Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Combining statistical simulation with agents sounds like a fantastic idea. It'll make up for the wonkiness of pure-agent based simulation while combating the tendency of statistical simulations to become static.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Man, I'd love a city building game where you could get into building codes, zoning laws and housing ordinances and such. Imagine being a mayor and having to deal with managing the various citizen complaints and improving the local economy in time to make the next election! You try to get higher density and try to increase the height restrictions, but local citizens protest because it would destroy their property values. You want to expand your highway to improve commerce into the city and increase industry, but there's a stubborn homeowner that you have to try to use eminent domain on in order to get him out of the way! You're trying to switch to renewable energy by building windmills, but citizens concerned about noise and endangered birds try to block your attempts!

That'd be amazing. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PureRok posted:

That sounds absolutely horrible.

Ha! Fair enough, but I do play Paradox games. I guess that'd be sort of like "What if Paradox made a city-building sim?"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

American Mayor Sim, where you manage your sex scandals and backroom dealings and don't give two shits about where a road is built outside of making sure the contract goes to your cousin. I'd play it.

A combination of Crusader Kings II and Transport Tycoon.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'd really love being able to micro-manage stuff, or at least have the option to. I just know I'd spend hours and hours fiddling with fare prices on the bus line, the hourly cost of parking meters, and various city ordinances. Having different sorts of traffic -- pedestrian, bike, rail, and car, like Baronjutter proposed-- would be really interesting!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

*PUNCH* posted:

As far as micro goes... sliders would work well for most stuff, and it'd be nice for schools and hospitals to have an "auto" mode where funding varies on the number of people using the service. So, optional micro with the potential for soul-crushing austerity.

Yeah this is what I meant when I said the "option" for fiddly micro stuff. Just uncheck the "auto adjust" box if you want to tweak the micromanagement things.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I'm wondering if the maps them selves will just be huge enough that regions won't matter so much. The demo map he's been showing off is 20x20. What was the biggest map in sc4, like 4x4 ?

Did he ever mention the scaling? What's the size of that 20x20 map in real world terms? 20 km x 20 km?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Don't stop until I can recreate the Greater Tokyo Metropolitan area!! :black101:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'll just make the same 1x1km town and replicate it 50 times, linking each town to its neighbors in some kind of terrifying grid.

Call it the OmniGrid. :awesomelon:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I knew what you were gonna link before I even clicked that. But no, I only wish!! Magnasanti: It's truly an inspiration to all city-builders everywhere. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

If the map is 50x50 you need 2500 1x1 cities to get the same size :eng101:

50 times each side, obviously.

Ah yeah, you got me, haha!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This was something I thought of while watching the latest videos where you had the demand bars fluctuating. It'd be neat if you could click on that graph icon and get a time-series graph of the demand for the various goods and services, making a wave-form sort of shape. Then you could sort of monitor the progress of your city's growth and try to get to grips with the various cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Where we're going, we don't need cases.

• Locked thread