Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
You need this thread buddy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494

Hace posted:

I really think you should get a B85-chipset at the very least, but that's just me I guess.

This for example would be perfect: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D12OAVE/?tag=pcpapi-20

I moved from Mini ITX to Micro ATX and use this board with an i5 4570. It is good board. I like it. You make good recommendation.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I just ordered this build

I think moving to the MSI board, changing the case out for a Cooler Master N200 ($49.99) then changing the video card to a 750 Ti ($149.99) would be great. It would put you at $556.10 but the motherboard and video card would both be better for you in the long run.

1997 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Shyfted One posted:

Showed the build to a friend and he asked me why I'm getting a micro ATX board instead of full size. I have no idea either as I'm just following the recommendations from the OP. Is there any reason to want a full sized board? I feel like the micro has everything I need.

There really isn't a reason and it probably does have everything you need. Buying ATX just doesn't make a lot of sense anymore for most people. Your build looks solid.

Edit: Except for your 760. Get an EVGA card with an ACX cooler or something else with a customer cooler, they will be significantly quieter.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Degullion posted:

Something I needed to hear. A lot I can save by changing the Mobo architecture.

If you tell us what you want to do with the machine then you will get much better and more specific advice.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Ziploc posted:

Work game me a free i5 Dell box. But it's one of those thin case things. Searching hardware sites for 'low profile' cards gives me full width cards.

What's the name for what I'm looking for? I'm looking for cheap performance for a entertainment center box that will play the odd couch/indie game.

Suggestions?

This low-profile 750Ti is pretty much what you want.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
The guys in this thread spend a lot of time making sure people make sensible decisions and reversing all the bad info their friend Travis tells them. When someone comes in and says the opposite of that, they get pretty annoyed.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
If I wanted to get better performance at 1440p what should I upgrade to? I'm using a 760 right now and have to either play at 1080p or turn down a bunch of settings to play at 1440p. I just moved from mini ITX to micro ATX and went 1440p at the same time.

If anyone is interested in a barely used 3570k and / or a z77 ITX board I will be listing them on SA Mart probably tomorrow. And I'm sure I'll sell the 760 too.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Ignoarints posted:

What games are the worst?

Simple answer is another 760 if you have a slot. Which amounts to something like a 780ti in performance.

Otherwise a 780 is probably what you're looking for, although a 770 is surprisingly good to me. There is probably good AMD stuff here but I don't know enough to compare these yet

I have the MSI B85M-G43 board from the OP which I think supports Crossfire and not SLI. I think I'd rather keep a single card solution anyway.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I'm normally a Mac guy, but I have 8.1 on my gaming PC and it is fine. Install Start 8 or something else and it's almost the same as 7, barring visual changes. Even without a traditional start menu I had no problem using the new Metro start after a few days. Update 1 sort of helps too.

The thread recommends 8.1 for a reason.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
It finally happened. My Crucial M4 I bought in September 2012 bit the dust. Doesn't show up in BIOS, but I'm sure if I let it sit forever there it might show up. I have an older Intel 320 80GB drive to use in its place. Nothing really important was on there, just 8.1 and some apps so I'm not really at a loss here. All my real data is on other drives. I went to start an RMA on Crucial's website but they want me to call them to to tell them "how it's been used." Whatever the gently caress that even means. If they give me one of their newer, crappier drives I'll probably sell it and get an EVO.

Moral of the story is, just buy an EVO, y'all.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
You should read the OP. You're wasting money on your CPU, RAM, and $250-300 motherboard.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
The "goons will like this" build in the OP is the smartest build you can get for your money. You'd have a hard time getting anyone to suggest otherwise if you want to do "hardcore gaming" (which means nothing and that build will do 95% of it at 1080p). If you gave more information that might change. Save yourself 200-300 bucks and go with that.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Hace posted:

There's some thought that an i7 is going to help "futureproof" your machine since the new consoles uses 8-core CPUs, but there still(!) isn't any proof of this manifesting in any significant way. And with DX12 looking to reduce CPU overhead, getting a $300+ CPU just doesn't make a lot of sense.

That doesn't mean you can't spend a little extra on your machine, you just have to know where to put it:

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($66.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($259.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1100.90

Replace the 500 GB EVO with a 250GB and 1 TB WD and this is a build I could get behind. Except maybe the motherboard, seems a little pricey.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

SSNeoman posted:

I see. Thank you for this.
Is there any difference between the video card I had and the one you got? Other than the price? I never bought MSI hardware before.

It's quieter and cheaper.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7950-review-benchmark,3207-9.html

First google result for "7950 peak wattage"

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I know nothing about that power supply but it sounds sketchy and I don't trust it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

HalloKitty posted:

In fairness, FSP means Fortron/Source Power, and they're not a bad PSU manufacturer.

This is certainly no sketchy fire hazard, but it's not top tier either.

Am I blind? I can't see anything in that picture that indicates it's from FSP.

• Locked thread