Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but are overpasses a thing that will be in the game? The worst part of the new Sim city was that everything, EVERYTHING, was an at grade intersection unless you did fuckery to force it not to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

smr posted:

Multiplayer shoehorned into the design has killed more good games...

I just want to make sure the "I don't give a red-headed step-gently caress about multiplayer" faction gets its say here

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Multiplayer is not an appealing aspect of city builder sims for me. I don't want to start making my zen garden region and having my neighbor design his city in the shape of dickbutt.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm glad that we are all designing the game for the OP, making it should be easy for him thanks to us!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nition posted:

I wonder how SimCity 4 calculates traffic flow to/from other cities in the region? The hardest part of a region-based simulation would probably be getting accurate commute data without having to actually simulate the surrounding cities.

Poorly. Traffic can transit through regions, including in a loop, potentially resulting in a traffic ouroboros that only gets larger and larger until you demolish the roads.

Or put up toll booths and make obscene sums of revenue

There's no TTL concept or original region info, just a number on a connection road.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shanakin posted:

That merging was really slick. Did you end up using that flood-fill idea posted earlier? Either way it looked good. What happens if the next lane over is full of cars already?

Also I have to say that little town demonstration really looked great. One thing that often bothers me is these great huge empty spaces where there is no road access and to see it all bunched up, in non-linear shapes really brought it up a step from what I would normally consider fairly lifeless looking demonstration cities.

Finally. Stop showing off your nice mountains. You're making me jealous.

Something I did notice from that particular video is that the residential area had a tiny gap between itself and the road (in the back, on the curve). Does the residential area need to be directly adjacent to the road, or is it ok for it to be just close enough?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I'm also not that interested in intersection micromanagement, I want a build a city, not just a transport network, including facilities and parks and whatnot.

Since this thread is now an informal poll, same here. That said, it drives me crazy when there's no way to improve your traffic situation due to an agent based simulation and a lack of viable alternatives. I'm looking at you, lack of overpasses in SC5 and Tropico 4!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

bonds0097 posted:

Sure, but the CPU-intensive nature of simulation games is well-established. Look at Gnomoria or Rimworld or what have you. Games with lots of variables and real-time calculations (that don't involve drawing things on the screen) are by definition CPU-bound. What would be really interesting is if a game like Dwarf Fortress, with minimal graphics, took advantage of the GPU by offloading some calculations to it, leveraging CUDA or Mantle or whatever.

There's the low-hanging fruit of not making DF be some sort of shambling coding horror which would probably do wonders.

Hell, I'd be happy if there was an API for DF to let people write their own graphics interface, so that we could get actual 3D graphics, which frankly wouldn't be that hard, instead of making everything be an OpenGL driven sprite.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It also sounds like the antithesis of fun, and a lot of Dev work for something that will only interest and satisfy traffic nerds, while turning off casual players.

It's me, I'm the filthy casual who just wants to draw roads and watch cars go by and little houses spring up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hey, Anselm, are you planning on having sensible defaults for intersections etc for filthy casuals like myself who just want to place roads and zones, and watch my minions citizens go about their day?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shadowlz posted:

Why cant he be unhappy in low level IT like the rest of us!?

Fixed

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Supraluminal posted:

Anyone who thinks they want to make games because it would be so cool and fun and easy should be forced to watch these dev diary videos.

And frankly, Anselm is doing a dramatically better job than I think I would if I were in his place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Neat. You're aware that this kind of thing already exists, and is generally used to support TC style mods? Having extreme customizability for your game can be a pretty neat thing.