Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subyng
May 4, 2013
I think the fairest solution would be allowing the player to place the initial road.

I'm loving this thread by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What's the song at the beginning of the video?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I love reading your walls of text Baronjutter, don't stop!

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Re: scale versus granularity discussion

How about a system where your city consists of a bunch of nested black boxes? Say you have a 50x50 km city. That city would be divided into regions of arbitrary size (say, municipalities), each a black box with certain inputs and outputs. Select one of those regions and you can then look into the box. That region would then consist of smaller regions (say, neighbourhoods), again, each of them a black box, which you can look into. At each level, you have different management options depending on the scale you are currently viewing your city at. All of the different things you can do eventually funneled into a set of outputs (which might be encapsulated by the attributes of people entering/leaving the region). The surrounding neighborhoods will take in those outputs, but run the parameters through a simplified model so that other areas of your city will still react to changes you make in another.

So, for example, instead of running a traffic simulation for the entire 50x50km city, you only need to run it for the 5x5km neighborhood that you're looking at. Traffic entering you neighborhood would be based on a simplified model that just gives you a few parameters. For example, traffic density over time, composition of traffic by car/pedestrian/bike, composition of population by <whatever way we want to categorize our population> etc.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 27, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Nition posted:

I think not only is the a good solution but it's the Only Solution to an arbitrarily large city area. This must be essentially what SimCity 4 is doing with its regions. The only real difference is that here I think you're suggesting that some sort of macro-management could still be performed on multiple "regions" at once?

Having said that, this would be so hard to get right, and prone to all sorts of weird edge-case (and not so edge-case) bugs and issues. There's just no way a one-man operation is going to get this solution working well unless Anselm is a genius with infinite motivation. Having the whole city run the same simulation is just so much simpler, even considering the extra optimisation work required.

Yeah, basically you would be able to micro/macro manage depending on what level of the city you're focused on (individual road -> city block -> neighborhood -> municipality -> city -> metro area...just as an overly ambitious example). You're right that getting everything to mesh well would be a challenge, and it would require lots of testing and many iterations to get the "formula" for the black box to a satisfactory state. Having the whole city run the same simulation is of course the optimal solution but we already know that there will at some point be a performance wall. So the question is simply at what point do we want to black box our city and create a new connected region, and that's where the fact that these boundaries can be arbitrary comes in. If we let the players decide this then the system is much more scalable with regards to computer performance.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 28, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm glad you mentioned building footprints because ever since you showed us the zoning system I was wondering if and how you plan on showing the player how much space a zone has for buildings. For example, where I live, suburbs are often arranged so that rows of houses are back(yard) to back(yard) with minimal empty spaces in between houses. If I wanted to recreate this, I would need to know exactly how big of a residential zone equals 2 house widths. Another situation is if I have a small unzoned lot in my city and decide I want to fill it with something, but I'm unsure whether or not any building will actually fit in that space.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Citybound - a new intersection management game

Just kidding, this is really interesting stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

anselm_eickhoff posted:

and parking simulation amirite?

unironically, yes

• Locked thread