Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

anselm_eickhoff posted:

Most of the discussion so far happens in the /r/Citybound subreddit.
But since some of you started talking about it in the SimCity thread here, I wanted to have a place for it here as well.

Thanks for including a shoutout to the subreddit in the OP.

I think a thread here will do great, and I'm glad to see the dev getting involved directly on SA. Too often you'll see devs shy away from these forums or, if they do get involved, do it behind an anonymous puppet they are masquerading as a fan. Being able to interact directly with the lead developer is great because it offers us a chance to ask questions and have them answered instead of the thread devolving into wild speculation.

Question: How many polygons/faces does it take before you start seeing a performance hit at this point in time? We've seen some screenshots with thousands of buildings but who knows how fast the game is running at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Man, I'd love a city building game where you could get into building codes, zoning laws and housing ordinances and such. Imagine being a mayor and having to deal with managing the various citizen complaints and improving the local economy in time to make the next election! You try to get higher density and try to increase the height restrictions, but local citizens protest because it would destroy their property values. You want to expand your highway to improve commerce into the city and increase industry, but there's a stubborn homeowner that you have to try to use eminent domain on in order to get him out of the way! You're trying to switch to renewable energy by building windmills, but citizens concerned about noise and endangered birds try to block your attempts!

That'd be amazing.

This would be the coolest game. This is the kind of thing I want in a city builder.

That being said, I think it should be left out of the base Citybound (as already mentioned) and left up to the modding community. Can't wait to mod in something like this plus Americana.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

woah is that like an a-train re-make? I never really got fully into the whole transport tycoon series but I loved a-train. Although man some really questionable building choices there. Yes, this neighbourhood needs 100 gray windowless towers with a giant P at the top.

I'm sorry but do houses where you live not have bright red and purple roofs?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

It was already posted before, but SC4's system of allowing you to choose which "time periods" to play is probably the best.

Edit: And in no way should the base Citybound game incorporate a mechanic like this. Leave it for the modders to add time periods.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

anselm_eickhoff posted:

This was actually something that I'm already considering.
If I recall correctly, you were one of the guys worrying (rightfully) about an agent-based approach.

I think another way to circumvent the limitations that come with a heavily sped-up agent simulation, is exactly coordination.
All drivers and traffic lights are omniscient, so you can create unrealistically intelligent and efficient intersections as a counterbalance to the time pressure,
while hopefully still preserving high-level traffic patterns and problems that are interesting for the player to work with.

I'm hoping this is the sort of thing we'll be able to mod later. I like playing "traffic designer simulator" when playing city sims, so I want my drivers to behave like absolute morons. I understand that that in itself is a huge undertaking, however, and might in fact be so impossibly out-of-scope that it would bring the game to a halt under the processing load it would require.

A guy can dream...

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I can't wait to amateur traffic model analyses of my hometown from my PC. So excited!

Can't wait to see the functionality implemented into the rest of the system. Keep up the great work, Anselm.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

anselm_eickhoff posted:

Really not that exciting yet.

Edit regarding your edit: If the camera worked, you could see that I have somewhat of a sunburn going on, spent the whole sunday on bicycle

An exclusive sneak peak!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Thanks for the subreddit shoutout, Anselm. I'm glad you really appreciate it being a big part of the community. I'm there silently flairing posts users forgot to tag and upvoting threads to help generate visibility. I really appreciate you being so active in the moderation of threads as well.

A user in the thread volunteered some 3D work and I thought I'd throw in my hat as well, though probably for more 2D things. I do quite a bit of design and pixel/3d art and would be happy to help pro-bono from time to time. I have an out-of-date "portfolio" here if you want to check it out.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Post your 3d cities dude.

Sure.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

anselm_eickhoff posted:

drat ExtraNoise, did you tell me about that earlier?

That looks very nice, can't wait to see what procedural buildings people like you come up with.

Yeah, as a JS developer I'm pretty excited to get into the guts of modding Citybound.

Edit: If you want to have any "unique" buildings for skyscrapers, you're welcome to have all of my assets above. Most are simple boxes that aren't of any use but the 100 tallest buildings in each of the cities I've modeled are fairly accurate low-poly representations of those buildings that you might be able to utilize. They represent hundreds of hours of work.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at Jun 19, 2014 around 00:14

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Mandalay posted:

What program did you use to make those 3D models? Can they be textured in beech like BRIO toys?

Everything was done in 3DS Max.

Also, you guys were right about which cities. I was working on New York City when the recession hit and I had to close my tiny studio making these models. (I also had part of Las Vegas done.)

A few more:

Honestly, regardless of the recession or not, it wouldn't have been an industry much longer. LIDAR has basically replaced what I was doing.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I'd loving love some chill multiplayer to play with some chill friends. I used to do the whole region-swap thing with friends with sc4. So much work, such massive files. But that said, as a one-man project I'd really prefer to have a solid game than a lovely game with multiplayer. Cities XL couldn't figure it out, Simcity couldn't figure it out. Netcode and poo poo is a lot of work. If he could design the game so that "one day" he could release some multi-player region expansion pack I'd buy the poo poo out of that. But right now if it multiplayer means "no trams" or "didn't have time to model bikes" or "no form based zoning" then gently caress multiplayer.

gently caress multiplayer.

If I want to build cities with friends I can just have each of us build a city and we can both pretend they are neighbors.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I love the idea of providing public services in building my cities but I absolutely hate finagling with fare rates. Ugh.

Also I really love the idea of adding bike lanes as sort of a road "upgrade". Would be really awesome to have in the game.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

nielsm posted:

I think lines like that becomes too busy on screen.
My own suggestion is raster dots, something like this:

The size of the dots would signify the density. This would be a zone with rather high residential density, and lower commercial density.

I love this idea. What if the dots were simple geometric shapes to help make it colorblind friendly? Circles, diamonds, triangles, and pentagons +'s?

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2014 around 06:32

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I think the "neoliberal American method" is popular in city-building sims because it's relatively simple to replicate because it's modern and doesn't necessarily need to take things like local/national politics (and government changes/revolutions) or city planning styles throughout history into consideration.

Those would be a lot of fun, but that would be pretty ambitious for even the biggest game dev teams to pull off.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

But it would be interesting to see a game which doesn't do this. An example would be if agents in Citybound have other reasons to travel around and form traffic other than commuting, like visiting relatives or whatever (it could be approximated by simply adding a certain randomness to their travel patterns, just as people in real life sometimes just drive down a nice road for the hell of it).

I would love to see this modeled! Recreational travel! Maybe Anselm's new developer Michael might be able to incorporate something like this?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

After following your livestreams and updates and general system of programming you've inspired me to try my hand at a simple java city builder, well more of a region builder. If I ever get it off the ground I'll make a thread and welcome you writing 10 pages on why this or that pet feature of yours absolutely needs to be in my game.

No roads, no buildings, barely any graphics, just tiles and masses of spreadsheets to simulate the economic, demographic, and political landscape of your region.

Honestly that sounds a lot like Synekism's original idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Wow Anselm, that looks great. Can't wait to see the final product with intersections rendering.

Also, get some sleep dude.

• Locked thread