Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm totally geeking out over the transportation side of this game, too.

I really hope Anselm is getting the financial planning (in real life, not in-game) taken care of before he starts taking in money for alpha access, because holy hell did that bite Notch in the rear end when Minecraft started taking in money. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

pistolshit posted:

I don't remember this being mentioned, but is it possible to have a planning layer or a system of laying down proposed roads, zones or buildings. That's the one thing that always bugged me about Sim City is that you couldn't really play around with geometries without paying for something. It would be nice if you could choose to say a new road is just "proposed", lay it down for free and then if you decide you don't like it you can move it or delete it or make it wider, etc. And then eventually when you're happy with the layout or when the city expands enough you click on it and change it from proposed to real and it builds out. Everything proposed could just be like 30% opacity or something.

Probably just my planner/urban designer instinct, but I think it would be a lot of fun to mess with the proposed stuff as the city evolves.

This is something I tried to explain/propose on the subreddit but you worded it much better than I did. :shobon:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I remember right, the original "graphics" was literally text-style lines that had to be "redrawn" whole every frame, and that the rewrite switched out for an OpenGL tile map approach.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a wonderfully dense nugget of information! I was thinking earlier today, "It's been a while since I've heard from the Citybound guys..." and lo and behold, an update!

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's to be expected. Building an engine and frameworks and the boring nitty-gritty sort of stuff doesn't really make for compelling visual update material.

• Locked thread