Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Great show, but I'm tired of the "main character is a weakling nervous wreck " archetype. Yet, I don't think a strong willed nerd would be as funny. Maybe the way the actor portrayed the dude just didn't click with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Are there actually dudes alive that are this awkward around strippers? Cringe worthy.

He had a valid point about the boners.

Sandpaper Wank
Oct 28, 2007
It's kind of uncomfortable

DrBouvenstein posted:

There were a few things I felt weren't right. When Dinesh said that he was the only one of them that knows how to program in Java, I thought that was odd. Out of four programmers and one systems engineer/programmer, he's the ONLY one that knows Java? Really?

And then at the end when Big Head said the Brogrammers had "de-compiled" his code from the proprietary media player Pied Piper used, that didn't seem right. I'm under the impression that, in general, you can't just take, say, the .exe file for the media player (which is likely all it is,) and "decompile" it into any worthwhile piece of code.

But, like I said, I'm just a "beginner" in the tech world, so maybe I'm wrong!

If Dinesh is the only one to know Scala, I suppose that makes more sense - he could have been referring to the JVM as Java in general and that might make sense, though it would be odd (or there could just be a technical inaccuracy in a TV show, not exactly surprising). Since the brogrammers also mentioned that it was the client, that also suggests that there's a server-side component, which might be more complex and written in another language by CEO nerd/the others.

As for decompilation - it's definitely possible, especially if as Dinesh suggests, it's Scala on the JVM. Not sure how Scala complicates the matter but you'd still get the bytecode either way. Very much doubt it would be legal if they did that though, for reverse engineering you'd have to do it all in a white room surely.

I've wasted far too much time thinking about this now though, so I'll leave it there.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Vincent posted:

Great show, but I'm tired of the "main character is a weakling nervous wreck " archetype. Yet, I don't think a strong willed nerd would be as funny. Maybe the way the actor portrayed the dude just didn't click with me.

the other option is "misanthropic arsehole who hates those around him but finds himself strangely drawn to them and their hateful antics and secretly suspects he might actually be one of them", but that requires a show where literally everyone is genuinely unlikeable, and that's hard to pull off even for a 6 episode limited series, let alone a full American season or half season.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

They apparently blew through all the local eccentricities and annoyances jokes in the pilot.

Yeah because that's easy to tell 2 episodes in.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sandpaper Wank posted:

If Dinesh is the only one to know Scala, I suppose that makes more sense - he could have been referring to the JVM as Java in general and that might make sense, though it would be odd (or there could just be a technical inaccuracy in a TV show, not exactly surprising). Since the brogrammers also mentioned that it was the client, that also suggests that there's a server-side component, which might be more complex and written in another language by CEO nerd/the others.

As for decompilation - it's definitely possible, especially if as Dinesh suggests, it's Scala on the JVM. Not sure how Scala complicates the matter but you'd still get the bytecode either way. Very much doubt it would be legal if they did that though, for reverse engineering you'd have to do it all in a white room surely.

I've wasted far too much time thinking about this now though, so I'll leave it there.

If these are the only technical problems with a script laden with technicality than color me surprised. Its certainly not something they have to do, other than jump over the bar of ENHANCE and smashing a keyboard key and shutting down the internet.

Still in love with the show, love that description of it being a bizaaro Entorage, and love how mean its getting.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

the other option is "misanthropic arsehole who hates those around him but finds himself strangely drawn to them and their hateful antics and secretly suspects he might actually be one of them", but that requires a show where literally everyone is genuinely unlikeable, and that's hard to pull off even for a 6 episode limited series, let alone a full American season or half season.

Yeah. I don't like the main character's fidgety nature, but I don't see him being anything else in the context of the story/show. I'll just have to suck it up, since I like the show, specially the parts with TJ Miller.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Something heard at no bank, ever: "Sorry, I can't help you open a new account and deposit your $200,000".

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Zero One posted:

Something heard at no bank, ever: "Sorry, I can't help you open a new account and deposit your $200,000".

It had nothing to do with that though did it? He needed a business account, but he has no business at all therefor he didn't have the paperwork to open the account the check was made out to.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
As someone who has worked at a bank, we would do ANYTHING to get a new account. Up to and including helping you file paperwork with the state.

Just wanted to mention that since it stood out vs. my personal experience.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The bank would help you set up an LLC? That seems like a lawyer thing. Or at least Legal Zoom.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I wouldn't think a bank would have the authority or paperwork for creating a corporation in their office no?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Love the lack of eye contact on the billionaire.

And the mass effect 3 slam.

e: And ratatat drops.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 15, 2014

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Shageletic posted:

The bank would help you set up an LLC? That seems like a lawyer thing. Or at least Legal Zoom.

The Dave posted:

I wouldn't think a bank would have the authority or paperwork for creating a corporation in their office no?

You've mistaken "creating a business" with "filing the paperwork".

At the very least you'd have a banker offering to move heaven and earth to win your business.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Zero One posted:

If I did I wouldn't have specifically said "or paperwork".

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Zero One posted:

Creating a business is all about filing paperwork. Not much else to it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

The Dave posted:

Yeah because that's easy to tell 2 episodes in.

Judge obviously knows Texas but I do think they did sort of blew through most of them already: ugly overpriced houses, strip malls, no women, electric cars, weirdo CEO's/creative types, angry goony hairy sysadmins, goofy corp headquarters and culture with meeting bicycles and bean bags,etc.

thathonkey posted:

Creating a business is all about filing paperwork. Not much else to it.

In reality he'd be smart enough to go here 5 minutes after his first meeting (but this is a tv show).

http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/business/business_licenses_and_permits.asp

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Keyser S0ze posted:

Judge obviously knows Texas but I do think they did sort of blew through most of them already: ugly overpriced houses, strip malls, no women, electric cars, weirdo CEO's/creative types, angry goony hairy sysadmins, goofy corp headquarters and culture with meeting bicycles and bean bags,etc.

In reality he'd be smart enough to go here 5 minutes after his first meeting (but this is a tv show).

I'm just going to interpret it as him being too much of a nerdy pushover to stay there after the guy behind him yelled at him for taking too long.

It's not exactly new ground for a joke but somehow the funniest part of the episode for me was the CEO's Siri clone failing to play "Imagine". Also the mega awkward business meeting with Peter Gregory was both funny and somehow also sold me on the guy being a successful billionaire. "Why are you drinking from an empty cup?!"

Also, I'm curious, does that joke about Larry Page being the "paid best friend" to Sergey Brin at Google have merit/origins to it, or was it just made up for the show?

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 15, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Keyser S0ze posted:

Maybe... But I remember being in my early 20's and wanting to start my own company for tax benefits of doing lots of freelance IT work. It seemed confusing as hell to my naive early-20s self and like it would have involved a lot of time/getting intimate with bureaucratic processes.

Also I was very very lazy at the time so that's probably also a big factor :shrug:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 15, 2014

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

grading essays nude posted:

Also, I'm curious, does that joke about Larry Page being the "paid best friend" to Sergey Brin at Google have merit/origins to it, or was it just made up for the show?

I was surprised by that too. If anything it would seem to be the other way around now. Larry is the CEO and Sergey barely shows up to the office anymore. Maybe this was the case when the search engine was getting off the ground?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DrBouvenstein posted:

And then at the end when Big Head said the Brogrammers had "de-compiled" his code from the proprietary media player Pied Piper used, that didn't seem right. I'm under the impression that, in general, you can't just take, say, the .exe file for the media player (which is likely all it is,) and "decompile" it into any worthwhile piece of code.

This is pretty much going to get Hooli sued so quick heads would spin. The second a corporate lawyer saw this the project would get shut down.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

Maybe... But I remember being in my early 20's and wanting to start my own company for tax benefits of doing lots of freelance IT work. It seemed confusing as hell to my naive early-20s self and like it would have involved a lot of time/getting intimate with bureaucratic processes.

Also I was very very lazy at the time so that's probably also a big factor :shrug:

Same here but the first bank teller I spoke to basically said "go to the city offices and file paperwork along with a 'DBA' newspaper ad and come back in a week".

Downtown Sunnyvale @ 25:45 of the show right before the bank scene, looking southwest on Mathilda towards Cupertino and Saratoga. Decent dive bars on the left on Murphy street, surprisingly filled lightly with San Jose gangbangers after 11pm on weekends. From that Caltrain station you can get to SF by the Giants ballpark in an hour.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Ochowie posted:

I was surprised by that too. If anything it would seem to be the other way around now. Larry is the CEO and Sergey barely shows up to the office anymore. Maybe this was the case when the search engine was getting off the ground?

That joke got the biggest laugh out of the people at the premiere. I'm guessing its common knowledge around the valley that this is the case.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Keyser S0ze posted:

Downtown Sunnyvale @ 25:45 of the show right before the bank scene, looking southwest on Mathilda towards Cupertino and Saratoga. Decent dive bars on the left on Murphy street, surprisingly filled lightly with San Jose gangbangers after 11pm on weekends. From that Caltrain station you can get to SF by the Giants ballpark in an hour.

I used to work in that broadcom building. Its always neat to see local stuff in tv shows or movies, where art and reality meet. I also paused the show when I saw that and said hey that looks familiar.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Hooli doesn't have a contract stipulation that they own all creations of their employees? Immersion RUINED :colbert:

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

At least most of them are used properly.

I'm just starting a "career" in the world of computer science and/or systems engineering (gotta love a sudden and abrupt career change at 30!) but most of what I heard seemed accurate.

There were a few things I felt weren't right. When Dinesh said that he was the only one of them that knows how to program in Java, I thought that was odd. Out of four programmers and one systems engineer/programmer, he's the ONLY one that knows Java? Really?

But, like I said, I'm just a "beginner" in the tech world, so maybe I'm wrong!

Also, TJ Miller's character is the one who ordered the stripper/prostitute, he CLEARLY should have paid. :colbert:

When Richard is speaking to Monica about Pied Piper he tells her he has it on GitHub, which made me assume that the thing was open source which would make it very easy for them to get the original source code without needing to decompile anything. It feels like some things are just mentioned without understanding the implications of them.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Keyser S0ze posted:

In reality Peter Gregory would've hooked him up with his corporate attorney to set up the business and handle the required paperwork.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

gret posted:

In reality Peter Gregory would've hooked him up with his corporate attorney to set up the business and handle the required paperwork.

And CEO nerd wouldn't be able to take a poo poo without said attorney breathing down his neck.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

Same here but the first bank teller I spoke to basically said "go to the city offices and file paperwork along with a 'DBA' newspaper ad and come back in a week".

Downtown sunnyvale is a wreck since it's still in the yuppie and techie flytrap construction stage.

I guess a good amount of the butthurt over the show is how is pretty accurately shows Silicon Valley as a overpriced blandtopia.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 16, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Best goddamned weather in Saratoga/Cupertino...that cooling fog comes creeping over the hills in summer but not obnoxiously like in western SF. Santa Cruz mtns are great too. gently caress anything around 101 though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ghetto Wizard posted:

When Richard is speaking to Monica about Pied Piper he tells her he has it on GitHub, which made me assume that the thing was open source which would make it very easy for them to get the original source code without needing to decompile anything. It feels like some things are just mentioned without understanding the implications of them.

If he had it on GitHub then he's doomed from the start. Hooli (and anyone else who bothered to notice it,) already has everything.

Yeah, they would face IP infringement for using the exact code, but that's more than enough for them to get started using their own actual code for his compression algorithm and be first to market.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I like it, it's like that Vince Vaughn movie but significantly less insufferable.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Hi guys, who is that guy on the picture on the wall?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
:siren: Tech Crunch did a review of this show and linked to my website :siren:

I first found out about this show today. My business partner told me we were getting more inquiries than usual due to this article on Tech Crunch which compared the house the characters live at to "the notorious Chez JJ", including a link to our website.

Chez JJ is a series of "hacker hostels" in SF and the peninsula specializing in providing space and community for itinerant technology folks. Most of our guests are tech people doing job interviews, looking for a full time place, and so on, however we've also had a few nascent startups run out of the houses. It's more than us doing this, though it's possible we helped kick off the whole movement after being featured in a New York Times article.

So, I watched the show, and it's hilarious. I especially like the Peter Thiel character (true fact: last year we hosted a dozen+ "twenty under twenty" Thiel Fellows at one of the houses for a while -- I suspect the writers didn't know this and it's just a happy coincidence).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bornbytheriver posted:

Hi guys, who is that guy on the picture on the wall?

Steve Ballmer? Probably not, but that's Lena next to him :swoon:

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

God drat this ad

Ahahaha cancer smaller

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Looks like he's sucking a dick...with another dick tucked behind his ear for later.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

You remind me of my son. He has Asperger's too.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I don't think this show knows how cicadas work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Another great ep. The Peter Gregory stuff was a little bit out there, but came together. Overall very solid.

• Locked thread