Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

(Thanks to our friend Courtney Stevens for the artwork.)

10/14/14
Part 41

---

Back by popular demand! Like a Digimon, this thread can never truly die; it can only be reborn in a new, more powerful form. We've returned to this obtuse motherfucker of a game after a year away. Luckily, digi-parenting is like riding a bike. And by that, I of course mean that you forget everything and need the internet to remind you.

---

Digital Monster, or Digimon, was Bandai's boy-targeted follow up to their massively successful Tamagotchi virtual pet. Just like Tamagotchi, Digimon was an electronic keychain toy with three buttons and an LCD screen that could display various monsters. If fed and cared for properly, these virtual pets would thrive and evolve into higher forms of digital life. If neglected, they would languish and die. Over and over and over again.

Where Digimon differed from Tamagotchi was the ability to connect two of the keychains together to allow the creatures inside to fight each other, a feature advertised in America as (get ready for this) "Dock 'n Rock technology." Yes.

From these cockfighting keychain toys came Digimon World for the Sony Playstation. It retained all of the creature raising simulation elements and branching evolutionary paths of the original virtual pet toy and placed them into the world of an RPG adventure game. Players travel across File Island making friends, vanquishing foes, and ensuring that all of their digimon buddy's excrement lands safely in a toilet.

Also, there's a meat farm.

Youtube Playlist

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 36.5
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41

---

@sbiblin posted:

capslocksaurus posted:

Astroduck posted:

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Oh right, I forgot all about that whole deal with HerculesKabuterimon. But speaking of the Prima guide.... Is that any good? I feel like no one's ever told us to get it, so it can't possibly be, but is it? Anyone know?

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is probably why I liked Digimon World 2 better. I'd be curious to hear how K&K feel about DW2, though.
I definitely want to try it someday, but I'm fully expecting to hate it for not just being 'Digimon World 1 but less hosed.'

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 8

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 9

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

World War S posted:

I recently watched the first few episodes of Digimon. As someone who never watched any of it as a kid, it was a very :stare: experience. I think I came out of it understanding even less about Digimon than ever before. I feel like the first few episodes of Pokemon at least make a little more sense... but that may just be nostalgia at work.
PFFF, It's not supposed to make sense!

alcharagia posted:

Lemon's base stats actually do increase C'mon's stats so he's more powerful for the HP Chips! :eng101:
Yeah, but not very significantly :/

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Happy rebirthingday, Lemon/Cmon!
This is making me think of the Alessa/Cheryl/Heather relationship in Silent Hill 3. "Happy 1st/15th Birthday, Punimon." If I had any artist talent I would draw Punimon on the phone with Leonard.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 10

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 11

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 23, 2014

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Guys you missed the 15th. That rain plant is going to clog your inventory for a whole year now.
No, you only need to get the plant on the 15th. Now that we have it, we can use it as soon as Vegimon appears (which happens when our City Prosperity Rating reaches 9). Not sure if the plant appears only on the 15th or if it stays there until you pick it up... Knowing this game, probably the former.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 12

So long, Penguinmon. Our time together in this digital world was too short.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Frigimon is probably the cutest Champion level Digimon... not that it's saying much, but still.

I have a couple of tips if you're interested:
If you have Centarumon, you can rest at his place, south of Jijimon's house. It will restore your tiredness much faster.
Your first Champions aren't going to be all that spectacular, so get used to it.
I don't think you're supposed to get Ultimates until you've upgraded your city a little.
Most importantly: you desperately need new techniques. Tear Drop isn't going to get you far. You should be able to get them by getting his brains to around 200 and fight ModokiBetamon until you learn his techniques.

Oh drat, I forgot all about using Centarumon to get rid of tiredness. We already learned that, I feel so dumb.

I agree that we desperately need new techniques; thing is, we never found a clear consensus on how to go about doing that. If you think it's as simple as having high brains and get into battles, we can give it a shot.

I should hack my PSP to put Digimon World on it, because I'm pretty sure I can just transfer the save file over from my PS3. Then maybe I could spend time doing dumb training on my own time more easily.

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 21, 2014

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Awesome, thanks Lazerbeam.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

PSP hackery success! Hopefully this will encourage me to do some "off-air" training.

PS, from the opening paragraph of that techniques guide:

quote:

1. Learning Techs

Learning techs is fairly straightforward, but not exactly easy. Learning
techs is a function of the mon's brains stat. When the
digimon's brains stat reaches the high x40s, it becomes eligible to
learn a tech.
If this is to be believed, brains is very much an important part of learning techs. Also, what in the loving hell does "the high x40s" mean????

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Was able to get Water Blit while playing on my own time today. :) Did it by fighting J-Mojyamons because they use water blit with much more regularity than ModokiBetamon.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

No, I'm being careful not to waste too much time. I only spent two days in PSP world.

e: Only thing that sucks about playing on PSP, and this might only be an issue with the version of the game I downloaded, is that it doesn't run at full speed. :/ It's maybe like 75% speed. Kind of disappointing.

Anyway, I'm working on the next episode today so hoepfully it will be out by tonight.

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 27, 2014

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 13

Sorry this is a weird half-episode. Basically, it's Keith's fault.

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 27, 2014

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 14

In which much more happens than has been typical of late (you should watch this one).

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 15

AriadneThread posted:

I think you guys are still missing uh... what'shisname the fish guy that helped you get to the jungle. You can go back to where you met him and he'll expand the item shop again.
Seriously? God drat it... Since we took a break for so long I couldn't remember things correctly, so I just assumed that Coelamon had set up the shop first and then Betamon replaced him.

Glazius posted:

Man, you were really pleased to see your Greymon bite it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM6R9recjS4

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 8, 2014

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 16

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Koorisch posted:

Also go to the place two screens west and one north from File City and get the third member of the Item Shop to get those drat Porta-potties already.
THANK YOU.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 17

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 18

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 19

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 20

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 21

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 23, 2014

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

you were talking about the kid in the Yoshi's Island Video you put out so the announcement being afterwards in a video I watched is very weird.
Hmmm... Are you sure?

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 22

PS thanks for the well wishes everyone! :)

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 23

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Guys Numemon gets the most broken attack in the game. You probably already killed him though
Are you suggesting that we should keep the numemon?

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

10/24/14
Part 24

e: Oh, I guess there's two of the same update now. I didn't have time to post it cause I had to go to sleep and then to work :(

Indeterminacy posted:

Oh god you guys never change :allears:
I didn't have any way to get a porta potty! :(

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 25

e: Whoops, looks like the last minute or so of the video is cut off. Will need to reupload. You're not missing much.

e2: Fixed and reuploaded.

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 5, 2014

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 26

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 27

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 16, 2015

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 28

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 29

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 30

The Door Frame posted:

I'm voting 16. Just long enough to make everyone excited about the progress right before he bites it
:smith: He's going to live forever, and I won't hear anything different.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 31

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I remember trying, in vain, to get Keith to read One Punch Man. But now there's going to be an anime so hey.

Also Kyle you should totally read One Punch Man.

Davinci posted:

One Punch Man should be require reading for everyone

Okay, I'll look into it. I've seen it advertised in the app I use but I never paid much attention to it.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 32

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 33

• Locked thread