Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
SPOUT leading-edge is indeed the trigger to make the TFI fire the coil. According to this page, the TFI will also run on a limp timing map if it doesn't get SPOUT on the rising edge of the PIP signal. http://www.myo-p.com/Ford-EEC/EEC%20Help%20files/Files/TFI_grey_or_black.html

It sounds like the "push start" (grey module) one actually has a pin called "START SIGNAL," which would appear consistent with the fuel pump priming. Only the "black" module has the pins you described. Are you sure you got the right one? The page describes the black module as "early 90s," but you have a 1990...

e: Never mind, it sounds like that throws a poo poo ton of CELs if you run the wrong module. That's probably not the concern. Shoring up the grounds seems like a solid idea to me, and #40 and #60 sure look like a "true ground" on the ECU wiring diagram to me.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Blaise posted:

Well I spent a solid 8 hours trying to get the truck fixed. Don't think I'm any closer.

So it wouldn't run because I stupidly timed it 180* out. So that was fixed quickly.

However, immediately afterwards the intermittent electrical issue showed itself. With the engine off, you can hear something causing the injectors to click and the fuel pump to prime. Over and over and over again.

So I unplugged the fuel pump relay and the coil and started to look for the cause. After LOTS of unplugging stuff, I figured out that any time the TFI module case is grounded (that is, attached to the distributor when bolted to the block), the injectors click, the coil tries to fire, and the the tach likes to jump around. OK, progress...

I tried to replace the TFI AGAIN, with no luck. Safe to say I don't have a bad one from the store.

Here's what I don't get. TFI pinout:

So here's what happens when the truck is off, key on, with the clicking happening.

-Fuel Injectors click (fire)
-Coil clicks (and will zap the poo poo out of you if you try to unplug it)
-PIP is constant ~9V out (remember truck is off, I think this is fine)
-SPOUT shows 12V when clicking happens, settles to .2 when not. I assume this is the ECU feedback to it thinking that the engine is one.
-12V on start, no change
-12V on ICM power
-Coil out varies exactly as the clicking happens
-IGN ground is NOT ground. It's at 5V when unplugged from TFI and some other value when plugged in (2V?) and will jump around every time the click happens.

I'm thinking I have a bad IGN ground (which comes from the ECU). Shouldn't this be a true ground? I think the ground occasionally gets voltage, then grounds itself (shorts) thru the TFI, which then causes the TFI to send a signal to the coil to fire and then the ECU tries to fire the injectors. Logic good? Can't I just tree in a proper ground to the ignition ground? Or should I just buy an ECU?

For reference, here's the wiring diagram again:

http://i.imgur.com/E5rhevS.gif

I hate the drat tfi modules. Two questions: Where did you get it, and what color is it. I've gotten 3 bad ones in a row from parts shops. If it's not Motorcraft, I wouldn't trust it. If you have a black module in a manual truck (grey is the push start module), it would cause some weird stuff. Supposedly you get CELs if you have the wrong one, but not always. Also, double check your SPOUT test.

http://www.myo-p.com/Ford-EEC/EEC%20Help%20files/Files/TFI_grey_or_black.html

Edit: drat, didn't see the next page. Seat covered all that.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Between this thread and Seat Safety Switch's gentle prodding in IRC, I was convinced to pick up my own cheap beater bricknose truck.

88 Ford Bronco 4x4, 351W/C6 transmission, 116k miles. Structurally excellent, body has some rot but nothing some sheet metal and a welder can't fix.

After I sell the brand new mud tires and RIMZ and other misc. junk that came with it, I will have been basically paid to take it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So front wheel hubs, 50 rock auto special or 100 timkins?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elephanthead posted:

So front wheel hubs, 50 rock auto special or 100 timkins?

Timken. Do it right once.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Nice find. Old full sized Broncos are the poo poo.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
The rear end is going out on my trusty $700 94 Mazda B3000. Junkyard axles look to be plentiful and WAY cheaper than what I've been quoted for a rebuild, so I'm thinking about going that route. How difficult is this going to be for someone who's comfortable turning a wrench but hasn't done this before? Anything I should be aware of when pulling the part besides making sure gear ratios match up with what I have now? Anything else I should look to replace as a "while I'm in there" sort of thing that isn't going to cost me an arm and leg?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=7/8/2014^2FTEF15N9TCA44946

It's an automatic, but god drat, 48500kms(30,000 miles) on a 96 5.0. The thing's a loving time capsule

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/5RfvFCw.jpg[/IMG

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Viper_3000 posted:

The rear end is going out on my trusty $700 94 Mazda B3000. Junkyard axles look to be plentiful and WAY cheaper than what I've been quoted for a rebuild, so I'm thinking about going that route. How difficult is this going to be for someone who's comfortable turning a wrench but hasn't done this before? Anything I should be aware of when pulling the part besides making sure gear ratios match up with what I have now? Anything else I should look to replace as a "while I'm in there" sort of thing that isn't going to cost me an arm and leg?

I am assuming that is the same as a ranger - just grab the right ratio out of the same body style. Make sure there isn't a perch width difference, there shouldn't be.

Stuff to replace at the same time:
Axle Ubolts
Maybe the swaybar links if they look bad
Shocks if they look bad
Leaf bushings, but only if actually worn out. Crummy aftermarket replacements typically wear out many times faster than even a 20 year old OEM bushing and leaf bushings can be a bastard to do.
Take a peek at the rear shackle hangars, common failure on ford pickups and you will be removing most of the load from them so it would be easier
Brake hardlines, soft line, and cylinders if they are worn out or badly corroded since you will have two sets to choose from and will be bleeding the brakes anyways. If both sets are junk, new lines are cheap at the dealer and cylinders are almost cheaper than rebuilding them.

kastein fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 8, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

My Scion xB has run the last of its 103 horsepower, so I've been looking for a beater truck to replace it. I figured I'd ask this here, as this seems to be the truck thread.

I found this in my online searches tonight, ran the carfax on it. 171k miles, but 60k on the current engine, cat converter was replaced, and it had an accident around 42,000 miles that the ad doesn't mention. Also the engine replacement was done at a "local ford dealer", but doesn't appear in the service history.

Figured I'd check it out and offer $4500, see what happens. Any thoughts?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone else will be along to give you more specific advice but around here that color blue in a ranger means it's a fleet vehicle, which is a good sign for the condition of the truck. If you'd be the first private owner it should have had regular maintenance up to this point. They say they've changed the engine but does that transmission have 170k on it?

As far the accident two of my friends have former fleet ford trucks and they both got hit in the rear and their beds replaced - it didn't impact the truck at all. For my two cents used fleet trucks are an great deal and more people should look into them for a cheap vehicle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

My Scion xB has run the last of its 103 horsepower, so I've been looking for a beater truck to replace it. I figured I'd ask this here, as this seems to be the truck thread.

I found this in my online searches tonight, ran the carfax on it. 171k miles, but 60k on the current engine, cat converter was replaced, and it had an accident around 42,000 miles that the ad doesn't mention. Also the engine replacement was done at a "local ford dealer", but doesn't appear in the service history.

Figured I'd check it out and offer $4500, see what happens. Any thoughts?

$4500 would be a decent deal, $7500 is definitely way loving high.

Keep in mind while you're looking that the only substantial changes to the Ranger from 1998-on are in terms of engines - the 2.5L Pinto was replaced by the 2.3L Duratec, the 3.0 eventually went away, and the 4.0 I think switched from the pushrod version to the SOHC version by the end. They changed out gauges and lights and a couple of body panels here and there but those really don't change that much about a beater truck.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
42,000 mileage a year and they want $7500 for it?

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
My latest purchase for 1700. I could have probably brought them down on price but I feel good about it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Dealers don't use yellow marker when they replace engines.

Junkyards do, though, for inventory reasons.

fake edit: googled the VIN, found the original advertisement. It's a used engine, and as Jack B Nimble pointed out, it's a former fleet truck. Company logos are still on it in that link.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Senior Funkenstien posted:

My latest purchase for 1700

Give those headlights a quick polish and that will look rad as hell, nice pick up. Nothing like seeing a small truck from the 90s bone stock and maintained relatively properly.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Extra posted:

Give those headlights a quick polish and that will look rad as hell, nice pick up. Nothing like seeing a small truck from the 90s bone stock and maintained relatively properly.

Whats even better is its got one owner from when it was bought new and its 270k miles on it. It was mechanic owned so they took very good care of it, the guy even took it to get an oil change and buy some floormats and wiper blades for it before he gave it to me. I love this little truck.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Whats even better is its got one owner from when it was bought new and its 270k miles on it. It was mechanic owned so they took very good care of it, the guy even took it to get an oil change and buy some floormats and wiper blades for it before he gave it to me. I love this little truck.

$1700 was a steal with that kind of care/history, even with the high mileage. That was my favorite style of Ranger too (color matched bumpers+grill w/step side bed)

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
My pops dropped this cheap truck off at my place this morning:

A 91 Nissan pickup. Not even sure what model it is, as far as I can tell it's just called a Nissan pickup?

My parents were snowbirding between Phoenix and Kansas City, but decided to sell the place in the midwest.

Now they have no need for this, which my dad was using to put around town when he was here. He has his ~5 year old 1500 and has no need for, or place to put this. Figured I might want it. If not, we are probably going it dump it on craigslist.

The only reason I even bring it up in a thread full of cheap trucks, is that it's really goddamned amazing how well cars survive in the AZ state. Here's this 23 year old Nissan, and honestly I can't find a bit of concerning rust on the thing. The exhaust has a bit, of course, but otherwise it's in decent shape. Had this been in KC for 23 years, it'd look like hell.

I mean it's dirty as all get-out, but it just seems like it's in such good shape.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 1, 2014

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

With all of these I have seen I just had assumed the frame came rusted from the factory. Color me impressed. These trucks are fun but they are rust magnets where I live.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I still see plenty of these on the road every day. They're pretty drat solid, though if you hear a rattle on startup you'll need to replace the timing chain guides eventually.

Someone I used to work with years ago used an 89 version for delivery. In 2000, she had over 300k on it, and the only major work it'd ever needed was a steering rack, rear end, and clutch.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Linux Nazi posted:

A 91 Nissan pickup. Not even sure what model it is, as far as I can tell it's just called a Nissan pickup?

Nissan hardbody is the general name for those, they have half a dozen actual model names for the different variants in different countries, but they're all called a hardbody

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

I still see plenty of these on the road every day. They're pretty drat solid, though if you hear a rattle on startup you'll need to replace the timing chain guides eventually.

Someone I used to work with years ago used an 89 version for delivery. In 2000, she had over 300k on it, and the only major work it'd ever needed was a steering rack, rear end, and clutch.

The only problem those cars have is the frame rots out. Ive seen many Nissan hardbodys around Chicago that weren't safe to lift on a regular rack. Those trucks instantly got the alignment rack when they came in. I have seen some where I could fist the frame rust holes. Also seen some of the repairs people in and around Chicago have done, and lets say that I wish Nissan did a buy back of those trucks like Toyota did. It just sucks they rust like that because they are indestructable

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In Canada I think they're called a "Frontier". I knew a Nissan tech who had the Nissan Supercharged v6 installed, dual transfer cases, triangulated link suspension front and rear, exo cage, big tires. It was a great wheeler.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jonathan posted:

In Canada I think they're called a "Frontier". I knew a Nissan tech who had the Nissan Supercharged v6 installed, dual transfer cases, triangulated link suspension front and rear, exo cage, big tires. It was a great wheeler.

The hardbody was the precursor to the Frontier.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Alright after this poor truck sitting for 2 months I've finally pulled the ECU and ordered a replacement on ebay. Hopefully in a week or so it will be all fixed.

Why?

It's gonna be cold soon and I need to haul a few thousand lbs of wood back to the house. Also, dirtbikes.

:dance:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Ha. After replacing the distributor twice, the ICM three times, checking all wiring, changing coil, etc etc etc.

It was just a bad ECU. $48 shipped on ebay.

She's all fixed. Time to haul some stuff :D

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, I guess it does happen - but how many times have we all seen people blame the ECU when it's almost never the real problem?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, I guess it does happen - but how many times have we all seen people blame the ECU when it's almost never the real problem?

ALL THE TIME. Which is why I was sure it wasn't it.

Whoops. Also replaced the lockset, ignition switch, relays, ugh, what else. All cheap stuff tho.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Got a random guy asking me if I'd sell him my old mazda today. :3:

And in the front of the house there is:
A set of upper and lower ball joints,
A new muffler and tailpipe,
A full set of all of the coolant hoses

Just waiting for me to get some time to start bolting poo poo together.

Oh yeah, I got a thank you email from rockauto with a coupon code for 5% off. But I'm set for a good while and it does expire. Anyone want it? If so PM me (and mention it here please).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Like DrPain said, there are definitely exceptions. This is one of them apparently...

Alls I can say is that it's practically unheard of for a JTEC engine controller to go bad UNLESS you leave damaged/badly worn sparkplugs in and drive around with your foot on the floor. That'll nuke the ignition coil drivers in a hurry, as my parents found out, but that's about it.

I didn't know that Ford made lovely ECUs, kinda surprised honestly.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Another thread to post my recent cheap truck purchase in! Largely copied and pasted fron the "recommend me a cheap truck thread."

It's a 2000 Mazda B2500 (aka Ford Ranger) with the 2.5L engine, same as the 2.3L (and most of the same parts) but bored a little larger. 5 speed manual, regular cab.

It's a stripper model, so no A/C, no cruise control, no power windows or locks. It has a decent-enough aftermarket CD player. There is some rust, but not a lot. Timing belt is decent, fresh oil, fresh-ish battery. Clutch feels great and the engine runs great. 138k miles on it.

I paid eight hundred dollars.

This is in northern Indiana. I've been using it, and it gives me such a stupid grin every time I use it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I didn't know that Ford made lovely ECUs, kinda surprised honestly.

Caps maybe? I've seen other ECUs die from bad caps, but they were always Asian manufacturers.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Late 80s and early 90s Voyagers/Caravans had an awful ECU design that put the top halves of aluminum electrolytic caps directly in the line of fire from any FOD sucked up by the intake... pre-filter... so I wouldn't be too surprised. Ours died a horrible death at the hands of rock salt sandblasting.

Those and ignition coil drivers tend to take the worst beating. And voltage regulators occasionally especially if some dipshit tries to jump the battery with the polarity reversed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Parts Kit posted:

Oh yeah, I got a thank you email from rockauto with a coupon code for 5% off. But I'm set for a good while and it does expire. Anyone want it? If so PM me (and mention it here please).

Those codes aren't restricted use, and there's usually a bunch of them on Retailmenot anyway. Just FYI. :)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blaise posted:

Ha. After replacing the distributor twice, the ICM three times, checking all wiring, changing coil, etc etc etc.

It was just a bad ECU. $48 shipped on ebay.

She's all fixed. Time to haul some stuff :D

Am I the one who blamed it on the ECU ? If so sweet I like being right.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

IOwnCalculus posted:

Those codes aren't restricted use, and there's usually a bunch of them on Retailmenot anyway. Just FYI. :)
Ah, cool. Didn't know that. Thank you.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is what makes it the worst when it actually is the ECU. I blew so many coil packs and tried so much troubleshooting on a maxima once not believing it could be the ECU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blaise posted:

Whoops. Also replaced the lockset, ignition switch, relays, ugh, what else. All cheap stuff tho.

The upside is you know the rest of the electrical is up to snuff to drive across the country, right?

Be glad an ECU is affordable, and doesn't need to be flashed to match the vehicle. I'd be on the verge of bankruptcy if I had to replace my ECU.. since it'd have to either involve a dealer or someone damned skilled with a Tech2 tool. Goes for pretty much every recent vehicle, actually. :downsgun:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm shocked its the ECU. Usually that era of Ford had little issues if any with it. As STR said be glad its so cheap and a plug and play unit!

• Locked thread