Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead.juice
Dec 14, 2011

Sexier than assless chaps
I started Dayz SA wanting to be a bandit killer. But my lack of experience and gunplay finesse has made that a frustrating venture.

I've been listening to Hunter S Thompson audiobooks while running across Chernarus, and came up with the idea to roleplay as Hunter. If I put a cigarette or tube in my mouth while I talk, I can do an OK impersonation over the mic.
I spent several hours last night looting around for a Hunter-esqe getup. (beige boony hat, sunglasses, yellow raincoat, medical supplies, and a 357 revolver hidden
in my pants)

After I came home from work today, I set out with my Hunter persona. I ran along the coast toward Electro, looking for individuals to contribute quick interviews. I'm no journalist IRL, I'm doing this for fun.
I decided my main goal was to try to interview bandits, to ask question like:
"When did you decide to become a murderous criminal."
"What drew you to a life of banditry."
"How will your banditry manifest itself once updates arrive, such as vehicles, crossbow, etc."

1 - I made this post to share my RP/troll experience with you, but I also have few questions:

1. Does anyone have some Hunter quotes, ideas, actions, or interview questions to recommend?

2. I might start YouTubing or blogging this occasionally. Can you recommend a recording/screenshot program for me? I'm willing to spend up to 50$ on a recording program, maybe a little more if it's a good one.
My laptop I play DayZ on isn't the best. Even with some config file optimization, I get 25-30 FPS, maybe 40 in certain contexts. I'm afraid trying to record anything will eat up my FPS. I run this:
Processor: AMD A8-5550M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 8550G
Memory: 3.3 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit

2 - My adventure today (next time I'll post screenshots. I was doing it for fun, and I didn't think it would actually turn out like this.):

I come across someone in one of those warehouses with the catwalks. He was being attacked by zombies, and seemed to be having trouble. I waded into the zombies hoard with an axe, growling over the mic "You communist fucks! Leave him alone! You people voted for Nixon, you animals!"

I killed them off, but the player cornered himself on the catwalk, pitchfork in hand.

I tried to interview him from the ground, but he didn't have a mic. I took pity on the poor mute and left him a can of food and a soda.
I head down the road, meeting no one.

I reach Electro.

I climb on top of the hospital, and I see a geared up player in bandit green with a sawed off shotty being chased by Zombies into a house.

I head down and toward the house.

I walk past the front door, and see him in the hallway armed. I freak out, and run into the ally yelling: "Don't shoot me, goddamnit! I'm a doctor of journalism! I have lawyers!"

He comes out the back with his shotgun drawn on me. I throw my hands up and tell him: "My name is Hunter S Thompson, I'm a doctor of journalism, don't shoot me!" He says in a Mexican accent "Why you come to Electro if you don't want to get shot, dumbass.".
I tell him "I just want to ask you a few questions, I'm with Rolling Stone."

His buddy (sounded American) laughs from the upstairs area, and the shotgun guy begins talking in Mexican/Spanish. I take that as a sign to get the gently caress out, and dash through several allyways. M4 shots are ricocheting off walls while I threaten them with lawyers in full sprint.

I run until I'm outside of town. I see a fresh spawn heading into town, I try to warn him about the bandits. He ignores me while mumbling something random, and 10 seconds later, I hear M4 fire.

I run into another bambie heading into Electro. I run alongside him, asking if he has time for an interview. He complies.
My first question is "How did you die?" He tells me with vengeance in his voice about the bandits that killed him, and asks me for a weapon.
He had such passion and determination in his voice, that after asking him a few more questions, I give him my Hunter-esq signature 357.
I follow him into Electro to do some embedded journalism.
We split up as soon as we enter the city, and shut off mic contact with each other.

I run out into an empty street on the south side, yelling my infamous reputable name, and asking if there are any bandits up for an interview. "I'm with Rolling Stone, you'll be famous!" I goad.

Some bandit tries to sneak out of a house behind me to flank me, and is shot dead by my vengeful friend from the shadows, who I had provided the revolver to.
As he loots the body, I head into the north part of town, where I last made contact.

I run around looking for bandits. I'm yelling over the mic "My name is Hunter S Thompson, I'm with rolling stone. I'm unarmed, and looking for a bandit to interview".

I run into a Bambi outside of one of the firestations. He is willing to be interviewed.
But as I am telling him that we need to move to a safe area first, shots ring out from a house. He is killed, and says "Why the hell didn't you protect me." I yell from the other side of the firestation "I'm a journalist goddammit, not a warrior!" (all I had was a fireaxe, and was already running for a safe spot before the bandits had started shooting)

I run back into the middle of town, following the zombies that are aggro-ing toward the shots. We end up at a house, all the zombies are at the bottom of some stairs inside the house, ignoring me in their aggro-ness.

I yell up the stairs, "My name is Hunter S. Thompson, I'm a doctor of journalism. I'm with Rolling Stone, looking to interview some bandits. Do you have a minute?"
A Mexican/Spanish accent yells down at me "Go away, I don't want to talk fucker."
I yell back up "I'm with Rolling Stone, I only have a few questions for you, won't take much time. Millions will read this. Your mother will read this, think of how proud she'll be!"
He continues to tell me he doesn't want to talk. I say, "Well, there's a bunch of bloodthirsty brain eating communist down here that want your blood. You're stuck up there, I guess you have time for a few questions."

Around this time, several angry Bambi players, only armed with axes etc, come in and kill off the zombies. They pile at the entrance of the stairs, waiting for an opportunity to charge.

As they are killing off the zombies, the bandit sends a few shots down the stairs, and then heads up a floor.
After a minute, I head up the stairs, still requesting an interview.

I try to interview him from the second floor, but he is only talking in Spanish now.

While moving around, I end up glitched inside the wall. While I'm trying to get out, I make some remark in a Hunter S Thompson-esq way that is similar to a peyote trip.

I figure since I'm stuck in the same building, I might as well interview them. I start firing off questions, but one of the bandits glitch through the wall purposely, with obvious experience in this particular glitch.
He comes over to me in that horrible purgatory, and shoots me up with an M4.

I threaten that my lawyers will hear of this, "By the end of the day, they'll have both of your legs broken for this! Your mother will hear of this, she'll disown you, treacherous swine! You people killed Jesus!"

Thus ends my first day as Hunter S Thompson in DayZ.

TLDR: I roleplay Hunter S Thompson, trying to interview random people. Try to interview some bandits in Electro, am chased off with gunfire. Run into an angry player and give him my gun to kill the bandits. I get into the city and distract a bandit by asking for an interview, and the player nails him with my revolver. Try to interview some bandits holded up in a house surround by angry fresh spawn. I make it up one story while trying to request an interview with them, accidentally glitch into a wall, and get killed by a bandit the purposely glitched himself into the same wall.

Dead.juice fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This is...epic...epic for the win

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
what the hell is this

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Your tl;dr was too long, didn't read it.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yThfdrdFL8

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it appears you enjoy video games

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I wish you luck with your lets play. It sounds like it could work.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I make some remark in a Hunter S Thompson-esq way that is similar to a peyote trip.

Dead.juice
Dec 14, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Your tl;dr was too long, didn't read it.

Goddammit I knew it!

SUPER tl;dr
Roleplaying as Hunter S. Thompson in DayZ SA with cigarette stuck in mouth to help impersonation.
Interviewing random players.
Adventure ends with me trying to interview bandits holed up in house with angry bambi militia surrounding the place. I accidentally glitch through wall, one of the bandits ghost through same wall and kills me. No screenshots or video because I didn't expect it turn out so.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I didn't read you story, but if you want to record stuff you could probably use Open Broadcaster Software.

Dead.juice
Dec 14, 2011

Erata posted:

I wish you luck with your lets play. It sounds like it could work.

Thanks. :)
It's most likely going to turn into a minor blog with screenshots and player interviews. Will be trying to make it as Hunter-Esq as entertainingly possible.
Will possibly have a video or two in the future. I have lots of early morning work, but when I get home I will also be working on this, as it is a fun idea.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Hat Thoughts posted:

This is...epic...epic for the win

mmmm, they're so mad, bro. the lulz, oh gently caress, the lulz. *farts in own mouth*

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Hey, just dropping by to say that I didn't read a word of the op.

Ok, goodbye.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You're the kind of guy that roleplays everything. You're the reason why every genre has stupid, pointless, RPG-lite poo poo tacked on.

Dead.juice
Dec 14, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

I didn't read you story, but if you want to record stuff you could probably use Open Broadcaster Software.

That's coo.
I looked it up, interesting.
I can do research and testing myself later, but if you've had experience yourself, can you spare an opinion on how well it works?
i.e. I have a bitchy laptop that just manages to run DayZ 25-40 FPS. I'm afraid adding a program will kill what little FPS I have. Does it work well for you/have you used it.

Dead.juice
Dec 14, 2011

little munchkin posted:

Hey, just dropping by to say that I didn't read a word of the op.

Ok, goodbye.

Probably one of Nixon's bodyguards.

Blacktoll posted:

You're the kind of guy that roleplays everything. You're the reason why every genre has stupid, pointless, RPG-lite poo poo tacked on.

I am certainly not one of those people.
...well, maybe I am.
This is the first time in my life I have ever seriously taken on a role. It's all for troll/entertainment purposes. Mostly mine.

Dead.juice fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 9, 2014

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I got a good chuckle out of this OP good job.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I liked this and dont want it moved to lets play, gently caress lets play

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Is it wrong that I want to see this persist solely because I want to see what would happen when it showed up on Retsupurae?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
day z is so drat bad

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I loving hate Hunter S. Thompson.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Make like Hunter S Thompson and kill your self.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I always thought he pussied out at the end. I mean, if you're going to be shot out of a cannon, don't be ashes first.

When I die I want to be shot out of a cannon while fully formed. Multiple times, until they can get me in my coffin.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Meat Recital posted:

Make like Hunter S Thompson and kill you are self.

Do this OP.

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
Hunter Thompson died of natural causes

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
In the words of macklemore, "this is loving awesome" op

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

mmmm posted:

Hunter Thompson died of natural causes

Perhaps he found what he came here for, but the odds are huge that he didn’t. He was an old, sick, and very troubled man, and the illusion of peace and contentment was not enough for him. So finally, and for what he must have thought the best of reasons, he ended it with a shotgun.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Dead.juice posted:

I started Dayz SA wanting to be a bandit killer. But my lack of experience and gunplay finesse has made that a frustrating venture.

I've been listening to Hunter S Thompson audiobooks while running across Chernarus, and came up with the idea to roleplay as Hunter. If I put a cigarette or tube in my mouth while I talk, I can do an OK impersonation over the mic.
I spent several hours last night looting around for a Hunter-esqe getup. (beige boony hat, sunglasses, yellow raincoat, medical supplies, and a 357 revolver hidden
in my pants)

After I came home from work today, I set out with my Hunter persona. I ran along the coast toward Electro, looking for individuals to contribute quick interviews. I'm no journalist IRL, I'm doing this for fun.
"How will your banditry manifest itself once updates arrive, such as vehicles, crossbow, etc."

1 - I made this post to share my RP/troll experience with you, but I also have few questions:

1. Does anyone have some Hunter quotes, ideas, actions, or interview questions to recommend?

2. I might start YouTubing or blogging this occasionally. Can you recommend a recording/screenshot program for me? I'm willing to spend up to 50$ on a recording program, maybe a little more if it's a good one.
My laptop I play DayZ on isn't the best. Even with some config file optimization, I get 25-30 FPS, maybe 40 in certain contexts. I'm afraid trying to record anything will eat up my FPS. I run this:

2 - My adventure today (next time I'll post screenshots. I was doing it for fun, and I didn't think it would actually turn out like this.):

I come across someone in one of those warehouses with the catwalks. He was being attacked by zombies, and seemed to be having trouble. I waded into the zombies hoard with an axe, growling over the mic "You communist fucks! Leave him alone! You people voted for Nixon, you animals!"

I killed them off, but the player cornered himself on the catwalk, pitchfork in hand.

I tried to interview him from the ground, but he didn't have a mic. I took pity on the poor mute and left him a can of food and a soda.

I reach Electro.

I climb on top of the hospital, and I see a geared up player in bandit green with a sawed off shotty being chased by Zombies into a house.

I walk past the front door, and see him in the hallway armed. I freak out, and run into the ally yelling: "Don't shoot me, goddamnit! I'm a doctor of journalism! I have lawyers!"

He comes out the back with his shotgun drawn on me. I throw my hands up and tell him: "My name is Hunter S Thompson, I'm a doctor of journalism, don't shoot me!" He says in a Mexican accent "Why you come to Electro if you don't want to get shot, dumbass.".

His buddy (sounded American) laughs from the upstairs area, and the shotgun guy begins talking in Mexican/Spanish. I take that as a sign to get the gently caress out, and dash through several allyways. M4 shots are ricocheting off walls while I threaten them with lawyers in full sprint.

I run until I'm outside of town. I see a fresh spawn heading into town, I try to warn him about the bandits. He ignores me while mumbling something random, and 10 seconds later, I hear M4 fire.

I run into another bambie heading into Electro. I run alongside him, asking if he has time for an interview. He complies.
My first question is "How did you die?" He tells me with vengeance in his voice about the bandits that killed him, and asks me for a weapon.
He had such passion and determination in his voice, that after asking him a few more questions, I give him my Hunter-esq signature 357.
We split up as soon as we enter the city, and shut off mic contact with each other.

I run out into an empty street on the south side, yelling my infamous reputable name, and asking if there are any bandits up for an interview. "I'm with Rolling Stone, you'll be famous!" I goad.

Some bandit tries to sneak out of a house behind me to flank me, and is shot dead by my vengeful friend from the shadows, who I had provided the revolver to.
As he loots the body, I head into the north part of town, where I last made contact.

I run around looking for bandits. I'm yelling over the mic "My name is Hunter S Thompson, I'm with rolling stone. I'm unarmed, and looking for a bandit to interview".

I run into a Bambi outside of one of the firestations. He is willing to be interviewed.
But as I am telling him that we need to move to a safe area first, shots ring out from a house. He is killed, and says "Why the hell didn't you protect me." I yell from the other side of the firestation "I'm a journalist goddammit, not a warrior!" (all I had was a fireaxe, and was already running for a safe spot before the bandits had started shooting)

I run back into the middle of town, following the zombies that are aggro-ing toward the shots. We end up at a house, all the zombies are at the bottom of some stairs inside the house, ignoring me in their aggro-ness.

I yell up the stairs, "My name is Hunter S. Thompson, I'm a doctor of journalism. I'm with Rolling Stone, looking to interview some bandits. Do you have a minute?"
A Mexican/Spanish accent yells down at me "Go away, I don't want to talk fucker."
I yell back up "I'm with Rolling Stone, I only have a few questions for you, won't take much time. Millions will read this. Your mother will read this, think of how proud she'll be!"
He continues to tell me he doesn't want to talk. I say, "Well, there's a bunch of bloodthirsty brain eating communist down here that want your blood. You're stuck up there, I guess you have time for a few questions."

Around this time, several angry Bambi players, only armed with axes etc, come in and kill off the zombies. They pile at the entrance of the stairs, waiting for an opportunity to charge.

As they are killing off the zombies, the bandit sends a few shots down the stairs, and then heads up a floor.

I try to interview him from the second floor, but he is only talking in Spanish now.

While moving around, I end up glitched inside the wall. While I'm trying to get out, I make some remark in a Hunter S Thompson-esq way that is similar to a peyote trip.

I figure since I'm stuck in the same building, I might as well interview them. I start firing off questions, but one of the bandits glitch through the wall purposely, with obvious experience in this particular glitch.

I threaten that my lawyers will hear of this, "By the end of the day, they'll have both of your legs broken for this! Your mother will hear of this, she'll disown you, treacherous swine! You people killed Jesus!"

TLDR: I roleplay Hunter S Thompson, trying to interview random people. Try to interview some bandits in Electro, am chased off with gunfire. Run into an angry player and give him my gun to kill the bandits. I get into the city and distract a bandit by asking for an interview, and the player nails him with my revolver. Try to interview some bandits holded up in a house surround by angry fresh spawn. I make it up one story while trying to request an interview with them, accidentally glitch into a wall, and get killed by a bandit the purposely glitched himself into the same wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=296jHs4im-U

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Dead.juice posted:

in my pants)

I reach Electro.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

Dead.juice posted:

in my pants)

I reach Electro.

i will troll the day z with you op, do not listen to these trolls :-)

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
do you have Nether, i dont have day z

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
I don't have any drugs to do with you OP while we troll the lulz in Rust but I know this guy in TCC who'll set us up with some good oxycotin, I met him when i used to play in my high school garage band

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Here's some goon Dayz tomfoolery if you need more inspiration op, good luck on your trovels (troll travels) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCLZ0NlutIk

Dead.juice
Dec 14, 2011

I had early morning work and slept in all day yesterday like a lazy gently caress.
Woke up today and got to work on trying to record poo poo with OBR (Thanks Ahundredbux... for all the trouble).
I'm having problem with OBS because my laptop uses an AMD card. I have been trying to work it, almost got it working, but it cut out halfway through my recording.

In my last recording (the recording itself was cut out due to technical difficulties), I captured this:
What was not recorded: I spawned as a black guy for some reason. I found a biker jacket (Tunnel Snakes RULE). I start heading up the coast, and run into a female zombie.
I pretend to be her boyfriend, and we run into someone shooting zombies. He kills my ladyfriend, thinking she's attacking me. I kneel over her body and mourn over her.
I try to make another ladyfriend, and he kills her too. I ask him to take me too (I was bleeding out from accidental friendly fire), and he complies.
The recording.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
what the gently caress are you doing op?

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice
In your next role you should proclaim yourself the bean king

Dead.juice
Dec 14, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

what the gently caress are you doing op?

Trying to roleplay/troll as Thompson S Hunter. Basically saying crazy gonzo poo poo, recording the random hell that happens. Right now, I'm trying to get a recording program working.

Buddha. posted:

In your next role you should proclaim yourself the bean king
The BEAN king. Maybe I will use that as a recording test role. As soon as I get this recording program to work, I'll do that. (if all else fails, I'm downloading Dxtory or something tomorrow when I get paid.)

Dead.juice fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 10, 2014

Dead.juice
Dec 14, 2011

n/t

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dead.juice posted:

in my pants)

I reach Electro.

:regd13:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
ahaha what a troll xD

• Locked thread