Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Howard Phillips posted:

Gaming keyboards worth the price tag?

I like tactile feedback as much as the next guy but $120.00 for a keyboard seems a little excessive when I could spend the extra money on going from a GTX 760 to a 770.

The Corsair Vengeance K70 has some pretty awesome red backlighting but other than that wtf do I need it for?

You can get a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (Blue/Brown/Red switches) for $80. They're considered very good quality. Also, it's not so much about gaming keyboards (unless you're one of those hardcore MMORPG player that NEED 20 dedicated macro buttons) but mechanical ones. Features like backlight are nice if that's the kind of thing you're looking for, but the main appeal on expensive keyboards is the mechanical switches, a good degree of NKR, and overall construction quality.

If you want to know more you can check out the keyboard megathread.

Also, the monitor(s), sound setup, mouse and keyboard are the parts of your computer you interact the most with (and will generally outlive any internal component), so it makes sense to spend more on them for maximum comfort and enjoyment even if it comes at the expense of a few extra fps on the latest games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Ddraig posted:

Isn't Corsair a waste of money? I was always under the impression that RAM is RAM and stuff like VENGEANCE is just a marketing ploy?

In theory it's a safer pick for overclocking. In practice, yes, as long as specs are the same then RAM is RAM.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

The Duggler posted:

If I never plan to SLI/CF or any meaningful OC, does going with an mATX have any major downsides?

No. In fact, you can do all of those things on mATX too - going full ATX is only actually required for very specific hardware configurations.

• Locked thread