Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So in universal (Windows Phone) apps, the hardware back button does not go back through the navigation stack but hibernates the app. I can override this, but why is this the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I'm playing around with my views in FoulPlay, and I'm not sure what's the best way to handle the main view.

In the original app, it would launch on a Pivot view, with the friends section showing first. You then swipe to see the other sections. But I was also thinking of instead creating a hub view with a menu of options to access those other views, instead of showing them all on one pivot view. Now that I'm remaking the views, I've made both to see what works better.

This is the hub view

This is the pivot

Note that I did not add the messages listview, and I'm still playing around with the xaml for the other lists.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

This looks broken to me, because the second page of the hub doesn't snap into the same place as the first one.

That's because the gridview used in the second hub section is not working :v:. Again, I was playing around with it, it was more about seeing what kind of design worked. I think I'll just stick with the pivot though, it seems to work fine.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
The future is almost upon us.

Note that I can't actually test it yet, since Cortana does not seem to be fully running in the emulator. But hey, It's registered and the code is there to handle it :v:.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

xylo posted:

I'm not sure if it does or not. I don't have the headset with the controls to try it out, sorry.

I know my headset gets my voice in the emulator (IE. I can record audio), but Cortana does not actually finish any request done with voice. It always fails with an error message, so I can't test the integration stuff I've done to see if it works. Is there any way I can test that with the emulator? Or do I have to wait for the dev preview? Or is it just broken for me.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Wheezle posted:

You think that's busted, try dragging a commandbar from the toolbox onto a windows phone app in the UI designer.

:crossarms: People do that? I always typed it in.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

We still looking at 10th April for the Preview for Developers drop of 8.1?

:crossarms:

Seeing that it's the 13th, I'm pretty sure no one is. It'll probably be early this week... maybe...

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Being able to shove more tiles on my 920 screen is amazing. Also, when you are moving the tiles around all the tiles go slightly transparent so you can see your background.

I turned it on for a minute, but I can't use it. It's way too low resolution to be useful, and looks really ugly to me. But that's why it's an option. :)

I'm so happy it's finally out! Now I can debug my apps on an actual device rather than the emulator. I can also get my Anime mascots as wallpaper on every device I own :3:

I did have to move my live tiles around though to make it look okay though, but the scrolling background does look quite nice.

My only major complaint is being forced to switch to English to use Cortana. My usual workflow is debugging the English version in the emulator and the Japanese version on my phone. But because I want to use Cortana and test against it, I need to switch it around. At least I can keep the region settings, so my apps are still sorted correctly. Most people are not going to have this issue though.

Also, try as I might to get it to play "Ahh Ahh, Seishun No Hibi" by Yuzu, it just won't do it ;). Cortana did play "4Rest" when I asked, but also responded "Okay, Now playing 4-R-E-S-T". I think Siri got it right when I tried there, I'll have to check later.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

I read everywhere that Xbox Music became more terrible?

I was just about to post this. Holy poo poo it is. It's slow and the list view will randomly stop showing names of artists for a few seconds on load. It's painful right now, but at least it does not seem to break music playback into a separate instance like the old one did.

Also can anyone connect to the app store? Because it's failing for me.

EDIT: Never mind, after I restarted the phone it loaded. :confused:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 14, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

I'm trying to get Cortana to actually find me restaurant recommendations. All the natural-language queries I could think of from seeing people (in commercials) talk to Siri, like "I want pizza" or "Show me some mexican food" or "Cortana, find me Thai food" or "Where can I get pizza around here?" just takes me directly to a Bing search for that phrase, which is about as useful as you'd expect. Am I doing this wrong or is that just what it's supposed to do in that scenario?

"I want pizza"

"Find me Thai food"

"What are the best Japanese restaurants within walking distance?"

Totally disagree with the third one, but that's yelp for you :v:.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

I never added Yelp to the Notebook. Maybe that's it?

(how do I do that)

(also could I do it with Urban Spoon instead because Yelp is some shady poo poo)

Interests > Eat + Drink? I don't think you should need to add it though.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

This was all done via typing rather than through voice since I'm sitting in my low-walled cubicle at work and don't want to be that guy talking to his phone in the middle of work. I'll try again via voice sometime later and see if that works any better.

I just typed it in rather than speaking it, and it brought up Bing web results. So you may be right there. :shrug:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

monster on a stick posted:

Should be under settings->lock screen. What feature are you looking for?

The custom lock screens, like the ones they showed off at Build. I don't see it there either.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

JPrime posted:

Something neat I noticed:

Check out the "tiles" on the Wordament tile. They're transparent as well. Neat little touch, and I love the scrolling background stuff.

Because those parts of the PNG are transparent, the rest are colored in. If anyone wants more transparent icons, they have to annoy the developers to get them to either make their icons transparent, or get rid of the background color code on their images.

Anyway, because I just got back from PAX I had to go to the store to get some things so I set a reminder to pick up some things. Originally I asked it to remind me to buy gyoza, but it kept getting "Giosa" or "Go buy this" so instead I went with "Remind me to buy milk when I go to the supermarket." After asking me which one or any of them, I went to the store. It did not ping me when I pulled up, but as soon as I walked inside...

So that's really cool.

Oh, and I must say again that Xbox (Resuming... Resuming...) Music still sucks.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

...as long as they give you the option to turn off the transparency, if they can. Having all apps be transparent would suck for readability and quick recognition, you'll have a sea of white icons + white text.

It uses your phones accent color if they are transparent. So it will always be white text on your chosen background.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Maneki Neko posted:

You will be very very sad. I've got about 1100-1200 on mine and it's largely unusable. Very slow and unresponsive, sometimes fails to draw the UI (I just get a black screen), etc. The lock screen controls generally work fine though, but I can't set things like "shuffle" via it.

I'm pretty sure if that app had to go through their own certification process, it would fail. If you're on the main now playing screen, and you use the volume controls to pause a track, the play/pause button in the music app won't reflect the change. The artist background banners show up about 20% of the time, and almost never appear on the lock screen even though I told it to. :argh:

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I have a pitiful amount of music on mine, so I have to ask: Do third party apps like MixRadio chug or is it just the Xbox music app?

The other music apps I've used seem to be fine, including MixRadio. It's just Xbox Music.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Is there any way to change what news sources are used by Cortana? Because I don't want to see Fox News stories about Benghazi in my feed.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

Is there a dedicated WP app development thread? I saw some questions posed in here so I guess if there isn't anything better I'll throw them here as they come up. The only one I really have right now is whether it's possible to initiate a VPN connection from C# code.

Not that I know of. I've been wanting to make one but :effort:.

As for VPN stuff, there is Windows.Networking.Vpn, which should work on WinRT apps.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So when 8.1 was released I put my sim card back into my Lumia 920 and started using it as my main device... that lasted all of three days. It's back in my iPhone. I'm still going to develop for it, but once you use something like an iPhone 5S or Nexus 5, it's really hard to go back to that 920 hardware, even if the OS is improved. If/when there is an update to the 1020 with a better screen I would be interested in picking it up and trying again.

Beyond the hardware there, there are a few other software issues at the moment really holding me back from fully committing too. Xbox Music drives me insane. I get that's the old beta version, but even when those bugs are fixed I have a feeling I still won't like it as much as the iOS and Google Play music apps. Also having to use US English really impacts my workflow when making apps. Having to switch just to test my Cortana hooks is annoying, and I wish there was an option to just enable it no matter what language your phone is set to.

Also, it's more fun to speak with Siri in Japanese. :shrug:.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

MyFaceBeHi posted:

At least you don't have to log in to all your apps that require a login after every time you turn the phone off (hey, I don't like being disturbed at night)! Aside from that and the fact that apps don't seem to be staying on in the background, things are ok on my 920.

Also, I assume that Nokia will eventually update Glance because it isn't showing the notification icons anymore for me, only the time and the battery icon if it is charging.

Launch the Glance options again. There was an update that should re-enable them again, but you have to enter the options again for it to actually update it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

If all goes well, I should be submitting my first Universal app to the store on Monday :D.
All I really had to do was remake my Windows 8 views. Nearly everything else is shared between the Windows 8 and this Windows phone version.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Hey Xylo, I can't get Window Phone's header controls (The battery, time, signal strength bar, I'm not sure what it's called) to respect the requested theme settings in my App.xaml. I'm trying to force the light theme for both Windows 8 and Windows Phone apps, but the controls at the top only seem to respect the phones settings, so while I set it to display the light theme those controls are still white, so you can't see them. Am I missing something?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

xylo posted:

I think the official name for that is the tray. I don't know what the design options for that are, but off hand if you're trying to override how the user set something on it's phone and you can't, that sounds like a good thing. I do know it's possible you can turn it off in someway (see the bing apps for an example).

Well, with Windows 8 the user does not get a choice between the light and dark themes, that's up to the developer. Windows Phone 8 users can pick though. I was trying to create a consistent theme between the two apps. The only element that does not seem to respect my choice though is that tray.

EDIT:

For reference, this is what I was trying to do

I'm using a pivot control. I'm overriding the header style to have a background and forcing it to use the dark theme. The rest of the interface is using the light theme. I'm doing similar stuff with my Awful app on Windows 8, which lead me to try it here.

The tray is appearing because I set the theme on my phone to light. If I use dark it will be white. I could just override that portion too to have the same color as the pivot header (or not do any of this theme crap and just use the user preferences).

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 20, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Is there no way to get the active song being played? Before I could just call MediaPlayer.Queue.ActiveSong, but all of that is gone now and I can't find a replacement. :(

EDIT: Oh, by the way, the Xbox music app overrides the user settings and uses a dark theme. It also does not show the tray. :v:.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

xylo posted:

IMO, and I'm sure many would agree, the current Xbox Music app isn't something anyone should model anything after. Just sayin'.

True. But Onedrive also does it. It colors the tray blue.

And while I'm bitching about controls. It still annoys me that pull to refresh is still not a supported control. Every implementation (as far as I can tell) is custom, which leads to users coming to me asking why it's not supported in my apps.

EDIT: And to be clear, I only complain because I care. I'm rooting for this platform. I just want a better phone to run it on. Maybe you could get Microsoft to give me and Combat Pretzel a 1020 or 1520?

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 21, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
xylo: I've got another question for you. I changed my phones language and region settings back to Japanese. If I set my speech language to English, I can hold down the search button and still get access to the advance voice command features.

This is great. I can keep adding voice commands to my app without having to set the language of the phone to English. Sure I lose Cortana access, but I don't really care about that right now. My bigger issue is if I set the speech language settings back to Japanese, I don't get voice commands at all. I tried resetting the phone, but I can't even get the old interface to appear. Was it taken out completely? Is it ever coming back? It's not like it's a major loss, but I'm just wondering.

Oh yeah, my phone is set to light theme mode. If you change the speech settings right after you reboot the phone and then launch it, it tries to show the dark theme :v:.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So around 2 PM I submitted a 8.1 package for FoulPlay.

An hour later, it's in the store

That was fast :eyepop:. A pleasant change from even a year ago, when it took over a week. Although I question if it was actually tested or not... eh, whatever. It's in. :)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Drastic Actions posted:

Oh yeah, my phone is set to light theme mode. If you change the speech settings right after you reboot the phone and then launch it, it tries to show the dark theme :v:.

Found another bug with some strings

The new lines on the recommended apps and top rated games/apps strings are not working right. I think there are a few other floating around too.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So my Lumia 920 is acting all kinds of crazy right now. The power button does not work (unless I'm holding it down to turn it off), apps won't install and when i try to turn it off, it comes right back on. It just happened, I have no idea what could be causing this :(.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So I factory reset my phone, which seemed to fix it. Restored the backup, and then the phone offered an update. :shrug:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

OldPueblo posted:

Now that the start screen is restored as well as app data, is there any reason anymore to cringe when you need to do a hard reset? All I can think of is re-downloading your Xbox music, but creating a playlist ahead of time with all the music saved would probably make that easy as well?

My only issue so far is getting my music back. Xbox Music won't cloud sync with most of it (Lots of JRock/JPop :v:) so I have to manually move it back. Beyond that it's not too bad. My pictures and docs are synced with Onedrive, so that's not an issue either.

EDIT: And now my phone is freaking out again. The start menu is not loading half the time and the power button won't work. Well, time to switch phones again!

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 25, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Eh...I'd say somewhat. It's better, but certainly not back to the performance of the 8.0 music app for me at least.

I still get black screens on load about half the time I launch it. Which is a 25% improvement :v:.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So I've been continuing to work on the Windows phone version of my awful forum reader, and now I'm at a state where I can have a beta. It's not at feature parity with the Windows 8 version (which itself is getting a rewrite more or less.) but it's getting there.

If anyone wants in, just let me know. Again, this is not feature complete, and I know they're plenty of bugs. This won't be as stable as Bootleg Robots version. It's just something I'm playing around with.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

tk posted:

I've seen plenty of 920s with cracked screens. Some people just like to drop them in the right way, I guess.

You've seen 920s? In the wild? I'm delighted anytime I see a Windows Phone in public, because it does not happen often.
And while It's nice that the 920 is rugged, I can't tolerate the bulk it adds. I really gotta upgrade it at some point.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Irritated Goat posted:

What are you guys recommending for music? Just dealing with Xbox music? I'm fine with streaming it but I'd like to create playlists on my PC rather than the phone.

MixRadio is alright. I'm not sure about playlist support since I don't make them though, but the actual app works fine. If nothing else, the newest builds of Xbox Music are at least usable now. If you have a subscription can't you create playlists on the web site ALA Google music?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I'm going to be in New York City this Friday and Saturday for //Publish/, a Microsoft run event for getting apps into the Windows Phone and Windows 8 stores. I'm not sure what app I'll actually be working on though. I was doing some massive refactoring work on Awful Forums Reader over the weekend, so I should be able to get the Windows Phone version submitted during the event. I also have a universal version of CrouMetro I'm building, but I have a feeling few people there are going to care about a Japanese social networking app.

Eh, I'll figure it out :v:.

Rent posted:

All in all, I'll eagerly updated to 8.1 when it comes out officially, but I don't think I'll do a preview again. I guess I expected a little more.

To be fair, the preview is a bit like running an later iOS beta version. It's not unusable, but it's still meant primarily for developers and not really meant to be used as a daily driver.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

HorseHeadBed posted:

I know, but I was wondering if anyone's actually used it. The sync apps for BB and Sony Xperia were less than pleasant to use on a Mac.

I would argue the Mac Windows Phone app is better than the Windows 8 Metro version.

Not saying much, but it's good. It integrates with iTunes and iPhoto and works just fine.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

RVProfootballer posted:

Can't be, it doesn't say Verizon anywhere on the front.

You can't see the back. It probably has a huge Verizon logo spanning the top left and bottom right corners of the phone. :v:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Yeah, pretty sure they did not read the whole tweet there. That, or I can create a meme app that will erase everything on the users phone, in which case I'll get right on it!

EDIT: On a side note, the first sentience of that translation is a bit too literal for my taste. :mmmhmm:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

So is there anything in the store worth looking at as far as Youtube apps go? Or are they all just a dumb IE repackage that takes you to youtube.com?

IE plays youtube well enough, but I've been kind of spoiled by the Google Youtube app on my OG iPad.

Metrotube is pretty good.