Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

crabrock posted:

to be honest if you made an intersection simulator i'd probably play that all day long. that's what i always wanted in simcity. "noooo, this green turn arrow should be green for twice as long during rush hour to alleviate the backup arrrrrrrrrgh!"

Well, let's be fair, SimCity is basically a huge traffic simulator with some bits around the edge.

Kinda like SimTower was an elaborate Elevator Simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I mean dwarf fortress is actually a very cpu intensive game and it basically has no graphics.

You're not wrong, but DF is a terrible example because Toady is a self-taught programmer who never bothered to learn how to actually do things and it's well known to be horrifically put together.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DFHack lets you pull the current state of the game for display purposes, but it doesn't contain interface and control hooks, sadly. You still have to actually play through the main window controls and horrifying menus.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

But it would be interesting to see a game which doesn't do this. An example would be if agents in Citybound have other reasons to travel around and form traffic other than commuting, like visiting relatives or whatever (it could be approximated by simply adding a certain randomness to their travel patterns, just as people in real life sometimes just drive down a nice road for the hell of it).

Speaking of which - and speaking of parking - does Citybound simulate travel to retail for non-job reasons? Shopping and such? Will it accurate have my suburb's local shop street as Traffic Hell?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm kinda reminded of how SimTower was often described as an elevator sim with some extra bits attached.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shadowlz posted:

Why cant he be drunk in despair in low level IT like the rest of us!?

fixed the fix

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Who said it's based on liberatarian assumptions? Simcity, especially the old ones, were liberal as hell. All the government services, government healthcare, massive public transport basically required to get a functioning large city...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Iunnrais posted:

The taxation system, in particular, is extremely libertarian. At the very least it's reaganomics. Tax the poor high, tax the rich less, and your city will thrive.

Only because you're managing a city rather than a country and you can just drive the poor out to be neighbouring cities' problems.

• Locked thread