on the 520's small screen and resolution. The app list icons and text are shrunken as well, glad to see MS is getting the point much like they are with Windows 8 that being so wedded to their Metro design language over the practicality of visible information without scrolling is just stupid design differentiation for the sake of it.

Like how the status bar is mostly persistent where it makes sense now. Apps can still push it out of the way if need be for their design, the problem with WP 8 is that if you needed to quickly check, you had to swap out of the app just to see your battery. Now if the app hides it, just swipe down to get the action centre.

Oh, and the Xbox Music tile now also no longer shows the album art of the music you're playing - probably only does it for streamed Xbox Live music I guess(?) - it's probably the app that has the least reason to have the extra-large tile. Just pave over the Xbox Music's office space already for fucks sake.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Malmanous posted:

Yeah, I love the scrolling background, but so many of my Apps dont have theme aware live tiles so ive had to resort to pinning all the system apps to get the effect. I hope developers are quick about updating to 8.1.
...as long as they give you the option to turn off the transparency, if they can. Having all apps be transparent would suck for readability and quick recognition, you'll have a sea of white icons + white text.

Malmanous
Mar 28, 2008

...as long as they give you the option to turn off the transparency, if they can. Having all apps be transparent would suck for readability and quick recognition, you'll have a sea of white icons + white text.

That's a good point. Perhaps the best option would be to allow the user to edit live tiles. Like Oblytile for Windows 8.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Stubb Dogg posted:

I think what they showed was an app, which hasn't been released yet. Though when I looked at APIs I didn't really see anything new related to lockscreen so who knows.

Joe Belfiore confirmed it's not in the dev preview but is coming.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Ack, why is Quiet Hours exclusive to Cortana, hence the US, hence about 50 people? I'm liking the update but that's a bit aggravating.

Also, the Store is down. Back-end updates or just issues?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does the facebook app show notification indicators on the smallest version of the live tile?

Also, the suggestions for URLs in ie takes less than 10 seconds to update now, which is nice. I prefer the old manual cursor movement for text input boxes though (hold tap for floating cursor a little bit above your thumb)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 14, 2014

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Wifi calling works fine, texting is another issue, but I've always had issues with MMS and WiFi calling even before the update.

I'm pretty sure that the current implementation of Wifi calling on WP doesn't support MMS, but is regular texting working properly over Wifi calling with WP8.1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

It uses your phones accent color if they are transparent. So it will always be white text on your chosen background.