Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The Second track in the Red Lynx vs All-Stars (Fish and Ships) I would not classify as Easy in the sense that the game's previous scaling has laid out.

Just saying'. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Great DC so far. Truly my only complaint is the same one I have always had. Their game runs like poo poo on PS4 sometimes. Screen tearing. Slow loading. Astral Trip really highlights how bad it can get with all the scene loads. Sometimes you get white screen for a second or so. Really ruins the flow and the experience.

Wish they could have attempted to fix that at some point in the last year. This would be a "forever" kind of game if it just performed better.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

magimix posted:

Red Lynx state (and the game currently bears out) that this stuff will be for strictly cosmetic stuff. Gewgaws for silly people like me. Which makes sense; pay-to-win really would stick a knife in the heart of this game.
I think the mobile Trials game was pay to win :suicide:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
As wacky as the Unicorn stuff is, something about it just feels like it controls terribly to me. Maybe it controls just like a bike but I expect it not to.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I downloaded the pack and purchased the dlc, but it acts like I haven't downloaded it. instead, the ps store tells me I've purchased it - but won't let me download it.

Goddamn it. On ps4.

ETA: Even went on the online website for PSN and it also lists all Trials fusion as unable to download.

Way to go Ubi.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 16, 2015

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Narcissus1916 posted:

I downloaded the pack and purchased the dlc, but it acts like I haven't downloaded it. instead, the ps store tells me I've purchased it - but won't let me download it.

Goddamn it. On ps4.

ETA: Even went on the online website for PSN and it also lists all Trials fusion as unable to download.

Way to go Ubi.

I assume it is the same after a full-on reboot of the console? If so, in addition to raising it with Ubi, I'd suggest raising it on the official red Lynx forums too. I feel like RL has been quite hands-on in terms of helping people with any issues relating to the new DLC.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Got it working! Kept restarting the system and logging in and out and it finally triggered it. Can't wait to try the new stuff.

Sorry for jumping the gun, I'm just super paranoid given how many recent launches have been glitchy messes.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

japtor posted:

I think the mobile Trials game was pay to win :suicide:

The annoying (for me anyway) thing with that game is that it does a lot of things that mix up the usual Trials game structure in fun and interesting ways. Like, if you stripped out the timers and the currency grind that is balanced to drive you to spend, and tweaked balance accordingly, you'd have a game to sell that'd work real well in a non-mobile context. Its a fun game. Having the quality of the bikes, and their improvement, be part of the core mechanic works. Until the timers kick in, and the resource grind ramps up (with the gently caress-you gambling aspect layered on top), and the currency stuff gets all up in your face.

Feenix posted:

As wacky as the Unicorn stuff is, something about it just feels like it controls terribly to me. Maybe it controls just like a bike but I expect it not to.

I got on quite well with the handling. Part of me thinks that it doesn't handle *exactly* like a bike, but I suspect that is all in my head. You can 'tail hook' the unicorn :3:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

magimix posted:

The annoying (for me anyway) thing with that game is that it does a lot of things that mix up the usual Trials game structure in fun and interesting ways. Like, if you stripped out the timers and the currency grind that is balanced to drive you to spend, and tweaked balance accordingly, you'd have a game to sell that'd work real well in a non-mobile context. Its a fun game. Having the quality of the bikes, and their improvement, be part of the core mechanic works. Until the timers kick in, and the resource grind ramps up (with the gently caress-you gambling aspect layered on top), and the currency stuff gets all up in your face.

I got on quite well with the handling. Part of me thinks that it doesn't handle *exactly* like a bike, but I suspect that is all in my head. You can 'tail hook' the unicorn :3:

I mean it's not the worst or anything. I guess my brain just can't parse how a Horse going fast = a Wheelie/flipover. I like it overall, it just feels like it controls odd to me. Like it's an organic thing not behaving in an organic way.

Before I played the Unicorn portion of this DLC I assumed you got more golden acorns by playing THAT part of it. But I don't seem to be. So are all those expensive items REALLY only available via IAP or am I missing where I earn more Acorns?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 16, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Feenix posted:

Before I played the Unicorn portion of this DLC I assumed you got more golden acorns by playing THAT part of it. But I don't seem to be. So are all those expensive items REALLY only available via IAP or am I missing where I earn more Acorns?

Online tournament play

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

goferchan posted:

Online tournament play

Oh word, thanks!

So I did a tournament. How good am I expected to be to earn even ONE Acorn? None of the rewards even list acorns. Just XP.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 16, 2015

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Goddamn it. On ps4.

Way to go Ubi.

The thing you purchase is just a key; all of the content loads as an update for the game. (That's what happened for me, anyhow. Purchased it, no download link, started the game and it queued up a big update, after that loaded the DLC was there.)

ETA: Did anyone ever set up a PS4 team? I couldn't find one but noticed that lljk was taken, although I guess the team tagspce might be cross platform or something...

Thranguy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 17, 2015

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
mmmmm, sweet, sweet lucky saves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa9gNUH0qz8

So, did anyone do the tournament for acorns over the weekend? I was rudely denied entry into the top award tier when, most of the way through a great run, Uplay had a hiccup and I got booted out of the tourney. Had to take a break from the game after that :stare:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
is there a goon team?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

goferchan posted:

is there a goon team?

Not sure. It's a topic that has come up a handful of times. For my part, I'm already a member of a team, so haven't tried to push the matter. Can you be a member of more than one team? If you can, then I'd totally join a goon team. I just wouldn't want to leave my current team to join a goon team.

Edit: I've posted a query over at the Red Lynx forums about whether or not one can be a member of multiple teams.

Edit: Looks like you can only be in one team at any given time. Dynasty uber alles :argh:

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 21, 2015

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
If someone makes a PS4 team I'd join it but I play rarely. Just sayin'.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Okay, I made a team on PS4, named 'sagoons' for the otherwise teamless among us.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Is there any particular benefit to being on a team other than I dunno, it being some anonymous friend list for more time comparisons/replays and vs racing?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

japtor posted:

Is there any particular benefit to being on a team other than I dunno, it being some anonymous friend list for more time comparisons/replays and vs racing?

Its mostly just an additional competitive layer; wherever you have leaderboards, there are also team leaderboards. There is also a team-members 'bulletin board' in the game, and some hooks to facilitiate private MP matches I think. Possibly other stuff too, but I can't quite recall.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I finally picked up Awesome Level Max, admittedly for PC, and wanted to just reiterate that the £20 goaty edition with everything in? Totally worth it if you're coming from Evo.

At launch (not counting tutorials), Fusion had 53 tracks. Now it has 140, female riders, more bikes (and a unicorn) and ~450 cross platform community track picks on top of all that. Hats off to Redlynx; they turned a weak launch and what looked like a lazy season pass into almost tripling the size of the game.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Dominic White posted:

I finally picked up Awesome Level Max, admittedly for PC, and wanted to just reiterate that the £20 goaty edition with everything in? Totally worth it if you're coming from Evo.

At launch (not counting tutorials), Fusion had 53 tracks. Now it has 140, female riders, more bikes (and a unicorn) and ~450 cross platform community track picks on top of all that. Hats off to Redlynx; they turned a weak launch and what looked like a lazy season pass into almost tripling the size of the game.

Yep. I was certainly a skeptic early on, but I feel they vindicated themselves well. While they in no way could have avoided *all* the early poo poo (and nor should they; there were valid criticisms), looking back I feel it was mostly a 'messaging' issue. But having run that gauntlet with Fusion, I imagine they'll be accounting more effectively for that sort of thing in the future. Fusion came out in April 2014, and I *still* play it almost every day.

It'll be interesting to see where they go next. *And* how they get there. Fusion is kind of a platform now. The game will handle paid content updates and changes until such time as it's no longer profitable enough. What effect, if any, will that have on the traditional notion of switching focus to the project for the next new-title installment of the franchise?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I played at launch for probably a week and haven't touched the game since, but I'm starting to get the itch to play again. It sounds like if I were to pick one DLC the Unicorn one would be best?

Edit: I'm not really into the super ball crushing hard courses if that makes a difference.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 5, 2015

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

katkillad2 posted:

I played at launch for probably a week and haven't touched the game since, but I'm starting to get the itch to play again. It sounds like if I were to pick one DLC the Unicorn one would be best?

It is a good pack - there are a shitload of great trials tracks in it. Did you buy the game with the season pass? If you did, then you've a ton of great content to catch up with. If you *didn't*, it is worth picking it up, because that stuff basically doubles the size of the game.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Edit: I'm not really into the super ball crushing hard courses if that makes a difference.

If you have a console version people sell the season passes on eBay for ~$6, get that.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Skychrono posted:

If you have a console version people sell the season passes on eBay for ~$6, get that.

drat, I'll keep an eye out... glad I asked!

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131569204497&alt=web among others

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Well this is some interesting news...

Welcome to the Ninjas...

RoguishRonin posted:

Have you run the courses in Trials Fusion and need something more challenging? Do you find Extreme tracks a bit, well, not too extreme anymore? If you are looking for more challenge than what you will find in the RedLynx Extreme tracks, then look no further; this is the track drop for you.

Many people aren’t sure what a Ninja track is, so let’s have a brief rundown. There is a noticeable difficulty difference between the first Trials Fusion Hard track and the first Extreme track. These difficulty gaps require you to learn more skills to accomplish your goal of completing the track.

This same difficulty gap is present between an Extreme track and a Ninja track. What’s more is that the Trials Community, who coined the phrase ‘Ninja track’, have varying degrees of difficulty under the Ninja heading. Each level features the same type of difficulty gap that I previously mentioned.

For instance, a Ninja level 1 and a Ninja level 4 track have the same general difference in difficulty as an Easy to Extreme track.

This week we have a special drop of cross-platform Ninja Tracks coming to PC, Xbox One and PS4. We’ve taken to calling it “Ninjas for Beginners” (Shogun said no to “Ninjas for Noobs” – Shifty). Don’t get me wrong, these tracks are still going to be a challenge for most players.

These tracks are by no means “Easy”, but they are just a small bit more difficult than Extremes and, we think, serve as a great introduction to the world of Ninjas than jumping face-first into a warm slice of rage-pie.

Will be interesting to see how this takes shape over time. Certainly there has been a push recently to shape a more coherent community of ninja-track builders and riders, think about making ratings for them more consistent, and work more to put the word out, and entice riders to try ninja tracks. Taking this into account, and considering that even Red Lynx's extreme tracks in Fusion have bonus ninja version in them, I wonder if the next Trials game will see Ninja be an official difficulty tier?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The "Best Rated in Trials this week" section in my game is FILLED with extreme tracks, with a smattering of hard and medium.

Kinda disappointing for those of us who prefer medium difficulty stuff to have to scroll past all the other stuff to get to what we actually want to play.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

magimix posted:

Will be interesting to see how this takes shape over time. Certainly there has been a push recently to shape a more coherent community of ninja-track builders and riders, think about making ratings for them more consistent, and work more to put the word out, and entice riders to try ninja tracks. Taking this into account, and considering that even Red Lynx's extreme tracks in Fusion have bonus ninja version in them, I wonder if the next Trials game will see Ninja be an official difficulty tier?
It'd be nice if they split out the Ninja versions they already made for the existing Extremes, if nothing else just to try them (without wanting to die trying to get to them in the first place) and see replays and records without having to go to YouTube. And hell, if you count the Ninja versions separately (and they're different enough) it bumps up the track count too.

Narcissus1916 posted:

The "Best Rated in Trials this week" section in my game is FILLED with extreme tracks, with a smattering of hard and medium.

Kinda disappointing for those of us who prefer medium difficulty stuff to have to scroll past all the other stuff to get to what we actually want to play.
Seems like it's an issue for stuff where the highest levels are really unfriendly cause it kinda dwindles down the audience to the crazy players that just want more and more challenging levels. I play shmups and the same thing happened with that genre to an extent, but luckily there's more options than one game/company to fill the void. Anyway RedLynx should probably curate things a bit so encourage good medium/hard tracks too to not discourage all the other players like you.

(I am also looking forward to Mario Maker for hard rear end levels, but fear the same thing might happen where there's only hard levels, or worse, crappy cheap/gimmicky levels passing off as hard)

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Just saw this posted over on the RL forums...

Peqz 2025 run (hardest track ever passed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiqxI1at53w

Mind-bending stuff. :psyduck: Some stuff in here I don't think I've really seen in other Ninja tracks either. Easily worth your ten minutes to check it out.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
No news in particular to share, but gently caress it; after returning to a focus on practising core tracks, I've recently platted Rock of Rages, Light City Run, and Frost Bite. Two of those this very evening no less. Hopefully sharing that will allow the adrenaline to dissipate such that I can actually get some sleep tonight :haw: (And I'm down to 3 faults with Inferno IV. Soooo close. Soooooo close, I can almost taste it :stare:)

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

The PC version with all current DLC is :10bux: on Steam for nine more hours. Seems like a good time to get in on this!

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Three hours in and I've unlocked the Viper and the vanilla extreme set. The real Trials start here. :getin:

For anyone on PC, add chokepoint on Uplay for leaderboard padding. Fortunately a lot of people I added during the Evolution thread are showing up, so at least I've got some company :ghost:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Thread... ARIIIiiiiiiise! :zombie:

I'll give Red Lynx this; they are intent on Fusion having a *long* tail of support.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1308713-Update-11-Coming-Soon

"The first thing to cover is the new and improved leaderboard system. We’re adding all new country specific leaderboards and we’ve also gone and pulled the Awesome Adventure scores from your global leaderboard ranking. Now you can speed run your face off and not have that pesky Unicorn tripping you up. In addition to countries we are also adding a Hall of Fame Multiplayer leaderboard but I’m getting a little ahead of myself so let’s see what else is changing in MP."

"Trials Fusion is a sport, a sport played with thumbs, but a sport none the less so we’re introducing new multiplayer seasons to the online multiplayer. Individual seasons will be tracked on the main multiplayer leaderboard while all seasons will be combined on the Hall of Fame leaderboard. We’ve also added a link to the leaderboards from the online multiplayer menu. Seasons and LB improvements aren’t all we have coming for our competitive players. Other updates include an improvement to the ranking system and matchmaking as well as some fixes for multiplayer track downloads. This last one will allow us to add more custom tracks to the public multiplayer rotation."

"We know you all like playing dress up. You ARE an individual and Trials has got you covered. So not only are we adding the DLC helmets for the female rider, we’re also unleashing the all new high value helmets purchasable with (lots of) career mode currency. Last but definitely not least, all the previous pre order bonus items are coming to Fusion for purchase using Acorns."

Also, finally got off my arse and finished off the "Full Throttle" challenges :sweep:

magimix fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 12, 2015

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Wow, that's pretty impressive.

All they have to do is release 1/2/Evo tracks and this will be the complete Trials experience.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I really thought fusion was gonna be some shovelware crap between adding tricks, the dlc schedule, and the unfinished launch. They've turned it around superbly. Unfortunately they still never released the evo DLC on PC so I'm still tapping my feet, disappointingly looking at my watch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Honestly, this would be the best game ever (made better-er by their awesome support) if the game didn't mysteriously run so poorly on PS4.

It dampens most of my enthusiasm.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Feenix posted:

Honestly, this would be the best game ever (made better-er by their awesome support) if the game didn't mysteriously run so poorly on PS4.

It dampens most of my enthusiasm.

What sort of stuff do you have in mind? Short of some poorly built custom tracks, Fusion on PS4 has been a solid runner, for me at least.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

magimix posted:

What sort of stuff do you have in mind? Short of some poorly built custom tracks, Fusion on PS4 has been a solid runner, for me at least.

On PS4 there is slowdown and screen tearing/judder in many campaign tracks. (Custom, too). Nothing about that game's simple (but cool!) assets should cause the PS4 to buck.

But it does, and in a game like this, it stands out and annoys me.

You'll do a big jump and the camera will swing up a little and screen tear/ slow down...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I got an xbone and this game and you can add me GT "Literal Garbage" if you want to compare times. Done with all but a couple of the extreme tracks from the base game, still loads of DLC to do. Obviously have to go back and plat stuff, just did a first run of each track basically.

I really hate the FMX stuff in the game, but fun otherwise.

• Locked thread