Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Well, my computer has arrived and is all assembled... but there's a problem; my ASRock z87 Extreme4 motherboard's PCI slots aren't working right. Some testing with the graphics card and the network card has determined that everything is plugged in right, they're even receiving power from the slots (i.e.: even with the back power connectors on the GPU plugged in, its fans won't spin unless the GPU itself plugged into the PCI). It's all in the right spot, the motherboard just... doesn't realize anything is there. The UEFI system browser says that the slots are even Empty. Meanwhile, everything else works perfectly.

I'm sure this is probably because I've missed something stupidly obvious, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Just what the hell is going on here?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I for one would like to know more about the Gigabyte hate. All my systems have used Gigabyte motherboards and I have never had stability or any other issues.
Gigabyte has been doing cost-cutting measures on their mobos lately, like using copper in place of gold or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

ShaneB posted:

That's crazy. What do you have in your slots that isn't being recognized?
The graphics card and the network card. I've tried plugging them into the other slots and was met with the same result. And I know it's not a driver issue because the GPU drivers refuse to install until the card is actually detected, and I installed the network card drivers and it still isn't recognized. The motherboard itself just isn't noticing them even though it supplies power to them from the PCI slots.

I yelled at ASRock tech support, and they believe it may be a defective board and that I'll need to replace it. Which if true really sucks.

EDIT: Pictures are incoming, give me a moment.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 9, 2014

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

My cable management may be poo poo, but I at least made sure everything was plugged in where it was supposed to be. The PS cables even came with labels on the ends. (The network card is the flat thing between the GPU and the Radiator.)

You can't see it for the power cords, but the GPU's LEDs are both on and both green.

I didn't hear a click on this thing, but I'm 100% sure I pushed it in the right way, and it won't go any further.

This one did click.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 9, 2014

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Hace posted:

Your motherboard is likely a dud, yeah. RMA that poo poo.
Rasm frasm raggit fraggit rabble rabble <EXPLETIVE REDACTED> <EXPLETIVE REDACTED> <EXPLETIVE REDACTED>!

Welp, time to go harass NCIX...

Hace posted:

Also you're supposed to feed your ATX/PCIe cables in the bottom hole :mad:

Serephina posted:

I have the exact same case+psu by the looks of things. And what you've done there with those cables is a lazy atrocity.
I was less concerned with cable management at the time and more about getting everything working - perhaps rightfully, since the mobo is probably going to be coming out. I'll do better with the cables the second time around, I swear.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Well, my experiences in trying to get this motherboard fixed have not been pleasant.

First off, I got in touch with NCIX and inquired about RMAing. They have two options for RMAing: sending the mobo back for repairs, or "cross-shipping" which lets them send me a new mobo while I send the old one back. Obviously I want the second one because it's faster, but there's a problem: I'm only able to do cross-shipping if the motherboard wasn't physically damaged by me. And... it kind've was... sort of.

I broke a PCI securing clip when I was taking out the Graphics Card on day one. :stare:

This is an amazingly minuscule bit of damage on an insignificant and unrequired part, but apparently it can still count as HOLY poo poo PHYSICAL DAMAGE OMG NO CROSS-SHIPPING ALLOWED YOU RECKLESS MONSTER. So after a couple of days of back and forth with NCIX about RMA stuff and this "damage", even they aren't totally sure if this counts (it even looks more like the clip was missing rather than broken off, that's how minor the damage is), so they had to forward it to their vendors department and get an answer from them.

It's been another two days since then, and I've gotten no reply from them at all. So I went to log into the site and give them a nudge, but when I went to the Sign In page...

...And trying it on a different browser confirmed that this isn't on my end, NCIX really has lost their security certificate sometime during the last couple of days. :doh:

So, not able to contact them through the website, I went to do the only other thing left: give them a phone call...

"NCIX is closed on weekends!"

:vince:

...So now I'm stuck twiddling my thumbs until Monday, where I'll hopefully be able to get in touch with them again. If you thought waiting a week for your last couple of computer parts to arrive was bad, try getting a faulty one fixed.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 12, 2014

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Alright, so I've got the cross-shipping for my faulty mobo underway. Turns out losing that PCI clip was negligible.

So, stupid question: when I have to get my CPU Cooler and CPU out of this thing, am I alright to stay with the thermal paste already applied, or will I have to apply a fresh coat? I ask because I have no isopropyl alcohol or (to my knowledge) static/lint-free cloths to do the deed with and will need to buy some if I need to remove the previous coat. Or are there other (read: safer) scrubbing solutions I can use?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Alright, I (finally) got my replacement motherboard today. The good news is that the wireless card is recognized and working (and apparently the UEFI now plays sound, it didn't do this before). The bad news is that the graphics card still isn't; its fans run and its power lights are green, but it still isn't seen by the mobo.

Short of some better cable management, I didn't change anything build-wise between motherboards, so I'm not sure why the graphics card is still an issue given that the PCI slots definitely work now. I did have to jostle the network card a bit to get it to be recognized a couple of times (just during installation, it consistently works fine now), but this hasn't worked on the graphics card. What's the deal here?

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 23, 2014

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Well. This is... odd.

I've discovered a very unique problem with my (still non-functional) GPU. Once I determined that my new motherboard wasn't the problem, I took the GPU out... and then my computer wouldn't power on; it would turn on for about a fraction of a second and then turn back off immediately. Putting the (again, non-functional) GPU back in allowed it to power up just fine.

Now I'm extremely confused. I'm positive this isn't a motherboard issue again because I tested my old GPU from my old computer, and it worked just fine. I can't figure out why the new GPU still won't work, and yet my computer still needs it to start? I can't see any mistakes with the PSU hookups, unless the motherboard actually needs PSU-to-PCIe power to function???

What the hell is going on here? I'm at my wit's end and am considering RMAing the GPU; is there anything else I can try?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

The CPU power is plugged in, that hasn't changed, and I know both it and the GPU are using the right kinds of cables (I tried several prior to this). I tried swapping the PSU-side plug-ins for the CPU and GPU, but this changed nothing.

According to Asus, this power thing is apparently an unrelated issue, so maybe the motherboard just needs the GPU stuff for completing a circuit or something. Bottom line: the GPU appears to not work. They suggested RMAing it.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

The mobo is ASRock, the GPU is Aaus. These haven't changed.

Mobo: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157369
GPU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121770

The main issue is that according to the system, the GPU is "not there". The device manager doesn't see it, the motherboard doesn't see it, nothing sees it. And yet it still receives power from the PCIe slot as well as the PSU???

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 25, 2014

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

All the cables are connected where they're supposed to be, I always make sure before closing the case.

The graphics setting is on auto-select in the BIOS, I haven't altered that.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

SourKraut posted:

Remove your discrete GPU and try setting it to solely use the integrated GPU.

Edit - I should say, first change the BIOS to only use the integrated GPU, then save and exit the BIOS, restart->physical shutdown. Remove discrete card from its slot and completely unplug. Plug in connector to integrated graphics and try to start it up.
Unfortunately, this didn't help. In fact it made me poo poo bricks because for a few moments, the computer wasn't starting AT ALL, not even for that fraction of a second, even after I put the GPU back in. I eventually fixed it by jostling a few connections, but the computer still doesn't run without the GPU in it.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Well, I'm definitely going to be sending my VGA back to NCIX, and an interesting situation has cropped up: my Dad has taken an interest in my old computer - whose screen I am currently using on my new computer. Its resolution is 2048x1152, and I like to fullscreen and max the graphics out on my games. I may or may not get a bigger screen in light of this, so I have a question: should I get a better VGA to match? Will the GTX 770 (the current faulty one I'm replacing) suffice for something bigger than 2048x1152, or should I upgrade to a 780? Nevermind, my Dad can buy his own screen, and a GTX 780 is pushing my price range a bit too much. I'll just cross-ship the GTX 770.

Unrelated: Does anyone know if the ASRock Z87 Extreme4 onboard sound comes with a Stereo Mix option, or if anyone knows an alternative to it that works nicely with XSplit? It would make splicing sound into videos a lot easier.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 26, 2014

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

FINALLY. I've received my new VGA today, and thank God, it worked right out of the box. It looks like I really did get both a faulty mobo and a faulty VGA in the original shipment. :wtc:

Anyway, after putting in the new stuff, everything is now working nicely and system stress tests are underway. Stuff from my old computer will be moved over after this is done, and then I'll look into overclocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Whoops, yeah I meant to say GPU. VGA just rolls off the tongue better.

• Locked thread