Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I dunno, Ovechkin seems to have more pride than that, but maybe if Oates isn't fired...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Levitate posted:

I dunno, Ovechkin seems to have more pride than that, but maybe if Oates isn't fired...

Oh Oates is fired.

Oates is fired.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I dunno man Leonsis said he didn't want to make any quick decisions after the season ended

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Honestly the Oilers could be a pretty good team next year. All we need to do is replace half our roster with good players.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

zoomdog posted:

Honestly the Oilers could be a pretty good team next year. All we need to do is replace half our roster with good players.

Just need some tough gritty veteran leadership, so Clarkson for Yak City sounds good.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Re-posting this here after accidentally posting in the Good Teams thread:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...052c_story.html

quote:

But entering this season, the organization made a fundamental shift in its goaltending philosophy.

Dave Prior, who had worked with the Capitals either as a goaltending coach, scout or advisor since 1997 and helped draft Varlamov, Neuvirth, Holtby and Grubauer, was fired in August 2013 when he refused to endorse and implement changes to the style of play Oates wanted.

“Adam did not agree with how I coach, both in my methods and the content of what I coached,” Prior said from his home in Ontario. “My inflexibility was perceived as ignorance or stubbornness, but I perceive it as a much deeper knowledge of the position. . . . I have no regrets, I would do the same thing again because I stand up for what I believe in. I would gladly defend a goaltender and what I believe is the toughest way to play goal and lose my job over it than to pour gas on them or give them what I believe is bad advice.”

Oates and new goaltending coach Olie Kolzig promoted a calm, controlled style of play that allowed for deeper placement in the crease. All three netminders who started the year in Washington acknowledged the adjustments weren’t instantaneous, but the most visibly affected was Holtby.

The most aggressive of the bunch, Holtby appeared trapped between instinct and instruction. During a stretch from Dec. 10 to Jan. 21 ,in which he made just seven appearances, Holtby gave up 23 goals on 160 shots and admitted his confidence was low.

While Oates declined to comment specifically on the difference of opinion with Prior, he made his case for the modifications.

“I’ve studied the position. I’ve met with a lot of people and studied the position. I’m a head coach of a team: My job is to know every position. I never played D but I know D, so I know goaltending,” Oates said. “We’re just trying to tap in more to their reflexes. . . . Every opportunity I give [Holtby] to make another save with his reflexes is a bonus. Now, it’s a process. There’s many nights that he reverts back because that’s his habits, but there’s things I think he needs to do to be better.”

Get hosed Oates. "I never played D but I know D, so I know goaltending" is a mind-blowing quote, combined with Prior getting fired for not changing his coaching methodology while Oates still sticks with his retarded left/right bullshit and driving Erat straight out of town despite being a very good even strength guy.

Oates is officially the worst coach in the NHL, worse than Hot Brains himself.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
gently caress Adam Oates.

EDIT: Well, gently caress GMGM too:

quote:

Even with persistent vacancies, the Capitals haven’t been able to find long-term solutions. According to multiple league sources, that can be attributed partly to what they describe as McPhee’s adversarial relationship with player agents, whose grievances include his refusal to communicate with them directly and limiting their postgame access to clients.
When a key free agent or a player with a no-trade clause — one who can name what teams he will play for — is available, the Capitals intentionally aren’t on the list, one NHL agent explained.
“It’s hostile,” another agent said. “Why would anyone encourage their client to play there when the organization intentionally makes it incredibly difficult to work with them?”

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 11, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Good lord that article is damming.

There's no way those two assholes don't get fired is there?

e: hah

quote:

While disgruntled, Erat wasn’t wrong. He saw less even-strength time per game than every player on the roster except Tom Wilson, Jay Beagle and Aaron Volpatti, and never skated a game at right wing, which was the position he played predominantly throughout his 12-year NHL career.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
There is no way they aren't both gone. They don't even have to fire GMGM, his contract expires at the end of the season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's not like Erat has been any good for the Coyotes. I think it's safe to say that he's just done and the Preds managed to sell high just before his value crashed.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Levitate posted:

Good lord that article is damming.

There's no way those two assholes don't get fired is there?

e: hah

quote:

Jay Beagle

wow.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

ThinkTank posted:

It's not like Erat has been any good for the Coyotes. I think it's safe to say that he's just done and the Preds managed to sell high just before his value crashed.
He tripled his goals from Washington and shows up to play every night it's just that the people he plays with have been abysmal since Hanzal has been hurt on and off and Vrbata is in the middle of one of his disappearing acts.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Lou basically said today that he tried to resign Parise for two years before he left but ownership hosed a lot of it up and that he would try to sign Schneider/Greene to extensions this summer so that's a good sign.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Are sports commentators paid to ignore what's actually wrong with the Capitals and just spout off random crap that's observable false?

Wrong thread but question remains.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

z0331 posted:

Are sports commentators paid to ignore what's actually wrong with the Capitals and just spout off random crap that's observable false?

Wrong thread but question remains.
They're paid to say crazy things about Ovechkin, so sort of.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

T-Bone posted:

Lou basically said today that he tried to resign Parise for two years before he left but ownership hosed a lot of it up and that he would try to sign Schneider/Greene to extensions this summer so that's a good sign.

basically gently caress vanderbeek until the end of time

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Hey Corey, you can come back to Vancouver man - we're getting a new GM, and (probably) a new coach and we promise this time will be different baby, we've changed, we swear!

What? No we don't have 2 backup goalies that we're trying to turn into #1's, don't be irrational.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Poonerman posted:

basically gently caress vanderbeek until the end of time

He did con Newark into the arena so he's not all bad

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
The Coyotes finally had their ownership bullshit resolved only for Shane Doan to get a potentially life threatening disease and Mike Smith to get injured during the final playoff push after playing his best hockey of the season.

Ribeiro had a disappointing season but was still 4th on the team in points. Yandle lead the team in points and had a good season but he needs a defensive anchor to play with like Michalek. Him being paired with a completely washed up and lovely Derek Morris reduces his effectiveness.

Maloney needs to get top 6 players and a 2nd pairing defensive dman somehow.

Free Agents: Vrbata, Moss, Bissonnette, Halpern, Morris, Greiss

Restricted Free Agents: McMillan, Summers

If Vrbata is used as a 2nd/3rd line guy he's alright but his disappearing act gets old so if he wants to get megabucks I wouldn't be broken up if he finds them elsewhere. Bissonnette is a good energy/locker room guy and should've got more ice time this year. Summers should be kept, he's a better 6/7 guy than Schlemko. Greiss is an average back up that lets in too many soft goals, would be okay with him staying for cheap. Morris needs to go far away and McMillan doesn't belong in the NHL.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

JawKnee posted:

What? No we don't have 2 backup goalies that we're trying to turn into #1's, don't be irrational.

this is correct

(you have 3)

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
This thread should have been started by a Sabres fan in early November.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Or an Oilers fan 10 years ago.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Thank gently caress this awful season is finally over. If I never see another game of Carlyle Hockey it'll be worth the hilarious collapse.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Toronto likely to draft 8th overall or better. That's not too bad :unsmith:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Come ooon new draft lottery rules!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

if the nucks can lose at least one of these last 2, and Carolina stays even or better with us, we should nab 6th overall :toot:

turbo sex bat 4000
Mar 12, 2001

do you know what the waiting lists are like even to get into an apprentice jerksmanship

JawKnee posted:

if the nucks can lose at least one of these last 2, and Carolina stays even or better with us, we should nab 6th overall :toot:

can't wait to see what feaster will do with it

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

turbo sex bat 4000 posted:

can't wait to see what feaster will do with it

God. The day Linden was named president someone told me there were rumors of Feaster being spotted at YVR :unsmigghh:

Luckily those were false

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Koopa Kid posted:

Come ooon new draft lottery rules!

if connor mcdavid were this draft the fix would be in

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
My team is bad because we went from "Luongo/Schneider" to "Lack/Some dude we picked up at the airport that's clearly never played goal before"

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

grack posted:

My team is bad because we went from "Luongo/Schneider" to "Lack/Some dude we picked up at the airport that's clearly never played goal before"

Would you rather that, or having a team that sees Evgeni Nabakov in net and says "Yeah...that's good."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Rotten Cookies posted:

Would you rather that, or having a team that sees Evgeni Nabakov in net and says "Yeah...that's good."

Yeah, let's see what happens in the offseason before I make a judgement on this.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
:sigh:

So, when's the lottery?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

fits posted:

:sigh:

So, when's the lottery?

April 15 :getin:

Should probably be in the OP, really.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

JawKnee posted:

God. The day Linden was named president someone told me there were rumors of Feaster being spotted at YVR :unsmigghh:

Luckily those were false

He just heard really good things about that particular Vera's.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Not a single member of the Florida Panthers hit 40 points this season - not even Versteeg, who was traded to Chicago in November. Brad Boyes just barely cracked 20 goals with 21 on the season to lead the team. Even Buffalo managed two 20+ goal, 40+ point scorers (Hodgson and Ennis). Amazingly, though, Buffalo was still just that much worse, since they're guaranteed to finish the season averaging fewer than 2 goals per game, whereas Florida managed nearly 2.4.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Devils are about to extend DeBoer, as they should. Great system hosed over by shootouts and lack of finish. I think Lou isn't loving around considering they are talking contract when the team hasn't played its last game yet.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Not a single member of the Florida Panthers hit 40 points this season - not even Versteeg, who was traded to Chicago in November. Brad Boyes just barely cracked 20 goals with 21 on the season to lead the team. Even Buffalo managed two 20+ goal, 40+ point scorers (Hodgson and Ennis). Amazingly, though, Buffalo was still just that much worse, since they're guaranteed to finish the season averaging fewer than 2 goals per game, whereas Florida managed nearly 2.4.

They also scored 27 power-play goals. That's the lowest all-time over the ratio of 82 games.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
Tom Gulitti@TGfireandice 1 min
Brodeur: "The position the coaching staff was in with having two goalie No. 1, just doesn’t work. It didn’t work in Vancouver. It didn’t work here too good. We didn’t make the playoffs."

lmao brodeur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
At this point I'm starting to wonder if dementia isn't setting in

• Locked thread