Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

I'm wondering if the maps them selves will just be huge enough that regions won't matter so much. The demo map he's been showing off is 20x20. What was the biggest map in sc4, like 4x4 ?

20x20 is pretty huge. Big enough to accurately model a medium to large-ish city, including some of its suburbs. Not enough to model whole regions and the largest of largest cities, though. Personally, I'd be very happy with it as long as agricultural land is not required for the city to develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

anselm_eickhoff posted:

The map size right now is actually 50km x 50km

:stonk: Are you working with some kind of black magic or is this the hard limit the engine can handle before putting in anything else? I don't understand much about the processing requirements, but I'll be incredibly amazed if this game can simulate the entirety of NYC with the level of detail you are proposing here.

I mean, this is what 50x50 looks like:

Would be so awesome though.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

J-udy posted:

Yeah, this. I used to play SimCity for the buildings. I play it for the roads now. I want to see a crowded road with multiple intersections, and decide between construction of new lanes, or playing with traffic light timing. Less mayor, more traffic engineer.

Simcity 4 encouraged this because there wasn't much challenge to the "buildings" part of game after you had a healthy budget and unlocked all public buildings. All that remained was minmaxing your traffic setup in the face of constantly increasing density.

• Locked thread