Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Chamber 9 posted:

i beat a magimix time and felt kinda cool for a second.

this did feel good in evo, looking forward to it again this time around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Just timed out at the last obstacle of the first extreme track, and was so close :(

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Jeffrey posted:

this did feel good in evo, looking forward to it again this time around

:colbert:

I got your number, pal. And the other dude. :colbert:

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
Ive never played trials before now. i told someone after i played it, "It reminds me of Hotline Miami."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chamber 9 posted:

Ive never played trials before now. i told someone after i played it, "It reminds me of Hotline Miami."
Yeah, it can go together well with games like that and Super Meat Boy in the category of "if you can be absolutely awesome for just 30 seconds at a time, you win".

edit: that said, SMB didn't grab me at all. Not like this.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 26, 2014

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, it can go together well with games like that and Super Meat Boy in the category of "if you can be absolutely awesome for just 30 seconds at a time, you win".

As well as the absolute beauty of instant resets, seriously I think one of the reasons why trials and hotline miami etc are so addictive is because the moment you gently caress up, you can just immediately go back and try again, no loading or waiting at all.

I'm loving Fusion so far, it's pretty iterative, but honestly I really don't mind because I just can't get enough of the Trials formula.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

magimix posted:

:colbert:

I got your number, pal. And the other dude. :colbert:

actually you apparently play on ps4 so I guess not, will have to do it in spirit

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jeffrey posted:

actually you apparently play on ps4 so I guess not, will have to do it in spirit

Also PC! Because, of course, I need to own this game on all my platforms.

Edit: I'd have on 360 too, but I gave 'Big Bertha' to a colleague, along with my PS3, for a charitable donation.

magimix fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 26, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Game is cool so far. Tricks are really weird and hopefully not necessary too often. Anyone have a guide for the properties of the different bikes? It's pretty hard to tell which one to use and there are no concrete stats this time around.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Tricks are only ever relevant on the one FMX track in each tier and the handful of skillgames that use them

I had a lot of trouble with them at first but I find that now I can for the most part pull off whatever I'm trying to do, getting platinum on those FMX fuckers is hard though :argh:

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
This may be a dumb question. I am trying to do the skill game for big air (it is considered easy) but I can't get over like 40 meters. I have watched youtube videos and been trying for like 20 minutes. I am starting to wonder if this is because the keyboard is not a good control mechanism for this game and I should go dig up a controller out of storage?

Is it really only viable to use a controller for this game?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Meowbot posted:

This may be a dumb question. I am trying to do the skill game for big air (it is considered easy) but I can't get over like 40 meters. I have watched youtube videos and been trying for like 20 minutes. I am starting to wonder if this is because the keyboard is not a good control mechanism for this game and I should go dig up a controller out of storage?

It's very helpful for the analog gas pedal, especially when climbing steep hills.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Meowbot posted:

Is this the one where you gotta dismount? That one seems finicky and random, make sure you get the whole ramp to accelerate down, lean back as you go down, and push forward right before you dismount. I got gold and I'm never touching that one again.

I bought a 360 controller for evo, it really does help, analog acceleration is good poo poo. I almost wish they designed the game without it(I don't think it was in Trials 2) but yeah, as it is you kind of need a pad. (Though there are very good players who play on keyboard so nothing truly out of reach.)

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Jeffrey posted:

Game is cool so far. Tricks are really weird and hopefully not necessary too often. Anyone have a guide for the properties of the different bikes? It's pretty hard to tell which one to use and there are no concrete stats this time around.
Baggie = garbage starter bike, who cares
Roach = Scorpion
Pit Viper = Phoenix
Foxbat = only useable on FMX tracks
Panda = Apparently if you use this on tracks which allow it you're "a huge human being cheating fag" or something, so don't do that I guess. Also it's an ATV that weighs a ton, handles like a brick and goes REALLY god drat fast. Also even though you never have to use it outside of that one set of tracks, its inclusion RUINED THE GAME and is PROOF THAT REDLYNX IS ONLY IN THIS FOR THE MONEY
Rabbit = Gecko

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 26, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Baggie = garbage starter bike, who cares
Roach = Scorpion
Pit Viper = Phoenix
Foxbat = only useable on FMX tracks
Panda = Apparently if you use this on tracks which allow it you're "a huge human being cheating fag" or something, so don't do that I guess. Also it's an ATV that weighs a ton, handles like a brick and goes REALLY god drat fast. Also even though you never have to use it outside of that one set of tracks, its inclusion RUINED THE GAME and is PROOF THAT REDLYNX IS ONLY IN THIS FOR THE MONEY
Rabbit = Gecko

Haha, the ATV is fun so I'm gonna keep using it, good addition. I only have the PC version so I never used the gecko.

I did this but youtube made the quality terrible. Level is Base Invader:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxLqpxsnLIg&feature=youtu.be

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 12, 2016

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

I wouldn't use the language you're quoting or all caps or whatever, but the idea of providing a bike that requires less finesse but regularly makes it up in terms of power does seem sort of counter to the concept? I mean leaderboards are pretty central to longterm enjoyment of the game, and if the top 1k/5k/whatever scores are all using the ATV that does sort of seem lovely and less than fun to me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

You... you can use it outside that one specific tier?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

het posted:

I wouldn't use the language you're quoting or all caps or whatever, but the idea of providing a bike that requires less finesse but regularly makes it up in terms of power does seem sort of counter to the concept? I mean leaderboards are pretty central to longterm enjoyment of the game, and if the top 1k/5k/whatever scores are all using the ATV that does sort of seem lovely and less than fun to me.

adhuin posted:

You... you can use it outside that one specific tier?
Don't get too worked up; there's only a handful of tracks here and there where it's allowed. Dirt Derby is one. Basically if you ever ride on anything thinner than the ATV, it'll be locked.

I was just poking fun of the handful of angsty fans who show up at every sequel ever's release to piss and moan about how any slight deviation from the previous game is either a "blatant cash grab" or "the noobiest noob addition to appeal to noobs and ruin the game for the TRUE FANS behind blah blah blah skill gap." See also: every FPS sequel ever made.

Basically don't ever read the Redlynx official forums. :v:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Don't get too worked up; there's only a handful of tracks here and there where it's allowed. Dirt Derby is one. Basically if you ever ride on anything thinner than the ATV, it'll be locked.

Nah. I just never checked what's available on each track, as it's usually just the first three (plus bicycle) or just one specific bike.

Standard Bordello
Feb 1, 2007
oh the humidity!

Chamber 9 posted:

i beat a magimix time and felt kinda cool for a second.

Goddamn, I can never beat magimix's times on Evolution. S/he is awesome at Trials. I'm glad to hear I won't be having the same problem on Fusion! :D (because I'm buying it for my dear old 360)

Standard Bordello fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 26, 2014

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

het posted:

But you can check the leaderboards, watch replays, and choose the best vehicle for any given track. It would be lovely if it was a DLC bike or soemthing.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Jeffrey posted:

Is this the one where you gotta dismount? That one seems finicky and random, make sure you get the whole ramp to accelerate down, lean back as you go down, and push forward right before you dismount. I got gold and I'm never touching that one again.

I bought a 360 controller for evo, it really does help, analog acceleration is good poo poo. I almost wish they designed the game without it(I don't think it was in Trials 2) but yeah, as it is you kind of need a pad. (Though there are very good players who play on keyboard so nothing truly out of reach.)

Keep hammering bailout (or hold? I forget) when you're in the air, the rider flaps his wings.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Phobeste posted:

Keep hammering bailout (or hold? I forget) when you're in the air, the rider flaps his wings.

...wow. I got the medal without this so I guess it's okay, but that would have been handy.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Standard Bordello posted:

Goddamn, I can never beat magimix's times on Evolution. S/he is awesome at Trials. I'm glad to hear I won't be having the same problem on Fusion! :D

I'm all Trials-ed out at the moment okay! :argh: Also, this game eats DS4s. After losing a controller to a failure of the right-trigger, the DS4 I bought to replace it started exhibiting the flaky stick-top thing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Are the physics basically the same as Evolution? I went back to try and play Trials HD and was kinda shocked at how difficult (or different) the timing was for bunny hops and things like that.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Narcissus1916 posted:

Are the physics basically the same as Evolution? I went back to try and play Trials HD and was kinda shocked at how difficult (or different) the timing was for bunny hops and things like that.

Yes, basically the same as Evolution. Riding variance in TF mainly stems from the bikes not being the same as from Evo. They fill the same categories (starter bike, fast and heavy, light and nimble, etc) - but the Roach doesn't ride exactly like the Scopion, and the Pit Viper *certainly* differs from the 250 Evo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

There's definitely "medal inflation", at least in terms of golds, but the hard tracks are as hard as ever, good stuff. I'm just defining 0-fault as gold in my head.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
There's one loving obstacle in the extreme track Rock of Rages which is so drat frustrating. It's a jump over a monorail, onto an incline with a box above it. For the life of me I just cannot get on top of the box, aaaaaah.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

NaDy posted:

There's one loving obstacle in the extreme track Rock of Rages which is so drat frustrating. It's a jump over a monorail, onto an incline with a box above it. For the life of me I just cannot get on top of the box, aaaaaah.

I faulted out on this obstacle twice in a row. That was an hour of my life I will never get back.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

NaDy posted:

Yeah, that obstacle was one of my 'show stoppers'; an obstacle that I haven't figured out, and where if I don't get lucky, I could blow dozens and dozens of faults there. I'm getting a bit better at that one, but it definitely isn't something I feel I can pass as a matter of course yet.

Still, progress being made. Down to one fault for Eye of the Storm. Down to 39 for Rock of Rages (over 100 faults down on my last run, which I was pleased with). 25 for Light City Run (another triple-digit drop on fault counts on the last run).

Currently it is Frost Bite that is seeing me get bogged down. One of the very first obstacles in the track[1] is now a show stopper for me, and really hampering my ability to practice the track as a whole.

[1] This fucker right here...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If only my bike had tiny rocket boosters on it I could use to subtly change my trajectory in the air...

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I totally lucked out on that Frost Bite obstacle. I've only got Rock and Inferno to pass now, but I don't think I can face another inferno just yet.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

wa27 posted:

But you can check the leaderboards, watch replays, and choose the best vehicle for any given track. It would be lovely if it was a DLC bike or soemthing.
On top of that, the game's been out for a little over a week all-told. Give the really good players some time; I remember several tracks in Evo which were "this is the bike you use" for a long time, then someone got ballsy with the other top-tier bike and found huge new tech. "Suspense" was one. I held 13th place for a long time on that track. One day I decided to improve a few tracks, checked a few leaderboard times and saw I'd been suddenly bumped all the way to the mid 40s. Someone figured out a crazy braking flip with the Phoenix on the loop's exit ramp that rendered all top-tier Scorpion runs obsolete by around a second. Never could get that flip down, personally.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I came close to buying Fusion for the 360 today in a weak moment, but then watched a youtube "Best Trials fusion user tracks" and saw several veteran creators (Kalnius stood out) making tracks for the Xboxone version of the game.

Can anyone who has the 360 version check out the user created stuff to see if there's still good stuff being made? I don't know if the 360 or the PS4 version will have a better userbase for created levels. :ohdear:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I haven't messed with user stuff too much on 360 but I noticed there aren't any Redlynx picks yet. I'd think the userbase is probably largest on 360 but that may not mean much if the better track creators are on a different platform.

It's still kind of early for awesome tracks to be showing up though.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

magimix posted:

Currently it is Frost Bite that is seeing me get bogged down. One of the very first obstacles in the track[1] is now a show stopper for me, and really hampering my ability to practice the track as a whole.

[1] This fucker right here...

Gonna self-quote here, because I've finally, *finally* figured this obstacle out (well, at the least, I can get passed it reliably now). For the longest time it felt like my apparent inability to get from the first platform to the second was going to scotch my ability to practice the track.

But finally it yielded. To be sure, I was all :doh: when I realised what I'd been doing wrong - and it had everything to do with how I was launching across the gap to the first platform. :argh:

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I really have no idea how to get silver (let alone gold for that matter) on the Big Air challenge. I've watched replays of other people doing it and I try to imitate what they did, but I still can't manage to get over that first little drop so I top out at like 30 metres.

But apart from that, I'm having a lot of fun with the rest of the career mode. It's just so satisfying to go back to a level that you were struggling with the day before, and then get a gold on it within a few tries.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

homewrecker posted:

I really have no idea how to get silver (let alone gold for that matter) on the Big Air challenge. I've watched replays of other people doing it and I try to imitate what they did, but I still can't manage to get over that first little drop so I top out at like 30 metres.

But apart from that, I'm having a lot of fun with the rest of the career mode. It's just so satisfying to go back to a level that you were struggling with the day before, and then get a gold on it within a few tries.

Took me like 20 minutes. It was a week ago so I may be misremembering but you want to bail just as your bike leaves the ramp I think, you should be holding up and right. It's possible the bike still needs to be on the ramp so the rider gets all the bailout propulsion, but I can't remember. Once you get that timing right, you'll get stuck in the 80-100m zone and then hopefully you'll get the perfect timing for a 115+ jump.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

magimix posted:

Gonna self-quote here, because I've finally, *finally* figured this obstacle out (well, at the least, I can get passed it reliably now). For the longest time it felt like my apparent inability to get from the first platform to the second was going to scotch my ability to practice the track.

But finally it yielded. To be sure, I was all :doh: when I realised what I'd been doing wrong - and it had everything to do with how I was launching across the gap to the first platform. :argh:

I still can't do that one, what's the secret?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LingeringDoubt
Sep 3, 2011

Good Grief

homewrecker posted:

The trick with this one, like so many things in Trials, is shifting your weight and the timing for doing so. What worked best for me was to lean forwards for the entire descent, then at the very last second quickly lean back then forwards again and dismount. Basically using the rear suspension as a springboard. Then hold up and right to maximize your flight time. Good luck.

• Locked thread