Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 14, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Baronjutter posted:

. How can we make a dense european city if we can't have street-walls of buildings gracefully following the curves and angles of roads?

Also the way you have houses generating is a bit odd. Houses generally have bigger back yards than front lawns. Generally there is a minimum front setback and then the rest is maximized back yard.

Well, which is it that you want? Yards or eurotowns? As this is procedurally generated, maybe stuff like that could be manipulated by a slider. Your building codes and stuff, allowing areas of such and such population density to develop tightly packed, space maximising buildings. Less dense residential will have more yard and garden space, and lots will be more square to preserve green space.

That's one thing I wanted to ask about, green space and parks. I love pocket parks and urban art. Will we be just plopping in park squares, or will we be able to designate green space and have it generate an appropriate park? Like a tiny park would just have a swing set and monkey bars, a big city park would have soccer pitches and trees, maybe nature trails, even a pond. Maybe base it off the region demands when it's built, allowing the attitudes of the day shape the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 14, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Iunnrais posted:

But if you could hit a button to advance the simulated era (and bring with it cars [or flying cars!], power plants, etc) I think it'd be perfect.

Or maybe have it a bit random. Every 20 or 30 in game years, something like Velocipede Craze Strikes City, or Citizen Buys Motorcar, Scares Horse. Any sort of transit building could scale as well, going from a stable, to bike shed, to garage, to ELev charger.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 14, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Vahakyla posted:

I enjoy Kiev ten times more than cities in the American South.

Name ten American cities in the south. Oh wait you can't because we've all merged into one souless expanse of swamp and subdivisions broken up by strip malls and Dollar General's.

(I do like Dollar General though, they always have canning supplies)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 14, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Curvature of Earth posted:

Excuse me? The official Houston city limits contain only 600 square miles (not counting water), a mere ten times as much area as Washington, DC. It's metropolitan area is only 10,000 square miles, barely more land than the entire state of Maryland—it's not even as big as West Virginia. Stop exaggerating. If you want a terrible city that's eating half an entire state, you're thinking of Southern California.

Well gee when you put it like that it's not so bad.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 14, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Baronjutter posted:

I hope in citybound we can make hellscapes like this

Not nearly enough of that is parking lot and abandoned strip mall for my hellscape tastes. Also, not beige enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 14, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Baronjutter posted:

There was a city builder that had a really cool concept where you built a heaven and a hell, you were managing the afterlives for a whole planet and it had a lot of really cool stuff. It had a horrible major flaw though, every single loving building in the entire game had basically a slider for funding. Depending on your population and a few other factors there was a single objective correct optimal setting for this slider to be and it was horrible busywork. They knew it was awful so they added a simple button you could press at any time and it would auto-set all your sliders. Oh but to press this button cost a ridiculous amount of in-game money. You had to pay to not do pointless busywork. Ruined the game. They could have entirely eliminated the entire mechanic because there was more than enough other stuff to do.

Yeah, Afterlife. It was super cute and clever except for that. And the soundtrack is fun and trippy as hell. I played it a lot as a dumb little kid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daDSrWd7OLE

• Locked thread