Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.

Smellrose

I'm very, very curious about this game. I'll be watching your progress. Banished was a fine game, but doesn't really have the variety of SimCity 4 which hurts its longevity. So now I watch this game (especially since SimCity 5 was... not what I was looking for).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

Welp, I'm tossing in some names then.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

I'm really liking what you've shown so far. And the size. I like the size.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

I am... impressed. That seems to be the sexiest road tool I've seen. Good to see you're on the road to success.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

How big are your hands?

Also, I can see myself just spending hours building roads once the tool becomes more developed and robust. I'm finding myself excited to build roads.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

Poil posted:

A lot of people accepted simcity5, so apart from the first one it won't be a problem.

That game breaks my heart. At least there's still SimCity 4 until Citybound starts becoming more and more operational. I'd play more Banished, but having a bunch of people starve to death when you clearly have food and even a marketplace is blah.
-
And disclaimers/clear messaging on what the phases mean would help to control expectations. Along with a timeline for implementing planned features.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

If there is co-operative multiplayer, we should definitely be able to mash x in order to help our friend's city up a ledge.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

Baronjutter posted:

I'd much rather have "little" 5x5 or 10x10 maps but with lots of detail and gameplay vs massive 50x50 maps with no depth or charm. Cities XL proved bigger isn't always better.

As long as it doesn't end up as Townbound like SimCity 5, I'll be a happy camper. The map size really just feels like a limiter being removed allowing you to go as big as you can handle before that burning smell hits you. I remember when we submitted names for the shops/buildings, so there's a bit of personalization already. Oh man, what if we could name streets? I'd go for max goofiness.

SimCity 5 is a Countach, very flashy. Townbound will hopefully be a Gallardo with its good handling representing good simulation(Top Gear, mmm). SimCity 4 is the Citreon Saxo due to all the modding. Boom.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

I've never been so scared.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

Volmarias posted:

I'm glad that we are all designing the game for the OP, making it should be easy for him thanks to us!

I demand a driverless car system for cities with tech prowess. It will reduce fatalities and congestion! It is neat though to see Google working on robo-cars.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

DrSunshine posted:

Magnasanti: It's truly an inspiration to all city-builders everywhere.

If you want to realize a terrible dystopia where people are nothing more than brainwashed cogs in a machine, then yes. No one lives past 50 in that city. It's scawy and interesting.

http://www.vice.com/read/the-totali...o-beat-sim-city

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

Nice little joke in there, anselm.

That road building tool continues to become more and more fantastic.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

Those are some crazy looking residential structures for a city sim game (in my experience). It's as if they're trying to spell out a message.

Seeing the game at this stage, I'm curious to know if you can simulate a suburbia or will residential zones end up becoming high density residential buildings depending on demands? I guess I'm asking whether the game will be able to simulate urban, suburbia, and rural residential settings in one city.

Or I'm crazy. Anyway, it's looking good. I'll play some SimCity 4 in the meantime.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

Now I just want to build a road maze between a patch of residential with two patches of commercial and industrial sitting on the opposite side of the map.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

^^

anselm_eickhoff posted:

got stuck with a geometry problem in my code

You just need to approach the problem from the right angle.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

HermsgervÝrden posted:

Why can't all of you just be normal?

I might be normal, but I don't have proof.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

anselm_eickhoff posted:

These geometry puns are a cancer to this thread. (Okay, okay, that's hyperbolic)

The parabolas on this guy.

Hopefully the test is/was successful.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

My vote is Russia. Cities that are bound mean good times, comrade general.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

I'm lurky.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

That, sir, is a term paper.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

Make sure you two communicate well so that your ideas mesh well with each other while enhancing the vision. It's good to have another pair of hands on the project. Codes, codes, codes.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

Nition posted:

So you'll start tweaking it, cutting features where you can, allowing a little imprecision in exchange for performance. It's still not enough. You're cutting vehicle types, simplifying trips, you realise you could massively optimise the system if vehicles would only turn left... and suddenly it's SimCity 5.

I did not expect to read such a terrifying story in this thread.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

You could have an instruction manual dedicated just for the road building aspect of Citybound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Smellrose

This is all sounding very impressive.

• Locked thread