Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend you not go for a mechanical keyboard if you're mainly using it for gaming. The whole better to type on thing doesn't really come into play much when you're mainly using WASD. There's also the increased cost to consider and most of all the noise. If you live with someone it will drive them crazy, at least from my experience. If you've never used a mechanical see if you can test one out beforehand and see what you think at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Wizard of Smart posted:

A friend of mine gave me a gtx 550ti that I want to put into my wife's computer, because she needs an upgrade more than I do. But I just don't think it's compatible. She has a gt5464 http://www.engadget.com/products/gateway/gt5464/specs/ stock. Is the 550ti compatible with it?

I doubt it but besides that if that machine really is running Vista on 1 gig of ram then I don't think a new video card would help things out anyway.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Parts are ordered and on their way. One last question: How long would the goon hivemind expect me and my dad to spend on our first build? I've heard anything from 30 minutes, which I doubt I'll manage from what I've seen, to 4 hours, which seems like a worst case "I got halfway through and had to start over from the beginning twice" scenario.

Like everyone has said mounting the heatsink is the worst part. Most aggravating for me has always been the motherboard connectors for the case (power/reset/etc) so be sure to take your time on that. Main thing is don't get too wound up. I don't think I've had a build yet where the thing wouldn't power on the first time and I had to dive back in. Usually it was just a missed power connection somewhere.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

NostrilBreaker posted:

I'm buying a new case and I'm not sure which to choose. I'm mainly looking for a mid-tower with good cable management and nice airflow/plenty of fans.

I've looked about, and my main cases at the moment look to be the Corsair 500R, and NZXT H440 (isn't the front going to have like, no air for 3 fans?). I plan on only sticking with the stock fans for now.

Personally I'm not a fan of the crazy airflow cases after owning a couple. My newest case has fan filters though and it made me realize that keeping dust out of the case goes a long way towards keeping everything cool. I'm not sure what kind of setup you have but I ran a crossfire setup and an overclocked 2500k in a corsair 330r until recently. It's a "quiet" designed case and with just 2 intake fans and one outtake it kept everything plenty cool.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Cael posted:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.99 @ Mwave)
Total: $1011.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Should be pretty standard from the recommendations, just wanted to make sure it all gels. Will save about $40 on the CPU since I'm near Microcenter. Replacing a setup from about 2 years ago (3570K, Radeon 7850), which is still decent enough that it's going to someone else while I get myself new stuff.

Compared to the CPU and GPU in your old setup this seems more like a sidegrade than an actual upgrade to me. Personally I'd go with at least a 280x GPU if you're going to bother building a whole new machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Radbot posted:

So if I buy a used, in-warranty reference R9 290, it will be unusably loud and/or throttle constantly. If I put a cooling system on it, I void the warranty.

What's the point of buying in-warranty reference R9 290s, again? I can't find any Asus/MSI/Gigabyte R9s that aren't reference for a reasonable price.

I got mine for $210 when the mining craze died, it'll be awhile before you can match the price/performance value on that. It actually isn't loud using the stock fan settings, it's just different from non-reference cards in that you can hear the thing instead of it being dead silent. Of course if you crank the fans high it's going to be loud but personally I'm fine with leaving that alone and just letting it throttle on the very few games I have that can possibly tax the card at 1080p.

• Locked thread