Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

That merging was really slick. Did you end up using that flood-fill idea posted earlier? Either way it looked good. What happens if the next lane over is full of cars already?

Also I have to say that little town demonstration really looked great. One thing that often bothers me is these great huge empty spaces where there is no road access and to see it all bunched up, in non-linear shapes really brought it up a step from what I would normally consider fairly lifeless looking demonstration cities.

Finally. Stop showing off your nice mountains. You're making me jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

The crux of parking is that it takes up a lot of extra space. That's easy to achieve very simply without getting complicated at all. You don't even need to tie it into the actor system unless you want to.

All you need to do is include parking attachments to buildings as appropriate, and then if you want to get fancy, populate that that space with car(s) based on the occupancy of the building. In high density areas just have parking lot buildings spawn here and there.

Not sure parking is a necessity though

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

nielsm posted:

One (or two) more factor you might add: Public transit stigma, or private motoring sense of privilege.
That thing you often hear as part of the reason American cities tend to have trouble implementing public transit, with modern light rail or bus lines sometimes even becoming NIMBY subjects, "giving all them evil blacks a straight route to my home". If your city has been running on private cars for a long while, having some stigma against transitioning to public transit might also be a gameplay element. But it might genuinely not be a fun one, I don't know.

It's also a very american culture centric thing. Lots of places love public transport. Also bikes, lots of places like bikes too but they have this weird thing going on in much of the USA.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

That is an amazing set of tools. Extremely powerful and adaptable, but also very intuitive. Well done.