Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I just ordered this build

I am excited for the items, but nervous to do the build. It will be my first, so time to watch some videos.

THANK YOU to everyone who offered advice and took the time to answers questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Hace posted:

I really think you should get a B85-chipset at the very least, but that's just me I guess.

This for example would be perfect: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D12OAVE/?tag=pcpapi-20

That pushes me over budget, and I have to stop somewhere. I wanted to stay under $550, and with taxes it pushed me to $580. Is there a compelling enough reason to change the mobo?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

teagone posted:

Keep in mind that since there's no optical drive in that build, you're going to need to install Windows from an ISO image via a bootable USB drive. You can create a bootable USB drive using the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Does that work the same for Windows 8.1?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

All my items showed up today! My build will begin tonight.

Wish me luck.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Build is all done! My first ever and it is working. Well, except for when I use the DVI-I adapter that came with the card to hook up my VGA monitor I get no display. The system makes a DOODUNK noise like something has been plugged in, but nothing shows on my monitor.

Guess I have to scrounge some money for a monitor. :(

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 11, 2014

• Locked thread