Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Still supporting SLI more :colbert: but all in all, sweet OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

novak posted:

Can I get an opinion on my new build? The rig is going to be used only for gaming, not planning on overclocking. HDD + OS and eveverything else missing will be recycled from an older machine. Case is going to be a Fractal Design R4.

It looks fine but do you need hyperthreading? I7 xeons seem to be a good idea if you need an i7 but I imagine a 4570 is still cheaper (and slightly faster)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Ocular posted:

Hi guys, just wanted to say thank you for such a greatly informative thread. My current PC has finally thrown in the towel after a number of years, and lately I've been itching to upgrade. My current PC started shutting off randomly a few weeks ago, and the frequency of the shutdowns became much more common until it would stay on for maybe 2-3 hours before just shutting off completely. Most of the time after a shutdown it would not even POST for a while. Eventually I was able to have it boot up successfully, consistently, however it's now just locking up after 3-5 minutes in Windows, Safe mode, BIOS, whatever. Luckily, I've run into a good chunk of cash and have decided to take the plunge on a new build. This current PC is simply a nightmare at this point, and so far out of date.

My general uses for this build will primarily be heavy gaming and streaming video at 1920x1200 with the liklihood of a secondary monitor at some point. I don't intend to increase the resolution beyond 1920x1200, if I do acquire a secondary monitor it would just be for general use while in a game and such. Please forgive my overall ignorance, I've been out of this game for a long time.

Unfortunately I have had poor experiences ordering hardware online, and have opted to simply purchase all my components directly through my local Canada Computers. The price is generally the same, with the exception of a few sales here and there.

Simply put, at 1920x1200 I'm aiming for top end performance with all/most new releases, to be more specific, I'll be playing a lot of Arma 2 and 3, as well as DayZ Standalone and Planetside 2, amongst other fairly graphically/CPU intensive games. I'm hoping to build a system that will last me a fair while, although I fully acknowledge that future proofing is impossible. I just want a system that will keep my rear end covered for the next fair while, essentially. I'd certainly love to max out Arma and DayZ with no issues, initially, but of course I am looking to perform well in new releases coming up. My goal is to just run everything more or less totally maxed out with no issues, if possible.

My build is based mainly off the OP with any changes just to accommodate the fact that I am buying locally. The build I have thrown together quickly is as follows. Any advice is greatly appreciated. All components are available at my local Canada Computers immediately.

I intend to do some overclocking, but I'm not sure what aftermarket cooler I should be aiming for, for the CPU, would the stock cooler be ample enough for moderate overclocking of this chip?

I am able to salvage my 800gb of internal storage, along with my 2TB external drive. I really want this SSD however I am contemplating dropping the SSD from this build for the time being just to bring the initial costs down, then in a short while I would order it online as locally it appears relatively pricey, and online I can save something like $50. It's not a huge deal or anything. I've never used an SSD, so if they are as amazing as they seem I might just throw caution to the wind and spend the cash on it.

My budget is strange, realistically I have a budget of around $1500, but I'd prefer not to spend all of it. This build along with the SSD comes to roughly $1200 locally, which is a comfortable spot for me, so I am prepared to take the plunge. I`d just certainly appreciate a sanity check with this build. Thanks again!

One other thing, I couldn`t help but be tempted by an i7-4770K and GTX 770; looking over the price to performance ratio it really doesn`t seem worth it. For heavy gaming at 1920x1200 would I be perfectly set with the build I put together or is there really any reason I should even be considering the 4770K and GTX 770? Thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate it. Sorry for rambling.

SSD's kick rear end for your OS, and loading times in some games. This kind of sounds trivial until you actually own one. It's hard not to recommend one to anybody if they have the money for it.

The jump from 4670k to 4770k is discussed a lot, but for gaming it simply it isn't worth it. The jump from 760 to 770 is significant enough to justify the cost. Planetside 2 is in my experience almost entirely CPU limited (to clarify, not improved enough by hyperthreading to buy an i7 though). Arma 3 is just intense overall. I highly recommend considering a 770 for Arma alone

http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page3.html

(oh hey look, a very rare 660ti SLI benchmark hooray)

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 8, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I currently have a computer that is mostly ~3 years old with a nicely overclocked 2500k. I don't see much point to replacing the CPU considering all the other things that would need to be replaced and the minimal improvement over a 4.6ghz Sandy Bridge. I do have a 2gb 7850 that doesn't quite cut it for the 1440p monitors I am using. I am thinking about the options I have for replacing the graphics card.

The main problem I have is the power supply in this computer is a 5 year old Seasonic 430W. First of all it hits the 5 year warranty expiration next week, so I'm starting to worry about it lasting, but also I am not sure if it could even handle a ~230W GPU on top of what is probably ~130-140W for the overclocked processor in addition to all of the hard drives and random other crap in the system. Is it time for a new power supply?

Also, I don't think this is the solution, but I have also considered adding a second 7850, since it seems to have relatively comparable performance to a 770, maybe a little better excluding any Crossfire issues (which I am not that familiar with, is it still terrible?) and would be probably $250 cheaper, $200 if I managed to sell the 7850, and $150 cheaper than a 760 which it significantly outperforms.

My only exposure to crossfire was two 7870's and it ran like poo poo. That was years ago though. It is probably time for a new power supply however, and definitely so if you plan another video card

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Caddrel posted:

Someone on craigslist is selling this build for $600, whereas the components come out to ~$700. He built it a few months ago.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jpanside/saved/3TwI

It's almost the same as what I spec'ed out for myself a few days ago with a i5 4570. The only sketchy thing I see is that the PSU is a Corsair CX series which the OP says to avoid.

The main difference is that the GPU is a GTX 750Ti, whereas I would have bought a GTX 760. My use case will be playing fairly intensive FPS games (Battlefield, Arma, etc.) on a 1080p monitor. I don't care so much about 100% max settings, but I would like the games to look nice. More importantly I want to still be able to play games that come out within the next 3 years.

Is the 750 Ti going to be a significant downgrade over the 760 for my case?

I'd recommend a 760. But, if you really are saving money there is no reason you can't part out what you don't want. If you haven't already just try and knock off a little more to make it worth your time.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
There's good stuff on craigslist, people tend to move down greatly on complete computers (or not at all and be 130% of component price when new). I've gotten quite a bit on craigslist, but I've also NOT gotten a lot of it too.

I like CL for electronics but you have to wade through an ocean of poo poo. If you stick it out I can promise you'll get a good deal though.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

There is no scenario where a gaming computer should have a Xeon processor in it. Those are for servers and workstations.

There are still a few questions, however a xeon 1230 or 1240 v3 (etc) is just an i7 haswell with a few extras like ECC support, but no igpu. And it's cheaper. If you aren't going to overclock but need (or want..) hyperthreading it might be a better choice. A lot of motherboards support it, like that one. I actually haven't come across one that doesn't but I don't really look out for it either.

But my concern would be more of does a person really need hyperthreading or not.

It also uses (probably trivial) 5% less wattage, I'm guessing that accounts for the igpu

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 9, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Personally for me the improved picture quality of an IPS trumps the improved frame rate of 130hz any day, unless you're a pro gamer. You will need a 770 at least or maybe a 780 to be consistently hitting 120 fps at max details. Our gpu recommendations all assume 60hz monitor.

I'd probably even say 780+ for max settings on most modern games. I'd say 120 fps is downright rare even (at max settings). AA is a big contributor though.

But that might not might mean 80 or 90 fps isn't pretty awesome compared to 60 fps, but I wouldn't know. My goal this year is to get a qnix (or equivalent) and run 1440p at 80 or so fps at max settings, as cheap as possible. Really I just want a 27" 1440p but I know the moment I overclock it the bug will strike again. My tentative plan is two 770's. For chemondelay I'm not sure 120 fps is a super realistic goal for a reasonably priced single GPU, at least right now. At least without performance tradeoffs that wouldn't be worth it.

Honestly a solid, actual 60 fps that never dips, drops, or stutters is pretty drat awesome.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 9, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Elliptical Dick posted:

So, in the previous thread I posted this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3arT8

That was vetted, approved and all that. But I have had a significant budget upgrade. I've gone from approx 1000 bucks to about 1600. In the previous thread I had asked for a build that could comfortably run civ5. At this point I might broaden my scope a bit with more higher end games and possibly photo editing. Could I just do with picking a nicer GPU and a larger SSD or do I need to redo the entire build? Do I even need to spend that money? Thanks for your input.

Video card is an easy one for games. You can probably spend half of your new budget on this without wasting money. 770 or 280x, etc

The rest is more up to you. Do you want to overclock? This will have a bearing on video editing, but so would hyperthreading. Overclocking say a 4670k would require a z87 motherboard, or you could go i7-4770 non-k* for hyperthreading. An overclocked 4670k would be better for some games over an i7-4770 non k. At the very least you could up it to a 4670 non k if the price difference isn't much.

Perhaps with your new video card choice you can justify a cheap 1440p, like a qnix.

*or xeon 1230/1240 v3 variant, although jury is still out on cheaper motherboards

Edit: I'd like to add what I'd personally do even though I wasn't going to originally because its pretty much at odds with the first build, but maybe it would interest you.

- Double the motherboard budget for a z87 w/ wireless, SLI, good power management (~+$80 or maybe a little more) (Dropping wireless adapter -$36)
- $60-$70 cooler depending on what fits in that case
- Price match Microcenter on the 4570 to get a 4670k for the same price (ie. staples.com)
- Up it to 650W or so, like a Capstone, or whatever is on sale and good. Probably +$15
- Replace video card with 2x GTX 760's :c00l: +$300

This should come out to around $420-$440 more depending on motherboard. Now, however, you will have some serious GPU power that will on a lot of games will not utilize fully at 1080p (at least, definitely not fps-wise). I'd pocket the rest to pick up a 1440p qnix or equivalent as soon as possible. I'd overclock everything fully (and I would delid)

:siren: This is just what I'd do personally if I wanted matx based on the original build :siren:. As I said in the original post, simply going 770/280x will be more than enough for a lot of people. This is simply the most cost effective manner I can imagine to using the new budget, while keeping as much the same format as possible. What I posted first is probably more applicable.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 9, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

+

+

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

novak posted:

Yeah from what I've been reading a 1230v3 might not actually be that bad of a choice for a home PC, since it is actually just a 4770 without the IGPU. No need for hyper-threading, I just figured it'd be a better option since the rig wont necessarily be overclocked and going with the Xenon would make for a cheaper motherboard/CPU combo.

Anyway, here's an alternate build w/ a 4670K.

Thoughts? The Fractal R4 case will be ordered locally.

If you don't actually need hyperthreading, that will kick the other build's rear end when you overclock. But nobody likes Crucial SSD's for the most part. The m500 is specifically mentioned as avoid in the SSD thread. Samsung 840 evo is standard go-to good, but there are others if there is availability issues. If you don't overclock (which is what the other build suggested) non-k and a different chipset can save you money.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Black Dynamite posted:

I have an Intel 530 240Gb SSD, an old NVIDIA GTX 650, 8gb 1600 RAM, and an i7 4770k.

I plan on getting a new video card when Nvidia's 800 series cards are out.

I was thinking maybe this, but read a review that said it didn't work well on some guy's ASUS.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4668506&sku=C13-2510

That much power is for at least 2x power hungry video cards + overclocked CPU and all the normal stuff. Power is power, don't worry about compatibility between brands, just worry about quality and if it has the connectors you want. The only compatibility thing with Haswells is supporting sleep mode or not.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Black Dynamite posted:

Yeah, I've overclocked my CPU already and haven't ruled out running two high-end Nvidia's in the future for 4-8k resolution.

Nice, the seasonic linked earlier is better then

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Do you know if the 3D rendering software you want to use utilizes hyperthreading (like actually uses it) and/or fills 16GB of RAM?

I have zero experience with it but once you look into 3d rendering its a totally new set of rules for hardware. People can consistently use more than 16gb with real actual 3d rendering work (not just benchmarks). The argument tends to be whether 32 gb is worth it or not, some people scrap everything and get what they need for 64. Hypertheading nets you about 20-30% improvement in speed with 3d rendering benchmarks. That's about all I know though

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Very helpful thanks. Maybe if I can squeeze 32 it would be good since I am under budget.

Any other issues with the build?

Thanks!

I don't remember details, but I'm pretty sure that was the case for people who did it for a living, which I'm not saying you don't but there is probably a wide range in workloads. That said, most people have 16 gb and are happy with it.

But no the build looks good. I actually didn't even know there was a 4771. In case 32gb is a total waste, you can always pick up 16* more gb later.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

KillHour posted:

As a few people mentioned earlier, if you don't need the IGP, the E3-1240v3 is $30 cheaper (although 100mhz slower). The E3-1230v3 is $60 cheaper (200mhz slower).

You probably almost certainly won't notice the 100/200 mhz drop. If you did, it would be worth it to go up to the i7-4770k for an extra :20bux:

I wonder if it will be a go to i7 recommendation now.

Come to find out they used to cost almost exactly the same as their i5 counterpart :o. Practically a no brainer back then all else equal

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65516,65732

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Woops I always get microcenter prices for I5's and I7's in my head. They don't seem to sell v3 xeons unfortunately. To be fair, it's still a solid $50 increase from Newegg but it sure helps for people who want hyper threading but not a k model.

Considering how intel prices stuff I'm pretty surprised its actually lower in cost than the i7 (although it makes perfect sense in reality). People probably wouldn't think twice if it cost more though

deimos posted:

e: nevermind, for some reason I thought E3-1230v3 was an IB part.

Hrm, how does vPro work if you don't plug a video card into the system?

remote terminal I'd guess (vpro is a lot of crap but I'm guessing this is what you meant)

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 9, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

we aren't in the habit of recommending leet gamer crap that looks like it was designed by an acid tripping toddler and has crazy pants fan configurations , sorry.

look at the recommendations we already have. Do you see a trend emerging?

Was expecting the worst but honestly that gx700 doesn't look so bad if you like a pseudo "military" color scheme. I've seen waaaaaay riced out poo poo happily bought by people in the last thread. But I much prefer a black rectangle. I got owned for admitting liking the antec "300 two" though, even though I still stand by it for the price.

That gx700 can do big radiators though

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 10, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

It has less radiator area than some mATX cases like the 350D or the Arc Mini R2.

as opposed to the three hundred two*** I very much forgot to say

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

ShaneB posted:

It's so... perfect....

thread success

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Satire Forum Mom posted:

I'm pulling the trigger on a build I posted in the last thread, but I'm debating adding a graphics card to play some games. Specifically, the EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti. This is fine with my SeaSonic 300W power supply, right? I'm not overclocking anything, if that matters.

Also, how much of a pain is it that the power supply isn't modular? Is it worth getting something way more powerful and expensive? I'm leaning toward no, but I just wanted an informed opinion.

Will work fine (yes overclocking the cpu would matter you wouldn't have a lot of headroom with 300w)

750ti is incredibly power efficient, last test I saw was 68 whole watts. A quality 300 like yours will be fine. Don't be afraid to overclock your 750ti though

I don't have a modular power supply because it wasn't worth paying money for me. But I have an mid size case. I'm sure there is value in it for a matx, but people have survived a long time without them. If you don't want to spring for one just wrap up the excess cables nice and tight and rubber band them close to the PSU. However they are becoming so common that sometimes good sale PSU's will be modular anyways.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 10, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Hace posted:

Not to nitpick, but I think that Devil's Canyon is only supposed to run on 9-series chipsets.

I looked into this before and I saw places say that, and then other places say the opposite, and others still say that only k-series will be required to run on 9 series but the non-k will run on 8 series. I guess we'll find out soon

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Misandu posted:

Does anyone have a quick rundown on how they've gotten Staples to match Micro Center's price on a CPU? I thought I saved the post about it from the last thread but I don't seem to be able to find it now.

Staples.com and click the live chat button above the price. Its the only confirmed way I've ever seen here

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

victorisham posted:

I'm going to have a confirmed job for this summer (yay!) so I've started planning out tentative parts I want to buy when I've got the money saved. I just had one question that could save me a huge chunk of money -- I bought the Windows 8 upgrade for $15 when they were still running the promotion, digitally. Would I be able to use that same license on a new computer if I transferred all my old stuff over to it (instead of buying a whole new copy)?

I'm seeing stuff about product keys with some googling but because it's a digital version I'm not sure how to find mine.

Depends if it was originally an OEM license or not. OEM is bound to the motherboard. I believe this is the case still...

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Hace posted:

With Windows 8 you aren't bound to the motherboard. Dunno if that still applies since he upgraded TO Win8 from Win7, but it can't hurt to try.

Sweet, that was so annoying before

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

You have nothing worth salvaging, (except maybe a dvd drive if you have one) but it's going to be hard to fit a new monitor in your budget, so I suggest keeping your old one for now, and planning your build on the assumption that you'll get a new 1080p screen somewhere down the line when you can afford it. By all means do use your free SSD. It's probably not quite as good as our recommended Samsung 840EVO, but you shouldn't look a gift Drive in the SATA port:rimshot:.

As for that digital storm thing: Aside from paying far too much, they screw you with a lovely CX series PSU, and a really barebones cheapo motherboard, not to mention a not particularly great, overly blingy case.

Start with something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($229.20 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $718.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-11 00:08 EDT-0400)

From here, you need an operating system, and a wireless adapter if you want wireless, and a dvd drive if you don't already have one and you want one. A $30 Hyper 212evo would cut noise down, but we're already skirting the very edge of your budget. If you are certain you want to keep your current monitor for the life of this PC, then you can save money with a gtx750ti instead of the 760.

Oviously add your new SSD as the operating system/programs/games drive.

Yeah those digital storm guys suck. Well... good for them for making money screwing parts together and making a pretty website I guess. But reference cards, random memory, random hdd, bottom of the barrel motherboards, cheap power supplies, all at a premium. Just staying at Newegg and adding up stuff their $700 comes out to $580 ... but it'd be less if shopped around, etc, and that's with ram with a brand, evga instead of nvidia, WD blue. Could be worse though. Their "top" one is about $280 over in components (and still with the lovely h81)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Crackbone posted:

It's all basically bullshit. RAM speed (1333, 1600), doesn't matter as much as you'd think as long as it's fast enough for the system you're using, and everything else (timings, CAS, # of sticks) has no appreciable effect. RAM is a commodity; buy the cheapest poo poo you can find with the right voltage/speed.

As much as I try and overclock all my poo poo, my ram is still stock. I probably will... but my expectations are about zero.

Spielmeister posted:

Speaking of that site, I wonder if anyone actually goes for the $800 gloss finishes or the $500-$1000+ liquid cooling options they have available for their other models? :signings:

:lol: I never went further than looking at their pre builds, really don't want to.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Alright, so I'm building a new PC and wanted to stay around $1500 CDN. I already have a nice case so here's the rest:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.80 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($87.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($85.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($320.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($569.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1559.97
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-11 12:03 EDT-0400)

I just picked parts with high reviews, I don't really know much about this stuff. My monitor is 1920x1200 resolution, and I'd game on one monitor only. I also have two other 1TB hard drives I'll be tossing in for more storage. Suggestions?

Nice, I'd say the cooler is overkill since you can't overclock. Don't know much about asus power supplies. Ratings of power supplies are almost always high despite quality, you have to find reviews from people who actually know what's what. That's why it's easier just recommend known good ones (ie. seasonic), not to say that one is bad though since PSU internals can be wildly different between different models in the same brand. 620 is also too much, 500 is fine

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Hace posted:

A GTX 780 is really only reccomended for 1440p resoultions, for 1080p/1200p you should just step down to a 760 or a 770.

I generally agree, but it depends a little on what he wants to play. Although I have no issue with people going a little overkill with GPU, 780 is my fuzzy limit before I outright think its too much for 1080p. It can make a difference for games like arma and the like. I believe its around 80 or so fps for max settings in BF4 which is more than 60 hz of course, but it would prevent things like frame dips which frankly are very noticeable.

It's not whatever the % difference better relative to cost of a 770, but it can make a real difference at 1080p depending on what you play. This is different than say a 780ti, which between a 780 and a 780ti the "improvement" would probably be all be unnoticeable at that resolution.

edit: this is all just my opinion though, I've never owned a 780 or a 780ti, just based off benchmarks

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 11, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Hace posted:

http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page3.html

Look at the jump from a 760 to a 770, then the jump from a 770 to a 780. Does that really seem worth the extra $170?

The main recommendation for 1080p is a 760 or a 270X is because they have excellent performance in most games, while also being available for $250 or less on average. In my eyes it's a huge waste to be spending twice as much just so you can turn the AA up a little bit higher in a few games, but I suppose that's just my opinion as well.

Please do not buy $500 graphics cards for sub-1440p resolutions, folks.

Heh that's the same benchmark I immediately though of. And to me, it kind of is worth it (if you play something like this). 760-770 is 11 fps and 770 to 780 is 9, at the cost of double the premium for the difference (~$80 vs $170). Personally I wouldn't get a 780 but if I only wanted one card I could see it. I would call getting a 780ti a huge waste for 1080p, while a 780 would be more of paying out the rear end for 60 fps. I also highly dislike when the frames drop below 60 fps for a first person shooter. I would get in the 50's with a single card for BF4 and after I SLI'd (after all said and done) I got a constant 60 under every circumstance. In reality it was a huge waste of GPU power since it would push over 120 fps. Having all that overhead prevented fps fluctuations that I really despise though.

I guess as long as you make the decision knowing what you're getting into is all that matters. I completely see where you're coming from.

On the other hand I only recommend a 760 due to budget

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

C. E. Croix posted:

So my premade Dell is almost staring down a decade, and with XP support ended, I should finally get around to building a PC for the first time. I'm using the value system as base, as I would like to keep it under $900, and I'm looking to game at an acceptable performance.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($71.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($172.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VN248H 23.8" Monitor ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $764.89
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-11 14:11 EDT-0400)

I have an old DVD drive and 140GB harddrive that I would like to re-use, since I since I'm not sure about a SSD with a cheap, first time build like this.

I'd recommend i5 like hace said but if you're budget is $900 and not $800 that would be an easy change. It's hard to say whether or not to spend the rest of the difference on a HD or go up to a GTX 760... but a 140gb hd sounds old as hell.

Price match the i5-4570 at Staples.com with this link: (this is a cached link atm their website seems to be down)
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.microcenter.com/product/413255/Intel_Core_i5-4570_32GHz_Boxed_Processor
+$40

Which leaves you with $95 so I'm going to guess that HD might be very out of date I'd get a new hard drive. If you don't need a lot of space overall and you can add another $30 you can swing a gtx 760 which will turn this into a solid gaming machine. If not though it's still good to go

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Bingemoose posted:

Just wanted to post my finished pic and say thanks for all your help guys. Dont mind the cables still gotta do some management.

http://imgur.com/oBT7lEB

Case: Corsair air 540
SSD:Samsung 250GB evo
Motherboard: MSI G45
CPU: 4670k
Video cards: 2 x eVGA gtx770 SLI
Ram: G.skills ripjaws X 2x8
Storage: WD 2tb caviar black
PSU: eVGA 1300 supernova

Custom water setup to come.

Haha wow that's a lot of PSU

2x 770 is my "reasonable dream" setup. Should be rockin

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Bingemoose posted:

Haha yeah shes jammin man. Minus some small hickups with the board and setting up the SLI.

Thought may as well go overboard on the PSU gonna throw a 360mm rad in front and a 280 on top.

Does custom water cooling use tons of watts? I mean at this point you can literally two of your computers with that. In any case, get to overclocking :P. This applies to single cards too of course, but if you're playing a game that can't possibly use 2x 770's worth of GPU (which is likely for some) make sure to frame limit. You save a TON of electricity, plus they run cooler, and smoother.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Bingemoose posted:

haha yeah i'm gonna get to OC within the month wanted to play some games for a month and see the difference. Gonna need to cool the CPU though its already running around 60C. Apparently 4.6 is safe for the 4670k gonna see if I can pull a bit more out of it safely.

I wouldn't expect much more if you even get that, but don't worry its very fast. The stock cooler is adequate at best for stock, it pretty much sucks rear end.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Crackbone posted:

That's not going to happen. If you want 4k performance it's sli or $500 or more single card solutions. Anything above 1900x1080 performance is going to command a huge premium for the next few years minimum.

I was gonna say even the loftiest expectations for the next generation of cards won't really run 4k acceptably unless you spend... probably way more than $500 for a single card.

On the plus side, 4k monitor's will probably become very reasonable much sooner. A lot of stuff happening now with that. Cool for desktop use I suppose.

For fuzzy pipe, and I know nobody wants to hear this, but if you want a card to hold you over until next gen stuff buy used. Stick with nvidia if you do (dont want clapped out buttminer crap)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I was basically hoping to be able to grab a good 4K monitor for less than $1k and a graphics solution that can power it for ~$500. It seems monitor's are hitting the price points I'm looking for. But the $500 price point for a GPU won't cut it yet.

Edit: Talking about doing this in 2015 probably. I'm probably going with the 760 for now though.

The last benchmark I saw with 4k required four titans to run 55 fps for metro with max settings. There is no amount of turning down settings that will produce any sort of acceptable gameplay for a $500 card anytime soon. Sadly. 2x 770 SLI would probably be the best value for usable 4k, and the closest to $500, and I know its not super close. 770 equivalents for next gen might bring you to $500 but there is no way of knowing.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Hace posted:

Don't get the 660ti, the 760 costs the same/less, and has better performance.

And yes your PCIe slot is fully compatible.

Yes agree, 660ti is good but outdated and out of production. I wouldn't get one over a 760 even if they were both being made just based on memory bus nitra

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

smelly cabin filter posted:

Whats a safe overclock for a 4670k with a 212? I just enabled the auto overclock on my motherboard which bumped it upto 4.2 and upped the voltage a bit. Not seeing any difference in temperatures from standard and the thing seems stable, I should probably just leave it as is :v:

Overclocking thread probably has the info you want. Short answer: 4.4-4.6 is average limits. 1.30 - 1.35 is average vcore before thermal limits. Autotuning is almost always wasteful.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Hello friend
is it bad if after replacing PSU and GPU, the cpu temps with stockcooler are idle at 50 degrees and get up to 84 in BF4? Googling it, some responses are like "don't sweat it until your cpu starts shutting the computer down due to overheating" but that doesn't sound right.

84 is too hot for stock, remount it with new paste. If you can drop that 10 degrees I wouldn't worry

edit: can anyone recommend me a good overclocking matx mobo that can sli? I'm making longer term plans and while I don't mind atx in the least, I don't want to keep matx out of the picture all things equal. The only focus I have is SLI compatibility and high quality power delivery. Probably a good audio chipset, but everything else I hardly use (3x sata max, bare minimum of USB ports). My mobo knowledge is sadly limited and something I traditionally just throw money at and hope for the best

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Touchfuzzy posted:

Here's five that PCPartPicker gave me. (2-way SLI) I guess just pick whatever one you feel comfortable with/like the look of/want to spend the money on. I'm partial to Asus, but the ASRock one is ~40$ cheaper, if that's your thing.

If I take Asus for example, it's hard for me to determine the real practical differences between the Gryphon and Maximus VI gene, or even compared to like the ATX Sabertooth. Besides the obvious such as more sata ports and the like, and the shields (lol). The power delivery (at least the 8+2 part) seem the same... and the important slots seem the same.

• Locked thread