Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SL the Pyro posted:

My cable management may be poo poo, but I at least made sure everything was plugged in where it was supposed to be. The PS cables even came with labels on the ends. (The network card is the flat thing between the GPU and the Radiator.)

I have the exact same case+psu by the looks of things. And what you've done there with those cables is a lazy atrocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, let's talk RAM.
To me, it's always been an issue of having enough of it, rather than how fast it worked. I mean, paging and associated disk thrashing causes slowdown, not waiting for stuff to read out of RAM.... right?

Been looking at the various brands, and I've learned that anything above 1.5v @ 1600mhz has custom timings that overheads the memory controller (bad). But what about CAS latency? Does the read time difference of a few ns actually make a real-wold difference? CL 11 v CL 8 noticeable? The warning not to use multiple sticks over a single for a single-digit performance drop.... in what exactly? Boot speeds? Game FPS? Synthetic tests to read off the stick?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Alereon posted:

Reminder: Memory is installed in matched pairs. Installing only one module will cut memory bandwidth in half, severely impacting system performance.

This needs to be put in the OP, badly.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

teagone posted:

While we're on RAM talk, I just realized the Kingston RAM I ordered for my SteamBox is 1.65v, not 1.5v - is my mainboard going to crap itself? It's an ITX MSI H81I. I ordered from Amazon so I can swap it out if absolutely necessary.

It probably means it has XMP, which needs to be enabled in BIOS to make sure it's running at the right speed. It's basically a stock overclock that afaik might affect lifespan. I think.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Agent Escalus posted:

EDIT: forgot to ask, is there any reason I should go for two 4 GB RAM sticks instead of one 8 GB stick, leaving the other slot for another single 8? (this would be on a mobo with 16 GB max, by the way). If I go for a different mobo that can do 32, same question: any advantages between single or double sticks?

Read the last page and this one, it was just discussed.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I have a box with a 2500k in it that I'm using as a linux machine for programming and poo poo. No games. It has an old radeon HD4890 in there, but the linux drivers seem to be broken and it only has two monitor outputs (I want to start loving around with three).

What's an inexpensive video card with 3+ outputs and good linux opengl support? Nvidia's linux drivers are a bit better supported than amd's, right?

deimos posted:

Correct, 750 or 750Ti is probably what you want, inexpensive and fairly good performance, they're up there on the price/performance curve so it's the best deal.

Having JUST bought a 750 for low-end gaming, I can vouch for it. Currently the maxwell drivers are not fully released yet, which just means you have to goto the NVIDIA hompage and run their binary blob. It's no sweat, there's like 30 google articles on it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Might as well ask since we're talking about them; What's so wrong with a itty bitty USB wireless adapter the size of a peanut? Poor reception I'll take for granted, but that's usually a total non-issue as the modem is nearby. Lower max transfer speeds? What?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Lord Bude posted:

That is by definition not a decent one though - there is a reason why Intel and Asus adapters are the best performers - they have recievers that you can place away from the interference of the PC and in a good spot.

The absurdity of this!

What type of use case calls for this; who has trouble picking up wireless signals to their static pc tower?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not gigabyte.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, the rest of my parts are coming tomorrow and I'll finally assembly a *new* computer into this Obsidian 350D case, instead of my old one re-housed. yay!

Trouble: there's been some INFERNAL VIBRATION coming out of the case that I've been too lazy to hunt down properly, but it's not the case itself but rather something in it. Should I be looking to get rubber washers or something when I put my new mobo in? It's really annoying, much louder than eg an old HDD.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I bought a 750 non-ti on a brand-new spanking rig that the OP recommends, ie i5 CPU, B85Mmobo, 8gigs ram, so forth. Why?

1. Linux compatability, so I HAVE to go NVIDIA.
2. Local prices outside of US. The 760 is literally double the price, and I don't even play anything that could use it (mildly related to point 1 above)
3. As an "I'll upgrade it in two years when something comes out that I care about" part, the GPU is the most modular by far. Upgrading CPU after a long time means you need a new mobo, which can mean you need new ram, etc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh, and question regarding old PC parts: I'm going to be giving an old box to a mate so he can play games from the 90's like Riven and Age of Empires. His only req is that it has sound out via HDMI so it can sit hidden in the living room next to the Playstation. And that it be as cheap as humanly possible.

So I've got an old Veriton S460 lying about and thinking of chucking in, say, a Geforce 610. Is this going to work for sound-via-HDMI out? Looking inside it, the mobo has a SPDIF jack if that's relevant.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Serephina posted:

Oh, and question regarding old PC parts: I'm going to be giving an old box to a mate so he can play games from the 90's like Riven and Age of Empires. His only req is that it has sound out via HDMI so it can sit hidden in the living room next to the Playstation. And that it be as cheap as humanly possible.

So I've got an old Veriton S460 lying about and thinking of chucking in, say, a Geforce 610. Is this going to work for sound-via-HDMI out? Looking inside it, the mobo has a SPDIF jack if that's relevant.

Reposting this as it seems to have gotten lost. Again; using a 610 in old hardware to get sound-out via HDMI, sounds about right?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Chiming in on windows 8.1, I got it for my folks and added in classic shell, but you still see a lot of metro stuff here and there. Lots of 'settings' require you to use that Metro crap it seems, and some applications install with a Metro-style UI, ie skype. I'm not really sure I see why win8.1 is so much better than the win7 stuff I use at Uni.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Acer Pilot posted:

So my dad's secondary HDD is on its way out.

Would a WD Black ( WD1003FZEX) still work with an LGA1156 P55 motherboard?

The only way it interacts with your mobo is via the SATA port, which every mobo on earth has. It's also the 'normal' form factor and uses SATA power from your psu.

So, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Intl Cron posted:

and nine of the pins are damaged or bent

This might be your problem?

• Locked thread