Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Crackbone posted:

Typically though a good keyboard with mechanical switches will last longer than a rubber dome keyboard.

See also: Model M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

The Seasonic SS-760XP2 power supply is on sale for $99 at Newegg today and tomorrow, after using promo code EXLEMC2254 and the $20 mail-in rebate. It's fully modular, has a fanless/silent mode, and is 80 Plus Platinum rated.

According to this review, it is "basically a perfect power supply".

:argh: the cuntbags made it so that you can't use codes if you weren't subscribed to their newsletter when it went out, sneaky bastards.

e: quick, someone screenshot their email so I can maybe convince amazon to price match!

deimos fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 9, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Thanks, amazon said nope but it was worth a try.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

e: nevermind, for some reason I thought E3-1230v3 was an IB part.

Hrm, how does vPro work if you don't plug a video card into the system?

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 9, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

remote terminal I'd guess (vpro is a lot of crap but I'm guessing this is what you meant)

I guess the gist of my question is... will it boot without a graphics card at all so I can shove ESXi on it and make a lab out of it (without spending 4771 money).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Holy mother of god, did anyone else see the Recommended requirements for Watch Dogs PC?

Recommended:
OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.)
Processor: Eight core - Intel Core i7-3770 @3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 X8 @ 4 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 2 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti or AMD Radeon HD 7850
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers

Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series; AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200

Those are some weaksauce GPU requirements to go with that huge CPU requirement.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

That gx700 can do big radiators though

It has less radiator area than some mATX cases like the 350D or the Arc Mini R2.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Critique my lab-in-a-box:
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Amazon?)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Amazon?)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

(Anything without a price I already owned, the SSDs I bought when I saw them cheap.)

Gonna throw an Intel X3959 on it too.

(Ignore the hard drives, this box is my NAS 3.0 that's being augmented to VM lab duty.)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

You've got 8 SATA devices for 6 ports and no mention of how you're going to handle that. It'd also be a nice idea to add a case and power supply. :v:

Welp, didn't copy/paste right from the home lab thread, this is my NAS being turned into a VM box, it'll have a flashed M1015 (VT-d'd to my VM running the NAS).

The case will be my old Lian Li (PC-7something), the drives fit.

Aaaand it's got a 3 year old 750W Corsair PSU (I have a PSU replacement schedule in my calendar for it and my main PC's X-750).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Alereon posted:

Reminder: Memory is installed in matched pairs. Installing only one module will cut memory bandwidth in half, severely impacting system performance.

Reminder: No it doesn't unless you use iGPU.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

What's an inexpensive video card with 3+ outputs and good linux opengl support? Nvidia's linux drivers are a bit better supported than amd's, right?

Correct, 750 or 750Ti is probably what you want, inexpensive and fairly good performance, they're up there on the price/performance curve so it's the best deal.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

Speaking of that, is that the minimum level to run 3 screens 1080p with absolutely no games?

Anything, literally. With DisplayPort you could even chain them (if the monitors support chaining) so not even a port requirement in that case. For the average case if you have the ports you can display it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Hace posted:

Why not just use a 650?

650 is an older generation, not much, if any, savings, and slightly more power consumed than the 750.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

KillHour posted:

AMD and nVidia usually seesaw back and forth. Intel has consistently made AMD its bitch for the past 7-8 years (since Conroe/Wolfdale), so I wouldn't hold your breath.

NetBurst was Intel's worst idea ever.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Look for a mobo with an ALC 1150 chip. $200 worth of headphones is justification enough to upgrade from non 1150 mobo sound, $200 doesn't stretch nearly as far if we're talking speakers. It may turn out to be cheaper to get a dedicated sound card or external DAC and pair it with a cheaper mobo. For reference something like this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-sound-card-xonaressencestx

Is what I would call a good quality soundcard. Bear in mind this would be far superior to even the onboard in the Maximus mobos. That supreme FX card on maximus mobos is a very nice upgrade from regular crappy onboard but it isn't worth paying that much extra for the motherboard just for that, when you aren't going to use even 5% of the mobo features.

If you have $200 headphones you're better off with a USB DAC.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

And come on, it's called a poo poo stack.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Greenlight makes brand a nonissue for nV cards.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Fewer USB 3 ports and 6Gb/s ports are the worst parts of H81.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Oh my, the new Milos from Silverstone are neat for air cooling.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

Now, I'm looking at replacing my home file server, with an eye for very quiet running and as low power as feasibly possible. I also might hook it up to my TV in the future to serve as a HTPC. 1080p video playback is important, but I don't watch any of the more exotic 10-bit or whatever (No anime here).

If these are your requirements no video card is necessary, quicksync will take care of most videos and the CPU will take care of the rest.

quote:

Case: The case I've chosen is the Fractal Design NODE 304 Black, but I'm open to suggestions there. I chose it mostly based on Fractal's reputation for aiming for quiet designs. It claims to hold 6 3.5" drives. I'm not to that point yet, but I like the expandability. I've read the Anandtech review, and they seem to like it too, but I didn't go far researching others. I like the design and look of the Corsair Obsidian 250D (my main build is in a 350D), but only 2 3.5" drives doesn't seem like enough. Anandtech loved the BitFenix Prodigy, and it has 5 3.5" drive bays (which would be plenty), but I don't know anything about the brand. I think it's a little uglier than the Fractal, but acceptable.

Have you given any thought to the more "dedicated" NAS cases like the Silvestone DS380 or the Lian-Li PC-Q25, they're a little bit more expensive but very polished (the Q25 is a bit rough around the edges though). Otherwise I think the 304 is your best bet, although the Bitfenix cases are amazing for their price.

quote:

Motherboard: Not thrilled with my motherboard choices. When sorting by ASRock/ASUS/MSI, B85 mini-itx I only get 2 choices. Neither has an Intel LAN card. The ASRock has the Qualcomm Atheros Gigabit LAN, which I'm pretty sure I remember reading here has a lot of firmware problems. The MSI has a Realtek 8111G Gigabit LAN controller, which I know nothing about, except it's not Intel. Is that Realtek card ok? Am I looking at the wrong chipset for my needs here?

Realtek will be fine unless you want to use ESXi, and if you want to use ESXi then you have other issues which would make me strongly suggest bumping up to mATX on the whole build.

quote:

CPU: Going with the OP recommended Haswell i3-4130. It has a 54W TDP, which seems pretty low. I'm assuming this will be powerful enough. My only concern would be for 1080p video playback.

As an alternate option, I have a i5-4570 that I was intending on returning. It has an 84W TDP. Opinions?

Keep in mind that the 84W TDP is the MAX it will consume, not a baseline. It gives you a very good headroom to work with in terms of processing power while idling at similar power consumption. You can configure how aggressive this is at the OS level, on linux this can be tweaked a lot and it's something you have to pay attention to if you get video stuttering.

quote:

Cooler: The Anandtech review uses a SilverStone Nitrogon NT07-1156 but they suggest using a tower cooler. Having just installed a 212 Evo in a case, is that really what they mean by a tower cooler? Seems hard to believe that would fit in a tiny case. PCPartpicker doesn't complain though.

You're not overclocking, I'd use a stock cooler, it will be quieter than 4+ HDDs in most non-stress scenarios (and most stress scenarios for a NAS will make the HDDs spin like crazy too).

quote:

Video: Will onboard video be enough for this? I'm assuming so. I would guess people would recommend a 750 Ti otherwise, but if I can avoid that, I would.

It will do. And you'll need that PCIe slot for an M1015 when you become one of us.

quote:

Power Supply: I'm using the SeaSonic 300ET linked in the OP, but it's not modular. In this case that seems like a problem. It seems like crazy overkill, but Seasonic's G 450 is modular (and as a byproduct, steps up to Gold from Bronze). Is there a cheaper, lower power, but still quality modular PSU people know of? I mean, PCPartpicker estimates my power at 118W. Even with a 750 Ti (which is the most powerful GPU I can imagine putting into this box), it's still only 178W.

A good thing to keep in mind when looking at power supplies for NAS and other systems that are going to be on 24/7 is that gold will offer you a tiny bit more efficiency and that will add up in savings. As for what is best for ITX systems I would argue that semi-modular is the best option, but on the other hand if the case has enough room modular and non-modular doesn't matter as much, keep in mind that a modular design makes the PSU a few mm longer, and that can be a bitch to work with.

If you plan on expanding the amount of hard drives I would suggest going with the SSR-450RM to give you more starting headroom, not only that but it's the best type of design, semi modular.

quote:

I have 8 gb of thread recommended RAM, a 3TB WD red, and a 64gb SSD that I'm going to reuse as a system drive. I know the 64gb is probably pretty slow at this point, but I have it already, and it should be fast enough.

Make sure you secure erase the SSD before you use it to give it a fresh start. The OS drive on a NAS doesn't even have to be fast, I run mine on a USB but you have the SSD and why not.

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 20, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

This should be a crime:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

nene. posted:

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294966654&Ntk=all Does this keep my location? If not it's TX - Dallas Metroplex/Richardson up at the top you can select it.

Doesn't look like Micro Center has any XFX or Seasonic, and everything recommended from Corsair and Antec are for much higher wattage than I need :(

http://www.microcenter.com/product/383860/High_Current_Gamer_520_Watt_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply

That one works too, it's manufactured by Delta and it's pretty amazing internals.

The most passable cheap power supply on that list is the EVGA Bronze line:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/416677/500B_500_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply

edit: The EVGA I would replace after 3 years for sure, Teapos are passable at best as PSU caps.

deimos fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 24, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

nene. posted:

Sorry I don't know a lot about computer stuff so should I make sure to get an Intel? I just know I'll want an internal wifi adaptor.

Yes, you want an Intel, and for sure you want something with an antenna on an extension like the recommended Centrino adapter. And it's barely a few bucks above the TP-Link you're getting.

I mean TP-Link isn't horrid (they make mostly reference stuff, their QA is meh but their customer service isn't bad from my experience), but Intel makes rock solid stuff.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

You don't need 16gigs of ram for gaming. For a similar price to what you're paying you could get a better quality PSU in the 450 to 500w range.

I was under the impression that the PSU he has is actually fairly good. That being said, for a hundred clams you can pick up some really good SS PSUs.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

SlayVus posted:

This is just me, but platters today are pretty great drives unlike 4 or 5 years ago. A 3TB WD Green drive I bought does a an average of 133 MBps read speeds and 126 MBps writes. The 500GB WD Blacks I replaced only did ~71 MBps reads.

Obviously though, a SSD for an OS drive is great. Thankfully though, spinners are much better drives than they were.

What are seek times Alex?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

Yes but it is just traditional streaming, big performance loss and all. You've always been able to stream on any graphics setup, so it is nothing fancy. Shadowplay is fancy due to the onboard h.264 encoder on Nvidia GPUs hence the performance loss being low enough that it can run all the time, which is a big bonus for shadowplay (something cool happened and you weren't recording? push one button and it's saved!).

Encoding has nothing to do with why shadowplay is amazing.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Olivil posted:

Well, if by "never plan to SLI/CF" you also mean to never expand the system later on (Wi-Fi, more ports, ...) then no, there's no real downside.

This is bad advice on every account.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

If anyone wants a previous-gen ASUS P8Z77-V LX motherboard with 3570K for $150 + shipping (probably $20 bux) for both PM me or reply here. I'll throw in a Haswell stock cooler with the 3570 but you should just get a cooler master.

It hasn't been abused or overclocked heavily (it had a very modest 4GHz overclock without any voltage tomfoolery).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

inkblottime posted:

No more noisy than the eight fan monster I built last year that currently sits next to my feet.

Seriously, though, the RoG laptop has a bad fan barring right now that sounds like a baseball card in a bicycle spoke. The little itx case won't bother us a bit. And if it does, I'll buy some Noctua fans. But I doubt it.

Also, you sold me on the MSI card. Thanks!

You can fit any recent reference nV card in a Silverstone ML07 which is super tiny. I think Silverstone fiddled with Lord Bude when he was a kid because he hates them.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Tobaccrow posted:

Motherboard manual's all "make sure all the voltage and grounds match to prevent damage" and that seems to be true except there's a ground pin on the motherboard where it's marked "ID" on the cable. Dunno what that means. Don't know what any of the pins that aren't voltage/ground mean either.

The 10 pin on the motherboard diagram is confusing because "ID" is a channel used to differentiate a host from a device, if the ID is grounded then it's a host, otherwise it's a device, but everything is good, the case cable pinout is dumb because it's looking top down from where the cables go instead of looking at the bottom of the connector itself, so it mirrors weirdly.

edit: not mislabeled, confusedly labeled.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 8, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Draw a line down the center of the heatspreader and clamp down your cooler.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616.html

Basically choice isn't that significant. Some are better than others but are more challenging to apply.

I'd add that as long as there is only a single unconnected blob everything will be fine, if you do circles or multiple blobs you invite air bubbles.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

smelly cabin filter posted:

Will my current psu be enough if I upgrade to a GTX770?

This is my current setup

PSU: Seasonic S12 500w
CPU: i5-4670K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
Motherboard: MSI Z87M GAMING
Memory: Corsair 8GB
GPU: Asus Radeon 6870 1gb
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250
HDD: Old rear end samsung 1tb
Case: Aerocool DS Cube

Yes.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Kontradaz posted:

I have an i3 2105 with a 560 ti. I'm planning on doing an upgrade to a GTX 760 and was wondering whether my CPU will bottleneck the new GPU. I already think it's doing a round on my current GPU because Borderlands 2 runs like poo poo for some unknown reason, but other games seem OK.

Borderlands 2 can be a PhysX hog if you have it enabled it (even at the lowest settings) will eat at your minimum FPS.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

DevCore posted:

Also an old man with a 7 year old Frankenstein PC dropping in.
(Bought a small Dell, immediately threw in a Radeon HD 7xxx card, and a 1TB HD for storage, later added a SSD and a new PSU when the original one croaked)

:words:

Read the OP.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

That being said, take my Audio advice with a grain of sanity, I've spent more on my 2.1 system + DAC than probably any 3 or 4 of the typical people who post here have spent on their entire PCs put together; and whilst I try to keep my audiophilia in check, it sometimes creeps through.

:respek: KRK Monitors and Yamaha sub here. And that's just the speakers, I don't want to account for my cans and amps.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

But when I see the inside it's like, oh it's like mine but black. (and can support 2x wide radiators)

Err, it's like yours but done right, removable drive trays make it already better than the 300 but then you add proper filters to the intakes, good cable routing options, grommets, etc.

But then you add the fact that the R4 gives you a gigantic leap foward in both acoustics and airflow and it's a no brainer.

Josh Lyman posted:

The R4 came out over a year after the Three Hundred Two, so you'd expect it to be more refined. Rumor is that an R5 is coming out soon, maybe with a slightly longer case since the R4 can't really accommodate R9 video cards unless you remove the upper drive cage.

Pretty sure they came out 6 months or so apart. And to be frank, who needs more than 3 HDDs 2 SSDs and 2 Optical drive bays on a case with an R9?

edit: Also I checked and the Asus custom cooled 290X fits with the drive trays. :shrug:

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 14, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I'd recommend a prodigy for a "portable build" it's a friendlier Mini-ITX build platform.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Dohaeris posted:

Yeah that one does look nice, why friendlier though?

It's cheaper and it's generally roomier and more comfortable to work with. Mini ITX can be a rat bastard to work with, Factory^2 has liquid cooled a CPU and GPU on his. with some room to spare.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

J-udy posted:

Boss gave me a unique challenge. Trying to build a small server, to host 3-5 virtual machines, under $500.

We're building a big SOA thing over here, and want to run local copies of the services that some of the other teams are working on (and they're all over the place, oregon, uk, nepal...) The virtual machines will each be running a web server and database. I'm assuming that my priorities are #1 plenty of ram, and #2 a CPU capable of running them. But I don't know how much I can do under $500. Thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($93.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: FSP Group 300W 80+ Certified Micro ATX Power Supply ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $496.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-16 10:34 EDT-0400)

Very low cost VM servers are better off going AMD IMHO, this is one place where extra cores will rule, make sure you get a PCI-Express Intel adapter off ebay or you'll be fighting driver hell for days.

Also for dev work where quick turnaround is king I'd seriously consider a 240GB Intel SSD to avoid 1-2 minute boot times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

J-udy posted:

I don't know what you mean by this. Adapter for what? The PCI-E port on the motherboard to connect to something else?

Whoops, I ate "ethernet" off PCI-Express Intel ethernet adapter.

• Locked thread