Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Out of Character/Discussion thread here.

Players:
1. beetroy ----- Alf Stewart
2. bell jar -----Jarrod Herdygurder
3. Bifauxnen --- Raj Narayan
4. Lizard Combatant - Buggy Swires
5. Sir Coq of Nandos - David Boon
6. splode ---------- Doug Johnson
7. thatbastardken - Selene Mǣnōn
8. Captain Pissweak - Marvin Dent

Ex:
1. Mills -------- John P Rothschild

It's Tuesday March 12, 1996, 9 pm in Brisbane. The sky is clear and cloudless and the full moon is bright overhead. You have (almost) all come to a lone corrugated tin warehouse about 30 minutes west of the city proper. There's a small church across the street, but open pasture and farmland on all other sides. There's a smattering of cars, pickups, and bikes parked out front. Alf, David, Doug, and Buggy drove their own vehicles here and parked accordingly. Raj, Selene, and Jarrod were dropped off by friends.

Buggy and Doug, you two notice a broad shouldered farmer wearing dirty coveralls, sitting on a tractor on the neighboring farmland, watching as you arrive.

Across the entrance hangs a cheap white banner reading "Radical Greens For A Better Cleaner Earth." You've all seen the flyers scattered around the city in the last week. This was to be the first meeting of a group that promised to make a difference and end the corruption in Brisbane. A mix of curiosity, cautious optimism, and concern for the Earth was just enough to get some of you to come (Selene Moon, Raj Narayan, David Boon, Doug Johnson).

Jarrod Herdygurder, you have come because you are hoping to gather some intel on the opposition and make your dad proud.

Buggy Swires, you have come because while you oppose corruption, you also are suspicious of new people and things, but also because the flyer said free food and drinks. You leave the Goose Wagon and its passengers outside, and enter.

Alf Stewart, you have come out of curiosity and all that but maybe also because a cute girl on the beach heavily hinted that she would be here and would be eager to see you.

As you all enter one by one, you find yourselves in a meeting hall. A microphone is set up in one corner, hooked up to a single amplifier. A table along one wall has some ritz crackers and bottled water set out. You see about 20 other people here, mostly college aged kids, with a couple of scruffy old hippies in tie-dye for good measure, awkwardly talking in the center of the room. Alf, you do not see the girl from the beach. In the corner near the amplifier, three greasy men in blue jumpsuits talk guardedly around a suitcase. As the last of you enter, two of the men make their way outside, leaving the third with the suitcase behind.

---------------------//----------------------

John P Rothschild, you are not there at all. You are in your boss's office, in downtown Brisbane. Your expensive clothes hang from you in bloody tatters, and the pulpy mass of viscera in front of you is barely recognizable as your former boss, Mr. Jay Ludlum. The office itself is a ruin. You hear shouting outside the door.

Please start your posts with your character's name in bold, so we all remember who is saying/doing what, at least here in the beginning. I'm sure after a few days we'll remember who's who.

Regular text like this will suffice for narrating your character's actions and thoughts, and put the poo poo they say into quotation marks. Put any out of character stuff in italics, as well as any questions for me that your character isn't asking and any rolls or actions you want to try.

Example:

quote:

Baron von Cool

The baron emerges from his chambers and surveys his keep of awesomeness. "drat I feel good." He claps twice. "Jeeves, bring me my Gatorade."

Is there Gatorade in this setting? If Jeeves is late, I want to try to intimidate him into groveling before me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Buggy Swires

Swires briefly surveys the warehouse and its occupants before making a bee-line towards the refreshments table. He nonchalantly fill his pockets with the complimentary crackers.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Oh I forgot to mention, Mills I can roll your Wits+Enigmas (3+0) with a difficulty 7, to see what the last thing you remember is, or you can spend a willpower to automatically succeed.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Selene Mǣnōn

Selene wanders around looking for anyone she recognizes, joining the awkward small talk otherwise. She makes sure to grab a bottle of water - you can never be too hydrated. She ignores the crackers for now.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Doug Johnson

Doug moves to a corner of the warehouse and waits for somebody to take the mic. He has no interest in talking to a bunch of college aged kids after his harrowing guest lecture today.

basically I want him to stand back and watch. Do our characters know each other yet?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Raj Narayan

Raj runs back out for a sec to try and talk his friend Chris into coming inside with him. Raj's parents never let him use the car, but they didn't want to discourage him having a 'sleepover' with the one friend he's made so far at high school. However, the whole reason they're friends is because Chris is an even more socially maladapted nerd than Raj is. Chris was too scared to even try and pull something over on his parents like the we're-staying-at-each-other's-place story, and now he's totally freaking out because it's already 9 and he should get back home.

Raj knows he's going to get ditched the minute he walks away from the car, but it looked like there was a lot of young people there... maybe he can make some new friends who would drive him home? He's starting to feel a bit freaked out too, but he definitely doesn't want to miss this. He didn't see anyone else there from his school, so he could brag about being the only one to see what was up with the Radical Greens.

"Fine, CHICKEN, just leave me here and run home to mommy, bye!" Raj heads back into the warehouse hoping he didn't miss anything.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Splode posted:

Doug Johnson

basically I want him to stand back and watch. Do our characters know each other yet?

No, you don't know each other. I didn't describe you all to each other because I assumed you all had read each other's descriptions at creation, although I guess I should have made that clear.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Bifauxnen posted:

Raj Narayan

Raj runs back out for a sec to try and talk his friend Chris into coming inside with him. Raj's parents never let him use the car, but they didn't want to discourage him having a 'sleepover' with the one friend he's made so far at high school. However, the whole reason they're friends is because Chris is an even more socially maladapted nerd than Raj is. Chris was too scared to even try and pull something over on his parents like the we're-staying-at-each-other's-place story, and now he's totally freaking out because it's already 9 and he should get back home.

Raj knows he's going to get ditched the minute he walks away from the car, but it looked like there was a lot of young people there... maybe he can make some new friends who would drive him home? He's starting to feel a bit freaked out too, but he definitely doesn't want to miss this. He didn't see anyone else there from his school, so he could brag about being the only one to see what was up with the Radical Greens.

"Fine, CHICKEN, just leave me here and run home to mommy, bye!" Raj heads back into the warehouse hoping he didn't miss anything.

As you run back inside, you notice the two greasy men in blue jump suits either getting something out of the back of a work van.

I rolled your Perception+Alertness and you got two successes.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ale Stewart

Alf's indomitable spirits are sunk by the no show of the girl from the beach and the apparent lack of tea or lamingtons. Not even an iced vovo. Not happy to stand for this Alf puts out his best "flaming struth!" and decides to find out who is in charge of the sorry state of refreshments.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
David Boon

Can I replace the bolded text with the :boonie: smilie?

Boonie stands a short distance from the main crowd. Aloof. Distant. Solid. He waits with a mild sense of dread to be recognised.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Alf

As you approach the man by the microphone, you're hit with a rotten smell and you notice the suitcase he's got is leaking a brown-orange fluid. Seeing you looking at it, he steps in front of it and simply grunts "What."

I rolled your Perception+Alertness(3+3) and you got 3 successes.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

JP Rothschild

Ignoring the commotion beyond the locked door of the office, JP nonchalantly saunters towards the cupboard on the side of the room. Stepping over the lifeless corpse of his former boss, he feels no guilt or sadness for a man that meant nothing to him. He can't remember the moments prior to this one but he suspects the carnage in front of him something to do with the quaaludes that he had ingested earlier. Regardless, JP is a man that prefers to look forwards rather than backwards.

Reaching the cupboard, he selects a designer suit fresh from the dry cleaners that his boss will no longer require; no open caskets are in Jay's future after all. After opting for a charcoal tone that better suits his skin tone, JP strips and re-clothes with remarkable speed; a habit picked up through a lifetime of extra-marital affairs. Patting his light brown hair down to the left, he moves towards the door. He unlocks it and calmly steps through. His thoughts have already moved on to the latest move in USDJPY.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
JP Rothschild

The secretary and a young paralegal, the only two here this late at night, are struggling with the front door to the office, screaming. It seems to be locked or jammed. They turn to see you step out of the office, and seeing the bloodbath behind you, they redouble their screaming.

You're not entirely sure if they're screaming because of you apparently mutilating someone or if it's because approximately half of the building is engulfed in flames.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Alf Stewart

Through the closing warehouse door, the faint sound of How Bizzare can be heard on a car radio driving off into the distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY

Looking up from the now blocked suitcase to the man in the blue sweatsuit, Alf eyeballs him saying "Now only a Galah wouldn't keep their lamingtons in the refrigerator if they want them to last." Pausing to sniff the air, Alf continues "I'm guessing that means you're Galah."

hambeet fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 11, 2014

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

JP Rothschild

JP curses under his breath. He knew those stupid bitches wouldn't be able to handle the quaaludes he had given them earlier but they had begged him. He'd been loving them both regularly for months of course. JP outwardly greeted the ladies with a warm smile that did not reach his eyes. "Juliet, Scarlet, please stop screaming. I don't know what you think you're seeing but you are hallucinating due to the quaaludes. Come with me - I'll get you both home." He approaches them.

I assume there's some sort of Leadership/Intimidation/Subterfuge check here to get them to shut up and follow me like little lambs.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

My immersion is ruined because galah is spelt with one L.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mills posted:

My immersion is ruined because galah is spelt with one L.

gently caress, LL is something else. FIXED.

edit: \/\/Also Merriam Webster but it definitely means something else!

I'm sure if I had money I could spel beta. Like JP.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 11, 2014

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Although, the poor spelling has also spread to Urban Dictionary.

I would suggest that entry was uploaded by uneducated scum. Let's stick with one L, I think.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jarrod Herdygurder

Jarrod has been quietly mingling for a while, somehow able to persuade these people that despite his greasy face and snide attitude, he is definitely behind the Greens' cause.
The two men in jumpsuits attract his attention, and he tries to intercept the briefcase, to find out what is inside.

edit:
spirit snare
power to talk to spirits
cause a thunderstorm
sense evil
appear innocent
thunderbolt
hear all whispers within 200 feet

bell jar fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 27, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mills posted:

JP Rothschild

JP curses under his breath. He knew those stupid bitches wouldn't be able to handle the quaaludes he had given them earlier but they had begged him. He'd been loving them both regularly for months of course. JP outwardly greeted the ladies with a warm smile that did not reach his eyes. "Juliet, Scarlet, please stop screaming. I don't know what you think you're seeing but you are hallucinating due to the quaaludes. Come with me - I'll get you both home." He approaches them.

I assume there's some sort of Leadership/Intimidation/Subterfuge check here to get them to shut up and follow me like little lambs.

They are far from convinced, and still terrified, they dare not move, but they look at each other with confusion. You seem to have calmed them somewhat, but your honeyed words aren't going to last against the continued visual proof that they are surrounded by flames in a locked building with a man who still has blood in his hair from someone he may have just brutally murdered.

That's Manipulation+Subterfuge (4+4), difficulty 9, and you roll 1 success. They calm down momentarily, but as the smoke builds up in the room, they and you are going to begin to find it hard to breathe soon.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Selene Mǣnōn

Selene spots Raj, and decides to talk to the kid because no-one else seems to be. Walks over, smiles and says: "Hi, I'm Selene. Do you know anything about what's supposed to be going on tonight?"

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

beetroy posted:

Alf Stewart

Through the closing warehouse door, the faint sound of How Bizzare can be heard on a car radio driving off into the distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY

Looking up from the now blocked suitcase to the man in the blue sweatsuit, Alf eyeballs him saying "Now only a Galah wouldn't keep their lamingtons in the refrigerator if they want them to last." Pausing to sniff the air, Alf continues "I'm guessing that means you're Galah."

Alf

The man in the blue jumpsuit laughs wheezily. His teeth are yellowed and foul. "Just another minute and we'll get started, okay pops?" Even a dolt could pick up on the disdain in his voice, but your years of experience in dealing with people as a job creator gives you some insight. This man hates your loving guts and is almost gleeful about something.

You rolled Perception+Empathy (3+4), difficulty 4 (this guy isn't subtle). You get 5 successes, which gives you information few others would have picked up on.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

bell jar posted:

Jarrod Herdygurder

Jarrod has been quietly mingling for a while, somehow able to persuade these people that despite his greasy face and snide attitude, he is definitely behind the Greens' cause.
The two men in jumpsuits attract his attention, and he tries to intercept the briefcase, to find out what is inside.

The briefcase is with the one jumpsuit guy and hasn't moved yet, the two men in jumpsuits have already gone outside. Do you mean to try sneak around Guy #1 to get a closer look while he's dealing with Alf?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

XyloJW posted:

As you run back inside, you notice the two greasy men in blue jump suits either getting something out of the back of a work van.

Raj Narayan

Raj sees them, but doesn't care what these gross old dudes are up to. He's got to get back to awkwardly not talking to people inside. But he's feeling more tense now, hoping this doesn't end up being some kind of crazy cult.

thatbastardken posted:

Selene Mǣnōn

Selene spots Raj, and decides to talk to the kid because no-one else seems to be. Walks over, smiles and says: "Hi, I'm Selene. Do you know anything about what's supposed to be going on tonight?"

"Uh. No idea. So you... like the environment?"

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

XyloJW posted:

The briefcase is with the one jumpsuit guy and hasn't moved yet, the two men in jumpsuits have already gone outside. Do you mean to try sneak around Guy #1 to get a closer look while he's dealing with Alf?

Yes

Jarrod notices the briefcase has been abandoned by two of its guards, and the other seems to be in conversation with an old man of some sort. Jarrod attempts to get in closer while avoiding the attention of old mate, to see what's going on.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Raj Narayan

"Uh. No idea. So you... like the environment?"

Selene Mǣnōn

"Um...yeah, I guess. My parents were more into this sort of thing. I'm not usually political, you know?"

She shrugs

"Just seemed like the meeting might be interesting."

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

bell jar posted:

Yes

Jarrod notices the briefcase has been abandoned by two of its guards, and the other seems to be in conversation with an old man of some sort. Jarrod attempts to get in closer while avoiding the attention of old mate, to see what's going on.

You start to slip closer, but the guy who remains seems to be almost preoccupied with the suitcase*, and almost immediately notices your attempts to get closer. He snarls a warning in your direction. "Get back, kid!"

Our first contested roll! Okay, you Dexterity+Stealth with the difficulty being his Perception+Alertness, -1 for being distracted, so 4. You fail.

*Suitcase, I meant to say in response to you. It's a little bigger than a carry-on luggage.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jarrod

'"Get back?" I was told by the guys upstairs (metaphorical guys upstairs, not literally guys up a set of stairs) to begin the procedure. I need the case for that.' Jarrod tries to guess at the purpose of the suitcase to see if the man can be convinced to let it go.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

bell jar posted:

Jarrod

'"Get back?" I was told by the guys upstairs (metaphorical guys upstairs, not literally guys up a set of stairs) to begin the procedure. I need the case for that.' Jarrod tries to guess at the purpose of the suitcase to see if the man can be convinced to let it go.

Despite your talent for spinning the truth, he doesn't buy it for one second.

Raj, Selene: You are engrossed in your conversation.
Alf: For a moment, you think you can faintly smell gasoline.
Jarrod, Doug, Boon, Swires: You all get a whiff of gasoline suddenly.

I rolled Perception+Alertness for you all. 5 of you have a perception+alertness score of 6 which is pretty good. I can tell I'm going to have a hard time getting anything past you guys. 4 of you passed with 2 successes, hambeet passed with 1 success, and Bifauxnen and thatbastardken failed their rolls. Not because of the conversation, just dumb luck.

The greasy man in the jump suit disengages from Jarrod and Alf suddenly and drags the leaking suitcase over to the microphone. He hacks some phlegm. "Excuse me, everyone? Can I have your attention?"

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Describe the building to me. Please be detailed about my knowledge of it and the girls' knowledge of it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
JP

The office is a small first-floor affair in the heart of historic downtown Brisbane. It's small and cramped, but very prestigious and centrally located. You know there's a small window that faces onto the street in the paralegal's office. There's also a stairway in the rear that leads to another company's space, and a back door that opens onto the alley, but that is always kept locked after dark.

The girls know the office as well as you do. You know their employer on a more personal level, though, and if you'd like you can try to figure out where he would have kept his spare set of keys.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Selene Mǣnōn

Looks up from the conversations towards the stage.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

JP Rothschild

JP shrugs. As the smoke continues to grow, he decides perhaps he is the one with impaired judgement. Turning his back on the girls, he announces over his shoulder that they should calm down while he searches for the keys to the back door.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mills posted:

JP Rothschild

JP shrugs. As the smoke continues to grow, he decides perhaps he is the one with impaired judgement. Turning his back on the girls, he announces over his shoulder that they should calm down while he searches for the keys to the back door.

You pick around Mr. Ludlum's effects for a several long seconds, and with a chuckle of bemusement, you pat the breast pocket of the suit you're wearing. Of course!

I'm going to say because you and Mr. Ludlum have such similar backgrounds that Wits+Leadership (3+4) will work for intuiting where he'd keep something, difficulty 7 due to the growing smoke. You get 1 success. You have the keys to the rear door now.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Buggy Swires

Swires turns towards the sound of the microphone, he hasn't heard the words but the smell of gasoline is vaguely comforting. Satisfied that he has enough crackers for his and Mr Downer's long journey home, he takes a long pull from a flask of the cheapest Angry Dad brand bourbon.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Have the girls seen me find the keys?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mills posted:

Have the girls seen me find the keys?

No.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jarrod

"Gasoline?" he thinks, "What are these people up to? Are these guys Liberals too? I better pay attention to what this guy has to say."
Jarrod tries to make sure that none of the exits have been barred before diverting his attention towards the stage.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

XyloJW posted:

The greasy man in the jump suit disengages from Jarrod and Alf suddenly and drags the leaking suitcase over to the microphone. He hacks some phlegm. "Excuse me, everyone? Can I have your attention?"

Raj Narayan

Raj also focuses on the stage, grateful to not have to worry about socializing for a while. But disappointed that the person he's got to listen to now is greasy jumpsuit man. He was hoping one of the cool uni kids would be running things.

Assuming by college-aged you do mean there's uni kids standing around, and not grade schoolers. That still trips me up too, so don't feel bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Is the back door visible to the girls from where they are? How far from the door are they? How far from the door am I?

• Locked thread