Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Rent posted:

Curious, why do you turn off mobile data? Battery life concerns or very limited data?

If it's for what I used to do, it would probably be when you are travelling abroad and you don't have an international data plan. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that anymore. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I managed to have a go on a phone with Windows Phone 8.1 on it (Microsoft has a stand at a tech expo over here) and, from very brief impressions, it's alright. I can't say they have fixed everything because I didn't get much of a chance to check everything out, but the backgrounds thing certainly looked slick and the notifications thing was cool. This was running on a NL1020 so it was super fast.

Also, I didn't see Cortana on there (which I guess is to be expected if it isn't going to be available in the UK yet) but pressing the search button brought up Bing so at least that is staying. Pressing/holding the Windows key did nothing, though.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Their reporting is ok. Their forums though, let's just say they that by the sound of things they are F5ing every news source even remotely related to WP8.1 whilst waiting for this developer preview to come out!

Personally I think I'll wait until tomorrow when they have finished single handedly destroying Microsoft's servers or something.

Edit: Also, my habit of starting new pages just isn't stopping any time soon. :iamafag:

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
My 920 just started updating.

To the pre-8.1 update. :smith:

Apparently my device needs an update to make the phone ready for the big update.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Being able to shove more tiles on my 920 screen is amazing. Also, when you are moving the tiles around all the tiles go slightly transparent so you can see your background.

Another thing I noticed is they haven't completely taken voice commands off, you just access them by pressing/holding the search button rather than the Windows button.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
For some reason, after I upgraded to WP8.1, once I had fully charged my phone then turned it off and on again the battery went down to 32%! I take it that's not normal, right?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I have a pitiful amount of music on mine, so I have to ask: Do third party apps like MixRadio chug or is it just the Xbox music app?

I actually prefer to use Nokia MixRadio as I find that, most of the time, It Just Works[tm]. Then again, there are some times when it will just skip to the next track when it's half way through playing one track. :argh: Playing local music through it works fine, though.

Also, whilst the stock Podcast app is alright it doesn't have all the podcasts that I like so I'll stick with i-Podcasts.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Out of all the things wrong with xbox music, the fact that you can't change the audio settings in the app is probably my biggest thing against it. Why is it an option in the menu in freaking Nokia MixRadio yet it's not an option in the stock music app where you would expect it to be? Sure this is something that the music app in iOS does as well but surely they want to be seen as being better than the competition by adding such things!

Also, if you want to ask Cortana something funny, ask it what it thinks about Google, Apple, Android and iOS.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
At least you don't have to log in to all your apps that require a login after every time you turn the phone off (hey, I don't like being disturbed at night)! Aside from that and the fact that apps don't seem to be staying on in the background, things are ok on my 920.

Also, I assume that Nokia will eventually update Glance because it isn't showing the notification icons anymore for me, only the time and the battery icon if it is charging.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Only if he's in the US or set his phone region as such, as quiet hours depends on Cortana for some idiotic reason.

What this guy said. I'm in the UK so I don't get all the cool Cortana features. I did briefly change my location/language settings the other day though just to try it out but I think I'll wait the however many months it will be until it comes over here.

Also, the apps that updated themselves show up in my action centre just fine. I don't think I told it to say anything in the action centre but that seemed to be the default for me.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Ev posted:

I didn't explain that well. It was actually just not streaming mixes I'd already created, but when I bothered to make a new mix it streamed just fine.

Can't speak to playing songs stored on the phone since I only use it for streaming.

It wouldn't stream mixes that I created either but I found out it was because it logged me out of my account. Try logging in again and it should be fine.

Also, I am finding that it is very slow getting my music, resulting in a blank screen for a couple of minutes.

Has anyone noticed that their battery life has greatly reduced in 8.1? Mine doesn't seem to last any more than 6 hours before dipping below 20% from a full charge, when it would last up to 9 before. I'm on a 920 btw, which also gets very warm even when simply browsing Facebook.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I've installed the update and already I have 2gb freed. Everything else seems ok. Hopefully it does fix the terrible battery life I've been getting.

Also, why did it take them a month to bring out a bugfix?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I'm sure they said it will only be the US (and maybe Canada?) when released, then pushed everywhere else once it's out of beta. Basically similar thing to Siri, in as much as it's available to the US as a beta.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
My 920 recognizes the charger almost immediately. :smug:

Also, when is the 930 supposed to be coming to the UK. I have a hankering for a new phone and that looks right up my street...

...until the 1530 gets announced!

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

LentThem posted:

I think we're going to see a sharp drop in quality from the Nokia MixRadio team(s) now that MS owns them and they're going to be forced to conform.

They better not loving touch Nokia MixRadio! They only recently stopped random songs from skipping and I actually use it more than Xbox Music. If they touch it then I'll have to bring my iPod nano out of retirement just so I can listen to music in the car again.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I've noticed that the bing news live tile finally updates so I don't have to go into the app to see which famous BBC entertainer from the 70s has been done for being a kiddie fiddler! It also notifies me of when a breaking news happens, which it hasn't done in a month so I was surprised at that.

Things have certainly been improving for me, even tough the Xbox music app is still a pile of crap.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I really prefer MixRadio compared to the spotify radio feature, especially as spotify seems to have trouble playing some local files on my PC and MixRadio won't play the same 5 or 6 songs in a row! If MixRadio ever dies I'm not sure what I'll do, especially as it plays genres that I actually like rather than "Oh, you like Rush? Let's just play EVERYTHING from the 1970s then!"

gently caress you, Rush is awesome! t:mad:

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I managed to get the new 8.1 update 1 developer preview thing on my 920 and it seems to be running really well at the moment. Cortana does seem a bit slow, though, but I'm not sure if that's because it's the UK beta version or if it's because my 920 is getting a bit slow. Also I wish they would hurry up and release Lumia Cyan over here on 920!

Also, regarding the 930, I thought they had problems with overheating on that phone. If those have been fixed than that's great and it means I might get one maybe.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Yeah, the WP8 version is cool for reading out street names. My problem is it drains the battery, even when it's plugged in. I'm not sure if it's because I'm running 8.1 developer version or if it's because of my phone. I could downgrade to 8.0 but I'll only do it when Cyan finally turns up on my phone. Also I like folders too much in 8.1U1 to want to go back.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Chime me in as another goon who jumped ship from WP to Android, in my case a 920 to a Huewei Honor 6 (it costs as much as a Oneplus One except it runs actual Android and you don't have to jump through hoops to buy it). My reasons are pretty much the same as everyone else, what with the music app being terrible and no decent replacement for the 920. The app situation I wasn't too concerned with (I don't really game on a phone so that didn't bother me) but the amount of lovely shovelware apps and flappy birds clones in the app store was just depressing.

Hopefully Microsoft will maybe possibly release a killer flagship phone that will be totally awesome and maybe Windows 10 will be good but right now I'm just disappointed in the whole Windows Phone situation.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The Denim rollout list is on the link below for Europe. If you go up a level you should be able to get the rest of the world as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-europe/

That list isn't up to date because the Lumia 735 is out in the UK now, especially seeing as Microsoft are advertising Cortana everywhere round here.

Get it together, Microsoft!

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
While it would be nice to go back to windows phone the main thing that is keeping me away from it is actually the music app. I was fine with everything else as I am currently using my android phone for mostly social media things (including snapchat :argh: ) and music but I disliked it on windows phone. Even Spotify felt wrong on it but that just boiled down to no developer giving a poo poo about WP! Everything else I loved, including Cortana and the fact that it could read out texts whilst I was driving.

How is the 930? I never used the QI thing on the 920 but I liked glimpse and its a feature I actually miss from WP. Is it a worthy successor to the 920 or is it more so-so?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

OldPueblo posted:

If by glimpse you mean glance, congratulations the 930 is I think the one phone that can't do it. :toot:

Yeah, that thing. It is the one thing I don't get. If the 930 is supposed to be the ~*~flagship~*~ phone then why take away the things from the previous phone, like glance?

Regarding the alternative music apps I still have my 920 so I may just fire it up again just to dick around with and see what denim is like whenever they feel like updating that!

Edited because apparently the 930 does have QI charging? I didn't know that, and I don't know why I thought it didn't.

MyFaceBeHi fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 7, 2015

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I'm sure Ulilililia will tell you. For all we know he probably ported it over to WP!

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

I love the comments in this blog. Two things: a) people don't know what an early developer preview is (hint, poo poo be buggy and not all features implemented) and b) some people missed the bit where they explained why high end devices won't be getting it for now so of course they are very unhappy and letting big bad microsoft know about it!

Oh Internet, never change! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

beuges posted:

xylo, any chance you can shed some light on the inability for MS to enable Cortana for all regions, even in a completely unsupported alpha phase for english only? It baffles me that they make a big song and dance about the fact that Cortana can now speak klingon for the 5 people in the world who care about something like that, yet it's still unavailable for the majority of the english speaking world. Are they going to leave Cortana region-locked when Windows 10 rolls out for the desktop as well?

Not xylo, but I thought they said that Cortana will be available on all phones in W10 phone AND on in W10 PC. I could be wrong though and it could be wishful thinking, considering this IS Microsoft we're talking about...