Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

pistolshit posted:

I don't remember this being mentioned, but is it possible to have a planning layer or a system of laying down proposed roads, zones or buildings. That's the one thing that always bugged me about Sim City is that you couldn't really play around with geometries without paying for something. It would be nice if you could choose to say a new road is just "proposed", lay it down for free and then if you decide you don't like it you can move it or delete it or make it wider, etc. And then eventually when you're happy with the layout or when the city expands enough you click on it and change it from proposed to real and it builds out. Everything proposed could just be like 30% opacity or something.

Probably just my planner/urban designer instinct, but I think it would be a lot of fun to mess with the proposed stuff as the city evolves.

that'd be a cool feature, because i always waste most of my startup money on roads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

what about adding a road that cost 0 dollars and has like 1 lane or something and causes a huge clusterfuck if you actually try to use it for anything other than just road planning?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

to be honest if you made an intersection simulator i'd probably play that all day long. that's what i always wanted in simcity. "noooo, this green turn arrow should be green for twice as long during rush hour to alleviate the backup arrrrrrrrrgh!"

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I don't want to micromanage all intersections, but eventually on any game that tries to model individual drivers they will end up doing some stupid behavior that has nothing to do with city design, and ruins part of the fun because you have to destroy it or live with stupid traffic jams that shouldn't be there. I just want to focus on building a city too: the city i want, not the city i have to build because of dumb agents.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

if graphics get in the way of "city size" or things I can do, then get rid of graphics. Simulation should always come first, and I'd totally play a city sim that looked like that gif up there, which seems not computationally expensive.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

anselm_eickhoff posted:

Thanks for your understanding

this is quite the assumption :mad:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

sim tower was easy, but you had to set all your hotel prices down to the lowest price option. then they'd get hella full and you'd make a shitload of money. I worked out a great pattern, with a maid service on every floor so the whole hotel could get cleaned by the next day.

were condos the ones you couldn't destruct later?

miss my yellow VIP :(

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Subyng posted:

Citybound - a new intersection management game

Just kidding, this is really interesting stuff!

I want to play this :(

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

looks really cool :) super customizable and controllable.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

It'd be really loving cool if you could alter the setback space after buildings were already in without loving up the buildings. One that that always SUPER annoyed me in city sims was that changing anything meant losing all your old buildings. There was no sense of permanence/history.

Like it'd be sweet if you could add a lane to the road, add parking, add a park, sidewalks, etc. Move the road in and put a park in the middle of the lanes, or a railway in the middle, all that kind of stuff. As long as it wasn't so wide that it hit the building, the buildings would stay and "adjust" to the new setback space. I would love you forever.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

nah he needs a game that is just a parking lot with one way in and one way out. when the parking lot fills up you watch cars drive around looking for spots, and then you collect your money when they leave. you lose money every time a potential customer gets angry at the lack of parking and drives off.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

goon project guys. he probably gave up a while ago. "starting all over" was the death knell.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i downloaded your .exe. after about 30 seconds it froze so i quit, restarted, and then after drawing one simple road segment it actually crashed my computer. i haven't seen that in a while, so congratulations?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

does it have any sort of error logging that might be useful to give him? I'm not really eager to reopen it when it crashes my entire computer, but would do it if it logged relevent info

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I'm running windows 10 and have all my windows updates installed, and play games from steam all the time no problem, so I dunno if it's a graphics card driver issue or what.

anyway, it didn't ruin my day, I'm not mad or nothin. I knew it could have happened. It's just been so long since I've seen anything actually crash my computer that I was honestly just a bit stunned. If there's any way I can give more useful feedback, let me know :)

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Having that in in depth stuff could be fun, but only if it's not a chore later in the game. Will stuff increase efficiency automatically, or will you have to go through and upgrade every building manually?

I think the problem a lot of City sims have is a feature that works on a small scale, and is even fun while you're seeing up a city, becomes a headache and detracts from your enjoyment as your city gets larger and you shift to a more overall plan/design/layout stage. Like in one recent city sim, there would be fires and you had to direct fire engines there. That was kinda fun the first few times, but as my city got bigger more stuff caught on fire, and i felt like i had to pause my actual game play to deal with all the god drat fires. I remember this being my main complaint about Spore too: you had to fly back to defend your planets from constant attack. It wasnt hard or fun anymore.

Just something to keep in mind. I would recommend ways to automate a lot of the features late game. They can be skills you unlock or whatever. Make new sets of challenges for late game, not just more of the early stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i feel like power lines/water pipes always fall into this trap. at first, getting power to your city and providing it water are challenging. you have to spend your limited resources on this stuff, and decide whether or not to build a pollutey powerplant further off and attach it with expensive lines, etc. However, late game, when money doesn't matter as much anymore (in most sims) and you're just loving around, it gets kind of annoying to redesign a section but have half your city die because you accidentally destroyed a one-tile long pipe or something. it's like "jesus just do all that poo poo automatically. of course i want all my blocks to have water and power, just assume so and tell me if i need to build another power plant to accomdate that." even if it's part of the simulation and you have to build some sort of electric company to send out little trucks and what not, it'd be nice to just remove that "chore" from the gameplay, as it's not really fun or hard anymore, but a pain in the rear end. It'd be awesome as like ^ said, there was a way to abstract it a bit without losing what made it unique in the first place.

• Locked thread