Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, the emulator in 720p mode shows five buttons in the action center, not four as in all the BUILD demos. Also, I'm glad to see that font sizes have been tuned down a little to more sane values.

Is there a mobile data toggle in the Action Centre, per chance? I'll be annoyed if there isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nope. Those are all you can choose from:

Oh boy, this'll involve a lot of interface making then, if things like file pickers and file handling is somewhat different.

--edit:
Christ on a stick, this goddamn dialer still uses text strings instead of color coded iconography to discern between incoming, outgoing and missed calls. Microsoft, what the gently caress, you morons!

Jesus effing Christ. Am I not more likely to want to toggle my loving data connection than project my mothereffing screen?

And I bet in the call log, if you have "Barry" in there, you don't know if it's his mobile or landline number until you hit the phone icon next to the entry?

Is there smart dialling, or at least unified search between call logs and contacts list?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Rent posted:

Curious, why do you turn off mobile data? Battery life concerns or very limited data?

Both.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Here's my usage scenario - I work long days, and no where near WiFi. I like to conserve my battery as much as possible, especially since I have to use Here Drive, and that thing demolishes battery (even after it's been closed - I think it's a long-standing bug). So I turn mobile data off unless I need to explicitly use it.

On my days off, I'm usually in a WiFi zone, so I have WiFi turned on and mobile data turned off. Occasionally, someone will send me an MMS picture message, which can only be downloaded over mobile data, so I need to hop in and out of settings to toggle it.

So that's it. I want to conserve battery and data usage.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xylo posted:

I'll forward the request to add the quick toggle option for cell data toggle. Can't promise anything but it doesn't hurt to ask though.

Gentleman (or lady), thanks. It's one of the few settings that can actually save you money, especially if you're on a fairly low data plan as I am.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

We still looking at 10th April for the Preview for Developers drop of 8.1?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

:crossarms:

Seeing that it's the 13th, I'm pretty sure no one is. It'll probably be early this week... maybe...

Bollocks, I meant the 14th! If it's not here by Tuesday, it will not be delivered in the first half of April as foretold in the BUILD scriptures. So there will be a great earthquake and the sun will become as black as sack cloth, and the moon will become as blood, and the seas will boil and the skies fall.

Yeah, I'll go get a life now. But I will be disappointed. My HTC 8X has started playing up this past week, saying it's got no SIM card when it clearly has. I'm hoping it's just a stupid temporary software glitch that's appeared - a power cycle picks it up again. But it's recurrent.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ack, why is Quiet Hours exclusive to Cortana, hence the US, hence about 50 people? I'm liking the update but that's a bit aggravating.

Also, the Store is down. Back-end updates or just issues?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone else having trouble with the Action Centre on an HTC 8X? The swipe down and swipe up gestures to open and close aren't very reliable, particularly the closing swipe.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

loquacius posted:

WPCentral reports that switching the language to US English and the region to US seems to be enough to activate Cortana; WattsvilleBlues and others should find that interesting.

I changed all the settings to US and I still couldn't use Cortana. Downloaded the new region settings and voice pack etc. That brought Cortana up but it said I couldn't use it because of my region settings.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Good. I hope this is a sign of faster agility. Because there has been none up until now. Right now I'm hesitant on whether to preorder the Lumia 930, which releases on June 19th, or wait another week and see what new things Android's got to offer. If Microsoft were dragging their balls in regards to fixing Xbox Music, it wouldn't have helped my decision, since music is a big part of a phone for me.

What's expected to happen with Android in the next few weeks?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: Figures there wasn't much else in that AMA. Same crap about Xbox Music and Cortana improving. Some bollocks about carriers.
--edit2: Except maybe for that:

Given that some people here wanted to disable data and cell radio.

Thanks for this. I fear that, by the time this and Cortana come to UK handsets, I will have moved to Android :smithicide:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Any ideas when HTC might push their own bits onto WP 8.1? My battery life has taken an absolute battering since I installed 8.1. Sitting on standby is the same, but any time I use it, the charge falls like a rock.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cortana is a nice toy, I suppose, but right now, all I use Google Now for is checking the weather. You won't find me yapping into my phone in public without someone else on the other end.

There are other things attached to Cortana, like on-device search and quiet hours, and improved voice recognition. The built-in Windows Phone voice recognition is pretty poor, I've found.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any reason en-US doesn't work for you in the UK? I'm in Belgium and have had all my computers and phones set to en-US since forever.

Apparently, the British 8X didn't include some US ROM bits or something. I've tried changing everything to US and I still don't get Cortana.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

There's going to be another 8.1 update to the developer release in the interim, don't know exactly all the bugs it will address but it may help with this before HTC gets their firmware updated. That's carrier-specific in timeframe so it might be a while - could be late summer for some folks. Hell my 520 just got Nokia Black a couple of months before the 8.1 preview.

My handset is unlocked so hopefully I'd get it sooner rather than later.

The app situation has started to bother me a bit more. Yeah, most major apps have a presence on WP now but too many of them are token efforts that don't really reflect the features or performance of their iOS and Android equivalents.

I'm getting déjà vu here, have I ranted about this recently?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

cstine posted:

And it's not getting any of the shiny new camera functions that are coming in Cyan - basically, at this point, view the 1020 as abandoned hardware.

Apart from the camera, the hardware is essentially already 18 months old. While that might not concern you much now, you're probably going to have the thing for two years or so. I wouldn't want to be using a 4 year old phone at any stage.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I have a 1 1/2 year old Samsung ATIV that's having some weird battery issues. I'll give it a full charge, and 10 hours later it will say 70% left or whatever. 2 minutes later, the battery is sub 10% and complaining, and often will start boot-looping.

Every now and then, like this morning, it'll last 3 hours before dieing on me.

I'm a pretty light user, so besides a few texts and a couple minutes in twitter, the phone's been idle with the screen off.

Is there an app that I can use to see what is using the battery, or to see if the battery is just dead?

Windows Phone 8.1 has an app called Battery Saver and it shows you what's using the battery. Is upgrading to that an option?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WhatsApp is back up. Gives me a message when I install it on WP 8.1 that it's not compatible with my OS, but seems to work fine.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/whatsapp/218a0ebb-1585-4c7e-a9ec-054cf4569a79

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Responding to a Twitter question, Marcus Ash said Cortana will be arriving on Windows Phone devices in the UK and China in "weeks, not months."

Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...rc=rss&attr=all

That's nice, I'll finally get quiet hours on my HTC 8X.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Edward IV posted:

Besides, I've dabbled with both iOS and vanilla Android and neither are as pleasing to use or look at but that's just me. Cyanogenmod or customized Android may change my mind but I really do miss some of the little things and features from Windows Phone and Windows 8.

What do you miss from WP when using other platforms? I ask because my next phone will be an Android, after nearly 3 years with Windows Phone.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

How much of a game-changer is Cortana on day-to-day use? I'm itching to get a new phone but if Cortana is balls-to-the-wall great, I might wait a while longer until it lands in the UK.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nevermind. Refresh the thread before replying :eng99:

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 27, 2014

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

After 2.5 years, I think I'm going to have to give Windows Phone the elbow and hop over to Android on my next handset.

I have a few questions though - has anyone who has used Windows Phone 8.1 and gone over to Android 4.4 regretted it? If so, why? I'm thinking specifically of little things that you might not notice until you've been using Android for a while, or even small stuff that hits you right away.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

My HTC 8X's battery life is hammered any time the screen is on these days, so I'm having to be extremely conservative with using it until I get home.

This has led me to get a Moto G as a replacement until my contract is up and I can oggle the juicy flagships next year. I'll get drunk and post about a modern male in the 21st Century straddling two smartphone platforms and seeing what's different, what I like, what I don't like, what I miss.

I know, no one cares.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ljw1004 posted:

Yeah, what's up with that? I can feel my HTC 8X getting hot as it sits there in my pocket, on the home screen, with only Cortana allowed to run in the background. Why does it get so hot?

I take it you're on 8.1? I'm sure there's a software bug not turning off WiFi or the CPU or GPU or GPS or something. I don't have Cortana but I've picked up the phone a few times and it's almost painful to touch, it's so hot.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Stick100 posted:

You'll love the G. It's got the best battery life in class and has everything going for it.

How's performance compared with the 8X?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Chamook posted:

I would be very interested in such a comparison post. My wife has been getting more and more annoyed with her windows phone and is considering going back to android, so a summary of how it feels to switch would be nice.

Okie dokie, it should be delivered tomorrow so I can do first impressions if you like, then in a few weeks I can chime in once I've got to grips with positives and negatives. I get all excited for new gadgets but I'll try not to get too hyperbolic.

Stick100 posted:

Performance is an odd word esp. when comparing platforms, but it should nearly never hitch which was the primary bullet point that iOS and WP held up against Android.

Since you're new to the platform go ahead and enjoy it but one thing that will speed the phone up is you can disable or speed up system animations this will make the phone lighting fast.

Here is how you enable developer options, but only do this if you want to speed up the animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadzwOYAXcc

Then go to developer options and set every animation to off. Also feel free to join the android phone thread although it gets a little* weird in there sometimes*.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583699

Make sure to skip to the end because there is about 300* more posting than WP and the thread moves really fast.
*very
*always

Been on the Android thread for a fair bit lurking, asking stuff occasionally. Cheers for the animations suggestion - I can't fathom why all the platforms make their animations so slow. I know they hide loading times with them sometimes but to me it just feels trite.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Moved onto a Moto G yesterday. Here are some observations, coming from Windows Phone 8.1 as I am.

1. No Rotate toggle in quick settings :smith:
2. Good overall performance but when loading a game for instance, I can’t alter the volume until I get to the menu screen. My HTC 8X didn't have an issue like that that I can remember.
3. The sheer number of options in Settings is staggering – may be due to my familiarity with Windows Phone over the last few years instead of Android. It's hard to find options at times.
4. Two camera apps? I know Windows Phone has “lenses” you can download, but on the Moto G there are two apps, right beside each other in the app drawer, called Camera. Madness.
5. This is my personal preference, but I prefer vertical scrolling for apps instead of horizontal scrolling. Horizontal arrangement seems a bit visually busy sometimes.
6. Notifications – never thought I’d be able to say this, but I think notifications are better in Windows Phone in this way: if I get an SMS in WP 8.1, if I accidentally clear the notification from the Notification Centre, the Messaging tile still shows unread texts. In Android, none of the icons have a number beside them so I could potentially have an unread text message and, having accidentally cleared the notification, be unaware until I go into the app again.
7. Related to 6 – getting a notification in WP 8.1 lights up the screen briefly and you can tap on the notification banner to access whatever it is the notification wants you to see. On the Moto G, the phone makes a noise but that’s it.
8. I like the way Android can get updates to things like the keyboard via the Play Store. WP would require an OS update.
9. The UI seems a bit inconsistent in place, where some fonts are obviously left behind from previous versions, and menus switch between light and dark depending on what settings you’re looking at. Hardly a huge deal, but noticeable.
10. I don’t think the Android People app can link all the contacts over account types, like Gmail, Outlook, Facebook etc. The People hub is still handy in 8.1 (though it’s been deprecated a bit) if you want to tap someone’s name and then have a look at recent Facebook posts etc. There's maybe a way to do this in Android, but I'm not familiar enough with it yet.
11. The lack of physical home, search and back buttons on the Moto G has not felt problematic.
12. Third party apps are fully featured in Android - WP is always quite some time behind iOS and Android in terms of app features, and sometimes doesn't get them at all. It's nice to feel like a first class citizen now.
13. Typing on the keyboard using swiping seems to require more accuracy on Android than WP. I'll maybe try the Swype keyboard to see how I get on, I'm just using the stock one at the moment.
14. Lack of a Linked Inbox is a bit annoying.

I've not come across anything that has made me regret moving from Windows Phone as such, there are pros and cons to both right now. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Android doesn't handle voice commands over Bluetooth as well as WP, which is odd since I've found the voice recognition to be much better on Android generally. With WP, I could get a text message while driving, have it read out through my earpiece, dictate a reply or call the person, all without touching anything.

Android doesn't even notify you of a text received, unless I'm missing something.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

cstine posted:

1. It's in Android L, for phones. Tablets have had it for ages for some reason.

5. 3rd party launchers all pretty much offer this.

7. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lukekorth.screennotifications&hl=en - even lets you pick which apps.

13. Google keyboard's swipe is... not fantastic. But, hey, take your pick of a dozen other good options.

14. K-9 mail does, and I find I prefer it to the google mail clients, generally.

Cheers for this. I hope the Moto G gets Android L.

Continuing my WP/Android comparison:

1. Maps – with Google Maps deleting history has to be done one item at a time. HERE Maps is much more user-friendly, I find.
2. No offline maps in Android - this is a huge thing for me as my data cap is only 1GB.
3. Battery is still eaten alive when using GPS during navigation. I was hoping there would be some power efficiency improvements over this past 2 years.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

There is offline caching in Maps, but there's some unintuitive way to do it. Alternatively, I found out today that if you search for a route and lose service, it still works nicely if you don't need to change the route.

I tried the offline caching thing, but it didn't work for me, just kept telling me I was offline. That's why I saved the loving map, Android. It's nice to have this experience with Android, though. I do feel kinda sad leaving Windows Phone for now. Like I'm turning my back on an old friend.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

LifeSizePotato posted:

A lot of my complaints about WP stem from my impression that nobody at MS actually uses the phone and thinks about how they'd improve anything. It seems like everything is created in a sealed office somewhere, and nobody is ever out with their phone saying "I wish it could do this useful thing" or "why does it do it like this, this is unintuitive and clunky" and then making actual changes happen.

It sometimes feels that, using WP, the OS devs did things to be different first rather than doing things different and better at the same time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Just got the 8.1 update 1 notification, it's slowly installing on my dev preview 920 (lol AT&T)

Ditto for my HTC 8X in the UK. Looking forward to getting Cortana, even though I've moved to Android this last month.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

Is there anything else other than Folders?

Heh, folders isn't working for me and Cortana isn't there either. It's also telling me the Battery Saver and Lock Screen beta apps can't start, but updates might be available from the store. Nope.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

Are you sure you actually have 8.1 Update 1? From what I know, the 8X does not actually have it yet. Only Lumia's.

OS version 8.10.12400.899? The update went live within the last 5 hours.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

That's just 8.1. It was released a month ago to the dev preview.

Strange, I checked for updates this morning and there was nothing there.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Venusy posted:

My phone seems to be completely stuck on the update screen, the gears are turning but nothing else is happening. :toot:

For how long has it been sitting like that?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

benitocereno posted:

I got .899 today to on my 8x too, must have been some conciliation prize for those of us who need firmware updates:

http://www.wpcentral.com/some-devices-needs-oem-driver-updates-windows-phone-81-update-1

Hope HTC doesn't take too long, was looking forward to having L2TP VPN as an option.

Well, poo poo:

"There are a small set of devices for which we aren't offering the latest build of the Developer Preview program due to an identified problem that requires mobile operator or OEM driver updates. These will be offered when the official update for your phone is available."

Disappointing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

One of the reasons I had to ditch my HTC 8X was the update to 8.1 through the Dev Preview absolutely destroyed battery life. Maybe the eventual 8.1 Update 1 will help with that, but as it is at the moment it's unusable for most things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

LifeSizePotato posted:

I'm sure there's truth to the "not being sold" angle, but even as a WP apologist, I have to admit it's pretty clear that the abysmal market share numbers fall mostly at Microsoft's feet. They're just so freakin' slow and lumbering and act like they're in a comfortable position where they can take their time and sales numbers will just start to happen. "Just wait till the next version" is practically WP's tagline, and has been since 2010.

This is basically why I jumped ship last month to Android. The 8.1 Dev Preview update to my phone hammered the battery on my 8X, leaving it almost useless unless it was plugged in. I needed a reasonably priced replacement until my early upgrade is available on contract at the end of this month. I could have got a Lumia 520 or something, but the Moto G seemed too good a chance to pass up to see how Android works on phones these days.

Last time I used Android was in January 2012, just before I got the Lumia 800. At that time, WP 7.5 wasn't as fully featured as either iOS or Android, but I forgave this because I loved the handset itself and the WP design aesthetic and UX fluidity. I was hopeful that, within a year or two, WP would reach feature parity with the other platforms and the niggles would melt away. It's now 29 months later and WP continues to lag behind. 8.1 was a good update, but it was a year too late and the ongoing bullshit between Microsoft and Google (even though I regard Google as the wankers here) doesn't help. Same for the US-centric features of Bing. America is not the world, and I know Android and iOS sometimes gradually roll things out to different territories, but Microsoft takes it to extremes.

Yeah, things are better, but they're not good enough.

A few people have asked me over the past year or two if they should consider Windows Phones as an upgrade option. Even after two and half years using it, I still haven't been able to recommend WP over iOS or Android to anyone. That's another two years that these people won't touch WP. There are too many things, maybe small things, that Android and iOS users take for granted that can't be done with Windows Phone, whether it's Chromecasting or a hundred other similar examples I can't think of right now.

Like most of the goons here, I really want WP to succeed and excel, but nearly 4 years in we seem to be making little progress. Using the Moto G for the past month, I do miss the fluidity of my HTC 8X's UI and UX, and the Windows Phone OS itself seems more stable and less prone to slowdowns than Android 4.4. But sadly those are things I'm willing to trade for the comfort of knowing I'm not relying on Microsoft to catch up. I can't console myself with waiting on the next version for the platform to make sense for me.

I'm probably going to get a Sony Xperia Z3 or Z3 Compact next month, so that's me out of the WP for 2 years, after over 2.5 years of using it. I wish I knew it would still be around the next time I'm due an upgrade :smith: