Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Was I right in seeing different types of zoning (in the vid, commercial and industrial) overlapping? Because that's awesome. Don't get rid of that, make it a feature. Mixed-use areas are interesting, true to life and also haven't really been done in city-building games to my knowledge. They would also make tons of sense in a truly urban area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

anselm_eickhoff posted:

No, they don't overlap... yet. There is mixed use commerical/residential, but that is its own zone type.
Maybe freely overlapping zones like you describe are a nicer solution, but I have to come up with a non-annoying UI for that.

So glad you've already thought of this. Either way would work, and I can see your UI problem. If you can figure out a good way to do it, my sense is that overlaps might be easier to deal with ultimately. Plus the flexibility of "open zones" would leave things ripe for unintended consequences. :getin: Especially when developing a city center, it would be really cool to have a mixed high-density commercial/residential area, with apartments/businesses popping up due to specific location (for apartments: waterfront views, less street traffic, easy subway access, proximity to parks and nice restaurants but not offices.)

... Now I'm going to blue-sky a bit as everyone seems to do in this thread, except about high density. It would seem to me the best way to create these sorts of dynamics, sadly, would be due to a "rent" system. Rent would be a fluctuating number, and factors included in the rent would differ between types of zone (much like in real life.) So, like the aforementioned for apartments; for shops, high foot traffic would be a plus; for offices, easy access. Everything within the locale is factored into the rent, but with things weighted depending on the nature of the prospective property owner.

Maybe living in the city has made me cynical, but it would seem to me a lot of what makes our cities change boils down to the rent. Which is, of course, ultimately a manifestation of everything else, compressed into one ugly number. I'd love to see cycles of gentrification and urban blight emulated in this game if at all possible. Sofar the dynamics in the game are a series of excellent supply/demand relationships. A rent system interacting with this could lay the groundwork for the densities which define cities.

As far as micro goes... sliders would work well for most stuff, and it'd be nice for schools and hospitals to have an "auto" mode where funding varies on the number of people using the service. So, optional micro with the potential for soul-crushing austerity.

• Locked thread