Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Do you guys remember Lunar? Doesn't this poo poo just bring back memories? Lunar: The Silver Star and Lunar: Eternal Blue were good games. Their remakes, Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete were also good games. However, the franchise suffered from a lack of fresh content. Excessive remakes and a lovely new game (gently caress you, Dragon Song! :argh:) utterly devastated the brand. Chances of us seeing a fresh new game in this beloved series is slim to none, but that doesn't stop passionate fans like me from waxing nostalgic about this beautiful series.

For those of you who would like to join me:

An LP of the original Sega CD version of Lunar: The Silver Star by the lovely Camel Pimp can be found right here

An LP of the original Sega CD version of its sequel, Lunar: Eternal Blue by the same lovely LPer can be found here still in progress.

Crowetron is updating his LP of Eternal Blue Complete again so here's a link to that as well.

Some person calling themselves liquidpolicenaut has both these original games up on Youtube (as well as some others) on this playlist for all your nostalgia needs. It is gloriously commentary free, a rare specimen indeed.

Despite this board being the FYAD of games this is a semi-serious thread for semi-serious discussion about this series. I cannot ask you to not shitpost, but please shitpost respectfully. This series is anime as gently caress so welcome aboard :nitecrew:

Ghaleon is a hottie.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Loretalk: How about that Frontier guys? What the gently caress kind of Goddess of Love seals a good portion of the population and one of her own protectors/failsafes on the far side of her world without light to waste away/go crazy and need mercy killed? Stay classy Althena.

PS, this is the Lunar version of :goatsecx:

edit: In before goddess of tough love.

Unguided posted:

"Ok, final boss time. Time to slay the main villain and save the day. Oh wait, the ugly bodyguard I just killed three times in a row was the final boss and the final battle against the main villain is a cutscene that doesn't have any fighting?"

Game Designer: Ok, ok, guys. Gamers love to receive XP and money after a battle.
Intern: Let's make them CHOOSE.
Ubisoft: BRILLIANT! :homebrew:

Game Designer: The name Lucia was really popular!
Intern: Let's use it again!
Ubisoft: I LIKE IT!

Game Designer: This series is known for a combat system where the sprites move across the field and attack.
Intern: Yeah, let's not do that and instead make an unintuitive mess.
Ubisoft: YOU ARE A SAVANT!

Game Designers: We've found that playtesters are just rushing through the game... maybe we should evaluate the game's quality?
Ubisoft: That sounds like a lot of work...
Intern: Let's make them lose health for running.
Ubisoft: AMAZING!

Jenner fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 9, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Mazed posted:

I heard that Lunar in Japanese isn't nearly as goofy but with more puns or something.

gently caress that.

The real Lunar is a moon planet filled with sexual deviant NPCs and flying cats who talk poo poo about everything and everyone.

And players were horrified when Lucia and Zophar planned to wipe out all life on Lunar. They had the right idea!

I still find that goofy as gently caress localization charming for the most part. The extensive gay-bashing in the games is really the only thing that's grinding my gears about it.

I think Working Designs really made an impression and helped the JRPG move away from the broody stoic super serious path towards something more jovial and lighthearted. A lot of games have tried the whole silly, pun-tastic, outrageous thing since (Disgaea, Phoenix Wright and Persona come to mind) but Lunar has it's own special appeal with its crudeness.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
/\/\/\

Nash wins Best Worthless Load Carried Through The Entire Game For No loving Reason every year.

They created that category just for him. :ssh:

Edit: Ramus keeps trying, one day Ramus, it'll be your chance to shine.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Of all of them, why does Ghaleon have to enslave the black dragon in the remake?

There were perfectly good red and blue ones that he could have not stuck in a machine and sucked the juices out of. Could have swapped them out, had way less unfortunate implications.

Word.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 9, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
/\/\/\

Back in my day we had to watch Evangelion on VHS, they cost like 14 bucks a piece and there were TWELVE of them. No subs, DUBS ONLY AND WE LIKED IT.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Mazed posted:

and slapped like a bitch by a gentle anime waifu

I mean drat son

Shithead had it coming, that was cathartic as gently caress. His reasons for loving over the entire team is done a little better in TSS but he was still the worst.

I wish using your cleric as a melee character anywhere outside the start of the game was a good plan because Jessica does pretty good damage and actually has a decent number of attacks. I did run out of mana and silver lights in SSSC and wound up killing Ghaleon with her once which was pretty kick rear end.

I mean, she's no Jean, but the universe can only handle one Jean.

I honestly think Kei Shigema just started to copy what was popular in anime and other JRPGs at the time rather than develop his own creative ideas. Copying and bandwagoning is the capitalist way though.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
There was actually a PC version of Lunar in the works back in the day and it may have even been completed but who even loving knows who has the rights to release it now.

Edit:
PC version was completed in Japan and in Windows 95 compatible but has not been translated or anything.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 12, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Personally, I think they should just release EB on the PC since they've remade TSS too many times.

I wish Johnathan Truitt had stayed in voice acting.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

WTF this voice acting is TERRIBLE. :barf:

Dyne sounds like a douche, Mel sounds awful, Ghaleon now sounds less like a wicked smug brit and more like your typical snooty bishounen.

I missed nothing in not playing this remake, I thought people were exaggerating but holy gently caress.

It's unbearable.

Edit: I kept watching it and it just kept getting more and more painful. What the everloving poo poo. Lunar is cliched and full of that saccharine love and friendship poo poo too but aaahhhgg. No wonder these remakes keep bombing.

closeted republican posted:

does anyone know of a good lp of dragon song because it sounds like a trainwreck of a game but im not going to play that poo poo

I am not going to look for one, HOWEVER, I may or may not be trying to get DS emulation working on my computer right now so I can suffer this horror, once I get it done I shall probably involve Camel Pimp in this great Ordeal. Stay tuned.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 15, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

I will not LP Dragon Song.

CAMEL PIMP NO, WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER.
I was thinking of streaming it just so I don't deny anyone any of Dragon Song's wonderful content...

Current test recordings have black lines on it and the text is too small, FUSSING WITH IT.

There's nothing loving magic about that cake. :negative:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

thats a good point

i dont think the voice acting for the main crew is bad in the psp version from what ive seen. it's generic anime dub voices #2256, but that fits lunar pretty well bceause it's anime as hell. im not an extremely hardcore fan of the series, which is probably why i don't mind the changes :shobon: ghaleon's voice being different kinda sucks but there was no way they'd get the original ghaleon back

I just can't handle Ghaleon not being John Truitt and I admit that is the grumpy old lady who hates change in me.

I agree that once you get back to that horrible opening part most of the actual in-game voices are alright (except Nall's.)

I hate the opening for other another reason as well though. Grumpy old lady I am, I hate all the story line changes. Originally the Four Heroes actually wrecked the poo poo out of the Black Dragon because s/he went batshit out on the Frontier and was making earthquakes everywhere that were affecting the mainland. It was way more dramatic this way. Let me show you why:

:spergin: time! :v:
Ghaleon is known as Sage Ghaleon as he originally started out as a priest of Althena, he was fairly devoted as he spent a lot of time involved in healing the very sick and ailing and seeing Althena's miracles first hand (and being the deliverer of those miracles.) So he was more like Jessica/Ronfar at the start. It was only upon going to Vane that he started using arcane magic, but he maintained his devotion to Althena (Here I assume he had a spell list a lot like Alex's in TSS, with a lot more healing spells and more elemental diversity.) It was Lemia and his own fondness for Dyne that drug him along on Dyne's quest to put a stop to the earthquakes.

Dyne was originally from Burg, and a good friend of Alex's father, Noah's. Dyne was motivated to become a hero because the earthquakes were affecting his pleasant little town.

Proof: In TSS Burg actually has a rift in it when you walk up to fetch Luna's bouquet and initiate the anime cutscene, that was caused by the earthquakes. There are others around the town, and around that continent.

It wound up leading to Dyne becoming Dragonmaster and their journey was long and he grew fond of his friends. Ghaleon and Dyne became best friends and Dyne often looked to Ghaleon for support and guidance in matters of faith. Their adventure took them into the Frontier where the dichotomy between Dyne and Ghaleon shifted. Originally, Dyne had been skeptical of Althena and had a lot of doubt while Ghaleon had been full of zeal. Now, Dyne remained steadfast in his newfound faith while Ghaleon had a massive Crisis of Faith seeing all the suffering people in Lunar's shadow and being unable to help them. (This also led to Ghaleon blaming himself, in a way, for leading Dyne down this path.) To Ghaleon, the fate of the People of the Frontier seemed so cruel and arbitrary of his Goddess as the ancestors of those original Exiled Sinners weren't guilty of anything and were more like victims now.

Everything sucks in the Frontier.

The confrontation with the Black Dragon was traumatic, and when the Black Dragon went down he actually fled. He grew angry with the Goddess as he now felt Dyne (who he believed had died) had been little more than an assassin sent to clean up Althena's mess.

A priest sees the Legendary Dragonmaster, and his best friend, used as little more than a hired gun to maintain the status quo, can't say he's wrong or that his anger is overblown.

He abandoned divine magic at this point and grew discontent. Althena didn't deserve to command this world anymore, he would be better, he would be fairer, he would do right by the People of Lunar and Dyne's sacrifice would not be in vain.

:fuckoff:
(The above picture is also a video link.)

While Alex is carrying Ramus through sewer levels and haggling with crazy old ladies who want to eat his flying cat friend, Ghaleon is reforging a new Magic Empire in the Frontier. (There was a Magic Emperor before him in the days of yore.) It's easy to see why the Vile Tribe and the other Exiles of the Frontier would so willingly side with Ghaleon as they shared many of the same sentiments he did towards their distant Goddess. Even after he went full Cruel Evil Overlord on them many still fully supported him, as he still promised a better alternative to their current way of life to them.

Others were simply too afraid to defy him.

By the time Alex has shown up Ghaleon has been completely consumed by vengeance and had slid into madness, darkness, and despair. He sends Alex out to kill Dragonmaster Zoc so nothing stands between him and his goals of seizing Althena. When Ghaleon murders Quark and begins initiating his plans (by stealing all the good singers in the world) he has to also resort to murdering the rest of the four dragons (though it was probably his agenda all along) in an effort to keep Alex from becoming the Dragonmaster. However, even after all these years and despite all his hatred, he could not bear to face the Black Dragon again. You may be confused when I say the Black Dragon again, but I will elaborate. The Black Dragon broke the cycle of reincarnation, or whatever, that Dragons go through as s/he was so consumed by rage at Althena's betrayal and abandonment of them that s/he grew even more corrupted, twisted and coming back as an undead Dracolich (which Dyne had to seal away.)

How the Dragons actually work is an issue that is theorized and contested by massive spergs of the game like myself and I don't want to Word of Dante anything.
(The above picture is also a video link.)

So instead, he used Alex again. With the path to becoming a Dragonmaster forever sealed to Alex (or so Ghaleon presumed) by the deaths of the four dragons Ghaleon finished it all off by taking out the only other place that might threaten him in power.

:frogout:
(The second picture is also a video link)

But, in his rage and blind hatred he missed a very important thing, Dyne survived.

He lost his powers as a Dragonmaster and had to sacrifice all his magic but he survived. He continued to live out his life as Laike, as he didn't have the power to face Ghaleon himself (or his own failings) but did try to help in anyway he could.

As the old Dragonmaster was still alive, he was able to guide the aspiring Dragonmaster on his quest, informing him of Althena's Sword, which completes the Dragonmaster's equipment. But that led them to another issue which was...

Thank you, Nall. Like you see in the screen shot, even with all the Dragonmaster's equipment, with the four dragons dead how could there be a Dragonmaster? Moreover, with Althena fully under the Magic Emperor's control, how could they reach her? Well, I've got great news (I just saved a ton on car insurance by switching to Geico.)

Alex, son, I have something to tell you. It's not incest so go rescue your childhood friend and show her why Dragonmaster has a capital D.

Not all the four dragons are dead, you see. One survived.

Your obnoxious flying cat Nall? Actually Quark's son and the last Dragon. Whom Dyne entrusted to Alex's father to take care of as well as the baby Luna. And Luna? Well...

I'm sure it's just a coincidence :v:

The Goddess Althena is a little bit closer to home than you think.

TL;DR, all this is way cooler, more compelling and just generally better loving motivation than the MAD BECAUSE DUMB :mad: and mustache twirling of SSSC and SSH. Ghaleon is less comically evil and more sympathetic. His turn towards villainy seems less random, childish, and arbitrary and it truly explains why he fell from grace. Changing poo poo to be all this stupid other stuff just makes it cliched "evil because I said so" bullshit and gently caress Kei Shigema for changing it.

Extremely hardcore fan of the series corner is over for now. I hope you enjoyed the loredump.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 27, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Odd posted:

So if the whole 4 Heroes backstory got rewritten for SSSC, what did they actually do in that version to become so famous? I don't think I ever figured that out

In TSS the Black Dragon goes crazy and loses his/her poo poo because they're isolated and sealed on the Get hosed (Frontier) side of Lunar and denied Althena's light. So she/he gets pretty pissed and unstable, starts making earthquakes everywhere in a righteous tantrum and the four heroes (Dyne, Mel, Lemia, and Ghaleon) wreck his/her poo poo and reestablish the status quo. Then Ghaleon does all that spergfest above.

In SSSC I don't remember what the four heroes even did ever really being explained or why Dyne ever had to become Laike really answered in any way. The only thing I can remember offhand is this flashback (which you only get at the very end of the game) which suggests Dyne's power was needed to complete the process of Althena's reincarnation (maybe :speculate:) There may be other stuff in books and NPC dialog and poo poo too throughout the game but it's been so long since I've played the remake (because I hate it :reject:) that I can't really definitively say anything on that. (I could dredge up screenshots and effortpost again but I'm just not as passionate about this.)

However, in that scene linked above (if you're too lazy to click the link) Dyne has already made the decision to sacrifice all his power to Althena and no reason is ever stated as to why he must. It's just her smiling down at him and doing the wavery, "I am in love with you" anime eyes (which makes no sense and is an awful retcon because if Althena was also in anime-love with Dyne then what makes Alex so special?) And Ghaleon's all, "Dyne this is stupid." (He's right.) "Stop before the path you have chosen strips you of the very power that safeguards your soul" is what he says. (Whatever the gently caress that means/implies.)

In SSH they basically make Ghaleon a Copycat Killer because he just does what the new rear end in a top hat villain they created for the Four Heroes was doing because reasons. v:v:v I assume Kei Shigema just didn't like the unfortunate implications the Black Dragon Situation and Humans and Beastmen being in the Frontier as well carried (especially since the Humans and Beastmen NPCs were completely removed from the Frontier in SSS and SSH, making it entirely populated by the descendants of the Vile Tribe who, while somewhat sympathetic, were still pretty TYPICAL EVIL FANTASY RACE in my opinion.) Even though it was really loving interesting and made you question the world and the Goddess.

Execs: Guys we are being too interesting, we better tone it down and become more of a cookie cutter JRPG.

i never played tss but it does sound pretty interesting. doesnt eb kinda contract the whole "dragons are all dead except for nall" thing by showing that there are new ones? im guessing thats one of the reasons why they rewrote the dragons role in sssc bc its kinds silly hyping up the dragons as being almost gone for good when a new batch (except for nall) pops up a lot later like nothing happened

is the reason why the frontier supports ghaleon still in the remake? its been years since i played a lunar game, but shouldn't it be the mostly same bc the xenobia and crew are onboard with ghaleon?

i think tss has a nice backstroy for ghaleon, but other parts of it did seem kinda like filter (like the whole bit with grimzol) and dumping luna as a playable character so early is a stupid. i can see why they rewrote it for sssc. ghaleon's new backstroy isn't as interesting as his old one, but ill take it if it means luna being with you past the events in burg and a better-flowing plot

1. The most popular theories for the dragons is that they reincarnate or that at least one of them was female and had eggs in her lair that Ghaleon didn't smash and Nall could hatch and turn loose. (Any of the other three dragons could have been female including the Black Dragon before his/her undeath.) Both are valid, though we never hear mention of eggs as Nall was delivered to Noah already hatched/born/whatever in TSS. The nature of the Dragons and how they came back could have been explained in a book in Vane's library or any other way without all the changes. Do the Dragons live in SSS? I remember that instead of killing them Ghaleon instead was running the Grindery on the lifeforce and power of the dragons (and they were all tortured and tubes in them and that poo poo was actually pretty :krad:) but I don't remember if they survived that ordeal. If they did then that at least explains them being around in EB. (Though the Red Dragon, at least, couldn't have survived as Ruby is definitely a completely different Red Dragon from the one of Lunar 1 since she does not know or remember Nall or know the truth of his identity as the White Dragon before their encounter at Taben's Peak.)

2. Like I said above, the Frontier is significantly less of a "victim of circumstance" in the remakes . They removed several towns where the most sympathetic NPCs were and removed all human and beastmen NPCs entirely (leaving just Vile Tribe out there.) I recall a lot of the dialog being more "muahahaha, I am evil" from the NPCs out there too. I don't remember if the underlying, "The people you wanted to punish died forever ago and we're just suffering for no reason now, gently caress you" reason remains in the remakes. I do know that on the Vile Tribe side of things they added 2 extra hot bitches to flash T&A at the least common denominator because hey, that's what you're all here for. (Only Xenobia existed in TSS, Royce and Phacia were afterthoughts.)

3. Luna sticking around longer was better and a net positive change that I cannot deny. This, however, could have been added without all the other poo poo and not changed much of anything. You don't need to change Ghaleon's whole backstory to have more Luna. You can have both the awesome Black Dragon Situation and double the Luna, these things are not mutually exclusive.

3.5 the Grimzol thing is really confusing and hosed up because he's called like 3-5 different things in the games and makes no loving sense and he is never explained. His existence leads to a myriad of questions: Where the gently caress did this thing come from? What causes the curse? Why was he there? Why does killing him cure it? (Technically I think it's what he's guarding that cures it but still, why is this cure guarded and sealed away in the first place?) Why can't they cure it without this sidequest? (It's not like they're in the Frontier where Althena's power doesn't reach.) etc, etc, etc.

I actually liked the idea of removing powerhouses Mia and Jess from the party and forcing you to have to deal with Nash's poo poo DPS and handle a challenging boss but it could have been better. There isn't much I can tell you about Grimzol other than looking up the five or six other names he's called in all the games and listing them. He really does seem like he was pulled out of someone's rear end as a buffer/time waster and I think they could have pulled off a better "Sausage Party Time" section.

Again, I can really only speak with extensive authority on TSS. It's been a really long time since I've played SSSC so it's not as fresh in my memory and I never actually finished SSH[it] because I thought it was awful. So I can really only chime in on SSSC and TSS elements with my loresperg and have an extensive old lady bias.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 17, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Mazed posted:

Also god dammit what the hell, cool and neat info in a thread on this board

I was afraid to make an actual thread in General Games because I figured not enough people would care. I didn't want the thread to die but did very much want to talk about these wonderful games. (Also I feel a Lunar thread just isn't a Lunar thread without vulgar shitposting which might not be taken as kindly in the grey forums.)

I was also worried that no one would give a poo poo about incredibly shameful amount I know about the games. I have always enjoyed talking about Lunar and its lore with others. I consider myself a reliable enough expert on the subject (though I'll often check myself with the people who are really considered loremasters on this subject before saying anything conclusive as I am friends, if not more than that, with all of them.)

This means you're all more than welcome to talk to/with me about and/or ask me things about the series and I'll do my very best to answer them! Or, poo poo, even argue with me about it because I love that! Things like this help us get a better understanding of our beloved subject.

Lunar is special. In a genre that usually either over-explaining everything or tells you absolutely nothing (JRPGs) Lunar walks a fine line where it explains or implies just enough to answer most, if not all, of the very important questions while still leaving enough mysteries unspoken, untouched or just hinted at to let the fans come up with their own thoughts on it. I think that's part of Lunar's charm and magic and it's one of my favorite things about the series!

...I still reflect fondly on the days when Lunar: Eternal Blue first came out and we swarmed to WD's message boards to try to find the Dark Scimitar, bitch about Gravity Bomb, or argue about the extent to which Lucia is divine. :corsair:

quote:

I do like the Vile Tribe sisters they added in the remake, even if two of them still were just kinda generic villains. Royce was my favorite 'cause she had style.

:sigh: I am just so torn on them. On one end, I like the fact that it implies that the Vile Tribe might have been matriarchal as all its leaders were ladies. The feminist in me loves chicks in power who pose a genuine threat and wield actual authority. On the other hand, with the exception of Phacia, they were all quite stripperific and Royce (the worst offender) played little to no role in the plot.

It's already been stated in this thread by someone else that Xenobia being in love with Ghaleon really makes her quite the cliched villain and I agree. She becomes nothing BUT that in the remakes (little more than a sexy lady henchman) since her other reasons for siding with/teaming up with Ghaleon were pretty much completely removed.

Of all of them Phacia is actually my least favorite because she strikes me as little more than Fixer Sue/Retcon device to fix/address/answer questions that I just preferred were left up to contention. It was just better that way.

...For a long time I, like many other fans, hoped for another game in the series. I personally wanted that game to be a game which took place primarily in the Frontier where the player had to endure their hardships, see things from their point of view, and be the Vile Tribe hero that Phacia basically became. (It would have been a good loving game, goddamnit! :arghfist::sigh: Missed opportunities...)

We pushed and waited for years and endured countless remakes in vain hopes for a new game. We got Dragon Song. :negative:

I actually wrote my own childish script for a Frontier-based game at the tender age of 15 (it wasn't too bad for 15!) and mailed if off to Victor Ireland back in the day. Never really heard back from him.... PS Victor Ireland is a jerk. :reject:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 18, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

oh man sssc's intro isn't as cheesy as tss'. i feel like i missed out by not seeing tss' intro until today

You really can't get more 90's than that opening.

I thought SSSC flowed better but it also felt like it dragged on a bit long in places too. I started to feel tired of the game about the time of the New Black Dragon bullshit and the New and Improved* Goddess Tower.

*not improved at all and awful.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
/\/\/\

Xenobia is a shapeshifter in TSS (and I think also in SSC) she spends the bulk of the early game impersonating Lemia Ausa and this sudden shift from stern, serious, but nice enough lady to tyrannical dictator didn't really strike anyone as odd or suspicious except her daughter. (Lemia was originally a bookish and serious no-nonsense kind of character who lightens up over the course of her adventures but always remained a little stuffy. They completely changed her to a snobbish valley-girl brat in SSH.)

The real Lemia was cursed with Plot Convenient Amnesia and actually locked up in her own dungeons. Once you reveal that Lemia is Xenobia she farts off and you later encounter her several more times across the game. She meets you in Myght's tower, she's the one who Nash gives the Blue Dragon Helmet to when he betrays you (in TSS) and she's the one who kidnaps Luna and the entire population of Burg. She's the boss you fight before Ghaleon in TSS.

I think she mostly follows this same path in SSSC but I really don't remember (I will probably do some research later.)

Phacia shows up once and then spends the rest of the game largely behind the scenes playing the role of a "good" member of the Vile Tribe who doesn't agree with her sisters about waging war and demanding change from the Goddess. She feels they should pray, atone, and beg for forgiveness instead. (Even though they've done nothing wrong, have I mentioned I hate Phacia?) Her role is to completely remove the greyness of the morality and paint her sisters as Just Simply Evil and Power-hungry instead of as a group with a legitimate protest.

Royce shows up MAYBE 3 or 4 times and it's mostly to hint that Nash may have the hots for her (and that that was a motivator to his later betrayal) and also to be vague and mysterious. She's the lady who tests Alex for magic on Black Rose Street in the remakes. I don't remember her seriously having a role in the game at all after Nash betrays you.

IMHO only Xenobia and Phacia actually had a major role in SSSC, Xenobia because she was always there and played a pivotal role in the original and Phacia because she's a loving Fixer Sue who's making sure that we don't accidentally think this desperate group of oppressed minorities has any legitimacy in their revolt and uprising.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Ok so I have Lunar for the Sega Saturn, Lunar 2 for the sega Saturn, Lunar Legend for the GBA(it's a port of Lunar 1), Lunar 2 for the PSX, Lunar Silver Star Harmony Complete for the PSP, and Lunar Dragon Song for the DS.

Do I have the best versions of Lunar?

I'm sorry you have Dragon Song... :smith: It's most assuredly not a game in the series at all.

So an interesting thing of note about the Sega Saturn games is that the Playstation versions of those same games are actually just ports of the Saturn games. (They may have thrown in one or two extra things here and there but they are almost exactly the same and seemed completely identical to me but Kizyr swears they have differences and he's like the guru of this series sooo... :v:)

Insomuch as which is better? It's up to the individual. I feel the original games (the ones on Sega CD) are better in some ways* and the remakes (on Playstation/Saturn) are better in others. I still prefer the older versions myself but I have already established myself as the resident bitter old lady who wants the remakes to turn down their loud music and get off my lawn.

*most ways

Camel Pimp posted:

LUNAR DRAGON SONG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh my gosh it's you! Update your LP! <:mad:>
I am being playful, you don't have to, I'm not the boss of you. OhgodIamsuchaspaz.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 25, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

BloodWulfe posted:

I would recommend Lunar: SSSC. It touches up a bunch of stuff and has a solid translation for the era. I think the sprite art has aged pretty well but ymmv on that one.

If you're actually going to buy a copy then idk is it still insanely expensive for the boxed WD set?

It is and there really isn't much of a solution to that either. It's a drat shame. There may be roms and such out there but I wouldn't know about them. I used to mail my copies out to people but was rewarded by getting back empty boxes so I had to buy them all over again. Now I don't do it anymore.

Camel Pimp posted:

...you know, I'm legit surprised there hasn't been one rear end in a top hat defending Lunar Dragon Song. Well, give it time, I guess.

There is no way that could ever happen, I refuse to believe it. That hypothetical rear end in a top hat (if they really exist) is in desperate need of therapy.

The Taint Reaper posted:

You could fit both games onto a console release. Even if it's a budget title or something.

You could fit both loving games in the OLD VERSIONS on one Blu-Ray disk.
You could probably fit both remakes on a blu-ray as well. Look at the Metal Gear HD series. 3 full games on one loving disc. SERIOUSLY THIS IS NOT HARD.

loving GameArts.

OH BY THE WAY I WAS WRONG.
You meet Phacia like 3-5 times throughout the game, Xenobia about 9, and Royce 3ish. Royce still barely has any relevance to the plot.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Japan hasn't gotten the memo that PC gaming is a thing.

Wasn't there a bunch of asset drops awhile back for Dragon Song and it turned out that like 60% of the original game was cut or something and they originally had a regular battle system instead of the stupid one? That and like a dozen unused bosses.

I really want to talk about this in depth but I was hoping to do it in my Dragon Song LP.

EXCEPT MY EMULATOR ISN'T WORKING AND EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE AND I AM AFRAID OF VIRUSES. :negative:

Suffice to say the game started out telling a much more interesting story about Vane and then, at some point, Executive Meddling turned it into the atrocity it became.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I would pay money for a Lunar Anthology that contains all versions of the game(like the Street Fighter 2 Anniversary version) or that allows you to switch versions at will during any part of the game like Monkey Island.

I mean even Namco is now re-releasing all their Tales of games on the PS3/PS4/Vita so everything is under a single company.

It's interesting that you mention the Tales games because it is my opinion that Lunar's Saturn/PSX remakes are the way they are because GameArts was trying to copy the Tales Of series with Lunar and ride its popularity bandwagon. (You all know that I would have preferred Lunar be true to itself and stay its own thing.)

Mentioning that Namco is doing it, and making money, might actually be a viable way to spur GameArts/Gaijenworks into doing it too as, at this point, it's become a case of: "Anything Tales does we can also do, why don't you love us? :qq:"

I don't even know if any of Lunar's more notable scholars (I'm one, but I'm small time compared to people like Kizyr, Alunissage and GhaleonOne) have direct contact with Vic or GameArts anymore. They did when the PSX remakes were a thing.

But, again, it's probably better that we not get too hopeful and just cry in a corner somewhere. Lunar is the most abusive relationship ever. :smith:

However, there's a bit of politics in Games Development I shall share: Having some guy associated with a game mention some rumor like what Vic has done is often used to see if there's an outpouring of interest from the fans/consumers before the industry ever moves on it. It's a way to test the waters, so to speak. If there's not enough interest they [the developer] can just be like, "Oh that guy, he's just talking poo poo." But, if it gets enough hype, they might be like, "Yeah this is a thing." It's a safe way to gauge interest without making a promise at E3 or PAX and then being bound into making a game where there's not much interest that won't sell well.

This very well may have been what that was, but if it was it doesn't give me much hope as GameArts has effectively exhausted its once incredibly enthusiastic fanbase with its constant disappointments. Vic's little rumor did little but make me more bitter. Rubbing salt in a raw wound. We have been mocked and teased with broken promises of new games and new updates more times than I care to admit. (Seriously, Lunar is the most abusive relationship, GameArts does nothing but jerk us around and poo poo all over us.)

But, it also might not have been this at all. It very well could have also just been Vic being Vic. My appraisal of Vic is that Vic likes to talk but so rarely delivers (and he's still a jerk.)

I'll have to tell you guys the tale of how I met Victor Ireland at E3 one day.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 28, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
:negative: I don't think I'm gonna be able to do that Dragon Song LP guys, I just haate it. I keep finding excuses to not pick it up.

So uh, I'm going to spoil Dragon Song for everyone who's curious.

Ok so Lunar: The Silver Star and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete establishes in books and NPC dialog that humans were always on top. Beastmen were always kinda looked down on due to their bestial appearance. They were considered barbaric and uncultured, getting down with beastmen was viewed as a big no-no. It wasn't 'til Mel helped the Four Heroes do their thing and started making poo poo work that Beastmen started getting props. It worked because within a thousand years they're in plenty of leadership positions and treated equally.

Other established facts: The Goddess Althena reincarnates about once every 100 or 500 years (It's different between Japanese and English versions.) She has always cared about her subjects in her own kind of way but never really took them seriously. But Luna was the final time the Goddess was born as a human, because she fell in love with Alex and decided to stay mortal for him instead of reincarnate. As such, Alex was also the last true Dragonmaster. Removing these facts pretty much negates the point and importance of the first game.

So guess what Dragon Song did?
If you guessed retconned everything, you'd be right.

Beastmen are now the dominant race and culture despite the fact that Althena brought mostly humans and only a sparse collection of beastmen with her to Lunar when she nuked the Blue Star. They're oppressive, bigoted assholes because why not. You play as Jian (pronounced Jean) and you and your childhood friend Lucia (not the same Lucia as Lunar 2! Lots of girls have the same name!) deliver packages, but not really. Mostly you just aimlessly stab things following around vague plothooks and fighting off apathy as Dragon Song pretty much redoes all of Lunar 1's story except Beastmen instead of Vile Tribe and Irenicus instead of Ghaleon. You don't even fight him at the end, and I'm okay with that because it was part of the overarching message of Peace and Equality in Our Time.

But the rest of the game sucked.

There, I saved you like 30 hours of your life.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

Aren't the Panzer Dragoon Saga masters long since missing? Besides the only reason to play that game was for the soundtrack and japanese/german/latin hybrid language everyone spoke.

WOAH, shots fired.

They were good games.

This thread is about Lunar.

cmon jenner dont loving blue balls us like that. i wanna know how ds fucks with althena's reincarnations. i know that bargain bin lucia is one of them but thats it

Nooooooo.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

Tell us more Jenner. Keep me from digging up the four or five bucks and hours of time to play it.

do it or else ill have to watch a lovely lp where the person playing is a wannabe avgn

UGH, so Ignatious or Ireicus or whatever the gently caress his name is is actually the Dragonmaster. But he decides instead of being good he becomes EVIL for REASONS and goes to the Frontier because the Frontier is the best place to build dark fortresses. (And he's actually Vile Tribe I guess? That part was confusing but sure) and all that poo poo. He curses Jian (like Lucia gets cursed in EB/EBC but not as bad) and kidnaps NEW!Lucia because since he's Dragonmaster no one can save/protect her but him. Or so he thinks. But the game establishes there can be false Dragonmasters (even though we already knew that because in TSS you fight Zoc who is a false Dragonmaster and Ghaleon is pretending to be Dragonmaster in EB/EBC.) Jian and his ragtag band beat up Ignatious/Irenicus' forces but Jian refuses to fight him because he's tired of repeating the cycle of violence and good vs evil that will continues on anyway in the other games since this game is a stupid loving prequel that shits all over the established lore of the first two games. So Irenicus/Ignatious falls off his castle and Jian gets the girl the end.

Like I said it's quite similar to the first game and its sequel.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 2, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I think the ideal Lunar game (not that that will ever happen) goes forward from Eternal Blue instead of backwards with a prequel or fresh release of remakes. Both prequels and remakes are little work or effort and just stagnant. Lunar desperately needs something fresh.

Bundling a GOOD new game with the two old ones (TSS and EB) could/would revitalize the series.

My fan wank is to take a non-cowardly approach to really investigating the aspect of people learning they are LOSING their magic and how they deal with it. (With one person losing their poo poo about it and going full-on Worldbreaker preferrably an Ausa to russle fan jimmies about the Great Good Dynasty having a dark spot.)

But that's just me

Troll idea: You play as Nash and since you are Nash you fail at everything, your mission? Kill yourself.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

at least she finally figured out she's a worthless sack of poo poo sometime down the line instead of staying with it after the events of sssc. youre pretty loving pathetic when your backup goddess is seemingly much more powerful than you are and is actually competent and driven while you gently caress things up horribly inbetween bouts sitting around your swanky fortress with your thumb up your rear end and becoming a human for shits and giggles

And yet Lucia STILL manages to also get kidnapped! It must have something to do with Althena's power. Since she claims it for herself before Zophar snatches her up. (Yes, yes, I know she had the feels for Hiro and all her other pals too but...) At least Lucia TRIED, but her villain had ample time to set up for her because Althena is the worst. Just once I'd like a game where Althena DOES SOMETHING RIGHT because seriously, she is a massive gently caress up.

Camel Pimp posted:

Really, Althena's big speech in Lunar 2 is, "Guys, seriously I am so bad at my job."

It really is!

You know... There's nothing to suggest Lucia gives up her powers like Althena did as Luna and die this time. In fact, there's a lot of Character Development that suggests she WON'T. So technically it's very likely she'll live with Hiro on the Blue Star until the day he dies and that, when Hiro finally kicks it, (and it's likely he will well before the Blue Star reboots, he has a mortal lifespan) we have a more competent character with Althena's power and nothing holding her back from doing whatever the gently caress she wants. (This could be a good or bad thing considering Althena's run...)

Or we could sadly acknowledge this is an anime and so Tropes Win, so instead they have babies ever after and she never gets over his passing. :smith:

:sigh: That just doesn't feel like Lucia to me, though. Lucia might love Hiro but she still chose the Blue Star over him. He had to come to her. She probably wouldn't permit any other distractions in her duty.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nobody on the moon has nipples. They evolved them away because it's too cold there.

This is true! Moon people don't have nipples because they reproduce via spores in the form of anime sparkles.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

several people posted:

I'm playing/replaying games in this series now...

I'm glad because I still love this series, this series deserves love.

Barudak posted:

Thanks to this thread I'm now renting Lunar: Dragon Song.

I hate each and every one of you including the people who are discussing the anti-nipplonic powers of the moon.

They make terrorists play Dragon Song in Gitmo as an enhanced interrogation technique.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
That amulet served me well in my teenage cosplay days. :blush:

I am so old you guys. :negative:

I can't make Dragon Song work on emulator and also cannot endure the torment of its experience. So I'm afraid there will be no LP. I may be able to figure out how to stream it, but I'm not making any promises.

I didn't want to accidentally legitimize it in some way, anyway.

I'm sorry guys, I've failed you.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Hey Threadies, I was mulling today over whether or not magic was fading/weakening in Lunar. I figured, hey, let's have a serious discussion here about that.

There's a lot of in-game stuff that suggests that magic is fading from Lunar. Nall himself, when he gives you the White Dragon Wings, claims they've lost power over time. Perhaps he is getting weaker? I didn't think the Dragons could lose power. But then, he did have his Aura/Power stolen by Ghaleon. However, even after you win his Aura back and return it to him the White Dragon Wings still do not function how they used to.

Several books in Vane's library mention the decline of magic. Lemina in general has much more limited magic than her predecessor, Mia. (Though this change was really only from TSS to EB, it's lets obvious in the leap from SSSC to EBC.)

However, everyone in your party does have access to some form of magic, regardless of how crap/weak it is. This suggests less of a power loss and more of a power stretched thinner amongst a larger group of people? Like a pool of water, I guess? Maybe? I dunno, these are my assumptions.

Also Lucia has the ability to absorb all the magic of people/off Lunar and does so. It is implied very heavily that the power that is allowing the Blue Star to be reborn is the magic on Lunar.

As such the Blue Star has a semi-parasitic relationship with Lunar, drawing its power away for itself.

This isn't to say the intrinsic power held within the hearts and minds of humans (the willpower and stubbornness that permits Hiro and Crew to regain their MP after Lucia vamps them) is not enough to maintain Lunar's well-being. Nor does it mean to imply that the power necessary to create a living Blue Star requires a Dead Lunar, though Lucia certainly would have had it that way pre-Pure Maiden Waifuing.

Ideally they'd both be thriving communities and worlds connected by their mystical space elevator, but who is to say?

But all this is open to discussion. Any thoughts?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Art is hard, closet republican.

Anime art is hardest.

poo poo looked good back in the day and was comparable if not superior to anime of its era. The designs didn't really update for the 2000s though.

Also cell shading was stupid.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Hey guys, Alex from Lunar: TSS and SSSC's Voice Actor, Ashley Angel is better known now by his professional name Ashley Parker Angel where he is one of the singers in the boy band O-Town who rose and died quickly during the N*Sync Era of the late 90's.

However,O-Town is now back from the dead and singing to impressionable tweens, teens, and single moms.

I am not a fan of O-Town, or boy bands in general, but this is an excuse to bump this thread.

Truly if there is a god of capitalism he is fond of easy cash-ins.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 29, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Nothing new in Lunar news today, but check out those Lunar LPs nerds.

Also there's a Grandia LP going on right now, it's the spiritual successor to Lunar and so there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Camel Pimp is doing that thing that nobody should ever do.
That thing is play Lunar: Dragon Song.

DARPA Dad posted:

no one likes you jenner

I know. :smith:

• Locked thread