Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ok to follow up from this post I dug out the box for my psu which is apparently a seasonic s12.

To be fair a friend did give me it because he planned a build and then went out and bought a different powersupply so this one was never used, but it is way older than I realised. Although it sat completely unopened in the box for years, I dont think its going to be haswell compatible.

But after googling, the xfx offering in the op doesnt appear to be compatible either? So would this one be any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Crackbone posted:

What do you mean not compatible, are you talking about Haswell compatiblitiy? Haswell compatible just means it supports a new sleep mode. As long as you don't enable that sleep mode any modern PSU will be compatible with your equipment.

So my S12 will work with the new motherboard? It has an eps 12v 8 pin connector.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How difficult an install is the coolermaster 212 evo? A lot of the reviews seem to say the instructions are terrible.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
So I got all my parts yesterday and managed to get everything together without breaking anything! The evo 212 was a bit fiddly but I found a decent install guide on another forum.

The only problem i had was not seating the ram properly because I didn't realise there was only one clip to hold it in on my mobo. Also I'm going to have to get a modular psu because the aerocool case really doesn't have many places to put excess cables.

It's loving quiet compared to my old system, the only noticeable noise is my ancient 1tb Samsung when it occasionally kicks in.

I only got as far as getting windows back onto my ssd, is there any software I can use to check the system for stability?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Whats a safe overclock for a 4670k with a 212? I just enabled the auto overclock on my motherboard which bumped it upto 4.2 and upped the voltage a bit. Not seeing any difference in temperatures from standard and the thing seems stable, I should probably just leave it as is :v:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend a decent pci express wireless card that doesnt have huge leads or antennas sticking out the back?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

HalloKitty posted:

By definition it could not be decent if it didn't have an antenna out the back.

Computer cases are designed to shield.

Yeah I meant a decent one that doesnt have cables going to a reciever like all the intel ones. I guess this should be ok.

I have one of those tiny realtek wireless usb things, it works ok but it gets quite hot. Also the plastic casing just fell off and the heat caused the adhesive that holds the wireless unit to the metal usb part to separate.

It still works but I wouldnt use one on anything that I cared about having a stable connection on.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

That is by definition not a decent one though - there is a reason why Intel and Asus adapters are the best performers - they have recievers that you can place away from the interference of the PC and in a good spot.

So that asus one I linked is no good? Oh well I guess i'll just stick with the netgear usb one i'm using.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Will my current psu be enough if I upgrade to a GTX770?

This is my current setup

PSU: Seasonic S12 500w
CPU: i5-4670K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
Motherboard: MSI Z87M GAMING
Memory: Corsair 8GB
GPU: Asus Radeon 6870 1gb
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250
HDD: Old rear end samsung 1tb
Case: Aerocool DS Cube

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at a gpu upgrade for the pc I built earlier this year, reason being I carried it over from my old pc.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/zJzkqs
This is my current pc, yeah I know i've got a msi gaming board I dont use the nic i've got a nice intel wireless card.

At the moment I have an Asus 6870, which works ok but is showing its age on a few games (assetto corsa and project cars mainly) and its by far the loudest thing in the pc. I've also had a few driver issues with it so i'm pretty dead set on going with an nvidia card.

I'm currently using a 1080p screen but at some point i'd like to get a 1440p one also, so i'd like something that would be decent for that. Is it worth waiting for the new 970/980 cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Just checking on uk ebay and a 3gb msi R280x is £150, that seems pretty drat tempting for that price. Are there any downsides to buying these used cards?

• Locked thread