Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Has anyone with a Lumia 521 or 925 with wifi calling on T-Mobile updated yet? I'm a little apprehensive about updating if it might break Wifi calling/texting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

monster on a stick posted:

Wifi calling works fine, texting is another issue, but I've always had issues with MMS and WiFi calling even before the update.

I'm pretty sure that the current implementation of Wifi calling on WP doesn't support MMS, but is regular texting working properly over Wifi calling with WP8.1?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Zarfol posted:

If possible, get a Nokia 925 instead of a 920 if you can. If you want to get a 920 on the cheap you can pick one up on Swappa for ~$120 or so. But if you want to go cheap, get a 520/521 or wait a month or two until the 635 comes out for $99.

I know this is from the last page but I wanted to say that one of my family members got a refurbished 925 from Tmobile for $150 and it's a really nice phone. It supports their Wifi calling, LTE, glance, plus it has a nice OLED display and feels really nice in your hand. I've been using a 521 for a while and you can really tell the difference between a $400 (retail, new) phone and a sub $120 one. The refurb one is $200 on Tmobile's site but if you have a plan and login it is priced at $150. The one they shipped me looks essentially brand new.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

jeeves posted:

Does anyone know a decent map program on Windows Phone that will actually let someone find directions but like choose a different path than the one the thing picks by default?

My GF is really annoyed since it keeps trying to plot her through the shittiest busiest freeway in the area.

Waze. It's free too.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Nokia/MSFT put up a site for the Cyan/8.1 update:
http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/
Nothing out in North America yet, but unsurprisingly the Lumia 810 is not getting updated.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
http://www.wpcentral.com/bing-vision-lost-all-features-qr-scanning
Seriously, Microsoft needs to stop removing features with updates. I'm still smarting over the gutting of Maps from WP7 to WP8.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Stick100 posted:

FYI:

https://twitter.com/TMobile/status/505006242583310336

HTC M8 for Windows Phone is coming to TMo. Not surprising but good to hear it's coming to everything except Sprint with full carrier support.

I wonder if it will come with Wifi calling. Wifi calling is such an awesome feature but it means having to wait several extra months to get update because T-mobile invariably has to fix it with every OS update.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

hotsauce posted:

True and I'm willing to bet TMo's wifi calling app is what's delaying 8.1 Cyan proper on the 521 (until "later this year"). If so, I'd imagine the M8 would drop around the same time.

From poking around on other sites it appears that Wifi calling itself doesn't break entirely on updating to WP8.1, but texts over wifi calling stop working. My guess is that's the holdup. Wifi calling on my 521 with WP 8.0 is already pretty buggy, and frequently doesn't let go after I lose wifi unless I reboot the phone. It works really well if you have strong Wifi in an area of zero reception, but will often choose terrible wifi over moderate and more-reliable cellular signal. Also MMS is nonfunctional when Wifi calling is enabled, but it's been that way since the beginning.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I haven't seen anyone mention this in this thread yet, but apparently Blu is releasing two windows phones. Both devices are dual-sim and unlocked.
The first is $89 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/BLU-4-Inch-Windows-Unlocked-Phones-White/dp/B00M9KSSUI/) and comes with 4GB storage and 512 MB RAM.

The second isn't available yet but is a 5 inch device for which the specs aren't out yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAXzuKFazA

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
And apparently Verizon is retiring the Icon already:
http://www.wpcentral.com/verizon-reportedly-retires-lumia-icon-less-year-after-launch

Things are not going MSFT's way.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
The T-mobile Lumia 521 finally got Windows 8.1 yesterday. If you haven't gotten it yet you should use the check for updates feature in settings.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 5, 2014

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, I'd agree. 512MB devices are not a great experience.

I'll add to this to say that I had a similar experience. The Lumia 521 was pretty serviceable on 8.0, but is very slow on 8.1. It was absolutely terrible with Cortana enabled, but it's still slower than 8.0 with Cortana disabled. I just tried to launch the podcast app and was met with a 5 second "resuming" screen followed by at least 10 seconds of really sluggish behavior.

I wouldn't suggest anyone buy a 512 MB phone at any price now.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

LentThem posted:

The battery drain on my 925 has been disgusting since I updated to 8.1 in April, and the information in battery saver doesn't tell me anything useful

I turned off Cortana and this helped quite a bit.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

loquacius posted:

So uhhh apparently Snapchat is locking the accounts of 6snap users

And all the snapchat apps are gone from the marketplace. Don't uninstall 6snap if you want to keep it.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

MyFaceBeHi posted:

That list isn't up to date because the Lumia 735 is out in the UK now, especially seeing as Microsoft are advertising Cortana everywhere round here.

Get it together, Microsoft!
I'm really perplexed as to why this phone available in the US. T-Mobile's current windows phone choices are either the $600 HTC or the Lumia 635, and there is no way anyone should be buying a 512 MB WP at this point.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
So this week both Band of America and Chase announced that they're pulling their windows phone apps. This seems like a step in a bad direction for Microsoft.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Mr Funkface posted:

So according to win Central windows 8.1 BoA support is also being dropped. Wtf you guys

Don't worry, NoDo. WP7.5, WP8, WP8.1, WP10 is right around the corner and should make all our dreams come true.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

CalvinandHobbes posted:

If you me the 640 then yes, Only ATT of US carriers I getting the xl
http://www.winbeta.org/news/t-mobile-and-metro-pcs-will-carry-lumia-640-not-640xl

If the 640 comes in at or under $200 on T-Mobile I think I'll buy it. I only wish it had an AMOLED display.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Chasiubao posted:

Was the sub-$200 price speculation locked or unlocked? I would consider switching to T-Mobile since I don't have anything tying to me to AT&T right now.

I assume locked, since almost all of the phones T-Mobile sells directly come locked. They'll unlock them after a couple of months of service I think.
One bummer: it looks like the 640 won't support LTE band 12, which is T-Mobile's newest acquisition.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

BabyMauler posted:

Vevo pulls their app from the store, and no poo poo tell you to use the website or the WP YOUTUBE APP! I laughed so hard, this platform!

The NYtimes app has been broken for more than a month, requiring weekly reinstallations to fix a crash bug. The old Microsoft weather app (not the new Bing/MSN one) has also been broken for almost a week.
It's becomes harder to justify keeping a WP device.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

benitocereno posted:

Does anyone have an idea of when the Lumia 640 will be released in the US? All I can find is international stuff and my 8x is dying rapidly.

I'm on T-Mobile, if that matters. I really just want a new flagship but I think I'm going to have to have to wait for a Windows 10 launch.

I don't think anyone knows for sure but probably in a month or so. On a related note, T-Mobile just updated their website for the 640 to indicate that it will support Band 12 LTE.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I'm sure I'm not going to like the answer to this question, but is there any way at all to backup or migrate the data of an app to another device if it isn't a feature of the app?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

bushes posted:

I went to the Microsoft store over the weekend and picked up a 635 for $49 to replace my 520 until flagships arrive. Anyone have an idea why they phased out the 1520 so soon without a successor? It seemed a bit..early. Not that I was going to buy one but I would have liked to look at that big ol screen one more time :allears:

I wasn't expecting the 635 to run a whole lot better than the 520 but I've been pleasantly surprised. I guess a boost in processing power goes a long way.

In this same vein, all the positive discussion of the 925 a few pages ago inspired me to buy a used one for $70 on ebay to replace my 520. I know it's a pretty old phone but it has LTE, a camera, and that wonderful OLED display with glance. I probably would have bought a 640 otherwise.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Mr Funkface posted:

Windows Phone 10 - Swiping is improved

Leaps and bounds, ladies and gentlemen. Leaps and bounds.

I'm angrily reading this thread while listening to music on my brown Zune 30.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Does anyone have any good ideas for ways to repurpose old WP 7 or WP8 devices?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Chasiubao posted:

The leaked T-Mobile price was was like, $89 for the 640. I want one, but not 'pay twice as much' want one.

Also you're likely to have Wifi calling on the T-Mobile 640 but not on an unlocked one.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

RVProfootballer posted:

Pretty sure the 520 and variants were far and away the best selling Windows Phone phones throughout 2014. They were definitely recommended here as a great low end option.
I bought a 521 in mid 2013 and it was a pretty decent phone for the price, but the WP8.1 update did not do good things for it. It became much less stable and performance suffered pretty seriously. The 925 is the same vintage and is still a wonderful phone, but that's what you get for the $400 (at the time) price premium.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

loquacius posted:

Waze's WP app is no longer supported since Google bought them, quelle surprise
It's such a shame. Waze on WP hasn't been updated in a very long time, and some things are already broken and likely never getting fixed. For instance, it no longer shows the price on the gas station map.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Evidently Microsoft is removing the FM radio app in their quest to remove the last vestiges of features that were previously baked into WP7 and WP8.
http://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-removing-fm-radio-app-windows-10-mobile/

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Naffer posted:

Evidently Microsoft is removing the FM radio app in their quest to remove the last vestiges of features that were previously baked into WP7 and WP8.
http://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-removing-fm-radio-app-windows-10-mobile/

Edit:
A few comments mention that there is no FM radio API, so removal of the app means they phones just won't support FM radio anymore?

real edit:
Screwed that edit up, obviously.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

That quoted memo pretty frankly implies that they're done. The continued development of Windows 10 Mobile is a little bit perplexing though.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

MrBond posted:

Are there even x86 CPUs that would work in a form factor any more, now that intel is out?

Is Hololens atom powered? I wonder if they're keeping Windows 10 Mobile around just because they need windows on ARM since with Intel's exit the prospects for x86 code on small devices has dried up.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

cvnvcnv posted:

Today's the day I can upgrade from my 1020 and what's this, the 950s and W10M have been such a trash fire that any chance of me getting a new Windows device have also gone up in smoke?

Zero surprise. :rip: in idiot pieces, you potentially magnificent platform that only disappointed and baffled ceaselessly.

Things have been on a downward slope since the end of 2014. Microsoft spent 2015 neglecting WP8.1 and their hardware. Then they released a half-finished mobile OS late with no compelling affordable hardware.

They really had a tremendous amount of goodwill in the community. Many people wanted to like windows phone and for a time the marketshare was continuously increasing, but Lumia sales weren't strong enough to save Nokia and Microsoft clearly acquired them without a plan for how to use them. Then they managed to botch the W10M launch so badly that it's clear that Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing the in the mobile space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Drastic Actions posted:

I agree that removing it sucks, because it did work great. I would also say that the Skype UWP is a vast improvement over the Windows 8.1 app and the normal desktop one (If only because those loving ads are the worst :argh:). So I disagree with it being a worse experience. I mean, the app's in dogfooding right now (and I think some of them leaked? But they're older) but it works well. So I'll hold judgment until I see that they won't add SMS support to iOS and Android. Then I'll bitch again.

If you have a positive skype credit balance it doesn't show advertisements in the desktop version. If you use bing rewards just redeem some points for 0.99 or something like that.