Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

If you are going to be overclocking, you shouldn't use the stock cooler.

For gaming, there is no reason to get a 4770K. The 770 is a maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

AMD cpu, so no, not a good idea.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Fixit posted:

e: Unless of course the 760 isn't compatible with my P8P67 mobo. Then I would have to build the whole new rig.
Don't worry, it is compatible.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

There is no need for a 900W power supply. 550W will suffice.

If you are only gaming, an i5 is fine.

Do you plan to overclock? If not, you don't need a -K chip or a Z87 motherboard. If so, you'll need a CPU cooler.

The Samsung EVO SSD is recommended; you should find it cheaper then the Intel one you selected.

Not sure about your resolution, so I cannot comment on your GPU.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Since you're a student, you may be able to get Windows cheaper through your school, or through Microsoft.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

fleur_de_leet posted:

Looking to pull the trigger on this in the next couple of days. Looking for maxed out 1080p/60fps. Maybe some streaming.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($289.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1083.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-27 19:52 EDT-0400)

Most of this was recommended from a friend and didn't seem too different than the guide in the OP.

I already have the following:
Monitor/TV
Fractal R4 Case
Keyboard/Mouse
Windows 7/8 key from school

Question: I've seen the recent spec of some games (Watch Dogs, Shadows of Mordor...) recommending an i7...necessary or not? Is it going to be a thing in the next bit?

Are you overclocking? If so, you'll need a CPU cooler. If not, then you don't need the -K CPU or the Z87 motherboard.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Manifest Dynasty posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading this desktop I built a while back. If I've got an older motherboard that only has PCI 2.0 slots, will I be able to use these PCI 3.0 cards? Would it be worthwhile to do it?
PCI 3.0 cards work just fine on PCI 2.0; it isn't a bottleneck.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Any particular reason you are using a last-gen CPU?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

William Stoner posted:

A few friends and I took some time to put together a build. This is what I have decided on so far. I am running this with a Thermaltake TR2 600W, which hopefully will work until it burns out and I need to buy a new one. I would appreciate any criticism.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3GGfi
You have an overclocking motherboard with a non-overclocking CPU. Also, you don't have a HD listed. 120GB won't be enough for everything.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

William Stoner posted:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3H1rz

I looked around, and the MSI Z87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard seems good. What do you think?

I changed the motherboard. I'm not really interested in overclocking.
The Z87 motherboards are for overclocking. Check the OP for non-overclocking motherboards (B85,H87).

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

You may want to consider redoing the thermal paste and making sure your CPU fan is working and clean.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

One question remains, though. What sort of CPU idle temps should I be seeing on an i5-4590? Obviously this depends on ambient temp and a bunch of other poo poo, but I was seeing 45C when I was just sitting on the BIOS screen. Should I rejigger my fans or something? Or is this fine?
When you are in the BIOS, none of the thermal management is on. Check your heat from the OS instead to get an accurate reading. 45C on the BIOS should be fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

If cost is an issue, you can cut the price down further by not overclocking (non-K cpu, H97 motherboard, Hyper 212 EVO/no heatsink).

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 11, 2014

• Locked thread