Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

This is looking really cool so far. I'm wondering, do you have ideas about reasonable upper bounds on city scale? Not just in terms of residents, but also spatially. How much area will you expect the largest player cities to cover? How far out will we be able to zoom? And how long do you think it might take a player to grow a city that runs up against the limits of feasibility?

I understand if you can't answer any of that because it's too early to tell, of course. But if Citybound can handle a city like Hong Kong or Los Angeles, and make such a city still be fun to play with, it'll probably be my favorite game of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

anselm_eickhoff posted:

It is indeed hard to say this early on, but I can say that space alone won't be a limit, just how much you put on it in total.
Based off my prototype, which could handle 50.000 simultaneous cars in realtime, I hope to at least double that.
From my data oracle (which is actually a person) I get the fact that peak number of cars at a time in a city is about 10% of the population.
So I hope that cities with 1 million inhabitants would be feasible.

If you would be ok with using one simulation agent for several citizens that could be more.
Also if you are more optimistic in my ability to optimize my algorithms.

I'd be fine with bundling multiple people together under single agents, honestly. I don't think you need to see every single person represented on-map all the time. If the limit on size is your traffic system, then you could probably gain a lot just by making it the norm for two or three people who work together to live in the same apartment building and carpool.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

That is an interesting solution for time, to be sure. What will you do when things cost money? Have cash flow determined seasonally?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

Maybe pedestrians should be mostly on rails, like cars, when they follow a sidewalk or alley or something but can enter a kind of bumper car mode where their movements are sort of randomized if theyre on a plaza or shopping street?

Maybe pedestrians could have two modes, "get to destination" and "relax". In the former, they just try to walk to wherever they need to go, and in the latter, they meander through parks and plazas. Then allocate an hour or two to everyone's day schedule for leisure, where they are switched to "relax" mode. If the leisure time itself is assigned randomly, it will seem like people are constantly enjoying the public spaces in the city. You could tweak the random distribution so that certain times are more crowded.

• Locked thread